Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Light of the following stats...

Started by SoonerSooie, August 30, 2014, 06:53:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SoonerSooie

Okay, Robbie Niswonger reported this: "Auburn's offense under coach Gus Malzahn averaged 286 rushing yards a game against Southeastern Conference opponents last season. - See more at: http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/smith-defense-eager-season-opening-test#sthash.0dHzpzbB.dpuf"

That is pretty staggering, and daunting. So, in light of that, what do we consider a "successful" day defensively? I mean, that is quite an incredible stat!!

JoeyCapital

I'll be thrilled if we hold em to 450 yds of total offense.

Hell, I'd almost settle for 500 right now. Auburns gonna move the ball, I just hope we can make em kick fgs.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

AloRaptor

A successful day on defense will be recorded on the scoreboard. You can make a lot of yards between the 20's and not have a lot to show for it. :)

rljjr

Last year we held them to 233, so you're saying we should do something like keep them 53 yards under their SEC average for this year. Tre Mason is gone. I'm hoping our D is improved overall. If we force Nick Marshall (specifically Marshall, not the backup who I think throws a whole lot better) to throw 25 times then we'll be doing great. His arm is suspect.

Pig Worshipper

"I think it's going to take a little time. I don't think it's going to happen overnight", Schiano said.

That's the money quote for us as Razorback fans. It will take time to gel on defense. If we "hold" the Tigers under 400 yards total offense and our own offense grinds it out, we have a chance. The main things I'm looking for today from our new defense are getting turnovers, good tackling and not giving up the big play. Oh, and putting as much pressure as we can on Nick Marshall!

knoxvillehog

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on August 30, 2014, 07:11:56 am
"I think it's going to take a little time. I don't think it's going to happen overnight", Schiano said.

That's the money quote for us as Razorback fans. It will take time to gel on defense. If we "hold" the Tigers under 400 yards total offense and our own offense grinds it out, we have a chance. The main things I'm looking for today from our new defense are getting turnovers, good tackling and not giving up the big play.

I agree with this. The Hogs D has to create some turnovers and not give up the big play. I they can do that and BA is improved. The hogs have a chance.

SemperFi

As bad as we were as a team last year, we had our opportunities against Auburn. With that said.....

Putting pressure on Nick Marshall and not allowing him to get comfortable in the pocket or using his legs to beat us by removing his running lanes will be paramount to stopping the Auburn offense. LB'er play and an improved secondary forcing Nick Marshall to make throws into very small windows will be as important as making him feel really uncomfortable in the pocket. Basically, force Nick Marshall into the same role that BA was in last year and make him win the game.

The Hogs just need to be patient on offense, play our style of football and impose our will on the Auburn D. We have the horses up front to allow our RB's to gash the Auburn D and hopefully a greatly improved Receiving corps to force the D into having to respect both the run and the pass.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

eric_mullins34

Agree on all accounts.  We are in a new day and age of college football, your defense is going to giving up yards.  The key is getting big players and not giving up the big plays.

We will let them drive the ball on 50+ yard drives, but the key will be getting that big sack to force them into 3rd and long forcing the punt or a long FG attempt, or forcing a fumble/pick.  On the flip side, we have to not give up the big play.  Don't let them throw a 50+ yard pass, and don't let them get the big sack, forced fumble, or pick.  We do that...hey Jack, we are cookin' with peanut oil.
Calling the Hogs from NEA!

TheRazorback500

Home teams have been having trouble in the games played so far.. I hope the trend continues..

Go Hogs!
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Turminator

Quote from: SoonerSooie on August 30, 2014, 06:53:36 am
Okay, Robbie Niswonger reported this: "Auburn's offense under coach GaMalzahn averaged 286 rushing yards a game against Southeastern Conference opponents last season. - See more at: http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/smith-defense-eager-season-opening-test#sthash.0dHzpzbB.dpuf"

That is pretty staggering, and daunting. So, in light of that, what do we consider a "successful" day defensively? I mean, that is quite an incredible stat!!

This is exactly why iI don't understand the logic that a lot of fans are following about the rain helping the hogs.  Auburn is a run first team as well.  The rain won't bother them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SoonerSooie on August 30, 2014, 06:53:36 am
Okay, Robbie Niswonger reported this: "Auburn's offense under coach Gus Malzahn averaged 286 rushing yards a game against Southeastern Conference opponents last season. - See more at: http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/sports/smith-defense-eager-season-opening-test#sthash.0dHzpzbB.dpuf"

Here's another stat. They rushed for 233 yards against us last year and 168 of those yards belonged to Tre Mason, who is no longer on the team. And that was with a defense that was worse than what I believe we will field today.

But I look for Auburn to throw the ball more and go back to a more traditional Malzahn offense with equal portions of running and throwing.
Go Hogs Go!