Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayette Villains: How NOT to stop the HUNH

Started by Fayettechill14, August 29, 2014, 04:21:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

http://www.fayettevillains.com/2014/08/29/how-not-to-stop-the-hunh/#.VADuPPldV8E

If you saw South Carolina-Texas A&M last night, you saw a carefully crafted, months-in-the-making defensive gameplan get shredded. So what went wrong? What can we learn from it with Auburn looming?

chitwnhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 29, 2014, 04:21:03 pm
http://www.fayettevillains.com/2014/08/29/how-not-to-stop-the-hunh/#.VADuPPldV8E

If you saw South Carolina-Texas A&M last night, you saw a carefully crafted, months-in-the-making defensive gameplan get shredded. So what went wrong? What can we learn from it with Auburn looming?

Thank you! Good info as usual.

pigsooietim

Lets not forget missed tackles missed tackles missed tackles !!! So many times USC could have gotten off the field on third down if they had just wrapped up !!! The most brilliant game plan in the world is useless if you cant tackle...

bphi11ips

August 29, 2014, 06:00:20 pm #3 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:21:58 pm by bphi11ips
Play faster than the offense. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: twistitup on August 29, 2014, 06:04:17 pm
Not again.....

Twistitup ranks among the best posters on MMQB. He ranks as one of the most intelligent and knowledgeable posters on this forum. Thanks for your brilliance in hogville Twistitup... I love your posts, give better information than 95 % of the posters on here.

bphi11ips

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 29, 2014, 04:21:03 pm

Different team, different scheme, different coaches.  You're incapable of understanding additional information. 

greenie

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on August 29, 2014, 06:10:40 pm
Different team, different scheme, different coaches.  You're incapable of understanding additional information.

You missed the point. I even bolded it for you, and you still missed it. Good try, though.

Bacons Rebellion

Calling All Hogs

Great analysis. You can sum it up with two sentences. Any quarterback will destroy a secondary if he has all day to throw.The best way to stop a HUNH is to disrupt its timing. I couldn't agree more.

Pig Worshipper

Nice breakdown - unlike the complete breakdown we saw from Lorenzo Ward's defense last night.

I believe our defense will be much better this year but it's asking quite alot for our D to be brilliant right out of the box. It's going to take us some time. I could see the Ole Miss defense manhandle Auburn or Texas A & M early in the year but it may be difficult for our D this early.
Our best hope is to play very well on offense and grab a couple of turnovers on defense.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 29, 2014, 06:30:18 pm
Great analysis. You can sum it up with two sentences. Any quarterback will destroy a secondary if he has all day to throw.The best way to stop a HUNH is to disrupt its timing. I couldn't agree more.

Thank you. This is the point that Choctaw Hog missed.

Kevin

Nice job.

To take a quote from herb brooks in miracle

You don't defend them, you attack them.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Calling All Hogs

Professor Pig

We certainly won't fair well if we look to play defense, as you say, "after they've already crossed the line of scrimmage."

Couldn't have stated it better, nice thesis.

bphi11ips

South Carolina had multiple problems last night.  The HUNH was not one of them.

First, their secondary did not match up - at all - with A&M's length and athleticism at receiver.  Not many teams will, I'm afraid, for years to come.  So yes, disrupting Hill's ability to play 7 on 7 will be crucial to stopping A&M offense.  But....

Second, South Carolina doesn't have the strength in its defensive front to beat A&M's O-line. That was apparent early.  Lorenzo Ward tried to play prevent all night.  Prevent seldom works without  big lead.

Third, Spurrier tried to beat Sumlin at his own game.  Mike Davis had 10 yards on 6 carries.  Maybe he was hurt.  Dylan Thompson was not going to win a shootout with Sumlin, Hill and his impressive stable of young receivers.  USC's only chance was to keep A&M's offense on the bench. It didn't have the horses to do I that, and Spurrier's reversion to his fun and gun days played into Sumlin's hands.

It will be interesting to see how A&M's receivers match up with Alabama and LSU's secondaries.  Those teams will pound the ball and at least try and control the clock.  If they can't, A&M may win the West.  They are much more athletic than most thought.  But their defense is still suspect enough that they will have to outscore their opponents to have a great season. 

Fayettechill makes some valid points, but the game last night was a total mismatch, and Spurrier's offensive strategy didn't help. 

Ironhawg

Let me give this a whirl.  I am absolutely not an X's and O's guy. 

1. Stop the run.
2. Get constant pressure on the QB.  You don't have to sack him, but make him make decisions faster.
3. Knock their receivers off their routes before they get started to disrupt their timing.
4. Sure tackling.

Well?

pigsooietim

The best way to stop the HUNH is to burn the qb's car and threaten his family. Duhh.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

sickboy

Quote from: Ironhawg on August 29, 2014, 07:23:08 pm

1. Stop the run.
2. Get constant pressure on the QB.  You don't have to sack him, but make him make decisions faster.
3. Knock their receivers off their routes before they get started to disrupt their timing.
4. Sure tackling.

Well?

I think if you do all those in one game... You're winning.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Ironhawg on August 29, 2014, 07:23:08 pm

1. Stop the run.
4. Sure tackling.

Well?

I forgot a couple:

5. Keep possession of the ball with ground-control offense and keep their offense on the sidelines.
6. No turnovers!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Ironhawg on August 29, 2014, 07:33:24 pm
I forgot a couple:

5. Keep possession of the ball with ground-control offense and keep their offense on the sidelines.
6. No turnovers!

You two fine gentlemen just described how to stop every offense in CFB. Hell, you could stop the Broncos if you could successfully do all those things.

Drawing it up and doing it when the bullets are flying aren two different things. 

Josh Goforth

Good points, but I agree with Phillips that the HUNH was not necessarily the.main factor, and that the air raid systems and malzahns are much different.
Playing more aggressive against the trips and the multiple array of screens sumlin used would not make.much of a difference. A quicker pass rush would not change a lot either when the QB is throwing the ball that quick.
One series in particular I remember where A&M called a bubble to the inside wr, gained 5-6, next play was a screen to the outside wr gained another 5-6, s Carolina tightened coverage and A&M ran fake screen threw a slant for another 12-15 yds.
Ward did definitely overthink switching to 3/4.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 29, 2014, 07:22:30 pm
South Carolina had multiple problems last night.  The HUNH was not one of them.

First, their secondary did not match up - at all - with A&M's length and athleticism at receiver.  Not many teams will, I'm afraid, for years to come.  So yes, disrupting Hill's ability to play 7 on 7 will be crucial to stopping A&M offense.  But....

Second, South Carolina doesn't have the strength in its defensive front to beat A&M's O-line. That was apparent early.  Lorenzo Ward tried to play prevent all night.  Prevent seldom works without  big lead.

Third, Spurrier tried to beat Sumlin at his own game.  Mike Davis had 10 yards on 6 carries.  Maybe he was hurt.  Dylan Thompson was not going to win a shootout with Sumlin, Hill and his impressive stable of young receivers.  USC's only chance was to keep A&M's offense on the bench. It didn't have the horses to do I that, and Spurrier's reversion to his fun and gun days played into Sumlin's hands.

It will be interesting to see how A&M's receivers match up with Alabama and LSU's secondaries.  Those teams will pound the ball and at least try and control the clock.  If they can't, A&M may win the West.  They are much more athletic than most thought.  But their defense is still suspect enough that they will have to outscore their opponents to have a great season. 

Fayettechill makes some valid points, but the game last night was a total mismatch, and Spurrier's offensive strategy didn't help.

Good stuff. I didn't intend it as a blueprint, just that there are some lessons to be learned. South Carolina tried more man coverage than its secondary was able to effectively play.

online-with-swine

Oklahawg

The link in the OP was well done. I don't get the beefing.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bphi11ips

bphi11ips

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 29, 2014, 08:11:31 pm
Good stuff. I didn't intend it as a blueprint, just that there are some lessons to be learned. South Carolina tried more man coverage than its secondary was able to effectively play.

+1 As I've said before, you have a lot of talent.

tophawg19

Two things come to my mind 1 on defense you can't be predictable . you can run blitzes but you have to keep them guessing where they are coming from. 2 you have to be very physical up front and the DB'S need to hammer the WR'S every time the attempt a catch either to break up the pass or create turnovers . Also it puts fear into the WR's when crossing the middle
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RexMentor

Always enjoy your posts. This is another good one and I think you have hit on something. All option attacks depend on two things -- the read and the timing. Disrupt them and you have started to beat them. We'll see what happens Saturday.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The Boar War

Nice job.  It will be interesting to see the plan tomorrow.

redeye

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 29, 2014, 06:32:01 pm
Thank you. This is the point that Choctaw Hog missed.

Is that what we've done in the past?

I think we've always defended Malzahn's offense well.  That's not a knock on Malzahn, because he obviously has a good offense, but it just seems like we've defended it better then other teams for some reason.

bphi11ips

Quote from: twistitup on August 29, 2014, 09:57:01 pm
Porking ?

Oklahawg could have been a Dean but for his penchant for night putting.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: redeye on August 29, 2014, 10:04:37 pm
Is that what we've done in the past?

I think we've always defended Malzahn's offense well.  That's not a knock on Malzahn, because he obviously has a good offense, but it just seems like we've defended it better then other teams for some reason.

Well, the 2009 and 2011 games were courtesy of Jerry Franklin and Jericho Nelson. Neither was an elite linebacker, but they were both perfect against that style. Good speed, flowed to the ball, and charged downhill when they recognized the play. They were able to contain a huge part of the field.

SemperFi

Really nice article and very informative. I consider myself football savvy and yet you taught me a little something. Really, nice job!

SC's inability to put any pressure on Kenny Hill, the poor tackling and the huge cushion that the SC CB's gave to aTm's WR's killed them. Kenny Hill could literally sit in the pocket and allow his Receivers to work for him. He rarely threw a pass that was close to being contested. He was sacked once that I saw and maybe pressured 2-3 times all game. The SC DL was undersized and was swallowed up by the aTm OL.

Like I've said in previous threads, SC's defense is going to be hard pressed to stop anyone this season. They just don't have the size and speed to be effective and made aTm look better than what I really think they are.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Gabrielhog

Lorenzo Ward thought he could out-talent A&M?  It turned out Lorenzo was the one completely outmanned.  Aggies could throw it or they were able to pound it on the ground.  They appear to be much better than last year.

razorback44

Quote from: jg8417 on August 29, 2014, 07:53:08 pm
Good points, but I agree with Phillips that the HUNH was not necessarily the.main factor, and that the air raid systems and malzahns are much different.
Playing more aggressive against the trips and the multiple array of screens sumlin used would not make.much of a difference. A quicker pass rush would not change a lot either when the QB is throwing the ball that quick.
One series in particular I remember where A&M called a bubble to the inside wr, gained 5-6, next play was a screen to the outside wr gained another 5-6, s Carolina tightened coverage and A&M ran fake screen threw a slant for another 12-15 yds.
Ward did definitely overthink switching to 3/4.

All of this. Excellent observations.

I still can't wrap myimd around why in the world Ward would abandon the 425 for the 34. Dance with the one that brought you.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 29, 2014, 06:49:16 pm
Are is a good article on how LSU successfully defends against the spread:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

This is what it is about. It isn't HUNH that DC's have to worry about. That's only about game pace. The style of offense is what is the worry. The correlation is that quite a few teams running spreads and pass happy offenses are generally associated with the HUNH.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi