Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Recruit Ranking (247)

Started by trashcan maN, August 29, 2014, 10:44:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

Quick Update

We currently sit at #25, and when we land a commitment from Gragg, we'll be at #19.

Our average star ranking is currently #20 including a 2 star punter. If you take out the Punter commit and add Gragg, we sit at #13 in the country in average commit rating.

There are so many teams lumped in with us, that the specific ranking doesn't mean that much. The bottom line is that our recruiting as of this moment, with half of our class filled, is on par with anyone in the country.

Through 2 classes(Half a class in 2013 and Half of this class filled), Bielema has signed 19 4* or better recruits.

It took 4 classes prior to 2013 to sign 19 4* or better recruits. Of those elite 4*+ prospects, this is what we got:

Andrew Peterson
Quinta Funderburk
Marquel Wade
Otha Peters
Calvin Barnett
Cam Feldt
Colby Berna
Anthony Leon
Anthony Oden
Darius Winston

JIHawg

The_Iceman

It funny how we sign the #1 punter in the country, and that drops our overall ranking. Kinda shows how it is not a perfect system.

Music City Hog

Adding Gragg and Pettway would put us at 18

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 29, 2014, 10:44:05 am
Quick Update

We currently sit at #25, and when we land a commitment from Gragg, we'll be at #19.

Our average star ranking is currently #20 including a 2 star punter. If you take out the Punter commit and add Gragg, we sit at #13 in the country in average commit rating.

There are so many teams lumped in with us, that the specific ranking doesn't mean that much. The bottom line is that our recruiting as of this moment, with half of our class filled, is on par with anyone in the country.

Through 2 classes(Half a class in 2013 and Half of this class filled), Bielema has signed 19 4* or better recruits.

It took 4 classes prior to 2013 to sign 19 4* or better recruits. Of those elite 4*+ prospects, this is what we got:

Andrew Peterson
Quinta Funderburk
Marquel Wade
Otha Peters
Calvin Barnett
Cam Feldt
Colby Berna
Anthony Leon
Anthony Oden
Darius Winston
jeezus, our 4*s SUCK!! Not a contributer in the lot of them worthy of the ranking. Maybe Leon. That's pathetic. But you left off my dude JWill.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Hollywood_HOGan45

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 29, 2014, 01:57:17 pm
jeezus, our 4*s SUCK!! Not a contributer in the lot of them worthy of the ranking. Maybe Leon. That's pathetic. But you left off my dude JWill.

Leon was good at LB his senior year. Other than that, a lot of swings and misses from Petrino. That type of recruiting his last 2-3 years here was about to come back to bite him. Lucky for him, it only affected the coaches that followed him.

bennyl08

2015: Froholdt, Storey, Hill, Bell, Rogers
2014: Jackson, Wallace, JoJo, Ragnow, Peavey*, Toliver*, Tretola*
2013: Collins, Henry, Kirkland, Koehler*, Washington*, Duwop*

So that's 11 basically unanimous 4/5* players, 18 superscore 4/5*'s that were recruited and signed by CBB. Allen was a Petrino recruit and while technically Henry didn't sign until after CBB, he was all hog regardless. Though, technically counts, so that's a sum of 12 unanimous with 18 superscore 4/5*'s.

2013: Allen
2012: JWill, Hatcher, T. Johnson, Peters, Wise Jr*, Ward*, AJ Turner*, Flynn*, Demetrius Dean*
2011: Cook, Funderburke, Wade, Peterson, Smothers, Tevin Mitchel, Gosha, Fisher Jr*, Minor*, Allen*

So in the same time frame, there were 12 mostly unanimous 4/5*'s, with 20 superscore 4/5* players.

2010: Barnett, Feldt, B. Jones,
2009: Winston, Wingo Jr., Knile, Oden, Leon, Berna, DD Jones*, Crim*, Moss*
2008: Curtis, Adams, Wilson, J. Wright, Nelson*, Hall*

In 3 years more, we had 13 mostly unanimous 4/5*'s with 18 superscore 4/5* players.

For reference, I'm using mostly/basically unanimous as in at least two of 247, Scout, or Rivals listed them as such with a superscore meaning at one of the 3 saw them as a 4/5* player.

Now, I do think this staff has recruited better than previous staffs, especially as evidenced by the offer lists for these guys, but that is not to say that Petrino was a bad recruiter. Simply that Bielema and his team are even better.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

15 players from the past 4 NFL drafts were developed by Petrino at Arkansas with another 6 players (at least, I might be forgetting somebody) making 53 man rosters as undrafted players at some point in the season (Bailey will likely be starting before his career is over).

Luigs and Petrus are not included in this as they spent more time with Nutt than Petrino. Similarly, I would count Cook and Flowers more under Petrino/Smiles than Bielema, though Wilson would be with Bielema given that 2 of his 3 years were under him.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hoggish1

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 29, 2014, 10:44:05 am

Andrew Peterson
Quinta Funderburk
Marquel Wade
Otha Peters
Calvin Barnett
Cam Feldt
Colby Berna
Anthony Leon
Anthony Oden
Darius Winston

Just shows that not all 4*s are created equally.

Bubba's Bruisers

I thought rankings didn't matter?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 29, 2014, 10:50:21 am
It funny how we sign the #1 punter in the country, and that drops our overall ranking. Kinda shows how it is not a perfect system.

Dropped our rank or our total points?  And there are many reasons why it's not a perfect system...like any other system isn't perfect.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Paul

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 02:58:13 pm
I thought rankings didn't matter?
from looking at that list, they shouldn't!

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

scruf

We are currently 13th on Rivals in Average Star Rating, not that it means anything in August.

trashcan maN

Weve had some high rated guys who panned out like JWill and Brey Cook, but my point was that we missed on our 4*+ guys at more than a 50% clip due to recruiting trouble makers and academic risks.

Pork Twain

Agreed, I wish in that situation, they received stars based on their position (i.e. place kicker and punter).
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LAHogfan123

True, by far not a perfect system.  That's why these classes should always be reranked by the time they're Seniors, which I believe they are, and then that's what fans should go by with their Coach and staff.  As you brought out Iceman, just because a punter is not ever a position they are going to rate highly, when you're #1 in the Country, its laughable to only get a 2* ranking, that is a star rating they give a player they haven't even looked at.  A great punter can change the whole course of the game, 2* my a**!

redeye

The player who brings our ranking down the 2nd most is Austin Cantrell, who has an offer from Oklahoma.

Things like this make recruiting rankings mean very little to me.  It's good fun, but meaningless.

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 02:58:45 pm
Dropped our rank or our total points?  And there are many reasons why it's not a perfect system...like any other system isn't perfect.

Are you suggesting that there's a difference?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on August 29, 2014, 04:37:11 pm
The player who brings our ranking down the 2nd most is Austin Cantrell, who has an offer from Oklahoma.

Things like this make recruiting rankings mean very little to me.

I would assume all players have a point value assigned to them, so when one commits, his point value is added to the team total.  The rankings are based on the total points a team has.  Maybe not.

Music City Hog

The punter didn't drop our ranking. If you remove the punter then we drop from 25th to 30th.

fakebobholt

The thing to look at in recruiting is other offers. If we are the only sec team to offer a kid, I worry about that kid. To often our excuse was we got lessor players and coached them up. We have to start beating out the teams we want to beat for kids if we want to be in the top 3 or 4 in the west.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 29, 2014, 04:43:55 pm

The punter didn't drop our ranking. If you remove the punter then we drop from 25th to 30th.

See, that would make sense to me.

I'm very perplexed how the system works if a team, with considerably less than 20 commits, gains a commit and then falls in the rankings...2 star or otherwise.  The only ways I can think that happens is if the service assigned negative points to that player or if another team(s) right behind us also got a commit that allowed them to jump us.

Music City Hog

Quote from: redeye on August 29, 2014, 04:37:11 pm

Things like this make recruiting rankings mean very little to me.  It's good fun, but meaningless.

Cantrell doesn't bring our ranking down.  If you remove just Cantrell then we drop to 33rd.   If you remove just Johnson then we drop to 30th.  If you remove both then we drop to 35th.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 29, 2014, 04:47:35 pm
The thing to look at in recruiting is other offers. If we are the only sec team to offer a kid, I worry about that kid. To often our excuse was we got lessor players and coached them up. We have to start beating out the teams we want to beat for kids if we want to be in the top 3 or 4 in the west.

I play the odds, so this is exactly correct.  O'Grady is a 3 star, but great offer sheet.  I don't care about his 3 stars.  I care about his offer sheet.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 04:47:51 pm
See, that would make sense to me.

I'm very perplexed how the system works if a team, with considerably less than 20 commits, gains a commit and then falls in the rankings...2 star or otherwise.  The only ways I can think that happens is if the service assigned negative points to that player or if another team(s) right behind us also got a commit that allowed them to jump us.

That doesn't happen

Music City Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 04:49:32 pm
I play the odds, so this is exactly correct.  O'Grady is a 3 star, but great offer sheet.  I don't care about his 3 stars.  I care about his offer sheet.

Bingo

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 29, 2014, 04:50:27 pm
That doesn't happen

Which is common sense, but I'm admittedly not up on how they assign points to each player.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 04:51:35 pm
Which is common sense, but I'm admittedly not up on how they assign points to each player.

Nobody does.  Scholars maintain the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 04:39:43 pm
I would assume all players have a point value assigned to them, so when one commits, his point value is added to the team total.  The rankings are based on the total points a team has.  Maybe not.

Yes, I believe that's the gist of it, but they also use some subjectivity to gauge how well each team "meet it's needs".  That's why sometimes you'll see a team ranked higher, even though a lower ranked team has the same number of recruits and a higher average rating.  Personally, I don't like that they do this, but I don't get a vote.

But in general, it's true that you'll gain higher a score/ranking as your average recruit rating goes up and that's at the center of our misunderstanding.  Technically, you're 100% correct, but if we sign 25 players this year, all those things would likely be higher if we signed Devante Lovett, who's committed to Louisiana Tech, rather then Blake Johnson, who's one of the best punters in the nation.  In essence, Johnson brings down our "core 25" rating, even though he's one of the best in the nation at his position, and that's just wrong, imo.

True, but see above.  We could sign 25 1-star players, and technically speaking, none of them would bring down our ranking.

hogfan870

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 29, 2014, 04:47:35 pm

Generally I agree with this, but then some kid like Korliss Marshall comes along

lefty08

he was referring to our avg star per player, thats about the only tool to use to see where we rank this early because some teams have a full class while others have single digit committments
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pork Twain

At the end of the day, when our class is full, the punter will have dropped our ranking.  Right now he just dropped our average star ranking.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 29, 2014, 08:12:08 pm
At the end of the day, when our class is full, the punter will have dropped our ranking.  Right now he just dropped our average star ranking.

Most services only rank you based on your top 20...at least that was the way it's been.  Assuming that's still true, then if we take 25, the kicker won't figure into the ranking when the class is full.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 08:17:45 pm
Most services only rank you based on your top 20...at least that was the way it's been.  Assuming that's still true, then if we take 25, the kicker won't figure into the ranking when the class is full.
Looks like Rivals, 247 and Scout count them all, just by looking at the 32 Tenn signed last year.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 29, 2014, 08:25:17 pm
Looks like Rivals, 247 and Scout count them all, just by looking at the 32 Tenn signed last year.

Then that's new.  Could be.  And how can you tell by Tenn?

Oklahawg

True
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 29, 2014, 08:33:38 pm
Then that's new.  Could be.  And how can you tell by Tenn?
They signed 32 players and if you average them all out, it equals the average listed.  They were the most extreme case in the top 10

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=9&c=14&yr=2014
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

I am still super happy we singed him because a lot of games come down to a kick

Oklahawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 29, 2014, 08:40:25 pm

Amen.

Dedicate one scholie out of 85 to a PK, one to a punter, and one to a snapper. Makes perfect sense to me.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 29, 2014, 08:35:07 pm
They signed 32 players and if you average them all out, it equals the average listed.  They were the most extreme case in the top 10

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=9&c=14&yr=2014
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

Are we talking about average star or the ranking?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 29, 2014, 08:40:25 pm

Yes.  Always need good special teams guys.  He's worth the scholie.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 29, 2014, 08:44:12 pm
Amen.

Dedicate one scholie out of 85 to a PK, one to a punter, and one to a snapper. Makes perfect sense to me.

One could even justify more than one each at those positions.

Tim

All this talk of moving up with a Gragg commit.

Do you not think that other schools will get highly ranked recruits as well? 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Tim on August 29, 2014, 08:51:06 pm
All this talk of moving up with a Gragg commit.

Do you not think that other schools will get highly ranked recruits as well?

Actually all of  the teams that are ranked ahead of us currently have a lot more recruits than us, they wont be adding nearly as many more as we will. We are currently listed with 11 recruits. Only one team ranked ahead of us has fewer recruits and that is Michigan they are currently ranked at 18 with 10 recruits.