Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harris column: Will fans buy in the way Bielema's players have?

Started by BadHog, August 29, 2014, 09:14:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Pig In The City

SoCal Hog

Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

JIHawg

Wildhog

I'm in...  But I need to see good things this year.  Anything less than five wins would be incredibly discouraging.  And if we only win five games, we need to be competitive in the rest.  This is a crucial year for Bielema. 

That said, I think we win six games.  We were atrocious last year on offense, defense, turnover ratio, and still were very close to winning 5-6 games.  We should see a lot of improvement in year two, and I think it will add up to around 6 wins.  We'll beat Ole Miss in Fayetteville and upset one other SEC opponent.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on August 29, 2014, 09:24:53 am
I'm in...  But I need to see good things this year.  Anything less than five wins would be incredibly discouraging.  And if we only win five games, we need to be competitive in the rest.  This is a crucial year for Bielema. 

That said, I think we win six games.  We were atrocious last year on offense, defense, turnover ratio, and still were very close to winning 5-6 games.  We should see a lot of improvement in year two, and I think it will add up to around 6 wins.  We'll beat Ole Miss in Fayetteville and upset one other SEC opponent.

It's scary to say, but I'm with Wildhog. 

LRHawg

I'm with you too, but with it being the day before the first game, I'm at Peak Sunshine levels.

Wildhog

Quote from: LRHawg on August 29, 2014, 09:28:58 am

I'm with you too, but with it being the day before the first game, I'm at Peak Sunshine levels.

I am too.  :)

Well, not quite.  I was one happy sumbitch in 2010-11
1909/1964/1965/1977

hoghiker

If I had to choose between the fanbase buying in or the players buying in, its an easy choice. I'd take the players. The fans will follow.

Wildhog

The anticipation might be worse for me this year than in years past, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Fans who do not like BB's style will not buy in, short of a sec title.  They don't like "ground and pound" offense, and they never will.  Many of these are the same ones that used to drool over Boise St and TCU, and we see what happened to them when they stepped up to finally play big boy football.

Hardcore football fans, fans that have a pretty good grasp of the game will be able to see the areas of improvement, even if it does not result in many more wins.  Are the stupid penalties eliminated?  Does the Qb stop staring down one receiver?  Do the Lb's play better?  Can the Db's finally find the football in the air and make plays?  Those type of things can be seen, if you WANT to see them.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 29, 2014, 09:35:44 am
Fans who do not like BB's style will not buy in, short of a sec title.  They don't like "ground and pound" offense, and they never will.  Many of these are the same ones that used to drool over Boise St and TCU, and we see what happened to them when they stepped up to finally play big boy football.

Hardcore football fans, fans that have a pretty good grasp of the game will be able to see the areas of improvement, even if it does not result in many more wins.  Are the stupid penalties eliminated?  Does the Qb stop staring down one receiver?  Do the Lb's play better?  Can the Db's finally find the football in the air and make plays?  Those type of things can be seen, if you WANT to see them.   

agree 100%
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hollywood_HOGan45

Great Stuff.

If we make a bowl, Id like to see our Hogs in Memphis and play a team from the big 12.

Jamie Jones

I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hogman99

CBB is building it the right way and we will be good for years to come. 

If you watched the Ole Miss game last night they have some talent, but they are very thugess and that will come to bite them in the long run.  I will take CBB style and substance over that every day!!

Go Hogs!!!!!!

holman24

got to prove it on the field for me until then it is all coach speech.

razorsharptusk

Quote from: holman24 on August 29, 2014, 09:58:16 am
got to prove it on the field for me until then it is all coach speech.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.  I'm pulling for the Hogs no matter who is at the head coach position.  This is a show me sport.  Relevance comes with winning. Before I buy into Bielema's philosophy, I need to see it produce wins.  I don't think it should take 3 years to start seeing this happen either.  Look at how many freshman TAMU played last night on the defensive side of the ball.  The days of waiting on many of the freshman to mature is over. Some of these guys are coming in and ready to compete right away.  I see some of the same type freshmen coming into Arkansas.  Can Bielema utilize these guys to help the program.   
GO HOGS!!

popcornhog

I can't really throw a magic number out there, but I agree with the sentiment.
WPS

McKdaddy

I bought-in the day he was hired. Long brought in a much better resume as the new HC than I would have assumed we'd have gotten (I was prepared for a re-tread such as Tubs or Butch or a mid-major coach...not terrible prospects, just not resumes w/ something similar to 3 Rose Bowl appearances in 7 years).

Admittedly, I've grown enamored w/ the more fun, more explosive offenses. But above all I want wins.

4-6 wins are reasonable this year. I've officially said 5 wins. Regardless of the number of wins, I expect to see improvement on the field as compared to last year. A lack of on-field improvement would be disappointing.

I remain a Bielemer.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cutehog48

I am still skeptical about B but will root my Hogs on no matter the coach!

Atlhogfan1

"Tell that, however, to the average fan who will forecast the Hogs to lose more than they win this year, and yet be frustrated and disappointed as that actually plays out. We saw it all last year from much of the fan base and shook our head."

Or the ones who say it shouldn't take 2-3 years to win.  Why?  Because we are Arkansas and we recruit so well compared to our competition that we can immediately fill our needs with players ready to step in and compete in the toughest division in college football?

No, I don't believe a large number of our fans will buy in.  If forced to predict how this will go, Bielema will build a solid foundation for the program on and off the field and will put us in a position to be competitive.  He won't be able to win enough soon enough while not having the offense they want to see and will move on in some fashion and try and recover from this huge career mistake of taking our job especially when he took it.  We'll find an inexperienced coach who will initially reap the benefits of what Bielema and his staff have built only to see it torn down and we repeat this cycle again. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoglady

I think if we don't get blown off the field and make a bowl game (or at least come close to making a bowl game) most fans will see the improvement.
Beliema's entire career and future as a football coach is tied up in turning this program around.
I'm really excited about tomorrow - hope we play a good game.
Would absolutely love to see BA have a great game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Biggus Piggus

Funny how many people have discovered the term "coachspeak."
[CENSORED]!

hoglady

Quote from: Kevin on August 29, 2014, 11:59:11 am
i bet kj's commitment brought more people over.

That was such a HUGE get.
I've got to admit it gives me greater confidence in this staff's recruiting ability.
That was exciting.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

poloprince

The fans will buy in once some W's are put on the scoreboard, until then all this getting the fans to "buy in" is tireless banter. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogsanity

Quote from: poloprince on August 29, 2014, 12:49:01 pm
The fans will buy in once some W's are put on the scoreboard, until then all this getting the fans to "buy in" is tireless banter. 

Nope.  Most of today's fans ( not just of the Hogs ) want 60 passes a agme, 50 ppg, and all kinds of motion and "trickeration", they could not care less about fundamentals, defense, or the little things that actually make a good team. And if you think I am wrong, just look back over the last decade and see the coaches and teams that posters here have slobbered all over.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on August 29, 2014, 12:58:17 pm
Nope.  Most of today's fans ( not just of the Hogs ) want 60 passes a agme, 50 ppg, and all kinds of motion and "trickeration", they could not care less about fundamentals, defense, or the little things that actually make a good team. And if you think I am wrong, just look back over the last decade and see the coaches and teams that posters here have slobbered all over.

I think you're wrong.
I think most fans care about winning.
It was just as exciting watching DMac and Felix run the ball as it was watching Mallett throw the ball.
The difference in those teams was one had an adequate head coach on the field - the other did not.

pigsooietim

Wait ground and pound is the only form of big boy football ? Didnt the Aggies beat Bama in Bama running a spread attack ? I guess Sumlin just isnt the football genius you are.

pigsooietim

I'm one of those fans who doesnt care for ground and pound. But I've been led to believe we will be allowing Chaney to throw the ball more from a one back set this season. So Im not so sure it will be a ground and pound approach. I want to be able to run the ball when we want to run the ball and pass the ball when we want to pass the ball the way Petrino did.

Country Stylz

Quote from: hogsanity on August 29, 2014, 12:58:17 pm
I love running the ball. Hatfield's Hogs, the Nebraska and Colorado teams from 20 years ago were some of my favorites. I'd like to see us mix in a sprinkle of the option if Peavy eventually takes over some day.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Wildhog on August 29, 2014, 09:31:13 am
The anticipation might be worse for me this year than in years past, though.
Im with ya. Felt sorry for ya a couple weeks ago when you were getting grilled bc the thought of a 5-7 season didn't make you all warm and fuzzy.

PorkSoda

I love a ground and pound offense.  I'm just not convinced BB will deliver.  I'm also not convinced that we are a ground and pound team.  we threw the ball around an awful lot last year.  I would love see BA as the best hander offer since the nutt years.  we have the RB's and talent on the Oline.  use it, instead of relying on an inept passing game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

McKdaddy

Quote from: hoglady on August 29, 2014, 04:12:55 pm
I think you're wrong.
I think most fans care about winning.
It was just as exciting watching DMac and Felix run the ball as it was watching Mallett throw the ball.
The difference in those teams was one had an adequate head coach on the field - the other did not.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Hog N Bama

I expect 6 wins, but really, really, think if we stay healthy, we get 7 GO HOGS!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

jrhardy88

I love blue collar,hammer the ground game,football.Teamed with a salty,smack 'em in the mouth defense and I am in hog heaven.Expect to see that tomorrow in person at Jordan Hare.Six or seven wins.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Pig Worshipper

Excellent article. To outsiders and casual fans, Coach Bielema may seem a bit rough around the edges but I think we have a real gem in him, a true "diamond in the rough". He is who he is, there's very little artifice in him and I particularly like the way he's honest with his players. Given time, I think he'll do great here.
Now, I've picked the Hogs to win at Auburn today because ... well, because I'm a fan in the most fanatical way possible! But, when I let my brain intrude, I realize that our defense, in particular, will need time to gel. Asking them to come out and shut down a high-powered Malzahn offense in game one may be a bit much. That's why I'm hoping our offense really clicks today. I feel like a kid at Christmas - will I get the Red Rider Bee Bee Gun or will it just be new clothes (yuck!). Can't wait to find out!