Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

At least Jessie Palmer thinks we're better

Started by HogGoneWild, August 28, 2014, 08:32:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogGoneWild

Hoggish1

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 28, 2014, 08:37:15 pm
We are better.  Our record won't be much better, but I know we will be improved.

If we are better, why do you know our record won't be better...?  I mean, such thinking just doesn't make sense unless you think everybody else has gotten a lot better than is.  Is that what you think?

Hog Milanese

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 28, 2014, 08:50:19 pm
If we are better, why do you know our record won't be better...?  I mean, such thinking just doesn't make sense unless you think everybody else has gotten a lot better than us, in which case we will not have actually gotten better. 

Follow me?

It makes perfect sense. We also have the toughest schedule in the nation.

HF#1

You can tell which folks have done their homework and which ones are just judging by our 3-9 record last season. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

fakebobholt

You are your record. No woulda coulda shoulda. You cant win 3 or 4 and say you are improving. As for the schedule, this is the norm for us. newsflash, we play the toughest teams agin next year.

HF#1

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 28, 2014, 09:58:43 pm
You are your record. No woulda coulda shoulda. You cant win 3 or 4 and say you are improving. As for the schedule, this is the norm for us. newsflash, we play the toughest teams agin next year.

At this moment, yes we are a 3-9 team.  However I don't think it's very hard to tell that we have upgraded in some areas and have had a good spring and fall camp.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogGoneWild

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 28, 2014, 09:58:43 pm

You think BB could move us to the Big 10? We would dominate that conference

hogville38

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 28, 2014, 08:49:48 pm
If we are better, why do you know our record won't be better...?  I mean, such thinking just doesn't make sense unless you think everybody else has gotten a lot better than is.  Is that what you think?
It's our schedule this year and it makes perfect sense to me.

Music City Hog

Our schedule.  You can indeed be better and not have a better  record.  I mean we lost 52-7 and 52-0 to Carolina and Bama.   Cutting that in half would be better, but still losses.

And yes,  everyone else is also getting better. Not just us.

wupigsuey

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 28, 2014, 08:50:19 pm
If we are better, why do you know our record won't be better...?  I mean, such thinking just doesn't make sense unless you think everybody else has gotten a lot better than us, in which case we will not have actually gotten better. 

Follow me?

Well, no. If we were last in the SEC last year and everyone in the league got 40% better, we're still last in the league. We're still better but so is everyone else in this scenario.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Ramtough

Quote from: HF#1 on August 28, 2014, 10:01:00 pm
At this moment, yes we are a 3-9 team.  However I don't think it's very hard to tell that we have upgraded in some areas and have had a good spring and fall camp.
I thought the spring looked bad and the fall was just your base defense and showed nothing on offense. Are we better this year??  I'll let you know at about 5 on Saturday afternoon if it takes that long. Who knows maybe Auburn lays an egg like South Carolina.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 28, 2014, 10:07:38 pm
Our schedule.  You can indeed be better and not have a better  record.  I mean we lost 52-7 and 52-0 to Carolina and Bama.   Cutting that in half would be better, but still losses.

And yes,  everyone else is also getting better. Not just us.

Everyone? So you're saying no team in the country has drop off? You think the South Carolina that played tonight could beat us 52-0? Not a snowballs chance.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Yeah Palmer is OK but can he totally zone-out at half time, not pay attention to any of the other commentators, and break the desk he is sitting at?

Music City Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 28, 2014, 10:40:43 pm
Everyone? So you're saying no team in the country has drop off? You think the South Carolina that played tonight could beat us 52-0? Not a snowballs chance.

No I don't, because  I think we have improved.

intelligence

That carolina team that played tonight would be destroyed by us. I think they'll get better though.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: IntegrityHog on August 28, 2014, 09:00:04 pm
I respect Palmer.  He has a well-reasoned position, and makes a good point.  Unlike hacks such as Phil Steele, Finebaum, etc.

Yep Jessie and Mark May give us more respect and honest evaluations than anybody else.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Biggus Piggus

We're not really improved if we lose ground to our opposition. That's my view.

I expect the Hogs to be improved enough to show it in the form of victories.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 29, 2014, 08:38:30 am
We're not really improved if we lose ground to our opposition. That's my view.

I expect the Hogs to be improved enough to show it in the form of victories.

Yes improvement is only judged by me in Sports by more wins not Moral Victories.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgon

I honestly don't have a clue.  My natural hog optimism that takes over every single year at about this time, tells me that we will be better.  My intellect tells me that I have no way of determining that.

I think BB is a good coach and we'll get better.  I'm not a BB guy though because I think he is a 7 to 9 win kind of guy in the SEC and never, or almost never a 10 or 11 win kind of guy.  Just my impressions.  I might be wrong.

But anyway, six wins should be just about the minimum acceptable floor for any hog coach in any year.  This year, that would be great coaching.  In a couple or three years, it should get someone fired.

holman24

Hog fans have gotten so use to moral victories that is has become our measuring stick and that is all hog fans have.  BB is a good man and a good coach talk guy but as far as an elite coach he is not.  Some of his decisions last season made that very clear.  I just wish he would shut his mouth about everything but how our players and team are doing until he can show he can win in this conf.

razorsharptusk

Speaking of Coach speak.  I heard the discussion on drive time the other day that the Hogs closed practices that used to be open. They said it actually started toward the end of Nutt's tenure and got super enforced by Coach BP when he was here.  Thus, their point, and keep in mind they are media, being that Coach B. has pretty much disconnected the fans from the football team.  The only opinions we really get are the ones from coaches and a few hand picked players.   Do you guys think our expectations and opinions of our team would be the same, if we could have seen more practices and made up our own minds about where we are as a program as far as improvements go, vs. basing our judgment on predominantly coach speak? 

Does it make you feel like less of a fan when you can't go and watch your team practice?
GO HOGS!!

three hog night

The real variable to our improvement on each side of the ball:

The unquantifiable variable on defense would be the improvement in our defense because of the press coverage giving the Def Line time to get pressure.   Our def line is good but was wasted last year because our corners allowed WR's to catch quick passes before the Dlef Lineman could get close to the QB.  Our LB's appear to be better and have added depth.

The real variable on offense is how much does the offense change when BA can make all the throws combined with the Oline improvements, and the WR's are bigger/better able to handle press coverage to get open quickly.   We have speed at WR that has been missing for 2 years.   Chaney would love to integrate some of his offense he had with Tyler Bray at UT.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

poloprince

Quote from: Hog Milanese on August 28, 2014, 09:08:20 pm
It makes perfect sense. We also have the toughest schedule in the nation.

SEC west is tough every year so........
$PoLoPrInCe$

Atlhogfan1

From a cynical viewpoint, Palmer may have been hyping the game he and Musburger are going to call next. 

Probably will have to mute the broadcast.  Musburger is too obnoxious. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

popcornhog

No, because we've gotten better. SC looked like they've dropped off a bit, but it's the first game of the season so who knows.

A&M looked better than last year.

WPS

HF#1

Quote from: razorsharptusk on August 29, 2014, 12:09:53 pm
Speaking of Coach speak.  I heard the discussion on drive time the other day that the Hogs closed practices that used to be open. They said it actually started toward the end of Nutt's tenure and got super enforced by Coach BP when he was here.  Thus, their point, and keep in mind they are media, being that Coach B. has pretty much disconnected the fans from the football team.  The only opinions we really get are the ones from coaches and a few hand picked players.   Do you guys think our expectations and opinions of our team would be the same, if we could have seen more practices and made up our own minds about where we are as a program as far as improvements go, vs. basing our judgment on predominantly coach speak? 

Does it make you feel like less of a fan when you can't go and watch your team practice?

Nick Saban closes everything.  I have no issue with it.  They aren't trying to fool us or pump sunshine. 

hogsanity

No, I think MORE of the coach if he closes practice.  I have never understood the fascination with going and watching a team run drills, practicing the toss sweep over and over.  I have much better things to do with my time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

No. Lived in Fay for years.  Rarely watched even a few minutes of practice. 

When the practices were open, we were fed more crap by the leeches like Henry, Dawson and Kirk who oversold players and teams. 

I don't know why anyone would base judgment on coach speak. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 29, 2014, 12:46:15 pm
From a cynical viewpoint, Palmer may have been hyping the game he and Musburger are going to call next. 

Probably will have to mute the broadcast.  Musburger is too obnoxious.

I saw Jesse talking about the Hogs and unfortunately, I believe he was hyping up the next game that he and Brent would be calling.  They have to do their best to make it seem like its gonna be a close game so that people will tune in and they will generate ratings.

Jesse may actually believe what he was saying.  We may never know, but what it looked like was Jesse was given the job of touting Arkansas and make an argument that they have improved.  Brent's job was to say a little something about Auburn and with that, the SEC Network was officially on to  the next game. 

The Hogs have a tremendous opportunity to "shock the college football world" on Saturday.  Auburn is #6 in the nation coming off an appearance in the NC game last year.  Their fans are rabid.  Jordan-Hare will be rocking.  This is Arkansas's chance to get on the road to being relevant. None of the pundits are going to just give us love and respect.  It will have to be earned.  Hogs can go a long way to earning it on Saturday on the Plains.