Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 1

Started by Razorback4, August 28, 2014, 05:21:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback4

Finally football season everyone! I don't know about any of you but I have been having withdrawals. Anyways, not long ago I posted that I would be doing weekly previews of the upcoming college football season, so here we go, week 1.

Games to watch:

#1 Florida State (0-0) vs. Oklahoma State (0-0) in Arlington, TX:

My first thought here was whether FSU will by affected by the hype and by last year's carryover. Make no mistake, I have no doubts the Noles win this one, but it probably isn't going to be a cakewalk. Coming off such an amazing and dominant season, going undefeated, winning the national title, having a Heisman winner, a preseason #1 ranking, so much buildup to the season, and playing a decent team on a neutral field to start the year....don't be surprised if Oklahoma State gives them a game. I think this one will be close at half, but Jameis and company kick it into gear before the 4th quarter.

Score prediction: Florida State 41-23

#14 Wisconsin (0-0) vs. #13 LSU (0-0) in Houston, TX

This will be an interesting game for several reasons. First, the winner of this game is likely going to catapult into the top 10 and the loser will be in recovery mode. Everyone knows with the playoffs this year, one loss and you are fighting an uphill battle for the rest of the year. Neither team wants that.

Wisconsin lost star running back James White, but retained Melvin Gordon and Corey Clement, a duo that will be by far the best in the Big 10 and could be one of the best duos in the nation in 2014. LSU ranked #36 in the country last year in rush defense and brings back a strong defensive line headlined by Senior DE Jermauria Rasco and Junior DE Danielle Hunter (6'6, 241).

Another fun aspect of this game will be seeing LSU's Freshamn Running Back Leonard Fournette for the first time. The hype surrounding this kid is insane, so we should get a good measure for him early on.

Score prediction: LSU 30-24

#21 Texas A&M (0-0) @ #9 South Carolina (0-0)

I have seen some crazy predictions regarding A&M so far. People picking them #6 or #7 in the SEC West.....folks I hate to break it to you but A&M didn't just fall into obscurity when Manziel left. This team still has ALOT of talent, great coaching, and tons of potential. That being said, they will not win in Columbia, but it will not be a blowout either. I saw score predictions saying 38-17 Carolina, 37-10 Carolina, etc. It's not gonna go down like that. A&M will actually be improved on defense and this offense is still going to move the ball, don't get confused. The Aggies will get a decent number of wins this season, this just won't be one of them.

Score prediction: South Carolina 34-24

GAME OF THE WEEK

#16 Clemson (0-0) @ #12 Georgia (0-0)

I'm pumped for this game. If this is anything like what we watched last season in Clemson, then I will have the popcorn ready. Obviously a lot of the big pieces from last year's matchup are gone (Watkins, Boyd, Murray, etc.), but this should still be entertaining.

First, I'm looking forward to watching both teams new Quarterbacks and how they handle such a high magnitude game right out of the gates. Georgia's Hutson Mason and Clemson's Cole Stoudt are both getting a trial by fire. To me, Mason will be more prepared and should put up better numbers.

Just like the LSU-Wisconsin game above, this game will have major implications as far as national ranking, playoff contention, and each team's mojo for the season. Clemson pulled it out last year in Death Valley, but between the hedges give me the Dawgs.

Score prediction: Georgia 31-23

Teams that should be on upset alert:

Tennessee- The Vols will be hosting Utah State and their dark-horse Heisman candidate Chuckie Keaton. The Aggie's Senior QB has a nose for big games (remember USU and Auburn in 2011?). Utah State is no slouch, taking USC to the wire last year as well.

#18 Ole Miss- Ole Miss seems to think this is their year...but so did Oregon in 2009, Virginia Tech in 2010, and Georgia in 2011...whats the common denominator there? They all had season-ruining upset losses to Boise State to start the year. I'm not saying Boise is what they have been in years before now...but Ole Miss can't sleepwalk through this game.

From the Cellar (possible FCS upsets over FBS):

Villanova @ Syracuse- Villanova comes into the season ranked #13 in the FCS and going up against a far less-than-impressive Syracuse squad. The Orange SHOULD wins this one, but a loss here would not be mind-blowing.

Montana @ Wyoming- Not sure I would even consider this an upset.

North Dakota State @ Iowa State- This one I am CALLING. North Dakota State, the back-to back-to back FCS Champs, #1 in FCS preseason, and they live for these games. The Bison won at Minnesota in 2011, at Colorado State in 2012, and at Kansas State last season. This team is no stranger to upsetting FBS teams. The Bison will win this game.

This week's post is a little short due to time constraints on my schedule. I will be back next week. WPS  :razorback:

-Razorback4

longtimeHogfan

I can't tell if you were picking Ole Miss to win or not. If you were you're down 2.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

LZH

I don't know why people are constantly picking Texas A&M to be bad every single year.  "Well, they were good last year, but that was an anomaly and they'll be back to sucking eggs this year......"  We see this each and every year.

LRRandy

Quote from: LZH on August 29, 2014, 06:24:14 am
I don't know why people are constantly picking Texas A&M to be bad every single year.  "Well, they were good last year, but that was an anomaly and they'll be back to sucking eggs this year......"  We see this each and every year.
you are right. "They are going to aggie" is a familiar refrain on this board. Meanwhile they are aggieing all over a top 10 team at their place while the very posters proclaiming aTm's mediocrity are telling you how the cellar dwelling hogs are going to shock the world.  Very entertaining.
This is fun, isn't it.