Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting 101: Commitable vs Uncommitable Offers

Started by greenie, August 28, 2014, 04:12:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

I think I have the most basic interpretation of these 2 things, but there has to be more to it. 

1) what's the point of an uncommitable offer?  Just to show that your interested, but not yet ready to reserve a spot?

2) when we see these offer lists on 247 (or wherever), are we to assume that all of these offers are commitable?  That seems unlikely to me given the length of some of these offer lists (e.g. Will Gragg).

3) I've seen many comments in this forum that state, for example, "oh, that's an uncommitable offer".  If these classifications of offers do exist (I'm easily fooled, but have no reason to think they don't), are recruits told up front what type of offer they're getting?

If it's cut and dry, it would seem like 247 et al would show the breakdown of the types of offers received by each recruit.  I can only assume that there are shell games being played with these offers, and the true nature of these offers may not be known by many recruits...especially early in the game.

I apologize for the basic nature of these questions, but this seems the right place to ask.

Deep Shoat

non-commitable offers are just that.  Basically, "we are interested in you and want to state that, but there are others we want more and will wait on them.

Either that, or "You are an in-state kid and we want to show the state we are recruiting you, but something about you doesn't really fit with what we do.  So here's an offer, go somewhere else.
All Gas, No Brakes!

wholehog92

It means we are on somebody we like better, but if they fall through or wait longer than we are comfortable with, we would like to have you.

It's usually not stated in such a way to the recruit.  It is stated take your time to make your decision, take your visits, make sure you are going to be happy, etc.  Honestly if I were a recruit, I would make a public announcement that I was acting on an offer and put it back in the coach's lap.  In my mind it is worse behavior by the coach to do that than a player accepting an offer and taking other visits.  The coach is an adult and has an idea of what an offer and a commitment mean.  The player is a young person just out of HS and knows what he's witnessed in society to this point.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hawganatic

If it's not commitable then how is it an offer?  That's like telling a girl I might marry you and I might not.  Not really a proposal.

I don't follow a lot of recruiting but don't think I've ever seen an actual recruiting person use these terms.  More made up by the fans who think they are experts...

redeye

A lot of times a team offers and then changes it's mind, but the offer is probably never officially pulled, and even when it is, recruiting services rarely update their systems to show it.

Also, I think many here tend to assume an offer is uncommitable too hastily.  I believe Santos Ramirez is an example, because IIRC, LSU ended up really wanting him in the end, after many assumed they'd offered an uncommitable offer.

Oklahawg

Uncommitable offers are those given with a condition. Typically, it is to a player who is behind another on the wish list. The school tells a player, "you'll get the offer if X player declines his offer. We have him higher on our board than we have you."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

CDBHawg

Committable offer = offer.

Uncommittable offer = not an offer.

lefty08

This staff will never make an uncommittable offer on an instate kid. Thats why they wait so "long" in the eyes of many on here. When they offer, they are sure about it and its legit. They wont burn bridges in state
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged