Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rule Changes 2015

Started by ucahogfan, August 28, 2014, 01:54:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/umpires-allowed-conference-use-video-%E2%80%98catch%E2%80%99-and-%E2%80%98no-catch%E2%80%99-plays-outfield

Most notable change for Arkansas is the HBP rule.  Players will have to attempt to get out of the way unlike in the past.

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · Aug 27 
I'm concerned that new HBP rule will create too many tough judgment calls about whether batter made sufficient effort to avoid getting hit.

Mike Rooney ‏@Mike_Rooney  · 19h 
@aaronfitt This is great..a perfect time in college baseball to make it harder to hit. #Sarcasm #ButLetsKeepOurNoAdvisorRule

Jim Schlossnagle ‏@TCUSchloss  · 18h 
@Mike_Rooney @aaronfitt how bout we work on more scholarships, another paid coach, a recruiting calendar..things that matter

Connor Gandossy ‏@cgandoss6  · 18h 
Couldn't agree more with @TCUSchloss point on other things that need to be addressed. @Mike_Rooney @aaronfitt

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · 16h 
@cgandoss6 @TCUSchloss certainly true. Of course, it's much easier for rules committee to make little tweaks than to pass any major reforms.

Jim Schlossnagle ‏@TCUSchloss  · 16h 
@aaronfitt @cgandoss6 agreed! Just look forward to hearing where this stuff comes from...like BBCOR bats in 2011

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · 15h 
@TCUSchloss @cgandoss6 great point. Seems like rules committee operates with minimal oversight/accountability/input from coaching population

Dan Ignosci ‏@danignosci  · 13h 
@aaronfitt @TCUSchloss @cgandoss6 http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=MBARULES ... 4 of 8 coaches on this list

The four coaches currently on the rules committee are Elvis Dominguez of Bradley University in the Missouri Valley Conference, Dick Cooke of Davidson College in the A-10, Jayson King of D-2 Franklin Pierce, and Paul Benim of D-3 Penn State Erie, the Behrend College.  The only major conference for baseball represented on the rules committee is an Associate AD at Kansas State.  No one from the SEC, ACC, or Pac 12 on the committee and those 3 conferences are generally regarded as the best.

Aaron Fitt
‏@aaronfitt   @danignosci @TCUSchloss @cgandoss6 and that is a flawed process, to me. Some things should require vote of entire body at coaches convention

Suidae Suis Scrofa

For pitches over the plate - I agree.  That area belongs to the pitcher so a batter in the area of the plate shouldn't get a HBP if struck.

On the other hand, the batter's box belongs to the ... wait for it .. BATTER.  A batter hit while in the batter's box should be awarded a HBP and first base.  If the pitcher's control is so poor that he hits a batter in the box then the pitcher should have to pay for it, not the poor schmuck who got hit by a 95 MPH fastball.  If the pitcher was intentionally gunning for the batter then the HBP is necessary - don't give the pitcher another chance to hurt the same batter.

-phil

southeasthog

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on August 28, 2014, 02:09:04 pm
For pitches over the plate - I agree.  That area belongs to the pitcher so a batter in the area of the plate shouldn't get a HBP if struck.

On the other hand, the batter's box belongs to the ... wait for it .. BATTER.  A batter hit while in the batter's box should be awarded a HBP and first base.  If the pitcher's control is so poor that he hits a batter in the box then the pitcher should have to pay for it, not the poor schmuck who got hit by a 95 MPH fastball.  If the pitcher was intentionally gunning for the batter then the HBP is necessary - don't give the pitcher another chance to hurt the same batter.

-phil
While I agree that the batters box belongs to the batter, it isn't the 95 MPH pitches that are the problem with batters not attempting to move. It is those 72 MPH curves that don't break and seems like it takes 30 seconds to reach the plate.