Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The improbable, crazy insane, drama-laden Razorback season of 2006

Started by JIHawg, August 27, 2014, 12:28:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Just some of the events-The natives were restless and the powers that be were feeling pressure, so they forced Nutt, kicking and screaming, to hire one Gus Malzahn as an offensive coordinator.  Gus just happen to bring with him the Springdale five, including the national Gator.ade player of the year, Mitch Mustain.

Gus was not well received by the staff.  Reggie Herring dubbed him "high school".  Gus wanted to watch film of the upcoming season, the rest of Nutt's staff went fishing.

The Razorbacks started the season losing 50–14, at a home game in Fayetteville, to USC.  McFadden had broken his toe nearly off, so Felix had to be the man, and he loses three fumbles to start the game because he had been wearing the green shirt during practice.   Following the loss to the Trojans, Nutt announced that Mustain would replace Robert Johnson as the Hogs' starting quarterback.

Strangely, this is when Frank told Nutt that HUNH spread offense would not work in the SEC.  Nutt reigned Gus in tightly, giving him 2 or 3 pages of the playbook to use for the next game.

In spite of the Nutt chains,  Malzahn and Mustain led Arkansas to eight straight wins, including wins against #22 Alabama at home and #2 Auburn at Auburn, before losing the starting job to Casey Dick. In the South Carolina game, Mitch threw a pass meant for Marcus Monk, who turned the wrong way.  The pass was intercepted.  It was Monk's fault, but Nutt siezed the opportunity to bench Mustain for the rest of the season.  Nutt put in his quarterback, and Gus was further made less effective.

Dick had been slotted to start at the beginning of the season but was unable to do so due to a back injury suffered in the spring. Dick led the Razorbacks to two victories out of four for a total of 10 wins, including a win over 13th ranked Tennessee. The Razorbacks moved to #7 in the BCS standings.

However, the Hogs lost their last regular season game to the #8 LSU Tigers, 31–26. Despite the loss, the Hogs backed in to the  Western Division Champions of the SEC, and played the 11–1, fourth-ranked Florida Gators for the SEC Championship. Florida won, 38–28, on Reggie Fish's play that lots of Hog fans consider our worst play in program history.  We actually had Florida on the ropes, right up until that play.

Arkansas accepts a bid to the Capital One bowl.  Then it gets really freaky.  Nutt hired Bob Lee to be co-offensive coordinator with Gus, not bothering to tell Gus.  Gus found out from a reporter, and promptly took the first train out of Fayetteville to Tulsa.  So did most of the Springdale five.

Then it gets really strange.  Mustain's mother along with some other parents meets with Broyles to complain about the horrible seats the player's parents were getting, down on the goal line.  They couldn't see the big scoreboard.  Fans thought it was about playing time and such, and resentment toward Mitch manifest.

Meanwhile, one of Nutts physical therapist friends shoots off the "Mr. Interception King" email,ccing among others Danny Nutt and Dianna Nutt.  A copy gets out in the press.

Nutt's cell phone records(phone was paid for by the University) gets FOI'd.  What shows up?  On Christmas Eve, it seems Nutt texted back and forth 25 times around midnight with a buxom female TV newscaster.  Nutt would later text the same lady right before taking the field of the Capitol One bowl.
   The Razorbacks then lost to the #5 Wisconsin Badgers on New Year's Day, 2007 in the Capital One Bowl. A highlight of the season was the second place finish of sophomore tailback Darren McFadden in the Heisman Trophy voting. Coach Nutt was named SEC coach of the year by the Associated Press and by the SEC coaches for the second time.

So here we are in 2014, eight years later, some people coming full circle.

Gus, along with some former Arkansas assistants like Tim Horton, is now the head coach at Auburn.  Bielema is of course head coach at Arrkansas. 

Has there ever been a crazier year for any school, that the Hogs 2006 season?

A strange happenstance, Gus vs. Bret.  They have a history.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 27, 2014, 07:37:24 am
And this is why he will always be prepared for the hogs. People saying they will over look us is laughable. It's personal.

Without the Hogs, Malzahn wouldn't be at Auburn.  He loved the Hogs like the rest of us.  Nutt, Herring and crew are the ones who screwed him.

secfan30

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 27, 2014, 07:44:30 am
Turned the wrong way?

http://youtu.be/RYL6Bw1Io88

Yeah I was thinking overthrown as well... Funny how some never want to give Jones or DMac any credit for those 8 straight wins. Giving Gus and Mustain some credit is fine, but many others played a part in those 8 straight.

go hogues

Quote from: JIHawg on August 27, 2014, 12:28:36 am

How about that same school, just 6 seasons later?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Poker_hog

Quote from: secfan30 on August 27, 2014, 08:05:42 am
Yeah I was thinking overthrown as well... Funny how some never want to give Jones or DMac any credit for those 8 straight wins. Giving Gus and Mustain some credit is fine, but many others played a part in those 8 straight.

I agree.  A lot of spin in the op.   
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

rhames

Was watching the tenn game.

Nutt let gus call the plays. Maybe he didn't let him run the full offense but in that game we were running basically what Auburn runs now with Marshall

Mitch didn't win those 8 games his backfield did.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

code red

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 27, 2014, 07:28:31 am
Nice walk down memory lane. 

:puke:
More to come....I would bet on it!!!  The first indication is lack of ticket sells...let's start a new story.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hoggusamoungus

Everyone forgets the fake punt Florida pulled off deep in their territory.  Stop that and the Fish play never happens. 

The one that really hurt was in 2006. After getting a defensive stop up and leading 21-17, Florida ran a great fake punt deep in their own territory. After another Arkansas stop on the same drive, Florida punted to Arkansas again. What ensued is the Fish Flounder.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

mattw

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Nutt and the MSM back stabbed Gus and ruined what could have been a good run for the Hogs.  Nutt's PRIDE was his downfall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 27, 2014, 09:07:42 am
Pass looks high and behind the receiver.

It was high and behind the receiver because he turned the wrong way, ran a skinny post instead of an out. Shibest changed the route with hand signals to Monk but did not tell Mitch.Monk is 6'6" tall, had he been in the right position it was an easy catch, instead he is turned inside and had to reach back to his left for a ball thrown to his outside shoulder hence with no hands reaching up for the ball it went down field to a defender on the ground. You Nutt huggers and Mitch bashers are relentless.

HamIAm

How did he turn the wrong way if he did what the coach told him to do? Maybe Mitch threw to the wrong spot because the info didn't get to him. Unless it was Monk's job to relay that to Mitch I don't see how you can lay the blame for that at Monk's feet, which is what you do when you say the receiver turned the wrong way.

Mulberry Squeezins

The question Begs, why did Gus kiss Nutt's butt during the interview on Sirius sports radio? 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Then 6-years later... coming off a 10-win season and an 11-win season, our coach drives his Harley and this program off into a ditch.  At the worst time possible in Spring.  NO fanbase deserves an 8 month coaching search.  No fanbase deserved that 2012 season. 

I mean-- it's just incredible the crap this fanbase and the program has endured since, really, 1990.  Unbelievable. 

peachy

If Arkansas had offered the job to Malzahn when Nutt left they would probably have an SEC title by now.  And possibly a NC.

texas tush hog

Quote from: HamIAm on August 27, 2014, 10:32:09 am
How did he turn the wrong way if he did what the coach told him to do? Maybe Mitch threw to the wrong spot because the info didn't get to him. Unless it was Monk's job to relay that to Mitch I don't see how you can lay the blame for that at Monk's feet, which is what you do when you say the receiver turned the wrong way.

I did not lay any of the blame at Monk's feet, none, nada,zippo, he was running the route his receivers coach sent in to him, but Shibest sabotaged his qb in order for Nutt to pull him out in favor of Nutt's chosen one Casey Dick. Any way this ship has sailed. Nutt is gone and so is Petrino and we need to move on with our current staff and stop living in the past with those two POS's. While we are at it, Malzahn is gone as well and will never be our head coach. I love the pig farmer we now have, so let Nutt, Petrino, and Malzahn go.

Hogwild

QuoteHogs lost their last regular season game to the #8 LSU Tigers, 31–26. Despite the loss, the Hogs backed in to the  Western Division Champions of the SEC

Heard this on the radio last week-
The last time any team from the West, aside from Alabama, went to the SEC title game they had a loss to LSU that season. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 27, 2014, 10:53:10 am
The question Begs, why did Gus kiss Nutt's butt during the interview on Sirius sports radio? 

That is not what he did.  What he did do was act like a professional, something 99% of the posters here apparently know nothing about.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgmania

Kevin Burnett
Sherwood, AR

SuperHog32

anyone care to recall Casey Dick's stat line from the LSU loss in Little Rock?

I'll help you out

3-17, 21 yards passing.

meanwhile, a legit QB sat on the sidelines.  whether you want to admit it or not, he played A ROLE in the 8-0.  the majority of the success was due to 5, 25, and 22.  However, if MM wasn't perceived as being a legit threat at QB, then opposing defense could've stacked the line and forced him to throw the ball.

don't even get me going on reggie freaking fish.

LZH

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 27, 2014, 09:55:12 am
It was high and behind the receiver because he turned the wrong way, ran a skinny post instead of an out. Shibest changed the route with hand signals to Monk but did not tell Mitch.Monk is 6'6" tall, had he been in the right position it was an easy catch, instead he is turned inside and had to reach back to his left for a ball thrown to his outside shoulder hence with no hands reaching up for the ball it went down field to a defender on the ground. You Nutt huggers and Mitch bashers are relentless.

Skinny post?  He ran ten yards or so and curled out.  The ball was thrown back over his inside shoulder.

Are we watching the same thing?

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 27, 2014, 07:47:22 am
Without the Hogs, Malzahn wouldn't be at Auburn.  He loved the Hogs like the rest of us.  Nutt, Herring and crew are the ones who screwed him.

this

I would take Petrino a million times in a row than one time w/ Nutt and the rest of that bunch

texas tush hog

Quote from: LZH on August 27, 2014, 12:51:52 pm
Skinny post?  He ran ten yards or so and curled out.  The ball was thrown back over his inside shoulder.

Are we watching the same thing?

Apparently not. It was over his outside shoulder and was intercepted back towards the boundary. He lined up wide on the yard marker and cut inside first and tried to come back and could not reach it he was out side the yard number when it went over his head. Stop it and go frame to frame. Oh what's the use youre gonna see what you want to. But it was definitely back to his left and behind him and over his head after the wrong route but Mitch threw the ball towards the boundary and high for a 6'6"receiver. The defender caught it low just 10 feet inside the boundary.

The Boar War

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 27, 2014, 11:39:44 am

I did not lay any of the blame at Monk's feet, none, nada,zippo, he was running the route his receivers coach sent in to him, but Shibest sabotaged his qb in order for Nutt to pull him out in favor of Nutt's chosen one Casey Dick.

Wow

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: secfan30 on August 27, 2014, 08:05:42 am

Like the Alabama game, when Mustain went 7-22 for 97 yds with 3 picks.  Good thing the Bama kicker had the yips that day.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 27, 2014, 09:55:12 am

Excuse me but I was and still am a nutty hater. I watched the video and the pass was either not where it was suppose to be or the receiver did turn wrong. I don't know which. I can only go by what I saw on the video. Don't assume I was blaming the QB by my post. If you say there was a signal mixup I'll have to believe you or whatever I saw on the video. I'm not gonna blame either player without either one of them coming forward to say what happened. ALL I know is the pass was high and behind the receiver. I thought it was chicken poop for nutty to pull him out of the game after that. I like Mitch and thought he got as raw a deal as any player under nutty. I guess you haven't read enough of my posts about nutty and his fruitcake mentality. I'd rather you just call me the devil himself. I'd prefer it over being called a nutt hugger........................

NorthDallas40

Quote from: SuperHog32 on August 27, 2014, 12:47:34 pm

I'll help you out

3-17, 21 yards passing.

meanwhile, a legit QB sat on the sidelines.  whether you want to admit it or not, he played A ROLE in the 8-0.  the majority of the success was due to 5, 25, and 22.  However, if MM wasn't perceived as being a legit threat at QB, then opposing defense could've stacked the line and forced him to throw the ball.

Was going to post just this. Pathetic.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on August 27, 2014, 05:52:42 pm

With these type rushing numbers from McFadden and Jones, should have never thrown 17 passes.

Rushing              No Gain Loss  Net TD Lg  Avg
-------------------------------------------------
Darren McFadden 21  182    0  182  2 80  8.7
Felix Jones          16  142    5  137  1 40  8.6
Casey Dick          2    0   21  -21  0  0 -10.5
Totals...            39  324   26  298  3 80  7.6

The Boar War

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on August 27, 2014, 06:02:01 pm
With these type rushing numbers from McFadden and Jones, should have never thrown 17 passes.

Looking at those numbers I had forgotten that Hillis was out with his thigh injury.

Birminghog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on August 27, 2014, 11:02:31 am
Then 6-years later... coming off a 10-win season and an 11-win season, our coach drives his Harley and this program off into a ditch.  At the worst time possible in Spring.  NO fanbase deserves an 8 month coaching search.  No fanbase deserved that 2012 season. 

I mean-- it's just incredible the crap this fanbase and the program has endured since, really, 1990.  Unbelievable.
î

If misery loves company, check out the Bama program 1997-2006.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_head_football_coaches

Includes one HC (Price) who got in trouble for frequenting strip joints & never coached a game. I was in B'ham during that time. Lots of unhappy Bama fans wondering when they would recover. They did. We will, too.

Post script. DuBose followed the retirement of Stallings, who followed Curry, who had a fan throw a brick through a window at his home, which is proof that there are crazy fans all over. Curry followed Ray Perkins, who was hired to replace Bear Bryant. Regardless of their sparking history and unquestionable success over the past several years, Bama HC hires haven't been the unbroken string of successes that many may assume.

SuperHog32

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on August 27, 2014, 06:02:01 pm

That's just what Casey threw. IIRC, dmac had a few pass attempts in this game too. Anyone and everyone throwing passes except for the one player who should've been throwing them. That was the way of the dork.

secfan30

Quote from: hogsanity on August 27, 2014, 11:52:51 am
That is not what he did.  What he did do was act like a professional, something 99% of the posters here apparently know nothing about.

1st it's a message board, not work and 2nd 99% is a huge over exaggeration.

RazorWhacker

Just some of the events-The natives were restless and the powers that be were feeling pressure, so they forced Nutt, kicking and screaming, to hire one Gus Malzahn as an offensive coordinator.  Gus just happen to bring with him the Springdale five, including the national Gator.ade player of the year, Mitch Mustain.

Gus was not well received by the staff.  Reggie Herring dubbed him "high school".  Gus wanted to watch film of the upcoming season, the rest of Nutt's staff went fishing.

The Razorbacks started the season losing 50–14, at a home game in Fayetteville, to USC.  McFadden had broken his toe nearly off, so Felix had to be the man, and he loses three fumbles to start the game because he had been wearing the green shirt during practice.   Following the loss to the Trojans, Nutt announced that Mustain would replace Robert Johnson as the Hogs' starting quarterback.

Strangely, this is when Frank told Nutt that HUNH spread offense would not work in the SEC.  Nutt reigned Gus in tightly, giving him 2 or 3 pages of the playbook to use for the next game.

In spite of the Nutt chains,  Malzahn and Mustain led Arkansas to eight straight wins, including wins against #22 Alabama at home and #2 Auburn at Auburn, before losing the starting job to Casey Dick. In the South Carolina game, Mitch threw a pass meant for Marcus Monk, who turned the wrong way.  The pass was intercepted.  It was Monk's fault, but Nutt siezed the opportunity to bench Mustain for the rest of the season.  Nutt put in his quarterback, and Gus was further made less effective.

Dick had been slotted to start at the beginning of the season but was unable to do so due to a back injury suffered in the spring. Dick led the Razorbacks to two victories out of four for a total of 10 wins, including a win over 13th ranked Tennessee. The Razorbacks moved to #7 in the BCS standings.

However, the Hogs lost their last regular season game to the #8 LSU Tigers, 31–26. Despite the loss, the Hogs backed in to the  Western Division Champions of the SEC, and played the 11–1, fourth-ranked Florida Gators for the SEC Championship. Florida won, 38–28, on Reggie Fish's play that lots of Hog fans consider our worst play in program history.  We actually had Florida on the ropes, right up until that play.

Arkansas accepts a bid to the Capital One bowl.  Then it gets really freaky.  Nutt hired Bob Lee to be co-offensive coordinator with Gus, not bothering to tell Gus.  Gus found out from a reporter, and promptly took the first train out of Fayetteville to Tulsa.  So did most of the Springdale five.

Then it gets really strange.  Mustain's mother along with some other parents meets with Broyles to complain about the horrible seats the player's parents were getting, down on the goal line.  They couldn't see the big scoreboard.  Fans thought it was about playing time and such, and resentment toward Mitch manifest.

Meanwhile, one of Nutts physical therapist friends shoots off the "Mr. Interception King" email,ccing among others Danny Nutt and Dianna Nutt.  A copy gets out in the press.

Nutt's cell phone records(phone was paid for by the University) gets FOI'd.  What shows up?  On Christmas Eve, it seems Nutt texted back and forth 25 times around midnight with a buxom female TV newscaster.  Nutt would later text the same lady right before taking the field of the Capitol One bowl.
   The Razorbacks then lost to the #5 Wisconsin Badgers on New Year's Day, 2007 in the Capital One Bowl. A highlight of the season was the second place finish of sophomore tailback Darren McFadden in the Heisman Trophy voting. Coach Nutt was named SEC coach of the year by the Associated Press and by the SEC coaches for the second time.

Gus, along with some former Arkansas assistants like Tim Horton, is now the head coach at Auburn.  Bielema is of course head coach at Arrkansas. 

The way Gus continues to get Sainted in this state astounds me.

Gus has NEVER cared about what is good for Arkansas, or anybody else for that matter.

Gus cares about what's good for Gus and nothing else.

If Gus was as pure as some people make him out to be he would never have been involved in the scheme to use high school kids as pawns to manipulate the school into making him the HC.

If Gus cared what was good for the UA or those HS kids he would have stayed put and not bailed, which had he stayed he may very well have been our HC in a year.

But no, those choices weren't good for Gus.

Gus is dirty at AU, and he would be dirty here.

Go Hogs! I hope we beat Gus so bad Saturday his head explodes.

sadhogfan

Outstanding summary of a surreal, horrible season. I think the 2006 season might have been the genesis for my user name.

pigbacon

Quote from: Birminghog on August 27, 2014, 09:34:37 pm
î

If misery loves company, check out the Bama program 1997-2006.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_head_football_coaches

Includes one HC (Price) who got in trouble for frequenting strip joints & never coached a game. I was in B'ham during that time. Lots of unhappy Bama fans wondering when they would recover. They did. We will, too.

Post script. DuBose followed the retirement of Stallings, who followed Curry, who had a fan throw a brick through a window at his home, which is proof that there are crazy fans all over. Curry followed Ray Perkins, who was hired to replace Bear Bryant. Regardless of their sparking history and unquestionable success over the past several years, Bama HC hires haven't been the unbroken string of successes that many may assume.

Don't forget Dennis Franchione. Texas A&M took him from Bama and they were pissed.

bphi11ips

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on August 27, 2014, 05:52:42 pm

I'll help you out

3-17, 21 yards passing.

And then there was the pick 6.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RazorWhacker on August 27, 2014, 10:41:57 pm
The way Gus continues to get Sainted in this state astounds me.

Gus has NEVER cared about what is good for Arkansas, or anybody else for that matter.

Gus cares about what's good for Gus and nothing else.

If Gus was as pure as some people make him out to be he would never have been involved in the scheme to use high school kids as pawns to manipulate the school into making him the HC.

If Gus cared what was good for the UA or those HS kids he would have stayed put and not bailed, which had he stayed he may very well have been our HC in a year.

But no, those choices weren't good for Gus.

Gus is dirty at AU, and he would be dirty here.

Go Hogs! I hope we beat Gus so bad Saturday his head explodes.

Lot of assumptions in there.  The OP basically laid out the Cliff notes version of what happened.  You can't make that stuff up.  He didn't "annoint" anyone.  Then you come along and assert Malzahn was trying to use his players to force his way into the HC job and futher assert he cares about no one but himself. 

It's this kind of irrational jibberish that causes some, like me, to say "wait a minute".  Most of us are devoted Hogs fans or we wouldn't be here.  Period.  But that doesn't always cause us to lose our minds and act like a scorned woman.

RazorWhacker

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 28, 2014, 08:00:58 am
Lot of assumptions in there.  The OP basically laid out the Cliff notes version of what happened.  You can't make that stuff up.  He didn't "annoint" anyone.  Then you come along and assert Malzahn was trying to use his players to force his way into the HC job and futher assert he cares about no one but himself. 

It's this kind of irrational jibberish that causes some, like me, to say "wait a minute".  Most of us are devoted Hogs fans or we wouldn't be here.  Period.  But that doesn't always cause us to lose our minds and act like a scorned woman.

If you think its all assumption, that's fine, except it seems to be conveniently left out that Gus WAS involved in a plot to force Nutt out and into the AD job, and not so long ago Mike Irwin even said as much. If you don't think Gus only had Gus' interest at heart when he turned down the first job offer from his beloved Hogs, fine. I guess when he bailed for Tulsa that was for the best of the program and the Springdale kids too, huh?

I believe most Razorback fans like myself want to forget that part of our history, so why is it so important that we relive that whole painful saga now, just a couple of days before we play Auburn and Gussie?

Excuse me if I can't stand a "Cliff notes version" allowing Gus to be nothing but pure (and victimized) by way of omission of his role in it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RazorWhacker on August 28, 2014, 09:13:21 am

Gus WAS involved in a plot to force Nutt out and into the AD job, and not so long ago Mike Irwin even said as much.

???

Bold statement.  I've followed the Malzahn story closely since South Carolina in 2006.  Before that, I was just another Razorbacks fan excited about the future of the program with Mustain running Malzahn's offense.  I've seen the email, the phone records, and read the media reports and the myriad threads on Hogville, but I have NEVER seen anyone say that Malzahn was involved in a "plot" to force Nutt out.  If that is true, it would put an entirely different complexion on the story.

So - what do you have to support your claim? Please provide a link to Mike Irwin's post you referenced. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: RazorWhacker on August 28, 2014, 09:13:21 am

If you don't think Gus only had Gus' interest at heart when he turned down the first job offer from his beloved Hogs, fine.

???

What was the "first job offer"?

wildturkey8

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 27, 2014, 09:41:41 am
Nutt and the MSM back stabbed Gus and ruined what could have been a good run for the Hogs.  Nutt's PRIDE was his downfall.
In a nuttshell, pun intended.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 28, 2014, 09:30:25 am
???
I've seen the email, the phone records, and read the media reports and the myriad threads on Hogville, but I have NEVER seen anyone say that Malzahn was involved in a "plot" to force Nutt out.  If that is true, it would put an entirely different complexion on the story.

Not sure that "plot" is the right term. Ben Cleveland's dad told me that when Gus was trying to Flip Ben from Florida to Arkansas he expressed concern that Gus might only be around for a year considering Nutt's shaky situation after back to back losing seasons.

Rick Cleveland said Gus told him that if Nutt were to be fired he'd been assured he would survive and a plan was in place to make him the head coach at some point in the future.

Others have told me that Jim Lindsey was terrified that if something happened to Frank John White would name his replacement. To prevent that he wanted to move Nutt into that job and make Gus the head coach sooner than later.

It's impossible for me to say how much of this plan Gus was privy to but according to Rick Cleveland he was at least aware of part of it.

acey33

I'll help you out

3-17, 21 yards passing.

LOL...McFadden had more passing yards than our QB in that game if I remember right