Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DMac

Started by welchog, August 26, 2014, 06:31:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

welchog

I would think there would be no better Hog number to retire.  Think it may happen in the future?

phadedhawg

I don't think so but it deserves consideration.

He set records and won awards but we didn't win any championships. I think that holds back his legacy.

ldfergu

My personal opinion is that a player, regardless of how well he performs on the field, should earn his degree to have his number retired.

phadedhawg

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on August 26, 2014, 06:43:09 pm
My personal opinion is that a player, regardless of how well he performs on the field, should earn his degree to have his number retired.

That's a good point.

I've always gave a nod towards retiring a jersey as a memorial after a tragedy

mhsbc59

retire the number
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

PorkRinds

Kj Hill will be number give next season. Mark it down.

jgphillips3

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 26, 2014, 08:03:36 pm
Kj Hill will be number give next season. Mark it down.

Forget retiring it.  I like this better!

dynastyhog

Retire it.  NOBODY in a Razorback uniform, and arguably the SEC, has done it better.  My vote would be to retire it.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

DoctorSusscrofa

There will be plenty of time to retire DMac's number in the future (like on the 20th anniversary of his final year). No need to do so yet. He will still have the same year and career stats then.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: phadedhawg on August 26, 2014, 06:36:31 pm
I don't think so but it deserves consideration.

He set records and won awards but we didn't win any championships. I think that holds back his legacy.

Not to me. Football is the ultimate team game. Individuals don't win championships, teams do. I don't know of anything humanly possible that DMac could have done better while at Arkansas. But football requires a great defense, offense, and kicking game to win, in this league.
It's always bugged me when people start talking about QBs and how many rings 'they' won. Excuse me, were they out there by themselves? Doesn't matter how great they are or how important the QB position is. It still takes a full team to win.

Hog Diego

No but probably one of the best and a personal favorite....the closest in my memory to deserve it but i was born in 71 so I don't remember Bambi, Light Horse and others.... no New York Touchdown club trophy raising or major team trophy won during the his time does not get the honor. It he and that wonderful backfield would have over come the odds (you know what I mean) and would have brought it home, like Walker or Jackson did (spit)  or Cam did, then hell yeah. Every MLB Baseball Team has a "Babe Ruth" hero within the organization but without trophies and rings it does not go ad far as it should.

welchog

Quote from: Hog Diego on August 27, 2014, 01:33:38 am
No but probably one of the best and a personal favorite....the closest in my memory to deserve it but i was born in 71 so I don't remember Bambi, Light Horse and others.... no New York Touchdown club trophy raising or major team trophy won during the his time does not get the honor. It he and that wonderful backfield would have over come the odds (you know what I mean) and would have brought it home, like Walker or Jackson did (spit)  or Cam did, then hell yeah. Every MLB Baseball Team has a "Babe Ruth" hero within the organization but without trophies and rings it does not go ad far as it should.

Understand, but he was the only RB ever to win back to back Doak Walkers

lrcentral

His number should not be retired. He did not win a Heisman trophy or even a conference championship. Retiring a number should be for someone who was/is a program changer not just a favorable guy who amassed a lot of stats.

PorkRinds

Quote from: lrcentral on August 27, 2014, 10:07:33 am
His number should not be retired. He did not win a Heisman trophy or even a conference championship. Retiring a number should be for someone who was/is a program changer not just a favorable guy who amassed a lot of stats.

Dmac was a program changer.  But I don't think his number should be retired. 

lrcentral

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 27, 2014, 10:09:41 am

In what way was he a program changer? We were average his last year and horrible the year after that. A program changer brings your program to another level. Did we see increased recruiting because of him? Did the media take any interest after he was gone? Did he significantly add to the trophy case? No to all of those questions.

He was an exceptional running back just not jersey retiring or bronze statue worthy. 

Fanofthegame

It makes me no difference, but I do like the idea of using the #5 for exceptional players as a reward or something to that degree.
"He may not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll"

HogFaninMemphis

Without D-Mac we would have had several bad seasons in a row. You can't  blame him for not winning a championship. Hell, he was so dominant that he even played quarterback. But I don't think we should retire his number, because as someone else said, unless it's a memorial, I think it's a dumb gesture. Players like Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, and Roberto Clemente deserve to have numbers retired, because they changed the game, or Lou Gehrig because of Lou Gehrig's Disease, but not just really good players. For some reason the Yankees just retired Joe Torre's number. There's no real value in doing such a thing.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

swinemaster

Am I to assume that no former razorback has had his number retired?  I mean if you have to win a Heisman then forget about it. 

He is the greatest Razorback of all time though.  The only two-time Heisman runner-up, I believe.

lrcentral

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on August 27, 2014, 10:22:30 am
Without D-Mac we would have had several bad seasons in a row. You can't  blame him for not winning a championship. Hell, he was so dominant that he even played quarterback. But I don't think we should retire his number, because as someone else said, unless it's a memorial, I think it's a dumb gesture. Players like Jackie Robinson, Babe Ruth, and Roberto Clemente deserve to have numbers retired, because they changed the game, or Lou Gehrig because of Lou Gehrig's Disease, but not just really good players. For some reason the Yankees just retired Joe Torre's number. There's no real value in doing such a thing.

No doubt Dmac helped us win but to say he was so great that no one can put on the #5 again is  a little much.

I guess a bunch of 6,7,8 win seasons lowers people expectations of what greatness really is. 

lrcentral

Quote from: swinemaster on August 27, 2014, 10:25:35 am
Am I to assume that no former razorback has had his number retired?  I mean if you have to win a Heisman then forget about it. 

He is the greatest Razorback of all time though.  The only two-time Heisman runner-up, I believe.

Not looking for a Heisman but at least a conference championship. 

hog golf

my vote is no. perhaps name something after him like they did Al Kaline.

you know, like a battery or something.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

PorkRinds

Quote from: lrcentral on August 27, 2014, 10:30:11 am
No doubt Dmac helped us win but to say he was so great that no one can put on the #5 again is  a little much.

I guess a bunch of 6,7,8 win seasons lowers people expectations of what greatness really is.

If you don't think Dmac was great, it's you that has no idea what greatness really is.  He was dominant.  Not his fault Nutty couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

Tripod1

He was a great running back without a doubt but not a program changer as someone suggested.  I also vote no to retirement of his jersey.  How about giving out the "DMAC award"?  This could go to the running back that after fall camp displayed those qualities most like DMac. That running back could have the honor of wearing #5 for the season.  Then again I have no problem with not honoring the number in any way.

Jek Tono Porkins

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where it was D-Mac's fault that we didn't win an SEC Championship.

What more could he have possibly done? I guess he could have tried to throw touchdowns to himself...

Give any other coach besides the Nuttster that backfield and they'd win an SEC championship easy.

Not his fault, retire his number. He's the most prolific player in Hog History.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hog golf on August 27, 2014, 10:36:18 am
my vote is no. perhaps name something after him like they did Al Kaline.

you know, like a battery or something.

Well played.   +1
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 27, 2014, 10:09:41 am

PorkHinds, Its about a program. I don't think any numbers should be retired. This isn't professional football.

fakebobholt

Quote from: lrcentral on August 27, 2014, 10:30:11 am

Quote from: lrcentral on August 27, 2014, 10:32:38 am
Not looking for a Heisman but at least a conference championship. 

I said the same about tyler wilson and got killed. He was the toughest qb we have ever had but didnt light the world on fire. Dmac was a much better hog than wilson wad in regards to acolades and hype.

TheRazorbackGuy

And what is the point here bobholt?

I don't believe any numbers should ever be retired for any reasons. It's a program of college athletes so they need to have many numbers available. This is not professional football. No numbers should ever be retired in any sport for the Razorbacks athletic program.

PorkRinds

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 27, 2014, 11:05:02 amI said the same about tyler wilson and got killed. He was the toughest qb we have ever had but didnt light the world on fire. Dmac was a much better hog than wilson wad in regards to acolades and hype.
What was your previous moniker back when you said that about Tyler Wilson?

fakebobholt

Same name. Only 1 ive ever had. Lurker since the end of nutts era. It must just be automatically assumed people are fans of other schools, trolls, or previous posters. Every one of you started here at some point. Not everybody is out for blood. I enjoy the discussions and at times different perspectives. Lots of fans have different views of their team but deep down why would anyone want their team to lose.

JJHog

The best player in the history of the U of A?   heck yes.

" Think Right, Do Right"

LZH

jkstock04

Best question is what criteria is there for retiring a number?

Burlsworth's # is retired (I believe). His overall story is absolutely unbelievable. Going from walkon to the NFL....the epitome of "do right"...then of course the untimely death.

Who else's jersey is retired?

Personally I don't think Dmacs jersey should be retired. But Like I said wonder what criteria are there for this at our school or other schools for that matter?  I wonder about players like Barkley, Bo Jackson, or Cam Newton at Auburn?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Rooster Hogburn

He da only 1 dat got dat wood
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

DriveByHogger

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 27, 2014, 01:06:53 pm
Best question is what criteria is there for retiring a number?

Burlsworth's # is retired (I believe). His overall story is absolutely unbelievable. Going from walkon to the NFL....the epitome of "do right"...then of course the untimely death.

Who else's jersey is retired?

Personally I don't think Dmacs jersey should be retired. But Like I said wonder what criteria are there for this at our school or other schools for that matter?  I wonder about players like Barkley, Bo Jackson, or Cam Newton at Auburn?

Clyde Scott's #12.
She ain't revved 'till the rods are thrown!