Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slow down! Refs want to hit pause on up-tempo play

Started by Choctaw Hog, August 26, 2014, 06:26:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 27, 2014, 02:38:48 pm
So if Coach Bielema left for Iowa after next season and Chip Kelly decided he wanted out of the NFL and took the Arkansas job...would you suddenly be in favor of the officials going back to "the way it was" and marking the ball as quickly as they could?

Or would you want Saban to have enough time to substitute and match up?

See, I can't force myself to look at the world that way.

The answer is yes. Let em' run any formation they want to, spread, pistol, whatever their hearts desire but do it with a traditional huddle until the last 3 minutes of each half.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawgzinbowlz

So if Coach Bielema left for Iowa after next season and Chip Kelly decided he wanted out of the NFL and took the Arkansas job...would you suddenly be in favor of the officials going back to "the way it was" and marking the ball as quickly as they could?

There is no forcing to it. If CBP or CBB or Saban or... were here I would want every legal advantage that would benefit the style of coach, player, administration and fan base we have here in Arkansas. It is simply, as a fan, adapting to our team.
We could try to fit a square peg into a round hole for "principle". That doesn't interest me. I am interested in The Hogs success.
Some coaches adapt their style to their players and some coaches run their system regardless of their players.
Some fans adapt their opinions to the type of coach/players we have and some fans have their opinions and don't care if it matches the coach/team.
I like The Hogs.

" GO HOGS "

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HamIAm on August 27, 2014, 10:36:14 am
Let them run plays as fast as they want, just stop the prairie dogging.  That is just freezing the defense while the offense collects itself and decides what to run.

This!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 27, 2014, 09:14:45 am
Wait, wasn't Saban complaining about it long before CBB ever got to Arkansas?

bp
yes but quit throwing out facts
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Count De Money

Ohhhhhh Mr Referee, I've got a cramp.  Gonna lay down.

hogcaller1

I enjoy the fast paced game, but it has got to be fair to both sides.  Rule change I'd like to see? If the Offense substitutes, the Defense can substitute as well. If the Offense stands pat, then so does the Defense.

forrest city joe

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 27, 2014, 02:37:57 pm
Joe, serious question: Why is it ok for you to trash Saban, but you go off on anyone that has anything negative to say about Gus?

I know this has been asked many times, and you have NEVER manned up and answered, so here is your chance.

bp
Because i can't stand Saban and Bama. and i am not a big Gus fan. but i don't hate the man. and don't see why so many on here hate him. i don't like Auburn. but i like them a hell of a lot more than i do Saban and Bama.losing 52 to 0 to them these past 2 years made me throw up. i hope we beat the hell out of them this year.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 27, 2014, 03:32:20 pm
Because i can't stand Saban and Bama. and i am not a big Gus fan. but i don't hate the man. and don't see why so many on here hate him. i don't like Auburn. but i like them a hell of a lot more than i do Saban and Bama.losing 52 to 0 to them these past 2 years made me throw up. i hope we beat the hell out of them this year.

I hope for the same thing Joe. At least by one.
Serious question Joe; If Jeff Long had been presented with the opportunity to hire Saban, after CBP, and had done so, would you still hate Saban?

" GO HOGS "

HamIAm

Quote from: Count De Money on August 27, 2014, 03:16:56 pm
Ohhhhhh Mr Referee, I've got a cramp.  Gonna lay down.

Are the snipers in Auburn as accurate as they are in Fayetteville?

RT1941

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 27, 2014, 03:32:20 pm
But you say the only way to beat Bama is to run Gus' offense....  Well, the Hogs won't be running that type of offens any time soon (thank goodness) - so in the meantime if you are a true UA fan you will accept and support whatever it takes to help "this" team succeed and whatever our coach feels is necessary to help "his" players compete in this league. 

Why the hell cut your nose off the spite you face? 

Steve Spurrier has kicked our ass 90-27 the last two years - and he rakes in the talent every year, do you have daggars for the ole ball coach too? 
RazorTusk!!!!

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

RT1941

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on August 27, 2014, 03:47:15 pm
I hope for the same thing Joe. At least by one.
Serious question Joe; If Jeff Long had been presented with the opportunity to hire Saban, after CBP, and had done so, would you still hate Saban?

" GO HOGS "
I get a feeling Joe is a barner in disguise.  For him to feel so adamant about Saban & CBB's stance on this issue to the point that he appears willing to shoot down any change to the current status quo, even if it's at the peril of the Razorbacks just seems a little weird to me. 

If it helps the Hogs in any way then I don't give a darn if Barrack Obama came up with the plan, I'd be all for anything that helps the Hogs get out of the SEC cellar. 
RazorTusk!!!!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: RT1941 on August 27, 2014, 04:15:52 pm
I get a feeling Joe is a barner in disguise.  For him to feel so adamant about Saban & CBB's stance on this issue to the point that he appears willing to shoot down any change to the current status quo, even if it's at the peril of the Razorbacks just seems a little weird to me. 

If it helps the Hogs in any way then I don't give a darn if Barrack Obama came up with the plan, I'd be all for anything that helps the Hogs get out of the SEC cellar.

Unfortunately, I am 100% sure FCJ is a hog fan.

bp

RT1941

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 27, 2014, 04:18:40 pm
Unfortunately, I am 100% sure FCJ is a hog fan.

bp
How freakin sad.

He'd be happier seeing Saban get the cold shoulder from the officiating crew about an issue that would benefit our team as well?

What if the SEC decided to raise the limit on the number of scholarships the teams can offer/accept in football?  From say 25 scholly's upto 30 - - would Joe be against that as well?  It would help our program build up even faster and we'd add depth and talent to the team.  BUT mean ole Saban would be getting 5 more players too so would Joe say screw it?
RazorTusk!!!!

Pigsear

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 27, 2014, 10:53:15 am
Never understand why Hog fans so adamantly support things that help other teams and hurt us.
Their really supporting Gus.

snoblind

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 27, 2014, 09:28:12 am
In all fairness the DL is allowed to move as well.

Defense. has always been able to move.  OL has always been required to be set, at least since the 60's when I started playing. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RT1941 on August 27, 2014, 08:52:51 am
So you're all for the officiating crew getting bulldozed by those HUNH coaches and players screaming and yelling at the refs to rush around as fast as possible to get the ball set in an effort to speed up the game so that the defense can't sub their players?

IMO - the officials see that they were getting overwhelmed with the HUNH teams and altered the natural progression of the game in order to accomodate the speed demon fast paced teams.  The officials "should" not alter their processes for a HUNH team or for a slow as molassis team.  They "should" work through their officiating process the same regardless of who is screaming at them from the sideline and on the field.

Pisses me off that players are allowed to yell at refs on the field to get them to hurry up.  Coaches can scream all they want, but those kids should show some respect to the officiating crew.

When I was in school that was unacceptable...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Personally, I'm not a big fan of gimmicks in football, even if they are allowed by the current rules.

I would rather see both the offense and defense have an opportunity to sub on any play simply because I think that is where it really turns into a chess match between coaching staffs on a level playing field from the standpoint of scheming and gameplanning.

I hope the officiating crews do take the game back over and slow down the spotting of the ball between plays.
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 27, 2014, 08:31:55 pm
When I was in school that was unacceptable...

I'd have been sitting on the bench with the DL coach showing me what it feels like to get screamed at, spittle and all.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

So, for all those that don't like the idea of the refs doing things the same way for ALL teams, if the offense should be able to yell at the refs to hurry up, shouldn't the defense be able to tell them to slow down?

This all comes back to how some of you worship at the alter of offense. You would be perfectly happy if football became nothing but a giant 7 on 7 tournament.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Josh Goforth

Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2014, 08:34:48 am
So, for all those that don't like the idea of the refs doing things the same way for ALL teams, if the offense should be able to yell at the refs to hurry up, shouldn't the defense be able to tell them to slow down?

This all comes back to how some of you worship at the alter of offense. You would be perfectly happy if football became nothing but a giant 7 on 7 tournament.
I enjoy watching great defense the same as a great offense. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Polamalu, some of the most fun to watch, and the schemes they were in put them in position to be successful. If a coach puts a slow out of shape DT or LB out there who cant play more than 2 or 3 plays without a break then it is the coaches fault.

hogsanity

Quote from: jg8417 on August 28, 2014, 08:59:19 am
I enjoy watching great defense the same as a great offense. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Polamalu, some of the most fun to watch, and the schemes they were in put them in position to be successful. If a coach puts a slow out of shape DT or LB out there who cant play more than 2 or 3 plays without a break then it is the coaches fault.

Not what I asked.  I asked if it is okay for the offense to scream  at the refs to hurry up, is it okay for the defense to scream at the refs to slow down?

My opinion is it is not right for either to do so, and the refs should not cater to either one.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jlhogfan

Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2014, 10:45:27 am
Not what I asked.  I asked if it is okay for the offense to scream  at the refs to hurry up, is it okay for the defense to scream at the refs to slow down?

My opinion is it is not right for either to do so, and the refs should not cater to either one.

If they do it during the last 3 min of each half, why not do it the whole time.  The offense should dictate the pace of play (both fast/slow).

hogsanity

Quote from: jlhogfan on August 28, 2014, 10:50:18 am
If they do it during the last 3 min of each half, why not do it the whole time.  The offense should dictate the pace of play (both fast/slow).

Why?  Why should either side get to dictate anything? 

Plus, as has been pointed out about 30 times, this statement by the officials is simply that they are going to start spotting the ball the same way for everyone, not get caught up in the rush rush flailing of arms, screaming of lets go lets go lets go, etc.  Make the spot, get into position in an timely efficient manner, and whistle the ball in play.  I don't see why the officials treating every team the same is such a burr under the saddle to a few here.

TuskFexas

Teams will still be able to play fast.  I don't see what is so bad about the officials wanting be in position before the ball is snapped.

I imagine in legit 2min drill situations the officials are going to try to get in position rather quickly.

Also this will not hurt offenses such as Auburn's. They can still rush up to the line and let Gus and his little henchmen read the opposing defense until they decide what play to call.
That is the real key to HUNH, not snapping the ball as quick as possible.
The smoker I drink, the player I get!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcaller1 on August 27, 2014, 03:30:30 pm
I enjoy the fast paced game, but it has got to be fair to both sides.  Rule change I'd like to see? If the Offense substitutes, the Defense can substitute as well. If the Offense stands pat, then so does the Defense.

That's the way it is now. Why not if the defense stands pat the offense has too as well. It should go both ways. Why should the offense get to dictate subs.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: snoblind on August 27, 2014, 07:50:39 pm
Defense. has always been able to move.  OL has always been required to be set, at least since the 60's when I started playing. 

Yep. The defense can shift as well as the offense up to a certain point and such but not "simulate" the snap. 

BorderPatrol

Quote from: jlhogfan on August 28, 2014, 10:50:18 am

Um, why? Please explain....

bp

EastexHawg

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 28, 2014, 11:30:00 am
Um, why? Please explain....

Um...because in football the ball has always been snapped at the time of the offense's choosing, not the defense's?  When was the last time you saw the middle linebacker yell to the quarterback, "Okay.  Joe here is going to count down from five, and when he gets to zero you guys snap the ball.  That way we'll all be ready at the same time"?

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 28, 2014, 11:56:27 am
Um...because in football the ball has always been snapped at the time of the offense's choosing, not the defense's?  When was the last time you saw the middle linebacker yell to the quarterback, "Okay.  Joe here is going to count down from five, and when he gets to zero you guys snap the ball.  That way we'll all be ready at the same time"?

And that time has always been at least 1 second AFTER the ball is whistled ready for play, and what the refs are talking about is NOT going to impact that one bit.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 28, 2014, 11:56:27 am

Of course the offense gets to snap it when it chooses. I have no problem with that or the game would be very, very long and might not ever end! My issue is the D should be able to sub before the snap as well as the offense. If the O wants to sub fine. If the D wants to sub fine. However allow BOTH the opportunity to do so before any play and dictated by the refs and not just whether the O does or not.