Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slow down! Refs want to hit pause on up-tempo play

Started by Choctaw Hog, August 26, 2014, 06:26:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Choctaw Hog

http://www.wsbtv.com/ap/ap/sports/slow-down-refs-want-to-hit-pause-on-up-tempo-play/ng8wD/

Interesting.

By JOHN MARSHALL

The Associated Press

PHOENIX —

The quarterback throws toward the sideline, where a receiver hauls the pass in, gets two feet down and flips the ball to the official.

What follows is a chaotic dance between an up-tempo offense and the defense trying to stop it.

Offensive players stream off the field, crossing paths with their replacements. The defense makes substitutions, players scramble to get into position.

Caught in the middle are the officials, who have to find a balance between spotting the ball quickly for the offense and allowing the defense time to set up — something that's increasingly been a problem since fast-paced offenses have cropped up more frequently in college football.

"From the officiating standpoint, we kind of got caught up in this thing and allowed ourselves to sort of get overwhelmed by it," NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding said. "Too much rushing around, hurrying and trying to be speedy about getting the ball in play and it sort of put the defense at a disadvantage."

Now, the officials are taking the pace back.

Formalizing ideas they've discussed among themselves over the past few seasons, the officials have added pace-of-play procedures in the football officiating mechanics manual.

It's not specific rules, but more of an outline on how to appease the up-tempo offenses while keeping the defenses relatively happy.

"It's not revolutionary, but it sort of calls attention to the need for the officials not to make the ball ready for play until all the officials are in position," said Redding, a referee in the SEC from 1994-2004. "That may mean cleaning up the sideline before, but having the umpire sort of crisply jog but don't sprint, hustle but don't hurry in getting the ball ready for play."

The officials had control of a game's pace when college football had a 25-second clock. They stopped the clock at the end of a play and started it again before the next one through an orchestration of hand signals to the clock operator.

Switching to a running 40-second play clock in 2008 changed everything.

Under the new system, the play clock for the next play starts immediately after the previous one ends.

That put the pace of a game into the hands of the offense; the faster they lined up to the ball, the faster they could snap it.

As is usually the case, it didn't take teams long to figure a way to use the new rule to their advantage. By playing at a 2-minute-drill pace the entire game, they realized they could wear opposing defenses down and limit their ability to make substitutions.

Once a few teams had success with it, more piled on, some running up to 100 plays a game.

With coaches and players screaming in their ears to spot the ball quickly, the officials found themselves rushing — and putting defenses at a disadvantage in the process.

"There was a sense of urgency because it was something new to us, especially the teams that wanted to go at that fast pace," said Gerald Austin, coordinator of officials for Conference USA. "Across the country, we pretty much said, wait a minute, there's no obligation to speed up how we get the ball spotted during the normal portion of the game."

The officials are trying to do what the NCAA has been unable to so far.

With defenses backpedaling to keep up with the up-tempo offenses, the NCAA looked into the possibility of prohibiting teams from snapping the ball until at least 10 seconds had run off the 40-second play clock.

Supporters of the rule, like Arkansas' Bret Bielema and Alabama's Nick Saban, argued it was needed to allow teams to substitute for fatigued players and prevent injuries.

Coaches of fast-paced offenses vehemently opposed the proposed rule and the NCAA shelved it, but will likely have more discussions about pace of play in the coming years.

"It is a trend in the game that a lot of people on the offensive side of the ball love, but if you're on the defensive side, you're concerned about it," Redding said. "I really believe the pace of play debate is going to continue for some time."

How the officials handle the game isn't the only thing that has changed with the increase in up-tempo offenses.

The officials themselves have changed.

Used to be, officiating crews had a few older guys who had trouble keeping up with fleet receivers and a beefy guy in the middle — usually a former offensive or defensive lineman — working as the umpire. They would run a bit in the weeks before the season, but that would be it.

Over the past decade or so, officials have spent much more time on their conditioning, running and working out year-round so they'll be ready for the rigors of the new fast-paced game. The annual camps they attend often have a trainer or doctor on site to talk about conditioning and nutrition, and overall fitness is also something conferences now look at when hiring new officials.

"You very seldom see an official at the college level anymore who appears to be out of shape," said Austin, a former NFL official. "Even those who appear to be big boned and bulkier, they're in shape and ready to go for a full 60 minutes."

They need to be at this pace.

PorkSoda

"It's not revolutionary, but it sort of calls attention to the need for the officials not to make the ball ready for play until all the officials are in position," said Redding, a referee in the SEC from 1994-2004. "That may mean cleaning up the sideline before, but having the umpire sort of crisply jog but don't sprint, hustle but don't hurry in getting the ball ready for play."

I think that is a fair compromise
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Biggus Piggus

Something tells me some reporters in Alabama are going to completely ignore this story.
[CENSORED]!

forrest city joe

More BS from Mike Slive, Steve Shaw and the Sec. this is nothing more than the Sec trying to help Nick Saban, and Alabama. Saban's defense can't keep up with the spread. he could not get the rules changed to stop it. so the sec refs will do it for him. what a sickening joke.

Inhogswetrust

So the officials have a problem with to much advantage going to the offense just like defensive minded coaches do. I'm fine with a fast pace but there has to be a way for defenses to substitute irregardless of pace and whether the offense subs or not.  Why should the offense get the right to dictate substitution ability. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 27, 2014, 08:41:06 am
More BS from Mike Slive, Steve Shaw and the Sec. this is nothing more than the Sec trying to help Nick Saban, and Alabama. Saban's defense can't keep up with the spread. he could not get the rules changed to stop it. so the sec refs will do it for him. what a sickening joke.

Does EVERYTHING sicken you?  Just about all of your posts mention you feeling ill. 

How is this an SEC thing? Redding is the NCAA coordinator of officials. This is something being discussed by ALL NCAA refs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 27, 2014, 08:06:49 am
Something tells me some reporters in Alabama on the west Georgia Plains are going to completely ignore this story.

I think this is more appropriate............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RT1941

So you're all for the officiating crew getting bulldozed by those HUNH coaches and players screaming and yelling at the refs to rush around as fast as possible to get the ball set in an effort to speed up the game so that the defense can't sub their players?

IMO - the officials see that they were getting overwhelmed with the HUNH teams and altered the natural progression of the game in order to accomodate the speed demon fast paced teams.  The officials "should" not alter their processes for a HUNH team or for a slow as molassis team.  They "should" work through their officiating process the same regardless of who is screaming at them from the sideline and on the field.

Pisses me off that players are allowed to yell at refs on the field to get them to hurry up.  Coaches can scream all they want, but those kids should show some respect to the officiating crew.
RazorTusk!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 27, 2014, 08:50:30 am
I'm fine with a fast pace but there has to be a way for defenses to substitute irregardless of pace and whether the offense subs or not.  Why should the offense get the right to dictate substitution ability. 

Exactly. Imagine if there was a mechanism in place where the DEFENSE dictated whether the offense could substitute. Everyone would freak out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

BAMAPERRY

All Saban wants is the ball to be placed the same for both teams. Last year the Officials sped up getting the ball in play for HUNH teams. Not fair. They were out of position constantly and were missing penalties that should have been called. IMO, Malzahn counts on that. Hopefully, they have corrected that. They're experimenting with an added Official one game a week this year. Will be interesting to see how many times that crew is assigned to a HUNH game.

jm

The ball should never be snapped before the officials are ready. They can't allow the game to get so fast and frantic that they aren't able successfully determine that participation rules are followed.

RT1941

I think we will see a conscience effort from some of the officiating crews to standardized their on-field progressions during the game.  Why the hell should they feel the need to rush around all over the field for the HUNH teams when they wouldn't do it for the traditional offenses?  Should be the same pace of play and their officiating processes shouldn't be altered due to the type of offense on the field.
RazorTusk!!!!

LRHawg

Quote from: BAMAPERRY on August 27, 2014, 08:57:43 am
All Saban wants is the ball to be placed the same for both teams. Last year the Officials sped up getting the ball in play for HUNH teams. Not fair. They were out of position constantly and were missing penalties that should have been called. IMO, Malzahn counts on that. Hopefully, they have corrected that. They're experimenting with an added Official one game a week this year. Will be interesting to see how many times that crew is assigned to a HUNH game.

This is what I was thinking as well. Just because you found a loophole and exploited it for a while, doesn't mean it won't close, or that you get to complain about the advantage you were enjoying going away.

I feel the same way about taxes. Great job that your accountant found a loophole in our mountain of tax code, but don't complain when the IRS adds yet another chapter to the huge book.

also,

Will be interesting to see how much auburn's coaches and players try and speed up the officiating on Saturday. I'm sure the officials will get worked over hard since it's at home for them.

BorderPatrol

Joe, what are you talking about?

bp

TeedupHigh

What condition do you have that makes you sick all the time?  Saban don't need any help and the article was not written by anyone connected to the SEC.  MORE BS FROM FCJ as usual and his everyone is out to get us.......

RT1941

Quote from: jm on August 27, 2014, 08:59:03 am
The ball should never be snapped before the officials are ready. They can't allow the game to get so fast and frantic that they aren't able successfully determine that participation rules are followed.
+1
And the officials shouldn't run so fast they pull a hamstring just to get the ball set for a group of sideline coaches and players yelling their heads off to hurry-hurry-hurry. 

Some of those fast pace coaches look like they're having a fit on the sideline when they see they may have a defensive player out of sync and they can't get the ball snapped to take advantage of it.
RazorTusk!!!!

GuvHog

In the last 25 years or so, all of the rule changes have benefited the offense. IMHO it's past time to go the other direction and make a rule change or 2 that will benefit the Defenses.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RT1941 on August 27, 2014, 09:01:32 am
I think we will see a conscience effort from some of the officiating crews to standardized their on-field progressions during the game.  Why the hell should they feel the need to rush around all over the field for the HUNH teams when they wouldn't do it for the traditional offenses?  Should be the same pace of play and their officiating processes shouldn't be altered due to the type of offense on the field.

Exactly. Maybe they should go back to the old 25 second rule.

BAMAPERRY

I still do not understand why HUNH OL are allowed to move around, up and down, without it being called a penalty. Meerkat BS.

RT1941

RazorTusk!!!!

trashcan maN

Does this mean that they will start calling holding and false starts against Auburn?

Also, for the "I wish he'd shut up and win on the field" crowd. Sometimes bitching in pressers prompts change. If Saban and Bielema never started bitching, this would probably not be an issue.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogsanity on August 27, 2014, 08:51:54 am
Does EVERYTHING sicken you?  Just about all of your posts mention you feeling ill. 

How is this an SEC thing? Redding is the NCAA coordinator of officials. This is something being discussed by ALL NCAA refs.
No not everything. just BS like this. the sec and the Ncaa do not give a crap about coaches like coach B being against the fast pace offense. but when Saban starts crying about it, all of a sudden the refswill do something about it.he could not get the rules changed. so now the refs will help him out. i am so sick of Bama's BS.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 27, 2014, 09:12:54 am
No not everything. just BS like this. the sec and the Ncaa do not give a crap about coaches like coach B being against the fast pace offense. but when Saban starts crying about it, all of a sudden the refswill do something about it.he could not get the rules changed. so now the refs will help him out. i am so sick of Bama's BS.

Wait, wasn't Saban complaining about it long before CBB ever got to Arkansas?

bp

LRHawg

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 27, 2014, 09:11:59 am
Does this mean that they will start calling holding and false starts against Auburn?

Hope so. I'll believe this stuff gets changed when I see it on the field. All talk until they actually do something.

BAMAPERRY

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 27, 2014, 09:14:45 am
Wait, wasn't Saban complaining about it long before CBB ever got to Arkansas?

bp

Saban was complaining about it in 2008 when they made the play clock rule change allowing this. I didn't know what he was talking about then, I do now.

Pork Twain

August 27, 2014, 09:18:31 am #25 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:38:16 am by Pork Twain
There are many more than just Saban that play a much more traditional offense and defense but nice try FCJ
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Großer Kriegschwein

I'm fairly certain Nick has beaten more spread teams than he has lost to since he's been at Alabama, including 5 in a row vs. the Petrino power spread. .500 against the Malzahn spread and has historically owned Florida.
This is my non-signature signature.

RT1941

Saban has a bigger "voice" than CBB - that man speaks and folks listen.  When CBB has accomplished what Saban has, his voice will carry the same weight.

The end result is that we will now see a more conscientious effort on the part of the officiating crew to equalize the pace of play during a game.  They will hopefully no longer cater to the speed of the HUNH teams ~ they will standardize their proccesses on the field regardless of what kind of offenses the teams incorporate.  The refs don't need to get overwhelmed by screaming coaches on the sideline and players harassing them on the field to rush through their job.
RazorTusk!!!!

hogsanity

The refs should have a standard system for setting the ball.  If it takes 15 seconds or 25 seconds or 10 seconds, they should do it the same way every time. They should not rush because one offense wants to hurry, but then take their sweet time just because the other offense uses a huddle.

The one that really bothers me is when a hunh offense gets tackled, the ref runs up and basically starts pulling defenders off the ball carrier, while the umpire rushes in with a new ball for the spot, yet if, for example, AC gets tackled, the defense lays on him for 10 seconds, while the officials saunter around in no hurry to do anything. The game, in any sport, must be officiated the same way for ALL teams.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogsanity on August 27, 2014, 09:24:41 am
The refs should have a standard system for setting the ball.  If it takes 15 seconds or 25 seconds or 10 seconds, they should do it the same way every time. They should not rush because one offense wants to hurry, but then take their sweet time just because the other offense uses a huddle.

The one that really bothers me is when a hunh offense gets tackled, the ref runs up and basically starts pulling defenders off the ball carrier, while the umpire rushes in with a new ball for the spot, yet if, for example, AC gets tackled, the defense lays on him for 10 seconds, while the officials saunter around in no hurry to do anything. The game, in any sport, must be officiated the same way for ALL teams.

Amen
This is my non-signature signature.

hogsanity

Quote from: RT1941 on August 27, 2014, 09:21:30 am

The end result is that we will now see a more conscientious effort on the part of the officiating crew to equalize the pace of play during a game.  They will hopefully no longer cater to the speed of the HUNH teams ~ they will standardize their proccesses on the field regardless of what kind of offenses the teams incorporate.  The refs don't need to get overwhelmed by screaming coaches on the sideline and players harassing them on the field to rush through their job.

I'll believe it when I see it.  Kind of like how in baseball they keep saying they will enforce the rules on staying in the batters box, 20 seconds to pitch, and some other things to speed the pace of play, they have been saying this every spring for 20 years, but it never happens.

LZH

Quote from: BAMAPERRY on August 27, 2014, 09:11:07 am
I still do not understand why HUNH OL are allowed to move around, up and down, without it being called a penalty. Meerkat BS.

Me either.  It used to be a penalty, or at least I thought so.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BAMAPERRY on August 27, 2014, 09:11:07 am

In all fairness the DL is allowed to move as well.

bphi11ips

August 27, 2014, 09:28:15 am #33 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:01:37 am by bphi11ips
+1 for hogsanity.  Why should the officials rush to accomodate one team's preferred tempo? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

This should make some people happy.  If they do this, Florida St may not hang 70 on Oct 30.

And maybe Oregon could start doing helmet changes between every play to accommodate more use of their 2456 uniform schemes.

Hoggish1

It works for us, too.  Not so sickening...

RT1941

Quote from: hogsanity on August 27, 2014, 09:24:41 am

Well, the spotlight is now on the officials.  They've been informed of the irregularities in their performance in the past that catered to the HUNH teams.  They acknowledge that they got caught up in the frenzy to speedup their process.  We'll see if they adjust.
RazorTusk!!!!

BAMAPERRY

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 27, 2014, 09:28:15 am
+1 for hagsanity.  Why should the officials rush to accomodate one team's preferred tempo?

But the OL aren't supposed to be allowed to do it. DL are allowed to do it to even things out, the OL know what play is coming.

hogsanity

Quote from: RT1941 on August 27, 2014, 09:31:10 am
Well, the spotlight is now on the officials.  They've been informed of the irregularities in their performance in the past that catered to the HUNH teams.  They acknowledge that they got caught up in the frenzy to speedup their process.  We'll see if they adjust.

I could see how they could get caught up in the pace. Everyone around them is rushing around like their pants are on fire, it would be really easy to let that impact how you do your job.

HogShat

This has been a peeve of mine. You see a team with no timeouts frantically trying to line up to run the last play from the 5 for the winning score, refs hauling ass around the field out of position the whole mess looks like a chinese fire drill. When only 8 or 10 plays ago evrything was going at a leisurely normal pace between plays. That has a direct effect on the outcome at the end. Had they hustled like that the whole game, the team could possibly still have 2 or 3 minutes left to score. I think the answer is a happy medium between leisurely and fast paced, basically saying the refs have for example say 15 seconds (just a # thrown out there) from whistle dead to whistle ready for play. If they surpass that 15 seconds because of a big pile up or a drawn out play or whatever, the game clock stops at the end of that 15 seconds and doesnt restart until they blow it ready. That way the pace of the officials cannot dictate the pace of the game. 

RT1941

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 27, 2014, 09:30:59 am
It works for us, too.  Not so sickening...
He's not sickened by the possible change in officiating ~ he's pissed that Saban has so much pull with the NCAA & conference that he more than likely was the reason to spur these refs to act on their inconsistancies and possibly try to alter their officiating process. 

RazorTusk!!!!

DeltaBoy

It is a good move the Crew needs to be in position to call the game properly.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 27, 2014, 09:20:38 am
I'm fairly certain Nick has beaten more spread teams than he has lost to since he's been at Alabama, including 5 in a row vs. the Petrino power spread. .500 against the Malzahn spread and has historically owned Florida.
Gus and Bob Stoops kick Saban's you know what with the fast pace offense. OU 45 points. A&M lost but scored 42 points.Auburn 34 points. all against Saban's defense. teams with enough talent who run the spread, give the Saban defense fits.and he cries about it, and now the refs are going to help him get his 5 star defense studs on the field.

Pork Twain

Quote from: RT1941 on August 27, 2014, 09:35:24 am
He's not sickened by the possible change in officiating ~ he's pissed that Saban has so much pull with the NCAA & conference that he more than likely was the reason to spur these refs to act on their inconsistancies and possibly try to alter their officiating process. 

The assumption that Saban has this much power is based on what?  There are several coaches, ADs, universities and media types that are 100% against this.  I am sickened by all the assumptions that are made on Hogville with such little information
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RT1941

Quote from: hogsanity on August 27, 2014, 09:32:35 am
I could see how they could get caught up in the pace. Everyone around them is rushing around like their pants are on fire, it would be really easy to let that impact how you do your job.
Oh I can see how it could happen as well.  You've got a dozen coaches rushing you and screaming from the sideline - you've got offensive players jumping up and down and handing you the ball immediately after the drive and they are yelling go-go-go in your ear.....  As an official, you feel the need to speed up. 

Hopefully, the refs recognize what was happening and they will make a conscience effort to standardize their process regardless of what kind of offense is on the field. 

A brief talk with the coaches "before" kick off would help things.  Tell the coaches you will not tolerate screaming and yelling from the sideline and damn sure won't tolerate it from players on the field.  That you will manage the game at a reasonable pace.
RazorTusk!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 27, 2014, 09:37:54 am
Gus and Bob Stoops kick Saban's you know what with the fast pace offense. OU 45 points. A&M lost but scored 42 points.Auburn 34 points. all against Saban's defense. teams with enough talent who run the spread, give the Saban defense fits.and he cries about it, and now the refs are going to help him get his 5 star defense studs on the field.

I find that odd Joe, since everyone knows that Saban's forte' is defense. He's a defensive Guru.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hobhog

Even refs in basketball used to hold the ball until everyone was set back in Nolans day. I think the refs have this right. No reason to be rushing around with people all over the place and being out of position.

RT1941

Quote from: forrest city joe on August 27, 2014, 09:37:54 am
You'd rather bitch about Saban than be happy about a potential change that will benefit our Hogs and CBB?

I don't understand Joe?

RazorTusk!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: HogShat on August 27, 2014, 09:34:24 am
This has been a peeve of mine. You see a team with no timeouts frantically trying to line up to run the last play from the 5 for the winning score, refs hauling ass around the field out of position the whole mess looks like a chinese fire drill. When only 8 or 10 plays ago evrything was going at a leisurely normal pace between plays. That has a direct effect on the outcome at the end. Had they hustled like that the whole game, the team could possibly still have 2 or 3 minutes left to score. I think the answer is a happy medium between leisurely and fast paced, basically saying the refs have for example say 15 seconds (just a # thrown out there) from whistle dead to whistle ready for play. If they surpass that 15 seconds because of a big pile up or a drawn out play or whatever, the game clock stops at the end of that 15 seconds and doesnt restart until they blow it ready. That way the pace of the officials cannot dictate the pace of the game. 

The game clock has very little to do with what is being discussed.  In your scenario, maybe if that team had not spent 30 secnds standing at the line looking at the sidelines for a poster with pictures of Jayz, a corncob, the symbol for pi, and a rainbow, they would have 2 or 3 minutes left instead of praying to ge the ball set for one more play.

What is being discussed here is officials doing things differently for a hunh team than they do for other teams.  They are simply, if I read it right, saying they will standardize how they do things between plays, regardless of offensive style.

RT1941

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 27, 2014, 09:40:53 am
The assumption that Saban has this much power is based on what?  There are several coaches, ADs, universities and media types that are 100% against this.  I am sickened by all the assumptions that are made on Hogville with such little information
Forrestcityjoe is the one sickened that Saban "cried" because his defense can't stop those team and now the officials are taking notice and changes are coming. 
RazorTusk!!!!