Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Daytrieon Dean signs FAA

Started by The_Iceman, August 26, 2014, 02:52:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Bad News Boar

Thanks for the post.

I certainly do not claim to be a scout or player evaluator, however...
When I watched that Hudl film on Mr. Dean, I saw:

Below average "get-off" as a DE. That is, he does not explode around the end of the line and pressure the QB.
Below average "punch". When he engages the O-linemen, there is no drive to push them back either initially, or over the span of the play.
Average speed for a DL.
Above average size. When he spreads those arms out to tackle, he looks like a bear.

Seems to be a project player, but does possess things that aren't teachable in size, and decent speed. Expect to see him hit the field around Jr. to Sr. year.
Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Bad News Boar on August 26, 2014, 03:05:04 pm
Thanks for the post.

Below average "get-off" as a DE. That is, he does not explode around the end of the line and pressure the QB.
Below average "punch". When he engages the O-linemen, there is no drive to push them back either initially, or over the span of the play.
Average speed for a DL.
Above average size. When he spreads those arms out to tackle, he looks like a bear.

Seems to be a project player, but does possess things that aren't teachable in size, and decent speed. Expect to see him hit the field around Jr. to Sr. year.

My guess is that they will give him 2-3 years with Herbert. By his redshirt sophomore or junior year, he should be 6'3" and close to 300lbs. Likely projected to the interior DL.

He is a good prospect/project. A good instate kid that wants to be a Hog and has upside. No reason to pass on him. Not everyone can come in right away.

ml2200

Thanks for the post.

Average speed for a DL.

Coaches took his commitment before he finished his junior year in high school.  I'd say he was a plan A guy. Not sure what more you can ask for. 

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Bubba's Bruisers

Yes, I think he's going to be a DT.  love that he's another kid coming in early.  He'll probably be 285 by his RS freshman year.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LRHawg

Thanks for the post.

Average speed for a DL.

Some positives I see are his ability to maintain awareness of where the ball carrier while shucking the OL and see out the play/tackle. He also looked good in open-field tackle situations.

alwaysnextyear

Thanks for the post.

Average speed for a DL.

Below average compared to who?

PorkRinds

Thanks for the post.

Average speed for a DL.

I've seen him play probably 15-20 times and know his position coach personally. Part if what you see is their defensive scheme. His job isn't to push his guy back. His job is to beat him and get good leverage off the line, and then shed the block. His coach doesn't want him engaged with the oline for long. Basically he engages, reads the play, and then breaks the block. They tend to use their DT's to pressure the QB and keep the DE's reading the play to keep teams from busting plays to the outside. That's my understanding from attending their camps and talking to their coaches anyway. A lot of it does depend on who they are playing. Heavy run teams you won't see him do much pass rush because he's focused on containing outside run plays. Obviously, a team like greenwood that passes a lot you'll see more of him pass rushing. 

10thPlanet

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 26, 2014, 02:52:05 pm

I guess the staff is projecting him to add weight and become a DT.
If he is going to be a DT, he doesn't know it.  Doesn't mean it won't happen. He's working on his speed, and agility off the edge. DE is where his heart's at, but he's a team player and will do what is asked of him. Great young man. Probably going to finish HS with a 4.0 gpa. Loves being a Razorback.

10thPlanet

Thanks for the post.

Average speed for a DL.

Dean went against the nations top OL recruits this Summer with great success. When it's his turn he'll be fine.