Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iowa State Board

Started by popcornhog, August 26, 2014, 10:17:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

intelligence

Quote from: popcornhog on September 18, 2014, 01:14:17 pm
Where do you live now, anywhere near NWA? Were you a kid when your dad took you in 1999?

If memory serves, that was Stromile Swift's freshman year, right? LSU was pretty good around that time.

i live in the River Valley, have my whole life. Yeah, i was just a kid. bout the only thing i remember is that we were in the nosebleeds, and my dad bought us a giant pretzel that was salty af. I also remember there was this one pasty looking, baby faced white guy, who kept nailing 3's all game long. I want to say he played for the hogs, but i was just a kid, so i don't remember. it may not have been 1999, but it was somewhere around there.

mj4cy

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 18, 2014, 12:02:48 pm
I like Dustin Hogue.  He works hard out there.  I think Niang is a bit overrated.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how our team plays in Ames.

Interesting...most would say he's underrated. Lots of people last year thought he was MVP to ISU's team even moreso than Kane or Ejim.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205435883

The Hogfather

Quote from: mj4cy on September 18, 2014, 02:59:32 pm
Interesting...most would say he's underrated. Lots of people last year thought he was MVP to ISU's team even moreso than Kane or Ejim.

Yeah, I disagree.

Hawg Red

Quote from: intelligence on September 18, 2014, 01:24:33 pm
i live in the River Valley, have my whole life. Yeah, i was just a kid. bout the only thing i remember is that we were in the nosebleeds, and my dad bought us a giant pretzel that was salty af. I also remember there was this one pasty looking, baby faced white guy, who kept nailing 3's all game long. I want to say he played for the hogs, but i was just a kid, so i don't remember. it may not have been 1999, but it was somewhere around there.

Pat Bradley is the only player that could fit that description for the Hogs in that game in '99. Hit 5 3s in that game. He hit 4 3s in the game at home against LSU the year before. It was probably one of those two years. Wasn't 2000. And it wasn't anyone for LSU.

pigture perfect

Quote from: hog.goblin on August 26, 2014, 03:39:24 pm
easy drive too.  7 hours from Fayetteville to Ames, interstate all the way.  6 1/2 if you push it.
And if you time it right, you could stop for lunch and get some of the greatest BBQ in the world. (KC)
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 18, 2014, 03:35:46 pm
Pat Bradley is the only player that could fit that description for the Hogs in that game in '99. Hit 5 3s in that game. He hit 4 3s in the game at home against LSU the year before. It was probably one of those two years. Wasn't 2000. And it wasn't anyone for LSU.
yep I think that was right. The name sounds familiar

hog.goblin

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 18, 2014, 03:50:42 pm
And if you time it right, you could stop for lunch and get some of the greatest BBQ in the world. (KC)

Any personal recommendations?  I typically will get Oklahoma Joes or Jack Stack's.

WarPig88

Quote from: -Blu on August 26, 2014, 12:17:59 pm
You realize you just basically gave a description of our team from last year right?  All 5 of our guys in the starting lineup could and would shoot the 3.  Clarke was the 4 and he frequently drew his guy out and took the 3 pointer.  We run the court and try to get a bunch of dunks and layups and catch the other teams defense sleeping as well.  Only thing we really didn't do is pass the ball effectively, and that was probably due to the lack of a PG that could distribute, but we had our moments when we had good ball movement and set guys up for really good shots.  And that's CMAs ultimate goal to be a great passing team, he says it in nearly every presser. 

I would be nervous of this game, but not for the reasons you mentioned those are actually positives for us, because we play similar style and the pace they play at is comfortable to us.  If they beat us it will be because of the home court or them just more talent and out playing us, not because their style of play was a problem.

I watched them also. Kane and Edjim brought much more to their team than just their physical talents. Those two were the heart and soul of that team.

If this team is anywhere as near as good as they were last year, it will be due to Hoiberg's ability as a coach.

But seriously, they are replacing their version of a Corliss and Scotty tandem up there. You are a very fortunate program indeed if you simply reload rather than replace guys like that.

I don't see how they can be nearly as effective out of the gate this season due only to the fact that they are having to replace their GREAT players and not just a couple of good ones.

WarPig88

Quote from: mj4cy on September 18, 2014, 02:59:32 pm

Niang is good.................for your third option. If he remains the third option this season, then the Cyclones are going to be set up for another great year.

It remains to be seen how he is as a first option though. Keep in mind that the guy wasn't even the first option on his highschool team.

popcornhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 18, 2014, 03:50:42 pm

I live in KC now and was born in Memphis. I'm still voting Memphis as my favorite because of the emphasis on pulled pork.

That said, if you do stop in KC, my top recommendations are Lawnside, Oklahoma Joe's, Jon Russel's, or Arthur Bryant.
WPS

mj4cy

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 20, 2014, 10:11:28 am
Niang is good.................for your third option. If he remains the third option this season, then the Cyclones are going to be set up for another great year.

It remains to be seen how he is as a first option though. Keep in mind that the guy wasn't even the first option on his highschool team.

first of all, the argument of him not even being the first option in High school is the most irrelevant thing to anything I've heard in a long time. Has no bearing Sn ISU vs. Arkansas this year.

second - of the 34 games he played in, he took the most shots in 20 of them. Hoiberg has openly said half of his playbook is sets and plays for Niang.

The Hogfather

If Niang is ISU's best player, I'm happier than if we were playing them last year.  He was at least the 3rd best player last season.

This game won't be easy in Ames, but I fear no Niang.  I think he's soft.

WarPig88

Quote from: mj4cy on September 24, 2014, 04:13:30 pm
first of all, the argument of him not even being the first option in High school is the most irrelevant thing to anything I've heard in a long time. Has no bearing Sn ISU vs. Arkansas this year.

second - of the 34 games he played in, he took the most shots in 20 of them. Hoiberg has openly said half of his playbook is sets and plays for Niang.

So you think a guy who can't be the first option on his hs team is going to be a great first option for his college team?

McDermott did do this, but Niang is light years from being a McDermott type player.

Inferring that Niang was not the third option last year is probably the most absurd thing in this thread.

The Hogfather

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 26, 2014, 04:37:42 am
Inferring that Niang was not the third option last year is probably the most absurd thing in this thread.

Agreed.

mj4cy

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 26, 2014, 04:37:42 am
So you think a guy who can't be the first option on his hs team is going to be a great first option for his college team?

McDermott did do this, but Niang is light years from being a McDermott type player.

As someone who watched every single game, he definitely was not the third option. In fact, there weren't really priorities in options beyond Kane just because he brought the ball up the first half of the year. Just a fluid offense and all 5 guys having the ability to shoot or drive. That's how Hoiberg likes it.

thehill1414

How did everyone get tickets for this? I checked the ISU site and it looked like they were not for sale yet...

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: thehill1414 on September 29, 2014, 11:22:06 pm
How did everyone get tickets for this? I checked the ISU site and it looked like they were not for sale yet...

I'm surprised they have internet in Iowa

popcornhog

Quote from: thehill1414 on September 29, 2014, 11:22:06 pm

I'm planning on buying them from stubhub to get good seats.

They're not on sale yet.
WPS

WarPig88

Quote from: mj4cy on September 29, 2014, 12:42:48 pm
As someone who watched every single game, he definitely was not the third option. In fact, there weren't really priorities in options beyond Kane just because he brought the ball up the first half of the year. Just a fluid offense and all 5 guys having the ability to shoot or drive. That's how Hoiberg likes it.

I watched them also, when they needed a basket, they didn't go to Niang at all. Clearly a third option guy.

Gerald Gilber

I went through Ames over the weekend, how in the world do they get any players to that school? Fayetteville has so much more to offer than Ames! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Can we play all our games at home????

FATHAWG08

What is even more crazy is they have a 22 page post on Malik Monk. The majority of the post think Monk is a lock to be their first 5 star recruit. One post said the Monk family reached out to Holberg.
I love off season Football!!

cy4prez7

Friendly Iowa State fan here! Figured I'd come over and give my 2 cents.

Georges Niang is absolutely a number one option and to say otherwise is baseless and ignorant. Before getting hurt last year he was averaging 20ppg, 5 assists, 5 rebounds in his last 7. He also lost 25 pounds which will make him even more versatile. Many are predicting him as a potential All-American/ Big 12 player of the year. Very clutch as well.

Monte Morris set the NCAA record for assist to turnover last year at 4.68:1 (6.7:1 in Big 12 play) and is ready to lead the team at PG. Also quietly shot 40% from 3 and defends well. His backup is a highly rated freshman who appears to be solid.

Dustin Hogue is a monster rebounder and almost averaged a double double last year. Expecting big things from him.

We have 2 very solid shooting guards in Matt Thomas and Naz Long that will come off the bench. Bryce Jones (UNLV transfer) looks to start at the 2 spot. He's very athletic and is a great scorer.

McKay unfortunately will not be eligible yet. Nader is relatively unknown but is a freight train in transition. The 7'1 greek will get more minutes early in the season but is still unknown. Can shoot lights out though.

Overall, this is looking to be a more talented team than last years. While replacing a lot, we are bringing in an influx of solid players giving more depth and athleticism that will allow Hoiberg to play faster. He has said we will run a little more this year and probably not shoot as many threes although that will still be an important part of the season. I think Iowa State wins because Hilton Magic is real, but I expect it to be a barn burner and a hell of a game to watch!

I know this is really long but kudos if you read the whole thing. I'll check back to see if you all have any questions for me about Iowa State!

popcornhog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 19, 2014, 07:58:43 pm

Georges Niang is absolutely a number one option and to say otherwise is baseless and ignorant. Before getting hurt last year he was averaging 20ppg, 5 assists, 5 rebounds in his last 7. He also lost 25 pounds which will make him even more versatile. Many are predicting him as a potential All-American/ Big 12 player of the year. Very clutch as well.

Monte Morris set the NCAA record for assist to turnover last year at 4.68:1 (6.7:1 in Big 12 play) and is ready to lead the team at PG. Also quietly shot 40% from 3 and defends well. His backup is a highly rated freshman who appears to be solid.

Dustin Hogue is a monster rebounder and almost averaged a double double last year. Expecting big things from him.

We have 2 very solid shooting guards in Matt Thomas and Naz Long that will come off the bench. Bryce Jones (UNLV transfer) looks to start at the 2 spot. He's very athletic and is a great scorer.

McKay unfortunately will not be eligible yet. Nader is relatively unknown but is a freight train in transition. The 7'1 greek will get more minutes early in the season but is still unknown. Can shoot lights out though.

Overall, this is looking to be a more talented team than last years. While replacing a lot, we are bringing in an influx of solid players giving more depth and athleticism that will allow Hoiberg to play faster. He has said we will run a little more this year and probably not shoot as many threes although that will still be an important part of the season. I think Iowa State wins because Hilton Magic is real, but I expect it to be a barn burner and a hell of a game to watch!

I know this is really long but kudos if you read the whole thing. I'll check back to see if you all have any questions for me about Iowa State!

What's the best way to get tickets? I donate to the Razorback foundation but they are telling me that ISU doesn't make tickets available to the foundation.

Stubhub has only nose bleed or 1st row tickets available.
WPS

cy4prez7

Single game tickets go on sale this Wednesday at 8am and they're going to go fast. Your best bet would be to try to get it through the Iowa State ticket site at that point. Otherwise, stubhub is your other option.

Yeah, we never really have very many away fans. There is generally a section of about 25-50 directly behind the away bench, but other than that, not a whole lot.

popcornhog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 20, 2014, 12:02:42 am
Single game tickets go on sale this Wednesday at 8am and they're going to go fast. Your best bet would be to try to get it through the Iowa State ticket site at that point. Otherwise, stubhub is your other option.

Yeah, we never really have very many away fans. There is generally a section of about 25-50 directly behind the away bench, but other than that, not a whole lot.

Well I am sure there won't be anything good by Wednesday when they go in sale to genpop, but I do plan on calling them Wed morning to check.
WPS

cy4prez7

Yeah, I would call right away or order online if that's an option. This one won't sell out as fast as some of the conference games, but people will recognize Arkansas as a legitimate opponent and want to see this one.

WarPig88

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 19, 2014, 07:58:43 pm

You have fan glasses on where Niang is concerned. He is good don't get me wrong, but he isn't great by any stretch of the imagination.

I love college basketball and have been a big time fan for 40 years. I know the difference between good and great. I also know that it is hard for a fan of a team or player to make that distinction.

Traditionally, your program has never just reloaded and that is what you are talking about when you talk about replacing Kane and Edjim. Niang is not their caliber.

I have no doubts that your team can be good again this season. But even you have admitted there are questions yet to be answered that will truly determine if you are good or not.

The Hogfather

October 20, 2014, 02:27:17 pm #77 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:53:03 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 02:14:48 pm
Traditionally, your program has never just reloaded and that is what you are talking about when you talk about replacing Kane and Edjim. Niang is not their caliber.

The guy is cracking me up.  Anyone who knows basketball knows Niang is not a number one option.  He might be a number one option for Iowa State this year.  And, if that is the case, I like our chances.  I think he's a decent 3rd option.  Kane and Ejim are both much better than Niang.  Glad they're gone.

cy4prez7

While I see where you might think he can't be the #1 option, he was our first option for scoring last year. He has great vision and is clutch in end game situations. He will be the heart and soul of this team.

That's fine though if people want to keep sleeping on him, he's been underrated his whole career. Was overlooked by almost everybody in HS while quietly leading his team (With Nerlens Noel and Oriaki) in both points and rebounds. Fred believes that he is a legit #1 and I have trust in Fred as he's done nothing to make me doubt him.

cy4prez7

Traditionally we have not reloaded, correct, but we have in each year under Fred. After year 2 we lost over fifty percent of our scoring and assists came back stronger the next year. Year 3 we lost 5 seniors who made up for 75% of our scoring and over 60% of our assists and came back stronger yet scoring 4 more ppg.

I'm not saying those stats mean it will be easy to just replace two All-Americans, but this is not an insurmountable task for Fred who is considered one of the best offensive minds in basketball.

The Hogfather

Now he's better than Noel and Oriakhi?  Of course he is.

cy4prez7

October 20, 2014, 07:50:23 pm #81 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:31:04 am by cy4prez7
Quote from: The Hogfather on October 20, 2014, 06:52:43 pm
Now he's better than Noel and Oriakhi?  Of course he is.

Absolutely not saying that. Just saying, he's no stranger to being the first option when it comes to scoring.

edit: From NBC preview today. Fred on Georges, "He was our best player at the time of injury."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/10/17/college-basketball-countdown-no-17-iowa-state/17432737/

WarPig88

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 20, 2014, 06:51:35 pm
Traditionally we have not reloaded, correct, but we have in each year under Fred. After year 2 we lost over fifty percent of our scoring and assists came back stronger the next year. Year 3 we lost 5 seniors who made up for 75% of our scoring and over 60% of our assists and came back stronger yet scoring 4 more ppg.

I'm not saying those stats mean it will be easy to just replace two All-Americans, but this is not an insurmountable task for Fred who is considered one of the best offensive minds in basketball.

Look, I like your coach and program. But he has never had to replace guys like Kane and Ejim before. It's going to take a little time for your team to gel this year.

I just hope we catch you guys before they do because you are correct in saying that there is potential in Ames for another good team.

cy4prez7

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 09:26:03 pm
Look, I like your coach and program. But he has never had to replace guys like Kane and Ejim before. It's going to take a little time for your team to gel this year.

I just hope we catch you guys before they do because you are correct in saying that there is potential in Ames for another good team.

This is a very valid point. Last year's team was able to gel very early in the season, but the two before that took all of the way until conference play to gel. I'm not worried about replacing offensive production because of Fred, but you never really know how/when a team will gel.

The Hogfather

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 21, 2014, 12:22:31 am
This is a very valid point. Last year's team was able to gel very early in the season, but the two before that took all of the way until conference play to gel. I'm not worried about replacing offensive production because of Fred, but you never really know how/when a team will gel.

At least you have the best player in the history of basketball playing for your team.  He'll just dominate until your team jells.

cy4prez7

Quote from: popcornhog on October 20, 2014, 01:24:04 am
Well I am sure there won't be anything good by Wednesday when they go in sale to genpop, but I do plan on calling them Wed morning to check.

Any luck? They went really fast this morning. Arkansas game is one of 10 sellouts so far.

The Hogfather

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 22, 2014, 09:30:19 am
Any luck? They went really fast this morning. Arkansas game is one of 10 sellouts so far.

Wanting to see that future Hall of Famer, Niang.

Cemar_Clone

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 18, 2014, 12:07:28 pm
Just glad DeAndre Kane is gone...

ISU is going to be a great barometer of where we really are

I think it will be a great barometer for both teams.  Very similar to last years ISU/Michigan game.  Big time basketball early in the year.  Win or lose, your RPI will go up for playing a tough game.  Heck look at Michigan, they lost by 7 in Ames and yet easily won the Big 10.  It will definitely be a battle!

cy4prez7

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 22, 2014, 01:24:10 pm
Wanting to see that future Hall of Famer, Niang.

Seriously, you gotta get off that. Not once have I said anything along these lines. I'm simply trying to defend the fact that Georges is a legitimate first option. I just hope the Arkansas basketball players are treating his ability the same way as you all are, although I know that won't be the case.

popcornhog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 22, 2014, 09:30:19 am

They were sold out by the time I got through.

I'm debating between

A) $400 1st row sideline seats

B) $300 corner around row 20

C) $50 upper level

D) Going up there without tickets and seeing what I can get
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on October 22, 2014, 04:31:29 pm
Seriously, you gotta get off that. Not once have I said anything along these lines. I'm simply trying to defend the fact that Georges is a legitimate first option. I just hope the Arkansas basketball players are treating his ability the same way as you all are, although I know that won't be the case.

Obviously we haven't actually seen him in that position for a full year, so I am not 100% sold, but I tend to think that he can be a legit #1. I like his game.

Make no mistake though, Arkansas is capable of winning the game.
WPS

cy4prez7

Quote from: popcornhog on October 22, 2014, 08:04:27 pm
Obviously we haven't actually seen him in that position for a full year, so I am not 100% sold, but I tend to think that he can be a legit #1. I like his game.

Make no mistake though, Arkansas is capable of winning the game.

Oh, I definitely agree with this. I think at Arkansas that's a very tough game for Iowa State. I give ISU the nod because of Hilton but that doesn't mean Arkansas can't win. Should be a very fast paced and fun game to watch and I'm looking forward to it for sure!

cy4prez7

Quote from: popcornhog on October 22, 2014, 08:02:35 pm
They were sold out by the time I got through.

I'm debating between

A) $400 1st row sideline seats

B) $300 corner around row 20

C) $50 upper level

D) Going up there without tickets and seeing what I can get

I if you're willing to spend the money, the sideline seats are awesome. But if you're in between the corner row 20 and the upper level, I'd go upper level based on the price. There really isn't a bad seat in Hilton.

thehill1414

So don't go up there without tickets? I didn't get them in time.

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on September 18, 2014, 01:24:33 pm

That's awesome. I don't know how I missed your response earlier.

As someone else already said -- that had to have been Pat Bradley. Dude could drill threes. I was 16 at the time and those were the days where I absolutely lived and breathed hog hoops.

That's cool that you remember the pretzel -- I have a lot of things like that which may not sound like a huge deal, but it sticks with you. Great memories.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: thehill1414 on October 22, 2014, 11:17:38 pm

You didn't get what tickets in time?
WPS

cy4prez7

You might be able to get them outside of the Coliseum, but I have no idea what kind of market there is for that so I can't tell you either way.

popcornhog

Do you care whether you're in the upper deck?
WPS

thehill1414

I don't care about being the upper deck, but for an early season game, these prices are crazy.

popcornhog

Quote from: thehill1414 on October 24, 2014, 08:21:30 am
I don't care about being the upper deck, but for an early season game, these prices are crazy.

Upper deck seats available at $66 on stubhub.
WPS