Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iowa State Board

Started by popcornhog, August 26, 2014, 10:17:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cemar_Clone

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on September 29, 2014, 11:54:21 pm
I'm surprised they have internet in Iowa

Ever hear of the ABC computer?  ISU invented the digital computer in 1939, long before ENIAC. 

The Hogfather

mj4cy

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 09:26:03 pm
Look, I like your coach and program. But he has never had to replace guys like Kane and Ejim before. It's going to take a little time for your team to gel this year.

I just hope we catch you guys before they do because you are correct in saying that there is potential in Ames for another good team.

Iowa State had to replace more production the two years prior to what they have to replace this year.

Cbssports just picked Niang as the 7th best player in the nation.

mj4cy

Quote from: thehill1414 on October 24, 2014, 08:21:30 am
I don't care about being the upper deck, but for an early season game, these prices are crazy.

The demand for ISU basketball is at an all time high. I myself had trouble getting tickets. Hope you can make the trip and enjoy Ames.

The Hogfather

Quote from: mj4cy on October 31, 2014, 02:05:27 pm

He got hosed!  He's clearly the best player in the WORLD!

WarPig88

Quote from: mj4cy on October 31, 2014, 02:05:27 pm
Iowa State had to replace more production the two years prior to what they have to replace this year.

Every team has top scorers and rebounders. Even the crummiest programs out there have them.

If you are really claiming that Hoiberg consistently has Kane/Edjim type players on his team that he routinely is replacing, then you haven't watched ISU much over the years.

As far as that list goes, even the guy who published pointed out, it really isn't that big of a deal. If you actually look at the list, it's more of a popularity contest based on program and conference affiliations than a true measuring stick for talent.

mhuff

November 01, 2014, 04:36:39 pm #106 Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:29:05 pm by mhuff
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on August 26, 2014, 03:50:58 pm
I agree with you we are similar as far as running the floor although that wasn't my point.  I don't see how you could be comfortable with a team that excels on offense doing what we don't defend well just because you think we play the same way, which we actually don't except for the initial fast break.

Their offense is way more than them just running the floor. Their offense is 3 point oriented and their style and sets appear to be set up with the plan of getting an open look for three be that in the full or half court. That's not our offense. They are just as efficient in the half court as the full court. That's not our offense. They rebound well. We are a terrible rebounding team. And while our bigs can shoot the three their bigs are "3 point shooters". Portis can nail his share on occasion but I don't want Moses, Thompson or Harris shooting the 3 (Ever).

My point was not to compare us but to say what they do and how our faults play into their strengths. Our half court offense is more pass pass pass oh crap theres 3 seconds left on the shot clock jack it up. If our up and down wear you down game is not on we are more often than not s*#t out of luck. I will say with 2 capable point guards on this years roster our half court offense should be much improved.

I agree with you brother.... it is the players that are chunking it up and can't produce that are gonna get you beat. I have been making this point today. If you can't shoot , don't.

To me I will say again, " The success of the season is going to be determined by our coaching and defense. I think the offense will take care of itself if there is a game plan."

I think the up tempo style will favor us if we can successfully press at opportune times. We have to start taking it to em on the road and beat them while making them like it. Also, I have been advocating pushing them out on the floor defensively to force longer shots, longer passes, and offensive confussion. Hey if we somehow play better defense , they won't get wide open threes unless we play a zone.

Small sample... but Moses was 1 for 2 on 3 pointers. At least he knew his limitations and was not selfish. Jury may be out on his ability there.

mhuff

November 01, 2014, 05:18:55 pm #107 Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:31:51 pm by mhuff
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on August 26, 2014, 03:50:58 pm
I agree with you we are similar as far as running the floor although that wasn't my point.  I don't see how you could be comfortable with a team that excels on offense doing what we don't defend well just because you think we play the same way, which we actually don't except for the initial fast break.

Their offense is way more than them just running the floor. Their offense is 3 point oriented and their style and sets appear to be set up with the plan of getting an open look for three be that in the full or half court. That's not our offense. They are just as efficient in the half court as the full court. That's not our offense. They rebound well. We are a terrible rebounding team. And while our bigs can shoot the three their bigs are "3 point shooters". Portis can nail his share on occasion but I don't want Moses, Thompson or Harris shooting the 3 (Ever).

My point was not to compare us but to say what they do and how our faults play into their strengths. Our half court offense is more pass pass pass oh crap theres 3 seconds left on the shot clock jack it up. If our up and down wear you down game is not on we are more often than not s*#t out of luck. I will say with 2 capable point guards on this years roster our half court offense should be much improved.

Man, you just astutely nailed all these posts; plus, I agree that our guard situation will be improved and alleviate some of the mass confusion as the clock runs down. I would add this. I think MA called time out and set up some plays for a last second shot that had some rhyme or reason to them. I don't think an intelligent coach shoots a three when a two would win the game. I think Madden just didn't execute, so something had to be thrown up. You were just basically referring to our inability to execute period instead of a last second shot. I will respond to your analysis with agreement; however, for the hundredth time, it was because he did not have the right personnel on the floor. If Portis and Kingsley had been on the floor together, it would have been a different story. We will know that this year. Otherwise , we are in for a long season. It's time to show something MA.

cy4prez7

Quote from: WarPig88 on November 01, 2014, 10:41:17 am
Every team has top scorers and rebounders. Even the crummiest programs out there have them.

If you are really claiming that Hoiberg consistently has Kane/Edjim type players on his team that he routinely is replacing, then you haven't watched ISU much over the years.

As far as that list goes, even the guy who published pointed out, it really isn't that big of a deal. If you actually look at the list, it's more of a popularity contest based on program and conference affiliations than a true measuring stick for talent.

Hoiberg has said it himself, we won't replace each with one person, we'll replace with multiple guys. Hogue will step up into the Ejim role although he won't completely fill it. Abdel Nader and Jameel McKay will help to make up for the rest. Kane is simply not replaceable because of the style he played. Monte Morris is more than capable playing point guard all game. He will have a completely different style than Kane but he will help take some of Kane's load. Clayton Custer will help to fill that void from Morris and Bryce Jones will help make up the rest of the load left from Kane.

This is only Fred's fifth year, he has reloaded each year. Not with players that play the same way, but with players that have their own style.

The big key for Iowa State is chemistry. This year's team has more talent than last year's team, but last year's team such good chemistry that it made up for any missing talent or depth.

WarPig88

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 01, 2014, 07:27:06 pm
Hoiberg has said it himself, we won't replace each with one person, we'll replace with multiple guys. Hogue will step up into the Ejim role although he won't completely fill it. Abdel Nader and Jameel McKay will help to make up for the rest. Kane is simply not replaceable because of the style he played. Monte Morris is more than capable playing point guard all game. He will have a completely different style than Kane but he will help take some of Kane's load. Clayton Custer will help to fill that void from Morris and Bryce Jones will help make up the rest of the load left from Kane.

This is only Fred's fifth year, he has reloaded each year. Not with players that play the same way, but with players that have their own style.

The big key for Iowa State is chemistry. This year's team has more talent than last year's team, but last year's team such good chemistry that it made up for any missing talent or depth.

Yours is a very good post. Thanks for the input.

I think you have a very good coach and I saw some flashes from your bench guys last season.

I just hope we can catch you before you guys put it all together.

intelligence

WarPig, do u think we can hang with ISU? I've got a mixed bag here on the subject. From what i've heard, Ames is a tough place to play

popcornhog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 01, 2014, 07:27:06 pm

Agreed on all points. And I honestly still think we can beat ISU though. We'll have a much better idea after the SMU game in Dallas on pur end.

Do you play anyone of note before we meet on Dec. 4?
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on November 02, 2014, 01:46:57 am
WarPig, do u think we can hang with ISU? I've got a mixed bag here on the subject. From what i've heard, Ames is a tough place to play

I sure hope so. I've been really looking forward to this game for a long time. I live in KC, just about 3 1/2 hours south of Ames. I scheduled meetings up there for the day after the game as soon as the schedule came out.

From everything I've read and watched, Hilton Colliseum is very much a Bud Walton type atmosphere. It'd be an awesome win.
WPS

WorfHog

November 02, 2014, 09:29:54 am #113 Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:19:41 am by WorfHog

Is it tougher than Rupp? I don't think so and our team plays up on the crowd. It's the dead 1/4 arena's of the SEC that are our kryptonite.

popcornhog

Quote from: WorfHog on November 02, 2014, 09:29:54 am
Is it tougher than Rupp? I don't think so and our team plays up on the crowd. It's the dead 1/4 arena's of the SEC that our our kryptonite.

There's some truth to that, I think.
WPS

cy4prez7

Quote from: WorfHog on November 02, 2014, 09:29:54 am
Is it tougher than Rupp? I don't think so and our team plays up on the crowd. It's the dead 1/4 arena's of the SEC that are our kryptonite.

More than likely not. The great thing about Hilton is that's it's a concrete building and the close all of the concourse doors during the game so the sounds has nowhere to go. There have been some reports of the floor and rims shaking at the end of games including last year against Iowa and Oklahoma State.

My fear is that the students won't realize how big of a game this is. People like myself, who follow basketball, understand that Arkansas is a very formidable opponent. I just fear that some of our students who don't follow it as closely don't realize that.

cy4prez7

Quote from: popcornhog on November 02, 2014, 07:34:27 am
Agreed on all points. And I honestly still think we can beat ISU though. We'll have a much better idea after the SMU game in Dallas on pur end.

Do you play anyone of note before we meet on Dec. 4?

We will play Georgia State in our second game and while I think we shouldn't have a problem that is still a tough game. Especially without McKay and our two suspended players. Then we will play Alabama and the winner of Arizona State/Maryland for the CBE classic in KC. Arkansas will be our toughest game to date though.

TomBigBeeHog

November 02, 2014, 12:28:37 pm #117 Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:12:42 pm by TomBigBeeHog
Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 02, 2014, 10:59:40 am
We will play Georgia State in our second game and while I think we shouldn't have a problem that is still a tough game. Especially without McKay and our two suspended players.

If you are expecting to have trouble with Georgia State, then we should beat you guys.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

cy4prez7

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 02, 2014, 12:28:37 pm
If you are expecting to have trouble with Georgia State, then we should beat you guys.

I'm not expecting to lose to them but they're a good team and without three major contributors it might be a little bit closer. They've got some good transfers and aren't a team to be taken lightly.

popcornhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 02, 2014, 12:28:37 pm

Dude. He didn't say that he expected trouble. Just that they were the toughest pre-Arkansas game along with the tournament at the Sprint Center.
WPS

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: popcornhog on November 02, 2014, 02:20:34 pm
Dude. He didn't say that he expected trouble. Just that they were the toughest pre-Arkansas game along with the tournament at the Sprint Center.

I know. Just good-naturedly poking fun at an upcoming opponent. Fans of opposing teams do it all the time just for fun. Smack talking is a big part of sports  and harmless if one doesn't cross the bounds of decency and respect. He didn't seem to take it too hard. Sorry you did.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Cemar_Clone on October 28, 2014, 04:15:09 pm
Ever hear of the ABC computer?  ISU invented the digital computer in 1939, long before ENIAC.

"To say that it was the first is a debate among historians of computer technology." Wikipedia

Sorta like Al Gore supposedly saying he invented the Internet.

popcornhog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 02, 2014, 04:36:25 pm
I know. Just good-naturedly poking fun at an upcoming opponent. Fans of opposing teams do it all the time just for fun. Smack talking is a big part of sports  and harmless if one doesn't cross the bounds of decency and respect. He didn't seem to take it too hard. Sorry you did.

Word.

Georgia State is a solid team though. RJ hunter is a legit nba player.

I think they were like 17-1 or 18-0 in conference last year. They just had a bad second half against ULL in the Sunbelt title game. I think they blew a double digit second half lead in that game if memory serves.

By no means a top 25 team, but certainly a top 100. Maybe 50.
WPS

cy4prez7

FWIW, Iowa State won their "secret scrimmage" against Minnesota today 103-78. I have no idea how good Minnesota will be this year but I figured I'd pass this along.

intelligence

To me Hogues is who we should be worried about. Niang will get his points but if hogues goes off were in trouble, especially if we try to double Niang

cy4prez7

Quote from: intelligence on November 02, 2014, 05:55:38 pm
To me Hogues is who we should be worried about. Niang will get his points but if hogues goes off were in trouble, especially if we try to double Niang

This is a valid point. Hogue had 16 today in the scrimmage. Bryce Jones with 19 and 9. Hogue is just sort of a wild card because we know he can score, as proven by his 32 in the Sweet 16, but we haven't seen him consistently do it or be one who we run plays for. He's been a clean up guy so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Here's a recap for anybody interested. http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/news/sources-cyclones-roll-gophers-in-secret-scrimmage/

intelligence

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 02, 2014, 05:56:52 pm
This is a valid point. Hogue had 16 today in the scrimmage. Bryce Jones with 19 and 9. Hogue is just sort of a wild card because we know he can score, as proven by his 32 in the Sweet 16, but we haven't seen him consistently do it or be one who we run plays for. He's been a clean up guy so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Here's a recap for anybody interested. http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/news/sources-cyclones-roll-gophers-in-secret-scrimmage/

I know its a valid point, because that is where we've struggled under Mike Anderson. giving up the easy offensive boards and cleanup points to blue collar types, hence my concern there. The info on Bryce Jones you provided tells me we might have to go with a bigger lineup than normal. we may be forced to trot kingsley out at 5 and slide portis up to the 4. i'm wondering if we see Williams start at 3 after his performance in the red white game, which was shocking. He's not a guy who you think of as a scorer.

On the topic of the Minnesota game, i'm a bit intrigued there. How much has that Minnesota team inproved this season? did they not lose Hollins? IIRC, we clowned them in Maui despite their redhot shooting from down town and solid rebounding. We just ran them out of the gym, and we really were'nt that good last year. We had a few good players surrounded by role players and defensive liabilities accross the board. Can you give us some insight on minnesota offensively?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 02, 2014, 05:40:34 pm
FWIW, Iowa State won their "secret scrimmage" against Minnesota today 103-78. I have no idea how good Minnesota will be this year but I figured I'd pass this along.

Either Minnesota sucks or you guys are going to win the NCAA title this year.

Btw, to the locals, would like for us to have a "secret scrimmage" against the texass shorthorns or maybe stAte. Is that possible?

cy4prez7

Quote from: intelligence on November 02, 2014, 06:07:20 pm
I know its a valid point, because that is where we've struggled under Mike Anderson. giving up the easy offensive boards and cleanup points to blue collar types, hence my concern there. The info on Bryce Jones you provided tells me we might have to go with a bigger lineup than normal. we may be forced to trot kingsley out at 5 and slide portis up to the 4. i'm wondering if we see Williams start at 3 after his performance in the red white game, which was shocking. He's not a guy who you think of as a scorer.

On the topic of the Minnesota game, i'm a bit intrigued there. How much has that Minnesota team inproved this season? did they not lose Hollins? IIRC, we clowned them in Maui despite their redhot shooting from down town and solid rebounding. We just ran them out of the gym, and we really were'nt that good last year. We had a few good players surrounded by role players and defensive liabilities accross the board. Can you give us some insight on minnesota offensively?

I really don't know anything about Minnesota. I know they're supposed to have a decent year, but other than that, that's about it.

intelligence

November 02, 2014, 06:41:43 pm #129 Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:05:36 pm by intelligence
Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 02, 2014, 06:32:08 pm
I really don't know anything about Minnesota. I know they're supposed to have a decent year, but other than that, that's about it.

Hmm.. i must research this. if they've improved much at all we may have less of a chance in Ames than i thought, especially if we struggle shooting the ball.

Edit:

So it looks like Hollins is back for his senior season, as well as Morris and Eliason, who all showed pretty well against us in Maui. They bring in 4 freshman:

6'11 Center Bakari Konate
6'9 Forward Gaston Diedhou
6'8 Forward Josh Martin
6'1 Guard Nate Mason

Not sure how good any of these players are, but on paper they look to be better than last season, a season in which they were a solid team, but maybe lacking in the athleticism needed to compete with the elite.

I can't wait til Dec 4th gets here. It will likely tell us just how good each of our teams really is. Should be an interesting matchup. But we will likely know how good we really are before then when we face SMU.

Cemar_Clone

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 02, 2014, 06:23:12 pm
Either Minnesota sucks or you guys are going to win the NCAA title this year.

From what I understand, Texas plays Gonzaga for their super secret scrimmages, they did last year and this year they are playing them in Arizona. 

The ISU scrimmage was played in Ames at the basketball practice facility (it was not in Hilton), so ISU had a little advantage playing on their own practice court.   Jameel McKay did not play as he will not be eligible until the second semester(transfer), and he won't play against Arkansas, but I predict he will be a star.  Niang only score 6 points and did not play the whole game, so he was pretty quite.  But hey, it was a scrimmage, so who knows what any of this really means.  I will also say that even though Hilton is a tough place to play, most teams that play there tend to have great shooting nights.  Some say the rims are soft, I am not sure, but lots of teams seem to shoot lights out in Ames.  We will see if the crowd can get the rims to moving for Arkansas.  This game should be fun.  Good luck in the SEC,  lets hope that both teams can put a world of hurt on these teams with U and K in their names.   

The Hogfather

Baby Lebron (Niang) only had 6 points?  They were probably tripling him.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 02, 2014, 10:59:40 am
We will play Georgia State in our second game and while I think we shouldn't have a problem that is still a tough game. Especially without McKay and our two suspended players. Then we will play Alabama and the winner of Arizona State/Maryland for the CBE classic in KC. Arkansas will be our toughest game to date though.

Ok. Did a little reading. Georgia Southern... I mean State, is pretty darn good. Should be a nice litmus test for you guys. I'll be reading the tea leaves from that game to see if I can get an early gauge on what to expect from you guys.

All jokes aside, I look  forward to this game and I think this is going to be a very entertaining test for both teams. So, I hope you guys go out and break a leg.... I mean...  well anyway. We aim to beat you in Ames. Good luck against Georgia State.

cy4prez7

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 03, 2014, 11:32:48 am
Baby Lebron (Niang) only had 6 points?  They were probably tripling him.

Played less than 20 due to the blowout.

Maybe you guys are right though. Maybe he will only be a third option. But if he is our third option, then Iowa State's in for a special year because he's still gonna be scoring 17 a game like did last year as a third option.

The Hogfather

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 04, 2014, 07:19:30 am
Played less than 20 due to the blowout.

Maybe you guys are right though. Maybe he will only be a third option. But if he is our third option, then Iowa State's in for a special year because he's still gonna be scoring 17 a game like did last year as a third option.

AT LEAST a National Championship, if not more.

rzrbkf4n

Quote from: popcornhog on August 26, 2014, 10:17:56 am
Pretty good board, knowledgeable posters. Many don't think much of us but it's clear that others have followed us and know a lot about the program and current players.

Fun fact -- Ames is a very tough place to play but Mike Anderson owns them in their building.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/forum.php

Time for some smack talk

Biggus Piggus

If you look at conference only, Iowa State last season was very average on offense and defense. Good part for us - they played at a fast tempo + hardly ever got fouled. Their offensive rebounding was weak. Their 3-point shooting was poor (less than 32%), and their perimeter defense was not very good either.

Best part of Iowa State's game was scoring in the paint + interior defense/defensive rebounding. Also good ballhandlers and passers.

Conference wins - Kansas State (home), OU (home), Oklahoma State (road), TCU (home), Texas Tech (home), Texas (home), TCU (road), West Virginia (home), Oklahoma State (home), Kansas State (B12T), Kansas (B12T), Baylor (B12T).

Conference losses - OU (road), Kansas (home), Texas (road), Kansas (road), West Virginia (road), Kansas State (road), Baylor (road).

Do you see a pattern?

ISU started 14-0 last season, closed the regular season 9-7, then won five of six in the postseason.

They were one of the shortest, least experienced teams in Division I, with a very short bench. Seniors DeAndre Kane and Melvin Ejim (B12 POY) led ISU in minutes and numerous stats.

No matter, Fred Hoiberg seems to have become the new transfer pied piper of the B12 (after Mizzou and LOL Haith left for the SEC). The Clones enjoy the added services of

SG Bryce Dejean-Jones (UNLV/USC), 6-6, 210 sr - top 100 out of high school
PF Jameel McKay (Marquette), 6-9, 215 jr - eligible at semester
PF Abdel Nader (Northern Illinois), 6-6, 230 sr - led NIU in scoring/rebounding

Athletically, Iowa State will match up just fine. Senior combo forward Dustin Hogue (6-6, 220) had a very nice season last year after coming in from Indian Hills CC. He's pretty much what we wish our dunkmaster was -- very high % finisher and strong rebounder. Georges Niang (6-8, 230 jr) is a highly skilled inside-out scorer akin to those who've murdered the Hogs in recent times, only better. PG Monte Morris out of Flint, Mich., is a good player.

ISU probably has to go small to replace McKay until he is eligible, which doesn't help them against Arkansas.

But Hoiberg is the kind of coach Mike Anderson struggles with most. Hoiberg has put in a high-efficiency offensive system that creates easy shots against ball-denial defenses + focuses on dominating the glass on the defensive end. MA needs a much better answer against that formula that we've seen.

And MA's been recruiting to find exactly that - better answers when the Hogs can't get enough stops and forced turnovers, a better offense/defense in the halfcourt, and more overall contribution from the backcourt.
[CENSORED]!

cy4prez7

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 04, 2014, 12:11:11 pm
If you look at conference only, Iowa State last season was very average on offense and defense. Good part for us - they played at a fast tempo + hardly ever got fouled. Their offensive rebounding was weak. Their 3-point shooting was poor (less than 32%), and their perimeter defense was not very good either.

Best part of Iowa State's game was scoring in the paint + interior defense/defensive rebounding. Also good ballhandlers and passers.

Conference wins - Kansas State (home), OU (home), Oklahoma State (road), TCU (home), Texas Tech (home), Texas (home), TCU (road), West Virginia (home), Oklahoma State (home), Kansas State (B12T), Kansas (B12T), Baylor (B12T).

Conference losses - OU (road), Kansas (home), Texas (road), Kansas (road), West Virginia (road), Kansas State (road), Baylor (road).

Do you see a pattern?

ISU started 14-0 last season, closed the regular season 9-7, then won five of six in the postseason.

They were one of the shortest, least experienced teams in Division I, with a very short bench. Seniors DeAndre Kane and Melvin Ejim (B12 POY) led ISU in minutes and numerous stats.

No matter, Fred Hoiberg seems to have become the new transfer pied piper of the B12 (after Mizzou and LOL Haith left for the SEC). The Clones enjoy the added services of

SG Bryce Dejean-Jones (UNLV/USC), 6-6, 210 sr - top 100 out of high school
PF Jameel McKay (Marquette), 6-9, 215 jr - eligible at semester
PF Abdel Nader (Northern Illinois), 6-6, 230 sr - led NIU in scoring/rebounding

Athletically, Iowa State will match up just fine. Senior combo forward Dustin Hogue (6-6, 220) had a very nice season last year after coming in from Indian Hills CC. He's pretty much what we wish our dunkmaster was -- very high % finisher and strong rebounder. Georges Niang (6-8, 230 jr) is a highly skilled inside-out scorer akin to those who've murdered the Hogs in recent times, only better. PG Monte Morris out of Flint, Mich., is a good player.

ISU probably has to go small to replace McKay until he is eligible, which doesn't help them against Arkansas.

But Hoiberg is the kind of coach Mike Anderson struggles with most. Hoiberg has put in a high-efficiency offensive system that creates easy shots against ball-denial defenses + focuses on dominating the glass on the defensive end. MA needs a much better answer against that formula that we've seen.

And MA's been recruiting to find exactly that - better answers when the Hogs can't get enough stops and forced turnovers, a better offense/defense in the halfcourt, and more overall contribution from the backcourt.

I agree with most of this except I felt that we were above average on offense (at least towards the end of the season) and below average on defense. We were able to clamp down defensively at times but not consistently. We do look to be a much improved defense when Jameel is in but before that it could be interesting.

WarPig88

It always is, but so is Rupp and we won there late before laying eggs at Bama and Cal.

That really is the only concern I have about our team this year. They have yet to win consistently on the road. It's a big X factor.

Thing is, we are very capable of going into Ames and winning.

Don't let the cyclone fan fool you, both of these teams have some big question marks about them but both teams can be very good depending on the answers to those questions.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 04, 2014, 02:16:48 pm
I agree with most of this except I felt that we were above average on offense (at least towards the end of the season) and below average on defense. We were able to clamp down defensively at times but not consistently. We do look to be a much improved defense when Jameel is in but before that it could be interesting.

Just going by stats. But it's kinda hard to interpret conference-only stats. In some good conferences, nobody has good conference-only stats.

Kansas had great ones. KU last season averaged 1.18 points per possession in B12 play with an effective field goal % of 55% and a monster 39% offensive rebounding rate. The Jayhawks shot 56% inside, 36% outside, got to the line a lot and made 73%.

KU was best in the B12 allowing 1.03 points per possession, which suggests either defense in the B12 sucked, or most everybody could really score.

Iowa State in B12 play averaged 1.07 points per possession, 51% effective FG%, 27% offensive rebounding, 53% inside shooting, 32% from outside, very poor getting to the line, made only 68% of free throws. On defense, ISU allowed 1.05 points per possession.

We all though Arkansas struggled to score a lot in conference games. The Hogs averaged 1.04 points per possession in the SEC, which was middle of the pack. That was 47% effective FG%, 30% offensive rebounding, 43% inside shooting (awful), 37% outside, mediocre getting to the line but shot 73%.

Arkansas allowed 1.02 points per possession, great turnover margin but horrible I mean horrible defensive rebounding and too much fouling.

If the Razorbacks are going to win any big games, they cannot have completely broken aspects of their game. Last season, defensive rebounding and inside scoring were outlier-bad. Defensive rebounding ruined the defense way too often, and MA has been pounding on this issue for months.

Last year, the inside shooting was so poor because the team had too many guys who couldn't finish. Players with terrible 2-pt shooting included Clarke, Williams, Scott, Gulley, Wade and Haydar. Even Qualls, Harris and Bell were under 50%. Can't happen again. Absolutely must change.
[CENSORED]!

cy4prez7

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 04, 2014, 07:57:24 pm
Just going by stats. But it's kinda hard to interpret conference-only stats. In some good conferences, nobody has good conference-only stats.

Kansas had great ones. KU last season averaged 1.18 points per possession in B12 play with an effective field goal % of 55% and a monster 39% offensive rebounding rate. The Jayhawks shot 56% inside, 36% outside, got to the line a lot and made 73%.

KU was best in the B12 allowing 1.03 points per possession, which suggests either defense in the B12 sucked, or most everybody could really score.

Iowa State in B12 play averaged 1.07 points per possession, 51% effective FG%, 27% offensive rebounding, 53% inside shooting, 32% from outside, very poor getting to the line, made only 68% of free throws. On defense, ISU allowed 1.05 points per possession.

We all though Arkansas struggled to score a lot in conference games. The Hogs averaged 1.04 points per possession in the SEC, which was middle of the pack. That was 47% effective FG%, 30% offensive rebounding, 43% inside shooting (awful), 37% outside, mediocre getting to the line but shot 73%.

Arkansas allowed 1.02 points per possession, great turnover margin but horrible I mean horrible defensive rebounding and too much fouling.

If the Razorbacks are going to win any big games, they cannot have completely broken aspects of their game. Last season, defensive rebounding and inside scoring were outlier-bad. Defensive rebounding ruined the defense way too often, and MA has been pounding on this issue for months.

Last year, the inside shooting was so poor because the team had too many guys who couldn't finish. Players with terrible 2-pt shooting included Clarke, Williams, Scott, Gulley, Wade and Haydar. Even Qualls, Harris and Bell were under 50%. Can't happen again. Absolutely must change.

Yeah, FTs were just frustrating all around. First, as you said we didn't get there much. This is a lot because of the way we play in the sense that we shoot a lot of threes and our "bigs" generally went around players (especially Georges) instead of through which lead to less fouls. Then when we got there, it was hit or miss.

The thing that benefits Iowa State the most (in general, not against Arkansas) is probably tempo. I think we had a very low time per possession last season. Fred doesn't like to wait around. A lot of quick shots, but generally good shots. But seeing Mike Anderson coach Mizzou, I understand that tempo won't play much of a factor in this one.

intelligence

Don't forget about dejean jones. dude was a baller at UNLV. sleeping on Iowa State is a mistake.

cy4prez7

November 05, 2014, 09:00:08 am #142 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:22:15 am by cy4prez7
Quote from: intelligence on November 04, 2014, 11:28:11 pm
Don't forget about dejean jones. dude was a baller at UNLV. sleeping on Iowa State is a mistake.

They said he looked like the best player on the court against Minnesota.

Edit: But "they" also said Will Clyburn looked like the best on the court when he was redshirting during Royce White's season so it is what it is.

The Hogfather

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 05, 2014, 09:00:08 am
They said he looked like the best player on the court against Minnesota.

Can't be true.  Niang was on the court.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

The Hogfather

cy4prez7

Well, we won by 67 last night, so you might as well crown us now!  ;) But for real, we played an exhibition against a team I had never heard of before. But damn it's fun to have basketball season back isn't it?

popcornhog

Quote from: cy4prez7 on November 08, 2014, 09:38:47 am
Well, we won by 67 last night, so you might as well crown us now!  ;) But for real, we played an exhibition against a team I had never heard of before. But damn it's fun to have basketball season back isn't it?

It is indeed. I'm headed to Arkansas Friday for the LSU football game and sticking around on Sunday for our regular season hoops opener. Can't wait.
WPS

cy4prez7

Defense showed up today against Georgia State. 81-58 final. Very balanced game across the board and assisted on 23-29 makes. Exciting basketball to watch and Hilton was rocking! Now we get 2 key players back from suspension. Here is the box score for anybody interested. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400585681

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: popcornhog on October 22, 2014, 08:02:35 pm
They were sold out by the time I got through.

I'm debating between

A) $400 1st row sideline seats

B) $300 corner around row 20

C) $50 upper level

D) Going up there without tickets and seeing what I can get

I vote a.  It would be more visible, just make sure you go decked out in razorback gear.