Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iowa State Board

Started by popcornhog, August 26, 2014, 10:17:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

Pretty good board, knowledgeable posters. Many don't think much of us but it's clear that others have followed us and know a lot about the program and current players.

Fun fact -- Ames is a very tough place to play but Mike Anderson owns them in their building.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/forum.php
WPS

sooiepig_12

I could see us playing well in Ames.  I have a theory that one of the reasons we don't play very good on the road or at neutral courts is because of the lack of energy at SEC arenas.  I feel like we might even play better at hostile environments like Rupp for instance.

-Blu

I predicted the game as a loss for us, but wouldn't be surprised if we won.  I actually went back and forth deciding, but I gave Iowa State a slight advantage since it's in their building.  Iowa State likes to play an up-tempo style, and that could be very good for us.  And as you stated Mike Anderson usually plays well against them, he usually has a good record against other teams that play an up-tempo style, there's not many teams that can keep up the pace we play at for 40 minutes.  This is the OOC game I'm most looking forward to.

popcornhog

Quote from: sooiepig_12 on August 26, 2014, 10:25:44 am
I could see us playing well in Ames.  I have a theory that one of the reasons we don't play very good on the road or at neutral courts is because of the lack of energy at SEC arenas.  I feel like we might even play better at hostile environments like Rupp for instance.

Yeah, who knows? I've got this game down as a loss but I've got ISU down as an Elite 8 team. I've got us winning 24 to 26 games this year. I love the OOC schedule -- even if we slip up in a couple if those games it'll get us early road exposure against good teams.

We have UK, UF, and ISU ALL on the road. Our toughest three games. If we can go 1-2 or 2-3 in those games we're likely going to be very good.
WPS

-Blu

I feel like we might even play better at hostile environments like Rupp for instance.

I agree with this 100%.  For some reason the more hostile and energetic the arena is, the better we play.  And for some reason empty arenas like Alabama and Texas A&M we struggle in.

The_Iceman

Agreed. Seems like we play pretty well on the road against teams with active environments, see Mizzou and Kentucky last year. Even the Vanderbilt crowd had 11,000 there. GoHogs1091's beloved Miss State team was just so bad it didn't matter. Then look at how we played for the Cal game last year in an empty arena with 2,000 there.

I would be surprised if we didn't put up a good fight there. Ejim and Kane are gone, but they do return a good group behind them.

popcornhog

Quote from: -Blu on August 26, 2014, 10:31:30 am
I predicted the game as a loss for us, but wouldn't be surprised if we won.  I actually went back and forth deciding, but I gave Iowa State a slight advantage since it's in their building.  Iowa State likes to play an up-tempo style, and that could be very good for us.  And as you stated Mike Anderson usually plays well against them, he usually has a good record against other teams that play an up-tempo style, there's not many teams that can keep up the pace we play at for 40 minutes.  This is the OOC game I'm most looking forward to.

Same here. Hotel is booked in Ames.

The only thing that could take my attention away from this game right now would be a win at AU on Saturday.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 26, 2014, 10:33:59 am
Agreed. Seems like we play pretty well on the road against teams with active environments, see Mizzou and Kentucky last year. Even the Vanderbilt crowd had 11,000 there. GoHogs1091's beloved Miss State team was just so bad it didn't matter. Then look at how we played for the Cal game last year in an empty arena with 2,000 there.

I would be surprised if we didn't put up a good fight there. Ejim and Kane are gone, but they do return a good group behind them.

Yeah, they've added a couple of juco transfers that they're pumped about and a 7'1 Greek center who currently plays for the Greek national team who can shoot spot up three balls.

It's my understanding that he will probably be a 10 minute per game max contributor as a 17 year old freshman but that's still intriguing.

Georges and Bobby will be the key matchup.
WPS

Hawg Red

To be completely fair, Mike Anderson's last year at Missouri was Hoiberg's first year at ISU. Mike went 2-0 against them that year, but ISU never had a winning record under McDermott so Hoiberg had his hands full that first year. Doesn't really matter at this point how much success Mike had against Greg McDermott in the Big 12. Blank slate.

popcornhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 26, 2014, 10:37:50 am
To be completely fair, Mike Anderson's last year at Missouri was Hoiberg's first year. Mike went 2-0 against them that year, but ISU never had a winning record under McDermott so Hoiberg had his hands full that first year. Doesn't really matter at this point how much success Mike had against Greg McDermott in the Big 12. Blank slate.

Fair point. This will be a very tough game but I'm glad we're playing it and I'm glad it's on the road.
WPS

TRUHOG718

I watched quite a lot of Iowa State last year. For those who want the quick and simple scouting report.

1.They run down the floor and shoot 3's or layup/dunk before your set up your defense.

2.All their players can shoot 3's especially the bigs.

3.Their half court offense consists of 2 things. #1 In the half court their bigs take your bigs out on the perimeter. If your bigs don't flash they shoot the 3. If your big does flash they pump fake and drive to the hoop for a floater or a layup. #2 They will pass the ball around, around, around, and will routinely catch the defense sleeping. They will pass up a good shot for a great one usually resulting in (YOU GUESSED IT) an open 3.

This game scares me because they do well what we do not counter well. Guarding the 3 point shot and playing solid d for the entirety of the shot clock. I would like to see a lot of King Moses this game. I believe his weak side defense could make a huge impact. 

TH
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

-Blu

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on August 26, 2014, 12:04:41 pm
I watched quite a lot of Iowa State last year. For those who want the quick and simple scouting report.

1.They run down the floor and shoot 3's or layup/dunk before your set up your defense.

2.All their players can shoot 3's especially the bigs.

3.Their half court offense consists of 2 things. #1 In the half court their bigs take your bigs out on the perimeter. If your bigs don't flash they shoot the 3. If your big does flash they pump fake and drive to the hoop for a floater or a layup. #2 They will pass the ball around, around, around, and will routinely catch the defense sleeping. They will pass up a good shot for a great one usually resulting in (YOU GUESSED IT) an open 3.

This game scares me because they do well what we do not counter well. Guarding the 3 point shot and playing solid d for the entirety of the shot clock. I would like to see a lot of King Moses this game. I believe his weak side defense could make a huge impact. 

TH

You realize you just basically gave a description of our team from last year right?  All 5 of our guys in the starting lineup could and would shoot the 3.  Clarke was the 4 and he frequently drew his guy out and took the 3 pointer.  We run the court and try to get a bunch of dunks and layups and catch the other teams defense sleeping as well.  Only thing we really didn't do is pass the ball effectively, and that was probably due to the lack of a PG that could distribute, but we had our moments when we had good ball movement and set guys up for really good shots.  And that's CMAs ultimate goal to be a great passing team, he says it in nearly every presser. 

I would be nervous of this game, but not for the reasons you mentioned those are actually positives for us, because we play similar style and the pace they play at is comfortable to us.  If they beat us it will be because of the home court or them just more talent and out playing us, not because their style of play was a problem.

The Hogfather

I agree with this.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on August 26, 2014, 12:17:59 pm
You realize you just basically gave a description of our team from last year right?  All 5 of our guys in the starting lineup could and would shoot the 3.  Clarke was the 4 and he frequently drew his guy out and took the 3 pointer.  We run the court and try to get a bunch of dunks and layups and catch the other teams defense sleeping as well.  Only thing we really didn't do is pass the ball effectively, and that was probably due to the lack of a PG that could distribute, but we had our moments when we had good ball movement and set guys up for really good shots.  And that's CMAs ultimate goal to be a great passing team, he says it in nearly every presser. 

I would be nervous of this game, but not for the reasons you mentioned those are actually positives for us, because we play similar style and the pace they play at is comfortable to us.  If they beat us it will be because of the home court or them just more talent and out playing us, not because their style of play was a problem.

His post, to me, read as his concern being with our ability to defend that style of offense, but your post only talks about us being a similar offensive team. That did not seem to be what his concern was.

popcornhog

Yeah, but I don't think we'll defend them well in the half court.

I predict an 88-93 type of score. Can't wait for this game.
WPS

Paul

they appear to be a well coached disciplined team

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 26, 2014, 12:33:42 pm
His post, to me, read as his concern being with our ability to defend that style of offense, but your post only talks about us being a similar offensive team. That did not seem to be what his concern was.

I get what he was saying, maybe I didn't articulate my point correctly, but I was simply saying teams that play that style of offense as he described usually plays in our favor, our guys play against a similar style all day every day in practice.  Teams that we usually struggle with are aggressive, physical, and good rebounding teams.  Teams that play fast and try to get a lot of transition points, we tend to play well against.  People think we are a poor transition defensive team because we sometimes give away layups, but that's part of our play style, more like fool's gold, you get a couple of those then you try to speed it up and do it again, and we force a couple of turnovers and steal the momentum.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on August 26, 2014, 01:08:55 pm
I get what he was saying, maybe I didn't articulate my point correctly, but I was simply saying teams that play that style of offense as he described usually plays in our favor, our guys play against a similar style all day every day in practice.  Teams that we usually struggle with are aggressive, physical, and good rebounding teams.  Teams that play fast and try to get a lot of transition points, we tend to play well against.  People think we are a poor transition defensive team because we sometimes give away layups, but that's part of our play style, more like fool's gold, you get a couple of those then you try to speed it up and do it again, and we force a couple of turnovers and steal the momentum.

Perhaps, but we've struggled to defend the 3 for the last 10 years, it seems. A good 3 point shooting team will always worry me.

HouseOfHam

You know, I have thought the same thing. We played Michigan down to the wire during Anderson's second year and that is one of the toughest arenas to play in.  Yet when we go to a place with 200 people, we usually play poorly.

GuvHog

Mentioning Rupp Arena brings up a very important point: Will this years Iowa State team be better than last years Kentucky team?? The Hogs beat Kentucky in impressive fashion at Rupp last year and this years Hogs are even better.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

popcornhog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 26, 2014, 02:01:15 pm
Mentioning Rupp Arena brings up a very important point: Will this years Iowa State team be better than last years Kentucky team?? The Hogs beat Kentucky in impressive fashion at Rupp last year and this years Hogs are even better.

GUV,

Just curious -- what do you mean when you say "impressive fashion?"

We also lost @ Bama.

We improved a lot on the road last year and will continue to do so this year in my opinion, but you're oversimplifying things.
WPS

Hawg Red

We took a noticeable step forward away from BWA last season, but we are still clearly needing to be more consistent on the road and on neutral courts.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HouseOfHam on August 26, 2014, 01:45:19 pm
You know, I have thought the same thing. We played Michigan down to the wire during Anderson's second year and that is one of the toughest arenas to play in.  Yet when we go to a place with 200 people, we usually play poorly.

Another notion to consider is how we prepare for these bigger games away from home. We tend to play better against stronger opponents once we're able to adapt to the level of competition. Look at last year's schedule as an example.

We crush some smaller programs early on, play well against a decent team like SMU, then we go to Hawaii for our first away game and Cal immediately makes us look quite inferior. We adjust to the competition level and play much better against Minnesota, but we were clearly less talented than Gonzaga. We come back home from playing three tough teams and decimate our next (cupcake) opponent in SE Lousiana. We then start to become complacent and get a decent win over Clemson (bad FT shooting and rebounding kept it close) before handily beating a stretch of five cupcakes. The very next game is our first SEC game, on the road @ TAMU, where we lose by 16 in an ugly loss.

When our team is prepared to play stronger competition, they usually rise to the challenge. But when they destroy cupcakes as a warm up to a true road test, it usually turns out to be a bad night for the Hogs.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Good points HA. If that holds true, this schedule will set up nicely for our team. It will keep them engaged mentally throughout the season, and not let them win games on talent/athleticism alone.

poloprince

Hogs will go to Ames and steal this one.  :razorback: :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

hog.goblin

easy drive too.  7 hours from Fayetteville to Ames, interstate all the way.  6 1/2 if you push it.

TRUHOG718

I agree with you we are similar as far as running the floor although that wasn't my point.  I don't see how you could be comfortable with a team that excels on offense doing what we don't defend well just because you think we play the same way, which we actually don't except for the initial fast break.

Their offense is way more than them just running the floor. Their offense is 3 point oriented and their style and sets appear to be set up with the plan of getting an open look for three be that in the full or half court. That's not our offense. They are just as efficient in the half court as the full court. That's not our offense. They rebound well. We are a terrible rebounding team. And while our bigs can shoot the three their bigs are "3 point shooters". Portis can nail his share on occasion but I don't want Moses, Thompson or Harris shooting the 3 (Ever).

My point was not to compare us but to say what they do and how our faults play into their strengths. Our half court offense is more pass pass pass oh crap theres 3 seconds left on the shot clock jack it up. If our up and down wear you down game is not on we are more often than not s*#t out of luck. I will say with 2 capable point guards on this years roster our half court offense should be much improved.

TRUHOG718

I believe the best thing we have going for us is their 2 best players are no longer there and Mckay cannot play until late December. Their prior (to Arkansas) non conference schedule will give them a false sense of hope that they are the same team. That false sense of encouragement will leave them primed to be punched in the mouth by a very good Arky before they know what hit them. That is what I'm going to try and convince myself at least.

GuvHog

Quote from: popcornhog on August 26, 2014, 02:08:25 pm
GUV,

Just curious -- what do you mean when you say "impressive fashion?"

We also lost @ Bama.

We improved a lot on the road last year and will continue to do so this year in my opinion, but you're oversimplifying things.

The Hogs basically held the lead the entire game and won by 4 at Rupp. A win at Rupp by a visiting team is impressive no matter what the margin of victory is.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

-Blu

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on August 26, 2014, 03:50:58 pm
I agree with you we are similar as far as running the floor although that wasn't my point.  I don't see how you could be comfortable with a team that excels on offense doing what we don't defend well just because you think we play the same way, which we actually don't except for the initial fast break.

Their offense is way more than them just running the floor. Their offense is 3 point oriented and their style and sets appear to be set up with the plan of getting an open look for three be that in the full or half court. That's not our offense. They are just as efficient in the half court as the full court. That's not our offense. They rebound well. We are a terrible rebounding team. And while our bigs can shoot the three their bigs are "3 point shooters". Portis can nail his share on occasion but I don't want Moses, Thompson or Harris shooting the 3 (Ever).

My point was not to compare us but to say what they do and how our faults play into their strengths. Our half court offense is more pass pass pass oh crap theres 3 seconds left on the shot clock jack it up. If our up and down wear you down game is not on we are more often than not s*#t out of luck. I will say with 2 capable point guards on this years roster our half court offense should be much improved.

My whole point is we tend to player better against teams that play up-tempo rather than teams that like to slow it down.  You can throw stats around on our rebounding and three point defense and all that, but like I said it's sometimes fool's gold with the way we play, and the stats don't tell the whole story.  Iowa State has a good offense, but we aren't scrubs on the offensive end either, we put up a lot of points, and when we're hot we can be a very streaky 3 point shooting team as well.  Iowa State is definitely the favorites, but I'll take an up-tempo fast paced game in an energetic building over our chances against a big physical, slow it down, pound it in the paint team like a South Carolina on the road any day of the week.  Mike Anderson's have always excelled against other fast paced teams.

I see your point of view, I just disagree that we should be overly worried because of style of play, or their offensive style of play.  I think it'll be a close game, and come down to who shot the ball better, and another major factor, is if the refs will let us play aggressive in our full court, if they don't that will be trouble for us.

popcornhog

Quote from: GuvHog on August 26, 2014, 09:04:18 pm
The Hogs basically held the lead the entire game and won by 4 at Rupp. A win at Rupp by a visiting team is impressive no matter what the margin of victory is.

No doubt. A victory at Rupp is always impressive.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 26, 2014, 02:38:39 pm
We took a noticeable step forward away from BWA last season, but we are still clearly needing to be more consistent on the road and on neutral courts.

We've got some big ones this year @SMU, @ISU, @UF, @UK. Let's prove ourselves. 2-2 in those games would be HUGE.
WPS

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on August 26, 2014, 10:43:03 pm
We've got some big ones this year @SMU, @ISU, @UF, @UK. Let's prove ourselves. 2-2 in those games would be HUGE.

1-3 would be huge....

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 27, 2014, 08:18:42 am
1-3 would be huge....

Huge would be an overstatement. 1-3 is what we should do -- and it would be solid.

I'm not saying we'll definitely beat SMU or that we should beat SMU -- they'll probably be favored, but we should find a way to win one of those games if we're as good as we hope to be. I've got us 1-3 in those games.
WPS

The_Iceman

Quote from: popcornhog on August 27, 2014, 09:45:30 am
Huge would be an overstatement. 1-3 is what we should do -- and it would be solid.

I'm not saying we'll definitely beat SMU or that we should beat SMU -- they'll probably be favored, but we should find a way to win one of those games if we're as good as we hope to be. I've got us 1-3 in those games.

You got road games against Larry Brown, John Calipari, Billy Donovan, and Fred Hoiberg coached teams. If you get 1 win out of those, that's doing well.

intelligence

popcorn, i'm signing up at cyclonefanatics to call u out. i really feel like you went over there and put your foot in your mouth. Iowa State is a damn good team packed full of great pieces and as much as i love the hogs, i really think this game is unwinnable unless we shoot like we did @ ole miss.

popcornhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 27, 2014, 12:52:12 pm
You got road games against Larry Brown, John Calipari, Billy Donovan, and Fred Hoiberg coached teams. If you get 1 win out of those, that's doing well.

That's what I said.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on August 27, 2014, 05:49:27 pm
popcorn, i'm signing up at cyclonefanatics to call u out. i really feel like you went over there and put your foot in your mouth. Iowa State is a damn good team packed full of great pieces and as much as i love the hogs, i really think this game is unwinnable unless we shoot like we did @ ole miss.

We could win it. I picked ISU though. Not sure how I put my foot in my mouth.
WPS

intelligence

Quote from: popcornhog on August 27, 2014, 07:06:11 pm
We could win it. I picked ISU though. Not sure how I put my foot in my mouth.

Man you did a little bit. The posters are taking subtle jabs at you and you didn't even notice it. read back over the posts where they are comparing your thread to the troll from NDSU. Read your op man, its full of rambling and run on sentences. I know you're a good dude and you meant well but i did feel like you put your foot in your mouth a little bit with your rambling but other than that i thought you repped us well.

My main problem is that you predict a high scoring affair but we all know what happens to our team on the road in a hostile environment and poor shooting. total implosion. I'm hoping and praying we've fixed that this year and we don't go to Ames and get embarrassed

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on August 27, 2014, 07:33:16 pm
Man you did a little bit. The posters are taking subtle jabs at you and you didn't even notice it. read back over the posts where they are comparing your thread to the troll from NDSU. Read your op man, its full of rambling and run on sentences. I know you're a good dude and you meant well but i did feel like you put your foot in your mouth a little bit with your rambling but other than that i thought you repped us well.

My main problem is that you predict a high scoring affair but we all know what happens to our team on the road in a hostile environment and poor shooting. total implosion. I'm hoping and praying we've fixed that this year and we don't go to Ames and get embarrassed

I've stuck through that whole thread. I believe three different people asked if the thread was going to turn into the crazy NDSU thread. Every time someone responded by saying "no."

Yeah, I rambled a bit. Mainly wanted to give a brief history, introduction, and invite some discussion about our game.

I very rarely post on other teams' boards but I'm pumped about this game and really want to know their impression. If I'm posting on an ISU board I will not post anything negative or talk darn. I'm there to learn more about their team. I'm also there to represent Arkansas.

At any rate, I do like their coach and their team. I haven't been this pumped about an OOC game in forever -- especially during open week if football season.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on August 27, 2014, 07:33:16 pm

Forgot to comment on the high scoring comment. You don't think it'll be a high scoring affair?

Last year we took a huge step in the right direction on the road, particularly with the wins at VU and UK.

This year's team now has experience playing well on the road -- just not consistently. I believe we'll take the next step this year.
WPS

intelligence

Quote from: popcornhog on August 27, 2014, 07:50:20 pm
Forgot to comment on the high scoring comment. You don't think it'll be a high scoring affair?

Last year we took a huge step in the right direction on the road, particularly with the wins at VU and UK.

This year's team now has experience playing well on the road -- just not consistently. I believe we'll take the next step this year.
It very well could be a highscoring affair. You mention how we played on the road at vanderbilt and at uk, but i feel like that might be a bit different since they are sec foes and our teams have played in their buildings before. What scares me about playing a non conference opponent on the road is what happened at Cal in the NIT. i should have been more elaborate about that.

Quote from: popcornhog on August 27, 2014, 07:39:55 pm
I've stuck through that whole thread. I believe three different people asked if the thread was going to turn into the crazy NDSU thread. Every time someone responded by saying "no."

Yeah, I rambled a bit. Mainly wanted to give a brief history, introduction, and invite some discussion about our game.

I very rarely post on other teams' boards but I'm pumped about this game and really want to know their impression. If I'm posting on an ISU board I will not post anything negative or talk darn. I'm there to learn more about their team. I'm also there to represent Arkansas.

At any rate, I do like their coach and their team. I haven't been this pumped about an OOC game in forever -- especially during open week if football season.
I will make a concession, in that you represented us about as professionally as any message board poster can on another teams forum. In reflection, maybe i was a bit to critical of you, and for that i apologize. I was probably projecting on you my experiences of living up north and being made fun of for my southern accent

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on August 27, 2014, 08:56:19 pm
It very well could be a highscoring affair. You mention how we played on the road at vanderbilt and at uk, but i feel like that might be a bit different since they are sec foes and our teams have played in their buildings before. What scares me about playing a non conference opponent on the road is what happened at Cal in the NIT. i should have been more elaborate about that.
I will make a concession, in that you represented us about as professionally as any message board poster can on another teams forum. In reflection, maybe i was a bit to critical of you, and for that i apologize. I was probably projecting on you my experiences of living up north and being made fun of for my southern accent

Yeah, I work all over the country -- primarily in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska -- I have started to lose my accent in large part but I still say y'all, even in a professional setting.

Asan aside, I have received a couple if PM's in the ISU board with invitations for drinks in December at the game. Iowans truly are friendly people. Are you thinking of going to the game?
WPS

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on August 26, 2014, 09:20:16 pm
My whole point is we tend to player better against teams that play up-tempo rather than teams that like to slow it down.  You can throw stats around on our rebounding and three point defense and all that, but like I said it's sometimes fool's gold with the way we play, and the stats don't tell the whole story.  Iowa State has a good offense, but we aren't scrubs on the offensive end either, we put up a lot of points, and when we're hot we can be a very streaky 3 point shooting team as well.  Iowa State is definitely the favorites, but I'll take an up-tempo fast paced game in an energetic building over our chances against a big physical, slow it down, pound it in the paint team like a South Carolina on the road any day of the week.  Mike Anderson's have always excelled against other fast paced teams.

I see your point of view, I just disagree that we should be overly worried because of style of play, or their offensive style of play.  I think it'll be a close game, and come down to who shot the ball better, and another major factor, is if the refs will let us play aggressive in our full court, if they don't that will be trouble for us.

I agree about the style of play comment. We are not known for running a half court offense well. Still, we have the people now to run an offense that can succeed by going inside. The whole difference to me between teams of yesteryear and now is the lack of a good defense. Under Nolan we would get out rebounded ,but we would still win the game. The points scored on TO's more than made up for the lack of defense. We are not scoring those points now and need to focus on defense, steals, and baskets scored before their defense can get back down court and set up. JMHO

Johnboy

I think you represented us great popcorn.  Stayed level headed and didn't allow the few that were being smartaxxes to get to you.

intelligence

Quote from: popcornhog on August 27, 2014, 09:05:25 pm
Yeah, I work all over the country -- primarily in Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska -- I have started to lose my accent in large part but I still say y'all, even in a professional setting.

Asan aside, I have received a couple if PM's in the ISU board with invitations for drinks in December at the game. Iowans truly are friendly people. Are you thinking of going to the game?

Barring i hit the lottery or a better job, its not financially possible that i can attend. Last game i attended was 1999 vs LSU. My pops took us. I've watched pretty much every game since though

mj4cy

Hey all,

We are looking forward to the Arkansas game as well! I think it'll be our toughest home test besides KU, Texas, and OU.

Iowa State will definitely have to play well to win, as from what I'm hearing this will be Anderson's best Arkansas team yet. I have you guys pegged to make the dance next year, and be a dark horse in the SEC.

You guys all seem to get it that Hilton is a very tough place to play. ISU has only lost 4 times there in the last 3 years (one was on a bad call that the Big 12 admitted was wrong after the fact to Kansas - still pisses me off, but I degress). Doesn't mean a game can't be stolen there, just means you have to come to play.

I have no idea how good ISU's team can be this year. It's pretty much expected to make the NCAA tournament with Hoiberg. Last year's team ended with a 5 point loss to eventual champions, UConn, and that was without our hottest player at the time in Niang. We will have 3 starters back, and return 58% of scoring, 60% of rebounding, and 58% of assists.

Returning Starters:

Georges Niang - probably our biggest name. Will be preseason All Big 12 with a chance for All American. Not the most athletic, but smoothest player I've seen play at ISU in a long time. Great passer too.

Monte Morris - broke the NCAA record last year as a true freshman for assist/turnover ratio. Will be asked to handle all of the PG duties now that Kane is gone.

Dustin Hogue - only 6'6 but was 2nd in the Big 12 in rebounding last year. Hit the national scene when he went off for 34 points against UConn in the sweet 16.

Obviously I'm bias and think ISU will win this game, but it definitely scares me. I have a lot of respect for Anderson and what he's doing against Arkansas. Hopefully it'll be a top 25 matchup when we face off. If you guys have any questions about Ames/things to do...hit me up! Also, you're all welcome at Cyclone Fanatic as well.

The Hogfather

I like Dustin Hogue.  He works hard out there.  I think Niang is a bit overrated.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how our team plays in Ames.

CallThemHawgs!

Just glad DeAndre Kane is gone...

ISU is going to be a great barometer of where we really are

popcornhog

Quote from: intelligence on August 28, 2014, 12:06:25 pm
Barring i hit the lottery or a better job, its not financially possible that i can attend. Last game i attended was 1999 vs LSU. My pops took us. I've watched pretty much every game since though

Where do you live now, anywhere near NWA? Were you a kid when your dad took you in 1999?

If memory serves, that was Stromile Swift's freshman year, right? LSU was pretty good around that time.
WPS