Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are War Eagles an endangered species?

Started by IntegrityHog, August 26, 2014, 09:42:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

IntegrityHog

'Cause if they aren't, they will be after we get done with them on Saturday!  We're gonna punch those eagles so hard in the gut, you'll be able to make a pillow out of the feathers!!!!   WPS!!!!!!   #1-0!!!!!!!!!!

SDZ_Hog

War Eagles are somewhat more rare than your common Chicken Hawk. 

On a serious note.  Auburn uses a Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos). Its not listed but is protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

1highhog

You could ask any Auburn fan and they wouldn't know what kind of Eagle they use as their #2 mascot?  They're so confused because they couldn't ever decide on just one mascot, so they thought they would just settle for two.

John Futrall

Quote from: IntegrityHog on August 26, 2014, 09:42:04 am
'Cause if they aren't, they will be after we get done with them on Saturday!  We're gonna punch those eagles so hard in the gut, you'll be able to make a pillow out of the feathers!!!!   WPS!!!!!!   #1-0!!!!!!!!!!
Early morning bourbon, I see! ;)

I hope you're right!

1highhog

Alabama is no better, Roll Tide?  What does that have to do with their mascot, which is an elephant?  You look in their stands during their shouting roll tide, you will see a wide array of fans holding up Tide washing powder boxes, and some with rolls of toilet paper, never heard of Tide toilet paper.

GuvHog

All eagles are protected. Don't believe it??? Get caught shooting one by the Authorities and see what happens to you.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Paul

sickboy

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on August 26, 2014, 10:37:50 am
War Eagles are somewhat more rare than your common Chicken Hawk. 

On a serious note.  Auburn uses a Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos). Its not listed but is protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

The Kig

Quote from: 1highhog on August 26, 2014, 12:53:05 pm
Alabama is no better, Roll Tide?  What does that have to do with their mascot, which is an elephant?  You look in their stands during their shouting roll tide, you will see a wide array of fans holding up Tide washing powder boxes, and some with rolls of toilet paper, never heard of Tide toilet paper.

Considering the storied history of Alabama football, the origins of both the Crimson Tide and elephant are fairly amusing and had little to do with any kind of selection of a fearsome mascot.  My daughter is now a Freshman there (proximity to Nashville vs. Fayetteville... long story, but Mama and daughter are happy), so I did some digging when she told me that was where she wanted to go. 

Both are the result of a descriptive term used by journalists referencing the team:

The original "Crimson" mascot/team name went to Crimson Tide following a rainy game played in the mud...something about the red clay in the area.  The elephant was something a journalist used as an adjective to embellish the effect of the team running onto the field.  Not sure that there was ever a concerted effort to find a mascot (seems like it was the early 80's before the elephant was even official) and more just something like a nickname that stuck. 

Auburn's War Eagle is more of a cheer than a mascot, but I guess turning a tiger loose in the stadium pregame isn't as safe as letting a trained bird fly to a perch. 
Poker Porker

IntegrityHog

Just to be clear, I am not advocating any actual violence against Auburn's eagle mascot.  I also did not literally mean we're going to assault people or animals by punching them in the gut.  I think we're gonna come off the line and blow 'em back, that's all.

JansterZ71

Quote from: IntegrityHog on August 26, 2014, 03:20:47 pm
Just to be clear, I am not advocating any actual violence against Auburn's eagle mascot.  I also did not literally mean we're going to assault people or animals by punching them in the gut.  I think we're gonna come off the line and blow 'em back, that's all.

Haha thanks for the clarification!
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

LAHogfan123

Quote from: The Kig on August 26, 2014, 02:12:11 pm
Considering the storied history of Alabama football, the origins of both the Crimson Tide and elephant are fairly amusing and had little to do with any kind of selection of a fearsome mascot.  My daughter is now a Freshman there (proximity to Nashville vs. Fayetteville... long story, but Mama and daughter are happy), so I did some digging when she told me that was where she wanted to go. 

Both are the result of a descriptive term used by journalists referencing the team:

The original "Crimson" mascot/team name went to Crimson Tide following a rainy game played in the mud...something about the red clay in the area.  The elephant was something a journalist used as an adjective to embellish the effect of the team running onto the field.  Not sure that there was ever a concerted effort to find a mascot (seems like it was the early 80's before the elephant was even official) and more just something like a nickname that stuck.   

Auburn's War Eagle is more of a cheer than a mascot, but I guess turning a tiger loose in the stadium pregame isn't as safe as letting a trained bird fly to a perch.

Alabama does have a big history in Football, true.  I was just pointing out how mixed up they are when it comes to their mascot, their cheer, and high it is supposed to all go together.  Same as Auburn.  You not have to let a tiger loose on the field to have a mascot, so they added and Eagle to have two Mascots?  That's why to me Arkansas, (Dang me to heck or saying this), but Nutt was at least right about this, excuse me,  :puke:  sorry, that was hard to say, but he did get it right when he said there was only one Razorback, and there is no cheer quite like the Hog Call.  When done in unison by 72,000+ fans, nothing sends chills up your spine quite like hearing that.

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: IntegrityHog on August 26, 2014, 03:20:47 pm
But what if the bird had a camera attached?

ldfergu

Rzbakfromwaybak

Somewhat puzzled.  Exactly what does Auburn call themselves these days?

Tigers?

War Eagles?

Cow Buzzards?
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LRHawg

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 27, 2014, 05:21:21 pm
Somewhat puzzled.  Exactly what does Auburn call themselves these days?

Tigers?

War Eagles?

Cow Buzzards?

Fighting Malzhans.

Phil D

GO HOGS!!!!!!

reddogjcss

War Eagel is a battle cry NOT the name of a species of bird/ eagle.

Phil D

Quote from: reddogjcss on August 27, 2014, 07:15:34 pm
War Eagel is a battle cry NOT the name of a species of bird/ eagle.

How does it relate to Tigers?
GO HOGS!!!!!!

HogFanatic

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that neither of the Alabama schools can figure out how to properly name a mascot, Harvey Updyke is from there...

Calling All Hogs

After Saturday's game Auburn's new mascot will be a rented mule. :)

Phil D

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 27, 2014, 07:30:04 pm
After Saturday's game Auburn's new mascot will be a rented mule. :)

LOL +1 :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!