Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 Auburn Game Highlights

Started by Jborohog09, August 25, 2014, 06:05:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jborohog09

Highlights of the 42-17 over Auburn in 2001, enjoy!  Was going to wait another day or two to post this, but I figured it'd be a good distraction from all the BA stuff.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ARtillahog

Thank you for that, I never got to see much of the 2001 season.

EastexHawg

August 25, 2014, 09:09:59 pm #3 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:44:35 am by EastexHawg
After the horrible 1-3 start...and the one win was a miracle against UNLV...after which we were last in the nation in total offense, the Hogs ripped off wins against ranked South Carolina, Auburn, and Ole Miss (Eli, 7th Heaven game).

Auburn was really Matt's coming out party.  Once he was inserted the offense went from abysmal to averaging 34 ppg over the last seven games.  The 1-3 start turned into 7-3 and playing LSU in Baton Rouge for the West title.

And yet, Nutt learned nothing from 2001.  He tried the two headed QB idiocy again to start 2002...with Zak Clark replaced by TJack...and let us fall to 3-3 by losing two games we should have won before just playing Jones the rest of the way.  We once again won six straight and beat LSU to go to Atlanta.

I'm not even going to insult your intelligence by suggesting that Nutt may have pulled the same stupidity a third season, with TJack replaced by Ryan Sorahan.  Oh, wait...

Locutus_of_Boar

Thanks for the memory.  That was a great game and Tubberville had an absolute hissy-fit on the sideline that day.

Hollywood_HOGan45

hawgon

I was at that game as well.  Before that Jones had been more of a spot player.  That was the first game where he got a lot of playing time.  His legend was born that day.  First pass in college football was a touchdown.  That guy could have won the Heisman if Nutt had just played him all the time.  He was like no one I've ever seen.

HogbillyinFL

That interception by Jermaine Petty is on of my favorite all time plays.

Razor6

WOW.  That was fun!

GO HOGS!  Beat Auburn!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

lefty08

I get chills watching us whip an "uninspired" auburn team everytime we do it. Right AU fans?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hollywood_HOGan45

I'm betting on another #48 having a breakout game against Auburn this saturday.

Jborohog09

Quote from: ARtillahog on August 25, 2014, 06:46:09 pm
Thank you for that, I never got to see much of the 2001 season.

Here are a few more for you then!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jborohog09 on August 26, 2014, 10:40:00 am
Here are a few more for you then!

That UNLV game was terrible.

But man, we had a solid defense back then.

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 25, 2014, 09:09:59 pm
After the horrible 1-3 start...and the one win was a miracle against UNLV...after which we were last in the nation in total offense, the Hogs ripped off wins against ranked South Carolina, Auburn, and Ole Miss (Eli, 7th Heaven game).

Auburn was really Matt's coming out party.  Once he was inserted the offense went from abysmal to averaging 34 ppg over the last seven games.  The 1-3 start turned into 7-3 and playing LSU in Baton Rouge for the West title.

And yet, Nutt learned nothing from 2001.  He tried the two headed QB idiocy again to start 2002...with Zak Clark replaced by TJack...and let us fall to 3-3 by losing two games we should have won before just playing Jones the rest of the way.  We once again won six straight and beat LSU to go to Atlanta.

I'm not even going to insult your intelligence by suggesting that Nutt may have pulled the same stupidity a third season, with TJack replaced by Ryan Sorahan.  Oh, wait...

Then in 2004, he did the same thing for a fourth straight year by starting Rojo midway through the season, right?
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Jborohog09

Quote from: MikePiazza on August 27, 2014, 12:37:51 pm
Then in 2004, he did the same thing for a fourth straight year by starting Rojo midway through the season, right?

I don't recall that happening.  I know RoJo played the last series or two in the 20-14 loss to Georgia because Matt got hurt and that he got playing time in some of the blowout games.

Fayettechill14

Yes, I would like to place an order for a Jermaine Petty to play linebacker in 2014. Thank you. Can we pick up a Lawrence Richardson to play corner and a Tony Bua to play safety? Thanks. This will be on MasterCard.

bphi11ips

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 26, 2014, 10:45:35 am
That UNLV game was terrible.

But man, we had a solid defense back then.

That was my thought.  Same one I had watching the thumping we put on Auburn in 2006.  It takes years to build a solid defense, but you can kill it in one season.  Jack Crowe killed it in the early nineties, and Petrino killed it before he left.  Bielema will rebuild it, but don't expect the D this year to look like that one.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgon

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 27, 2014, 07:10:47 pm
That was my thought.  Same one I had watching the thumping we put on Auburn in 2006.  It takes years to build a solid defense, but you can kill it in one season.  Jack Crowe killed it in the early nineties, and Petrino killed it before he left.  Bielema will rebuild it, but don't expect the D this year to look like that one.

Petrino didn't kill it, Reggie Herring did.  He  may have been the only coordinator in college football who had it in his contract that he didn't have to recruit.  Petrino was trying to build it back up.  He was responsible for that defensive line last year.

lefty08

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 07:17:12 pm
Petrino didn't kill it, Reggie Herring did.  He  may have been the only coordinator in college football who had it in his contract that he didn't have to recruit.  Petrino was trying to build it back up.  He was responsible for that defensive line last year.

NOW THAT'S FUNNY
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 07:17:12 pm

Petrino thought he was in mid-major land.

hawgon

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 27, 2014, 07:48:32 pm
Petrino thought he was in mid-major land.

Well, he recruited the best d line, I ever remember at Arkansas.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 07:51:11 pm

Maybe if you started following the Hogs in 2007.

The 2006 line was ridiculously talented...wayyyyy better than the 2011-2013 lines.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 07:51:11 pm

1) It was Caldwell that did the research and heavy lifting with the DL we have.  The guy was a great recruiter and had an eye for talent.  Great move on Petrino for hiring him but that's where the credit ends

2) your memory sucks or you are VERY young if you think the defensive line from last year was the best. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

hawgon

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on August 27, 2014, 07:58:25 pm
1) It was Caldwell that did the research and heavy lifting with the DL we have.  The guy was a great recruiter and had an eye for talent.  Great move on Petrino for hiring him but that's where the credit ends

2) your memory sucks or you are VERY young if you think the defensive line from last year was the best.

It was probably the deepest I remember.  But whatever, Petrino obviously had nothing to do with that collection of superb talent and cared absolutely nothing for defense. 

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 08:03:08 pm
It was probably the deepest I remember.  But whatever, Petrino obviously had nothing to do with that collection of superb talent and cared absolutely nothing for defense.

See? See? The defensive line didn't suck one year!!! I know that "Petrino doesn't care about defense" thing was a FARCE!!!!!!! You guys have him all wrong! He's just misunderstood!

/sarcasm

hawgon

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 27, 2014, 08:04:49 pm
See? See? The defensive line didn't suck one year!!! I know that "Petrino doesn't care about defense" thing was a FARCE!!!!!!! You guys have him all wrong! He's just misunderstood!

/sarcasm

Well quit making stuff up then.  No, Petrino was an offensive coach first, but he cared enough to recruit those monsters on the d line last year and regardless of where they rank against other Arkansas d lines, they were pretty darned salty.  So, before you accuse anyone else of having short memories, remember how pitiful the talent was that Reggie Herring left on defense.  I've never seen a team more devoid of talent on defense than the one he left was.  There was not one player on that 2008 defense who would have started on any other SEC team.  It was pathetic.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 08:08:15 pm
Well quit making stuff up then.  No, Petrino was an offensive coach first, but he cared enough to recruit those monsters on the d line last year and regardless of where they rank against other Arkansas d lines, they were pretty darned salty.  So, before you accuse anyone else of having short memories, remember how pitiful the talent was that Reggie Herring left on defense.  I've never seen a team more devoid of talent on defense than the one he left was.  There was not one player on that 2008 defense who would have started on any other SEC team.  It was pathetic.

Giving Petrino credit for "caring" about the defense enough to sign a few good defensive linemen is a ridiculously low bar. I guess that yes, technically, Petrino could have signed zero defenders and waited for walk-ons to join and fill out the defensive roster. But he in no way deserves props for doing more than that.

When we say Petrino "didn't care" about defense, we mean that hyperbolically. He failed to put in the necessary time or effort to recruit a capable defense. Giving him credit for "caring" is weak.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 08:03:08 pm

Petrino hired Steve Caldwell....that's where his credit begins and ends.  By the way, defense is made up more than one area....Nutt was rightfully grilled for recruiting imbalances that Petrino was guilty of as well. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 27, 2014, 08:15:48 pm

When we say Petrino "didn't care" about defense, we mean that hyperbolically. He failed to put in the necessary time or effort to recruit a capable defense. Giving him credit for "caring" is weak. 

and according to players, defense was not an emphasis in practice.  Everything was geared so that the offense was successful often to the detriment of the defense

Poker_hog

Is this the Fred talley game?  I wouldn't be surprised if Fred scored Saturday.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Chief Mac

Quote from: Poker_hog on August 27, 2014, 08:18:29 pm
Is this the Fred talley game?  I wouldn't be surprised if Fred scored Saturday.

that was 2002 at Auburn.  Fred and Matt ran wild!  It was my first trip to Jordan-Hare

hawgon

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 27, 2014, 08:15:48 pm
Giving Petrino credit for "caring" about the defense enough to sign a few good defensive linemen is a ridiculously low bar. I guess that yes, technically, Petrino could have signed zero defenders and waited for walk-ons to join and fill out the defensive roster. But he in no way deserves props for doing more than that.

Well, in this very thread, the people bashing Petrino about defense say "It takes years to build a solid defense".  Petrino was coach for exactly four years.  And in his first year he was left with the worst collection of defensive talent I've ever seen. 

The fact is, we really don't know what Petrino would have done on defense.  He was building the talent but as you all say, it takes years to build a good defense and he started out in the hole.  Was defense his focus.  No, but it just isn't right to say he didn't care when the fact is, he was barely here long enough to even go through complete four year recruiting cycle on defense.

I mean can we just have one thread about the current coach without bashing the last?

hawgon

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on August 27, 2014, 08:18:06 pm
and according to players, defense was not an emphasis in practice.  Everything was geared so that the offense was successful often to the detriment of the defense

And how did the opposite approach work last year?  The fact is, they have 20 hours a week.  When you run an offense that requires timing and execution to be perfect, you'll never get it down if the defense is playing balls out in practice.  It can't be done.

Maybe, if they were like an NFL team where there was unlimited time to work on everything, every area would get the same emphasis in practice.  But you have to concentrate on something. 

If we concentrate on defense, the defense will be better, but the offense will never be as crisp and as sharp as it was back then.  It can't happen.  There just isn't enough practice time.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 08:22:26 pm
Well, in this very thread, the people bashing Petrino about defense say "It takes years to build a solid defense".  Petrino was coach for exactly four years.  And in his first year he was left with the worst collection of defensive talent I've ever seen. 

The fact is, we really don't know what Petrino would have done on defense.  He was building the talent but as you all say, it takes years to build a good defense and he started out in the hole.  Was defense his focus.  No, but it just isn't right to say he didn't care when the fact is, he was barely here long enough to even go through complete four year recruiting cycle on defense.

I mean can we just have one thread about the current coach without bashing the last?

He did start in a hole, and that's Reggie Herring's fault. Herring wasn't a bad gameplanner, but he was an awful recruiter. But even though Petrino improved the defense over his first few seasons (best was 2010), who did he do it with? Jerry Franklin and Jake Bequette were already on the roster. Those were the two best defensive players of the Petrino era. Then Bequette, Franklin, and Jericho Nelson graduated after the 2011 season, so we don't know what the 2012 defense would have looked like.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 08:25:47 pm
And how did the opposite approach work last year?  The fact is, they have 20 hours a week.  When you run an offense that requires timing and execution to be perfect, you'll never get it down if the defense is playing balls out in practice.  It can't be done.

Maybe, if they were like an NFL team where there was unlimited time to work on everything, every area would get the same emphasis in practice.  But you have to concentrate on something. 

If we concentrate on defense, the defense will be better, but the offense will never be as crisp and as sharp as it was back then.  It can't happen.  There just isn't enough practice time.

I get what you're saying, but I doubt that. I think practice time can be efficient enough to benefit both units. We might be a better team overall if the offense is 10% less efficient but the defense is 25% more efficient, to use arbitrary figures.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 08:22:26 pm

First, this thread is about the 2001 Auburn game.  It ain't about the current coach.

Second, Marcus Harrison was a DT in 2008 selected in the third round by the Chicago Bears. 

Third, exactly one Bobby Petrino defensive recruit has been selected in the NFL draft - Chris Smith.  He's had 10 offensive recruits selected. 

hawgon

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 27, 2014, 08:30:37 pm
I get what you're saying, but I doubt that. I think practice time can be efficient enough to benefit both units. We might be a better team overall if the offense is 10% less efficient but the defense is 25% more efficient, to use arbitrary figures.

Sure, that is possible, but you have to pick your poison and go with it.  The old saying about war applies to most other things as well, "He who defends everywhere defends nowhere."  You can't be equally good at everything.

You want to know the genius of Malzahn and his system?  You want to know why all the colleges are going to it?  Because the offense is so danged simple, they can put it in in a day and the kids will be understanding it well in hours.  Then the rest of the time is spent on practice and execution, NOT learning the offense.  That is it.  That is why it is the way of the future as long as teams are restricted to twenty hours or less.

We have coaches and media saying that our current offense is so complex that it takes four years for the team to completely get it.  Really?  I really doubt that, but if it is the case, we might as well start looking for another coach now because this experiment isn't going to work.

hawgon

QuoteSecond, Marcus Harrison was a DT in 2008 selected in the third round by the Chicago Bears.

Marcus Harrison was drafted in the third round in the 2008 draft, WHICH MEANS he did not play at Arkansas in 2008.

EastexHawg

The object of the game is to win.  Period.   It's not to win with defense, to win with a great running game, or to win with a prolific passing attack.  It is simply to have more points on the board than the opponent when the final gun sounds.

Hoggish1

I'm looking for about the same result Saturday... WPS!

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawgon on August 27, 2014, 08:43:36 pm
Marcus Harrison was drafted in the third round in the 2008 draft, WHICH MEANS he did not play at Arkansas in 2008.

Touche.