Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is everybody cooking this weekend for the game?

Started by troyer37, August 25, 2014, 10:04:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

troyer37

I have been thinking about smoking something for the game this weekend. Anybody recommend any good recipes for smoking? Go Hogs!

Großer Kriegschwein

Would love to smoke a boston butt. However, I think I'm gonna shy away from cooking any pork until we have a winning record.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogcard1964

Anybody

I am cooking up a Razorback victory !   

GO HOGS !!!

troyer37

PorkRinds

Großer Kriegschwein

Well I guess I can scratch that superstition off the board. Still not gonna drive by a hearse or skip black-eye peas and hogjaw on New Years Day.

Pickwick Hog

Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hawgwild child

Keg and whatever me and my cheap college roomates can find. Probably just burgers and dogd

Torqued pork

troyer37

cutehog48

The_Iceman

PorkRinds

Quote from: cutehog48 on August 25, 2014, 12:24:50 pm
Best recipe for pork butt?

cover in yellow mustard, cake on the rub of your choice, smoke low and slow at around 225-250 until it reaches 195 degrees.  Wrap in foil and an old towel, place in cooler for one hour.  Then remove, pull, and enjoy.  Easy peasy.  If you wanna get fancy inject it with some apple juice or whatever you wish.

popcornhog

Quote from: hawgwild child on August 25, 2014, 10:33:01 am
Keg and whatever me and my cheap college roomates can find. Probably just burgers and dogd

Are you planning on partaking in the "student club" seats this year? I'm interested to hear more about it.
WPS

troyer37

Pork Rinds I appreciate the Recipe I am going to give this one a shot this weekend. I am also smoking a beer can chicken!

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

010HogFan

PorkRinds

Quote from: troyer37 on August 25, 2014, 01:21:10 pm
Pork Rinds I appreciate the Recipe I am going to give this one a shot this weekend. I am also smoking a beer can chicken!

No problem.  Don't get discouraged on the pork butt.  It will hit about 165-170 or so and stall for a good couple of hours. This  is called "the wall" in some circles.  Just keep at it.  Your patience will be rewarded.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Suidae

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 25, 2014, 02:16:57 pm
No problem.  Don't get discouraged on the pork butt.  It will hit about 165-170 or so and stall for a good couple of hours. This  is called "the wall" in some circles.  Just keep at it.  Your patience will be rewarded.

The sweat point sucks don't it?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 25, 2014, 02:28:07 pm
The sweat point sucks don't it?

So bad.  I'm a fiddler too, and it's so darn hard for me to just watch it stall and do nothing.  But I do, and I reap the benefits of said decision.

troyer37

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 25, 2014, 02:29:42 pm
So bad.  I'm a fiddler too, and it's so darn hard for me to just watch it stall and do nothing.  But I do, and I reap the benefits of said decision.

I just soak it in apple juice for about 2 hours, rub it with (paprika, black pepper, brown sugar, onion powder), make a bowl of foil & poke some holes in it, emplace the butt, dump a bunch of dehydrated onion on the top, emplace in smoke at 215 degrees (smoke is cherry & pecan shells soaked in apple cider vinegar), let it go for 3 hours. Remove to the oven at 215 and wait for it....wait for it..... pull at 190 after cool.

Mix with some of my low country Carolina BBQ sauce. Top sammich with PP, cole slaw and some smoked ssaaassage....Retreat to a chair that reclines. Pop the top on some ice tea. Watch football.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: troyer37 on August 25, 2014, 02:41:55 pm
3 lbs. Three hours? Or longer?

1.5 hours per pound (give or take at 215 until it reaches at least 190)

razorbackkid

Quote from: troyer37 on August 25, 2014, 02:41:55 pm
3 lbs. Three hours? Or longer?
It'd take Auburn's whole team and water bongs..I mean water boys...to smoke that much in 3 hours.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PeabodyHawg

I'm smoking 3 racks of ribs and a Boston Butt.  Putting everything on about 4:00am for an 8-9 hour smoke. 

Brats, hot dogs (for the kids and wussies), burgers, and corn will go on the grill about noon.

Everything should be ready for guest to devour pregame.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Razorbax

Quote from: PeabodyHawg on August 25, 2014, 03:09:22 pm
I'm smoking 3 racks of ribs and a Boston Butt.  Putting everything on about 4:00am for an 8-9 hour smoke. 

Brats, hot dogs (for the kids and wussies), burgers, and corn will go on the grill about noon.

Everything should be ready for guest to devour pregame.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
8 to 9 hour of smoke for ribs? I prefer 3-2-1 method. Dry rubbed the night before....Re-dry rubbed right before smoking. All wood with Peach/Pecan/Hickory mix. 3 hours of smoke at 210~230, 2 hours with the texas crutch (butter/margarine, brown sugar, beef stock, apple juice and some more of the dry rub) and finished on grill with glaze (Pineapple juice, brown sugar, cayenne  and soy sauce).

jcharkansas

I usually smoke a rack of baby back ribs on game day but it's gonna be so hot I'll probably just make some indoor game food. Like sausage balls and chips and salsa, I really love some smoked lunch meat too. Best place imo to get that is courseys in St joe

PeabodyHawg

Quote from: Razorbax on August 25, 2014, 03:23:34 pm
8 to 9 hour of smoke for ribs? I prefer 3-2-1 method. Dry rubbed the night before....Re-dry rubbed right before smoking. All wood with Peach/Pecan/Hickory mix. 3 hours of smoke at 210~230, 2 hours with the texas crutch (butter/margarine, brown sugar, beef stock, apple juice and some more of the dry rub) and finished on grill with glaze (Pineapple juice, brown sugar, cayenne  and soy sauce).
Errbody has their own method.  Your's sounds pretty good.  I'll have to try it sometime. 

I have a covered pit that was built to have an offset smoke box that I can adjust the amount of heat going to it.  This is where the ribs will smoke.  They will have the heat turned way down the last couple of hours.

The butt will stay on the middle rack in the main area of the pit.  I'll use a ~4 lb butt and smoke at 210-215 for 1.5-2 hrs per pound.

arkhogball

Whatever I can grab in the Magic Kingdom while I sit and watch the game on my WatchESPN app.

Calvin Swine

Baby back ribs or pork tenderloin on the Big Green Egg.  Then, probably some apple cobbler & vanilla ice cream to round it out.  *drool*

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PeabodyHawg on August 25, 2014, 03:34:24 pm
Errbody has their own method.  Your's sounds pretty good.  I'll have to try it sometime. 

I have a covered pit that was built to have an offset smoke box that I can adjust the amount of heat going to it.  This is where the ribs will smoke.  They will have the heat turned way down the last couple of hours.

The butt will stay on the middle rack in the main area of the pit.  I'll use a ~4 lb butt and smoke at 210-215 for 1.5-2 hrs per pound.

I have to mention deep fried ribs. Freakin pork chop smellin, spiced tastin, deep fried love.

Cut em apart after you pull the membrane. (deep fry the rib tips for the youngins). Put em in the bag and liberally cover in whatever spice you like (Tony's, Cavenders, ect...) Oil up to 300 degrees and drop them in 3 or 4 at a time. Check the ribs every couple minutes and watch them shrink back off the bone. Once done, drop em on newspaper to drain and start diggin in after they are cool enough to handle. Freakin phenominal.

Crispy pork chop-like fat is delicious.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 25, 2014, 03:40:18 pm
I have to mention deep fried ribs. Freakin pork chop smellin, spiced tastin, deep fried love.

Cut em apart after you pull the membrane. (deep fry the rib tips for the youngins). Put em in the bag and liberally cover in whatever spice you like (Tony's, Cavenders, ect...) Oil up to 300 degrees and drop them in 3 or 4 at a time. Check the ribs every couple minutes and watch them shrink back off the bone. Once done, drop em on newspaper to drain and start diggin in after they are cool enough to handle. Freakin phenominal.

Crispy pork chop-like fat is delicious.
You should really stop this.  I'm about to kill my son's pet pig.

troyer37

I really appreciate everybodys replies. I will definelty be trying some of these as I like to cook and try new methods of smoking and rubs. Cobler and ice cream sounds pretty good to wash everything down. And a cold beer of course.

RT1941

RazorTusk!!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: troyer37 on August 25, 2014, 03:46:54 pm
I really appreciate everybodys replies. I will definelty be trying some of these as I like to cook and try new methods of smoking and rubs. Cobler and ice cream sounds pretty good to wash everything down. And a cold beer of course.

Don't drink much anymore. Baby twins will do that. I think maybe some crawfish would be nice. Haven't partaken in any of these supposedly fine Weezyanna crawfish in the year I've lived here.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RT1941 on August 25, 2014, 03:49:21 pm
Crawfish are out of season - where are you getting yours?

They will be frozen. Ordering them from a place in Louisiana that delivers.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2014, 03:51:41 pm

No offense, but that sounds nasty.

bp

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2014, 03:51:41 pm

Well that blew my plan. Oh well..

M L (bassplayer)

Razorbax

Quote from: PeabodyHawg on August 25, 2014, 03:34:24 pm

Absolutely....I would never tell another man how to cook what they like....Different strokes......

Wayne Watson

Grilled duck with leg of lamb, fresh grilled corn and sparrow guts.  Peach cobbler and ice cream.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

jacobp

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HogFanatic

Not sure what all is going to be served at our watch party, but my additions will be some crab and colby filled jalapeno poppers (delicious) and some smoked chicken with my special cherry chipotle barbeque sauce.

ETA: The dadgum beer drink is still up in the air. I may not be able to get drunk this Saturday. If so, that will be the first game in several years I have watched without drinking beer. ... I may get cranky. Haha

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?