Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When was the last time we won as a 20 pt + underdog?

Started by Nipsey Mussle, August 24, 2014, 06:39:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipsey Mussle

Anyone have an idea of when that was? That's what it would take to beat Auburn (unless the spread goes down between now and then). I like our chances to cover a 20+ spread and will likely bet it if it stays around that area. I don't like our chances to win but anything can happen the first week of the season.

trashcan maN

boaron

I'd be willing to risk some on the Hogs with that spread if I had a bookie.  That's too many points IMO.

moses_007

The 2000 Cotton Bowl against Texas.  Arkansas wasn't expected to even show up, and we whipped their a$$es goooooooooooooood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj5yrlNE4D8

Hawgey-Davidson

I'm betting the farm on the Hogs! Beats the odds of winning the lottery. Can't wait for Saturday! GHG!! 1-0!

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: moses_007 on August 24, 2014, 07:09:28 pm
The 2000 Cotton Bowl against Texas.  Arkansas wasn't expected to even show up, and we whipped their a$$es goooooooooooooood.

Awesome game, I was there.

I believe that as like a 9 point spread though. Definitely not 20.

Can't open the video, I'm on a plane. Internet can't stream videos. Does the video say it was a 20 pt spread?
WPS

onebadrubi

So let me get this right.  If you want to bet that the hogs win or keep it under 20 you take the hogs and the points?  Is that how you make that bet?

lefty08

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 24, 2014, 07:25:27 pm
So let me get this right.  If you want to bet that the hogs win or keep it under 20 you take the hogs and the points?  Is that how you make that bet?

If u are betting the spread and you take the hogs, essentially the game start 20-0 arkansas. Thats correct
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Locutus_of_Boar

Arkansas was an 18 point underdog to Oklahoma in the 78 Orange Bowl.

HF#1

That spread is a setup...  Lots of folks will lose money on this game.  Smart folks will take Arkansas and the points.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lefty08

I haven't done any research, but to be honest with you, i would think the last time we were that big of an underdog was a long, long time ago, regardless of win or loss
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: moses_007 on August 24, 2014, 07:09:28 pm

If our defense could play even close to this well against the Tigers, we'd cover the spread and maybe even contend for the win.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

fakebobholt

Vegas for the most part get it right or very close most of the time. I dont think its an indictment on what they think about us but more on how good they will be. If we dont keep their backup qb in check (marshall) it will be a long game. I think we easily cover but I quit betting on the hogs YEARS ago.

HogFanatic

Quote from: lefty08 on August 24, 2014, 07:46:18 pm
I haven't done any research, but to be honest with you, i would think the last time we were that big of an underdog was a long, long time ago, regardless of win or loss

I'm pretty sure we were at LEAST a 20 point dog last season to Alabama.

Also, I agree that the line is a setup. No way the Hogs lose by three touchdowns

lefty08

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 24, 2014, 07:50:10 pm
Vegas for the most part get it right or very close most of the time. I dont think its an indictment on what they think about us but more on how good they will be. If we dont keep their backup qb in check (marshall) it will be a long game. I think we easily cover but I quit betting on the hogs YEARS ago.

about the same time you quit cheering for them?

HogFanatic

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 24, 2014, 07:50:10 pm

Vegas is wrong plenty of times every year. They probably have an even worse track record in the first few weeks of the season. Just like everyone else they are going off of last year's performance and cannot follow each and every team during the off season to determine an accurate picture of how teams are going to play in week one.

Moreover, the lines are just set up a certain way to get money moving. If they came out and said Auburn is going to win by 100 points, nobody would take Auburn...

lefty08

I should apologize FakeBobHolt, that was maybe a little harsh. Just thought sattire accounts should be funny and not just gloomy

Hawgey-Davidson

Yeah, its a money line. Be interesting to watch this line move as the days get closer to kick off. If I was a betting man, I would get on it NOW. You can bet your bibby that close to kick off (again where money line moves) that your not gonna get 18-20 pt line on Hogs. Hell, it might even go off the board. My .02 cents.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on August 24, 2014, 08:13:06 pm
Yeah, its a money line. Be interesting to watch this line move as the days get closer to kick off. If I was a betting man, I would get on it NOW. You can bet your bibby that close to kick off (again where money line moves) that your not gonna get 18-20 pt line on Hogs. Hell, it might even go off the board. My .02 cents.

It actually MAY go off the board. The line itself won't move much more. What they will do as it gets closer to kickoff, if everyone starts picking the Hogs, is they will just remove the option to bet it at all. The line itself will probably only move another 2 or 3 points MAXIMUM.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on August 24, 2014, 08:13:06 pm
Disclaimer- For entertainment purposes only. Carry on.

jgphillips3

August 24, 2014, 08:55:46 pm #22 Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:14:38 pm by jgphillips3
I'm thinking Auburn by 14-17 at worst.  Auburn is not going to cover that 20 point spread.

alwaysnextyear

Auburn is gonna come out guns blazing. You all are setting yourselves up for a major disappointment. This would be the biggest upset in my lifetime.

HF#1

If Auburn can cover that spread with their defense, I'm not sure Bielema will be allowed the time it will take to get us back to where we should be.  I firmly believe we aren't that bad of a football team.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pigdiana Jones

Why can't we go back to those traditional uniforms like they had back then.... I don't like the new style.

Also, I wish we could get back to a defense like that in that cotton bowl. That is a defense to be proud of!

I also forgot how good and how fast Cobbs was!
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Hogwild

The last game we played LSU was 24.5 point favorite.

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

lefty08

Quote from: Hogwild on August 24, 2014, 09:48:53 pm

Last year?  No kidding?  Guess I stand corrected.  Thats pretty amazing

mckinneyhog5

Ive already put a nickel (if you know what I mean) on the hogs +21.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 24, 2014, 06:40:29 pm
2007 LSU game?
I see below someone says that was 13.5. I was born in '81, that may be the biggest spread we've beaten in my lifetime. Incredible game

Nipsey Mussle

I would think USC was a bigger favorite than 20 against us, or no?

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: Hogwild on August 24, 2014, 09:48:53 pm

That's awesome.  That's the last game we played.  We looked pretty good.  Not only did we cover the spread, but we should've won that game! 

RazorFlix

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 24, 2014, 07:52:50 pm
Vegas is wrong plenty of times every year. They probably have an even worse track record in the first few weeks of the season. Just like everyone else they are going off of last year's performance and cannot follow each and every team during the off season to determine an accurate picture of how teams are going to play in week one.

Moreover, the lines are just set up a certain way to get money moving. If they came out and said Auburn is going to win by 100 points, nobody would take Auburn...

If you think Vegas doesn't follow each and every news bit, injury status, etc you are sadly mistaken.  Do you realize how much money is at stake for each game?  They have people researching this stuff just like hedge funds have financial wiz analysts.

onebadrubi

Anyone taking te over at 57.5 points?  I would think it would take over 30 to win the game, maybe even high 30's.  I don't see a 28-17 type game.

hoghappy

It all depends on our defense. If we are improved, we should hold them to around 24. I say we cover that line.

alohawg

If Auburn covers easily, the pitchforks will be drawn and all of the patience talk will cease. Hogs are not that far below these guys.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Modsquad24

Everyone acts like its so far fetched that we are picked to lose by 21....well didn't we lose by 18 to them at home just last yr?

Hogsnort

Arkansas was a 15 point underdog going into the game against Auburn in 2006. The Razorbacks won 27-10.

PorkSoda

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 24, 2014, 06:40:29 pm
2007 LSU game?
sounds about the last time we beat any spread.

Hogs are too damn unpredictable when it comes to spreads.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Iwastherein1969

August 25, 2014, 05:51:33 am #41 Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:03:55 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on August 24, 2014, 07:42:32 pm
Arkansas was an 18 point underdog to Oklahoma in the 78 Orange Bowl.
this is what most people think...but the ARK  +18 is not quite the total truth, yes the line opened at ARK +18 but money poured in on OU...Las Vegas was taking bets and the line went even as high as 27 at some book makers (this happened when rumors surfaced when, as a show of solidarity with Cowins, Forrest and Bobo, fellow African Americans on the team were not going to play).... soon after word of a potential boycott along with threatened litigation by famed Little Rock Civil Rights attorney John Walker of Little Rock, is when the point spread soared into the mid 20's...and at that point, the Orange Bowl was taken off the board and no more betting was allowed by bookmakers in the state of Nevada...the final line was actually around 25 before Las Vegas would take no more money on the game
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

LZH

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 25, 2014, 05:51:33 am
this is what most people think...but the ARK  +18 is not quite the total truth, yes the line opened at ARK +18 but money poured in on OU...Las Vegas was taking bets and the line went even as high as 27 at some book makers....at that point, the Orange Bowl was taken off the board and no more betting was allowed by bookmakers in the state of Nevada...the final line was actually around 25 before Las Vegas would take no more money on the game

Yeah there was a link on here not long ago to an article that said the same thing....I think it was 24 points by kickoff.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: LZH on August 25, 2014, 05:53:37 am
Yeah there was a link on here not long ago to an article that said the same thing....I think it was 24 points by kickoff.
the reason I remember this so well is that Razorback fans, after the game, were streaming out of the Orange Bowl were chanting, "Give OU twenty five points, we'll still play them".....I was 16 at the time and attended the game with my parents and my most vivid memory was how quiet Sooner fans were after the game....drunk Hog fans gave them more than a little hell, still, the Sooner fans were way more concerned with getting out of the ghetto that the Orange Bowl sat in than arguing with Hog fans
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The Kig

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 25, 2014, 05:51:33 am
this is what most people think...but the ARK  +18 is not quite the total truth, yes the line opened at ARK +18 but money poured in on OU...Las Vegas was taking bets and the line went even as high as 27 at some book makers (this happened when rumors surfaced when, as a show of solidarity with Cowins, Forrest and Bobo, fellow African Americans on the team were not going to play).... soon after word of a potential boycott along with threatened litigation by famed Little Rock Civil Rights attorney John Walker of Little Rock, is when the point spread soared into the mid 20's...and at that point, the Orange Bowl was taken off the board and no more betting was allowed by bookmakers in the state of Nevada...the final line was actually around 25 before Las Vegas would take no more money on the game

Vegas cleaned house by taking that game off the board.  The main goal they have with with any game is to get half the money on each side of the game and their margin is the juice.  They take a game down when they feel exposed on one side, especially where moving the line that much doesn't change the action.

Make no mistake, they celebrate these big hauls, but are nervous as mice in a cat store till its over.  Most bookies I have talked to don't truly care whether you win or lose, they just want balanced action... Even to the point of laying off on another "partner" to keep it even. 
Poker Porker

lefty08

Quote from: The Kig on August 25, 2014, 06:24:55 am
Vegas cleaned house by taking that game off the board.  The main goal they have with with any game is to get half the money on each side of the game and their margin is the juice.  They take a game down when they feel exposed on one side, especially where moving the line that much doesn't change the action.

Make no mistake, they celebrate these big hauls, but are nervous as mice in a cat store till its over.  Most bookies I have talked to don't truly care whether you win or lose, they just want balanced action... Even to the point of laying off on another "partner" to keep it even.

Its true, vegas numbers are more about what the public thinks will happen, not their experts

Biggus Piggus

This is a unique situation, because Arkansas has never begun a season as a 20+ point underdog.

All the point spread on this game shows is how many people wanted to bet on Auburn. The line is set at the level necessary to balance the bets. Vegas is taking advantage of the willingness of Auburn fans to overpay.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 25, 2014, 07:25:15 am
All the point spread on this game shows is how many people wanted to bet on Auburn. The line is set at the level necessary to balance the bets.

Way too few people understand this concept.

The Hogfather

Quote from: lefty08 on August 25, 2014, 06:29:09 am
Its true, vegas numbers are more about what the public thinks will happen, not their experts

Precisely.