Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The smallish tilted nose guard

Started by JIHawg, August 24, 2014, 11:28:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

I'm trying to get comfortable with this notion of the small nose guard.  I found this link where coaches discuss it, and found it informative.

http://ft003386.fusetalkcommunity.com/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=17&threadid=1461

The tilted nose is a great way to force a double team. We like to tilt our nose to the centers snap hand on passing downs. We do that because we feel that the center cannot get his snap hand up quick enough to grap the nose.
Advantages of the Tilt
Can crowd the ball (Be off-sides, they never call it)
Get better pass rush to snap hand
Quick read by reading guard you are tilted to
Can play small quick kid there

k.c.hawg

The huge nose has ruled for the last 15-20 years but I would love to have a Tony Cherico!! That guy was one of my all time favorite Hogs!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

onebadrubi

I'm right there with you trying to understand it.  I'm thinking maybe it's to help hide a defenciency, help with LB run support, as well as put flowers and the other DE's on TE's instead of Tackles, which could equal major QB pressure

Phil D

Mean joe Greene played tilted nose, Just saying lol :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

The NewEra

This video (although the quality isn't great) may help us understand better the value of the tilted flex nose guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeKiTNJuS68

CokeHog

Good stuff.

I also liked this observation:

"Against a team that uses misdirection and pulling/trapping guards you are going to get some things accomplished with the aggressive tilted nose.

He will disrupt the pulling guards with penetration. If the opposite guard is pulling the Nose should blow it up with some penetration. While facing him in the tilt position he should have an easy read if he is pulling.

If the guard you are partially covering is pulling, the nose should disrupt that or follow down the line to close the cutback lane."

Hmm.
Go Hogs!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: JIHawg on August 24, 2014, 11:28:51 am
I'm trying to get comfortable with this notion of the small nose guard.  I found this link where coaches discuss it, and found it informative.

http://ft003386.fusetalkcommunity.com/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=17&threadid=1461

The tilted nose is a great way to force a double team. We like to tilt our nose to the centers snap hand on passing downs. We do that because we feel that the center cannot get his snap hand up quick enough to grap the nose.
Advantages of the Tilt
Can crowd the ball (Be off-sides, they never call it)
Get better pass rush to snap hand
Quick read by reading guard you are tilted to
Can play small quick kid there

1st tried by Coach Doman of the White Hall intramural pee wee "Cowboys" in 1982. Djhit Djhat Kidkul pronounced ChitChat Kid Cool caused 37 fumbles in a 6 game season. The Cowboys, lead by Cedric Sprinkle at RB and Free Safety gave up 0 points in a run to 6-0...  Proven stratagy..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Piggfoot

As a 165 pound highschool 1963-4 nose guard that is exactly the way I played. At that time we didnt have a name for it and ran a five man front. It was ok as long as i wasnt outweighed by fifty pounds but seventy five was a killer esp when both guards and centers weighed that much.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Razordiddy

Here is an article about Tampa Bay's use of the tilted nose tackle. Looks like Robb Smith learned it in Tampa under Schiano. Apparently Tony Dungy ran it in Tampa even before Schiano got there. Pretty interesting...

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/5/4/4290148/the-4-3-tilted-nose-tackle-history-scheme-and-the-buccaneers