Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm VERY Impressed With Many of The Comments From K.J. Hill's Family In Today's ARDEMGAZ Concerning

Started by Vantage 8 dude, August 24, 2014, 09:12:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

While I have no idea whether or not this extremely talented young man will eventually choose Arkansas as his college destination, one HAS to be impressed by RD's column in today's ARDEMGAZ concerning his family's reaction to the approach the Razorback staff is taking to his recruitment. For anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to read the comments from K.J.'s step dad and mom it's really an eye opening piece.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

WOW... I can find nothing other than 3-9 that anyone can truly complain about with CBB. And that, it appears, was bound to happen after CBP and CS final two years on the hill... Complaints regarding the tweeting, the cussing those are simply nitwits picking nits.  I can only sit back and watch with bated breath as this season unfolds before us...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Ā 

bphi11ips

KJ Hill is the most important recruit in this year's class and probably the most important in-state recruit since D-Mac, not as much for his athleticism and the need at WR, but because of the message his choice will send.  Is Arkansas the state's team or is that era over?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 24, 2014, 09:32:55 am
KJ Hill is the most important recruit in this year's class and probably the most important in-state recruit since D-Mac, not as much for his athleticism and the need at WR, but because of the message his choice will send.  Is Arkansas the state's team or is that era over?
Despite their recent struggles, I don't think one needs to really question whether or not the Hogs remain the state's main team. IMO there's little doubt they'll remain so.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 24, 2014, 09:36:39 am
Despite their recent struggles, I don't think one needs to really question whether or not the Hogs remain the state's main team. IMO there's little doubt they'll remain so.

Think you misread his intent. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

onebadrubi

Glad I read this before the edit, but can understand why it was edited! 

Great to here, but soo many will find fault in Bielema

Vantage 8 dude

hogs24

Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 24, 2014, 10:20:10 am
Well perhaps I did; however, I'm not sure how else to interpret.

The culture of the fanbase appears to be trending away from statewide support.  That trend has been evident in recent years as the highest profile players in central Arkansas have gone out of state. 

Hawgey-Davidson

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on August 24, 2014, 10:39:22 am
Can this article be linked? Against the rules of this board? Just asking. Thx
I made the mistake of including a number of the quotes from the article in my original post. RD corrected me and pointed out, rightfully, that this is pay information that I should NOT have reprinted. However, he was kind enough to edit and leave a portion of my comments for this post.

I suppose one could certainly go to the ArDemGaz website and obtain the full article. 

JIHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 24, 2014, 10:28:34 am
The culture of the fanbase appears to be trending away from statewide support.  That trend has been evident in recent years as the highest profile players in central Arkansas have gone out of state. 

With the Petrino and John L. disasters, and with Bama winning NC's, it doesn't surprise me that we would lose two recruits to them.  In the last four years, are there any others?  I wouldn't exactly call this a trend.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: JIHawg on August 24, 2014, 11:06:42 am
With the Petrino and John L. disasters, and with Bama winning NC's, it doesn't surprise me that we would lose two recruits to them.  In the last four years, are there any others?  I wouldn't exactly call this a trend.
Ditto.  And Josh Frazier was from NWA.  IMHO it has been worse in Basketball with Griffin(Goodwin) and Allen leaving.  And I like and support CMA.  It just takes a while to rebuild connections.  That is why we got Jimmy Whitt and lost Allen.  Connections.

Ā 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 24, 2014, 10:20:10 am
Well perhaps I did; however, I'm not sure how else to interpret.

The UofA is still by far and away the state team as far as the fans go however that doesn't mean we get every top instate player we go after.  We've lost out on the Frazier kid from Springdale last year to bama.  Not sure if we lost out on Tenpenny or not but he still left the state for bama as well.

We'll know when we arrive when we can cherry pick the state and then head out to fill in the gaps, not at all unlike what OU does.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

poloprince

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on August 24, 2014, 11:15:43 am
Ditto.  And Josh Frazier was from NWA.  IMHO it has been worse in Basketball with Griffin and Allen leaving.  And I like and support CMA.  It just takes a while to rebuild connections.  That is why we got Jimmy Whitt and lost Allen.  Connections.

Who is Griffin?  I know you can't get them all so I don't fret. I'm more concerned with who we do get, opposed to we don't. Maybe, you mean Goodwin and in that case noone speaks of him around here anymore. Losing top recruits to Cal and Donovan isn't the most unimaginable thing.
$PoLoPrInCe$

onebadrubi

Ditto.  And Josh Frazier was from NWA.  IMHO it has been worse in Basketball with Griffin and Allen leaving.  And I like and support CMA.  It just takes a while to rebuild connections.  That is why we got Jimmy Whitt and lost Allen.  Connections.

Many can debate the Archie thing.  And Allen was quickly offset with Whitt.  So I say the CMA comparison is invalid, Portis says hello! 

jjdlc

Some recruits are going to leave the state, no matter what you do.  It's the nature of teenager's, they sometimes just want to get as far from home as possible, not saying they have a bad home life or anything like that, they just want to get out on their own.  I got that feeling with Frazier, there wasn't anything our coaches could have done to keep him at home.  It is what it is, this staff is doing as good a job of recruiting as any we've had in a long time, if there is any way at all to keep these kids at home, I think they'll pull it off.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: poloprince on August 24, 2014, 11:27:13 am
Who is Griffin?  I know you can't get them all so I don't fret. I'm more concerned with who we do get, opposed to we don't. Maybe, you mean Goodwin and in that case noone speaks of him around here anymore. Losing top recruits to Cal and Donovan isn't the most unimaginable thing.
Sorry, mental fart while typing.  Definitely meant Goodwin.  And I don't blame Mike for either of those.  My point was that we had "lost" more big names in recruiting in Basketball that we had in football recently. And I fully expect both of those to turn around in the near future.  We had been a non-factor for so long in basketball, you can't expect it to just completely turn on a dime.  You have to build relationships with the kids, from as early an age as you can, so that the parents and the kids know the coaches on a personal level, as well as on a basketball reputation level.  My oldest child is looking at colleges right now and is being "recruited" as one would say academically and the schools that have contacted her on a personal level are much higher on her list than those just sending out the mass mailings with no understanding of her major plans and interests.  Some times kids just "like" another place because of the vibe of the professors and the campus, and there isn't anything you can do to change their minds.

trashcan maN

East TN HAWG

I don't think this only applies to AR.  I think with ESPN and the overall exposure of college athletics this is a nationwide trend. 

Attila the Hog

Well I just took 99 cents out of my retirement savings to pay to read the article.   Best 99 cents I have ever spent.  Made me feel better about our athletic department overall in Fayetteville.

Nice job Richard!

ricepig

Quote from: Attila the Hog on August 24, 2014, 12:29:04 pm
Well I just took 99 cents out of my retirement savings to pay to read the article.   Best 99 cents I have ever spent.  Made me feel better about our athletic department overall in Fayetteville.

Nice job Richard!

Now you're going to have to work until 70! Great effort by the coaching staff, success on the field will make their job even easier.

hobhog

Dont agree at all. No way every player stays home. It happens everywhere.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on August 24, 2014, 11:56:07 am
I don't think this only applies to AR.  I think with ESPN and the overall exposure of college athletics this is a nationwide trend. 

This is spot on and if anybody without an agenda would do a little research they would find out that top players from different states leave their "home" state all the time and that trend will continue. 

Now, with that being said Arkansas is unique in that there is only one major team in the state and is more likely than not to keep thier top players in-state.

Ā 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on August 24, 2014, 01:00:02 pm
This is spot on and if anybody without an agenda would do a little research they would find out that top players from different states leave their "home" state all the time and that trend will continue. 

Now, with that being said Arkansas is unique in that there is only one major team in the state and is more likely than not to keep thier top players in-state.

It takes no research to know that players in all states go out of state - all the time.

Altee Tenpenny was Rivals' number one ranked player in Arkansas in 2013 and the 53rd ranked player nationally.

Michael Dyer was Rivals' number one ranked player in Arkansas in 2010 and the number 11 ranked player nationally.

Archie Goodwin was the 14th ranked player in the country in 2012. 

With the top two in-state recruits on board for 2015, one of them the 5th rated pro-style QB in the country, locking up the 3 and 4 players from central and south Arkansas is not only crucial from a needs standpoint, it's crucial from a cultural standpoint.  Denying that doesn't make it any less true.

3kgthog

It seems strange to me that most of the highly rated players that leave the state usually don't find tremendous success. Dyer got a ring, but his football career is pretty much over. Goodwin wasn't a very big hit at UK and got lucky with an NBA team taking a chance on him. Tenpenny might as well be on his way out since, barring injury, he's going to be playing only in the 4th qtr of blowouts. Kodi Burns and Kiehl Frazier did nothing at Auburn. I could go on and on. Compare that to the cream of the Arkansan crop like DMac, Matt Jones, Shawn Andrews, Hillis, Corliss, J. Wright, and several others that became Hog and SEC greats.

My point is that staying home instead of leaving seems to propel Arkansas boys to better careers. Maybe it's having less stress from being far from home or just a love for the Hog. Whatever it is, history has proven staying home works out very well for most of the top guys that became Hogs.

Hawgzinbowlz

The coach's will give an Arkansas recruit every opportunity to play and excel. We want the best on the field but a part of the "recruiting Arkansas" culture is to make certain every high level in state player understands that they will be presented an opportunity to showcase their talents.
Hunter would have caused a meltdown if he had chosen to leave Arkansas. CBB and staff did a nice job of signing him and are putting on a full court press for K.J. and Will.
Enough success, in '14, to show we are headed in the right direction and I think K.J. and Will are Hogs.

" GO HOGS "

SPAL

Darn good article RD. One of the best reads in a long time. I got chills at one point. Just a great piece

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Attila the Hog on August 24, 2014, 12:29:04 pm

Nice job Richard!

Thanks. I might get a few cents of that for my retirement so it's all good.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 24, 2014, 04:04:52 pm
R.D. if you need some good advice on how to best invest all that new found wealth I'm your man!  :D

fakebobholt

One of two athletes is going to bama. Hill or gragg. They have both said they want to play together. Isure hope we can change one of their minds and get 1 of the 2.

ricepig

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 24, 2014, 06:26:48 pm
One of two athletes is going to bama. Hill or gragg. They have both said they want to play together. Isure hope we can change one of their minds and get 1 of the 2.

Saying they want to play together, and doing it are two different things. I do hope they play together at Arkansas, though.

redeye

PorkRinds

Richard, I've never bought a newspaper in my life. Not once. I've always just gotten my news online, because that's my generation's version of a newspaper. But I made a point to go out and buy an ADG today to read this article, and I'm glad I did. This piece has given me more hope for the future of our program than any I've read. Because this came from someone not connected to the program in any way. From the parents of a recruit who is being wooed by any major program he could want to go to, and they came away feeling so good about the program, that it can't help but rub off. I appreciate your work, and always have since I started following recruiting. But this article was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 24, 2014, 06:43:06 pm
Richard, I've never bought a newspaper in my life. Not once. I've always just gotten my news online, because that's my generation's version of a newspaper. But I made a point to go out and buy an ADG today to read this article, and I'm glad I did. This piece has given me more hope for the future of our program than any I've read. Because this came from someone not connected to the program in any way. From the parents of a recruit who is being wooed by any major program he could want to go to, and they came away feeling so good about the program, that it can't help but rub off. I appreciate your work, and always have since I started following recruiting. But this article was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

It underscores my point, which some above don't understand - Bret Bielema and his staff are going over the top to get KJ Hill - not just because he is a great athlete - but because he could be a bellweather for the program. 

Hill will be another 4 star receiver at Auburn or Alabama or Ohio State.  At Arkansas he can make 5 the favorite number of another generation of Arkansas fans.

jgphillips3

I'll say it again.  If we don't get this kid, it isn't Bielema's fault.  He has done everything he can do and continues to do so.  Yes it would hurt to lose Hill to a rival, but knowing we did everything possible to bring him to Fayetteville would make me feel a lot better about it.  I'm getting more optimistic as time goes on.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 24, 2014, 06:43:06 pm

Thanks. Like I said I usually don't plug a column but I thought fans would like it.

I'll have more from Montez on wholehogsports this week.   

PennHOG

As someone that lives a good two days drive to obtain any Arkansas newspaper, can someone just clue me in on what this is about?  If there's an online link to the full article, did I miss a link?

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Steef

Quote from: PennHOG on August 25, 2014, 07:06:56 am
As someone that lives a good two days drive to obtain any Arkansas newspaper, can someone just clue me in on what this is about?  If there's an online link to the full article, did I miss a link?

Ditto.

PorkRinds

There's an article from yesterday's paper about KJ Hill and his visit to the scrimmage Saturday.  His father has glowing reviews of the coaches on the hill.  I believe you can pay 99 cents for a one day pass to read the ARDEMGAZ if I'm not mistaken.  It's worth a read though.  Like I said, it made me feel better about the state of our athletic programs than anything I've heard so far.  Not just football, all of them. We've got some good people up there leading our teams.

Amityvillehogger

His folks were very impressed and excited about what is going on on the hill. They said some heartfelt things about the visit and the coaching staff. Makes you proud of BB and the product the coaching staff and university are selling. 
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Boarcephus

Quote from: Richard Davenport on August 24, 2014, 04:04:52 pm

I've been a 7 day a week subscriber for years so you ought to be able to send me a Christmas Card!  ;)

Unlike PorkRinds, I'm older generation and I want the solid paper in my hand.  Want to kick back and turn the pages.