1 (0.4%)
Top 10
0 (0%)
Top 5
2 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 250

popcornhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 23, 2014, 05:32:23 pm
Doesn't matter what you did last year. You beat the #5 team on the road and you're top 20 the next week every single time. Zero doubt whatsoever.

That's the way it should be. But I doubt it.

Maybe I'm way off base but I just don't remember a team climbing that far in the polls from one win.
WPS

hogcard1964

Quote from: LZH on August 22, 2014, 07:10:32 pm
Depends.  If we go in there and hold Gus' offense to 14 or 17 points while our offense runs it up and down the field, I doubt we'd be left out.

^

This

threeNout

Quote from: popcornhog on August 27, 2014, 07:06:41 am
Possible but probably too far to climb. Most voters won't move a team up 30 spots over just one game (preseason polls are obviously stupid).

but most "one games"  are not opening games against a top 5 team on the road.

I asked earlier in the thread if a major conference team ever started 1-0, by beating a top 5 team on the road, and then NOT be ranked the following week.

I believe there are no such examples, it has never happened. It would be unprecedented.

Bardicer

Quote from: threeNout on August 22, 2014, 07:26:45 pm
I guess a better way to ask this is has a major conference team ever opened the season with a win a #2 and then NOT be ranked the following week?

It may have happened before, but I bet you'd have to look pretty hard to find that example. It may well have never happened.

I voted top 20, I think at least the top 25 would have to happen.

I believe Appalachian state was 25 when they beat Michigan.  Something about "token respect".

jm

No chance one win makes us a top 25 team in the polls. Maybe after several wins.

HogMantheIntruder

I think one of the biggest reasons we crack the top 25 if we beat Auburn is because what Auburn did last year.  The massive turn around made for a great story, and we could be the next great story. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

FaytownHog

You don't jump from #60 something to top 25 no matter who ya beat. They'd wait and see if it was a fluke, which means T-tech game. We'd get a few votes for sure though.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: FaytownHog on August 27, 2014, 01:38:22 pm
You don't jump from #60 something to top 25 no matter who ya beat. They'd wait and see if it was a fluke, which means T-tech game. We'd get a few votes for sure though.
I would agree, but I think (hope, at least) that preseason rankings are starting to matter less and less.  Again, last year's Auburn team helped that cause tremendously, having been ranked #51 in the preseason.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Hawgzinbowlz

August 27, 2014, 03:27:31 pm #58 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:39:00 pm by Hawgzinbowlz
After the first game I think we would have a better chance than toward the end of the season.
The voters are sorting it out early and Auburns run in '13, compared to '12, would be on some of the voters minds.
If we didn't crack the top 25 we would be getting serious consideration as the season plays out.
I voted top 25 and feel if we didn't hit the top 25 with an AU win we would after we beat TT.

" GO HOGS "

threeNout

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on August 27, 2014, 03:27:31 pm
After the first game I think we would have a better chance than toward the end of the season.
The voters are sorting it out early and Auburns run in '13, compared to '12, would be on some of the voters minds.
If we didn't crack the top 25 we would be getting serious consideration as the season plays out.
I voted top 25 and feel if we didn't hit the top 25 with an AU win we would after we beat TT.

" GO HOGS "

exactly,  1-0 after beating a top 5 team on the road.

that has always equated to being ranked the next week, every time.

If we beat Auburn and aren't ranked the next week, it would be unprecedented, and as a fan base, we would no longer be "paranoid".
it would be proven.

LRRandy

Quote from: threeNout on August 27, 2014, 06:37:29 pm
exactly,  1-0 after beating a top 5 team on the road.

that has always equated to being ranked the next week, every time.

If we beat Auburn and aren't ranked the next week, it would be unprecedented, and as a fan base, we would no longer be "paranoid".
it would be proven.
baloney. Beating Auburn would be a huge upset and a boost for the players coaches and fan base. It will not however , get the hogs ranked in the top 25. A team will not jump from mid 50 to top 25 with one win. Won't happen.
This is fun, isn't it.

popcornhog

Quote from: threeNout on August 27, 2014, 07:12:06 am
but most "one games"  are not opening games against a top 5 team on the road.

I asked earlier in the thread if a major conference team ever started 1-0, by beating a top 5 team on the road, and then NOT be ranked the following week.

I believe there are no such examples, it has never happened. It would be unprecedented.

It would also be unprecedented for a team to jump that far in one week. Maybe we would've ranked but I think it's more likely that we wouldn't be.
WPS

Hogarusa

How is #1 not an option?  #norespect
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Fayettechill14

Quote from: popcornhog on August 27, 2014, 07:08:07 am
That's the way it should be. But I doubt it.

Maybe I'm way off base but I just don't remember a team climbing that far in the polls from one win.

2003: We were 1-0, beat #4 Texas in Austin and jumped to #18.

2006: We were 3-1, beat #2 Auburn at Auburn and jumped to #18.

Recent examples. We'll be top 20 with a win.

LRRandy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 27, 2014, 08:12:49 pm
2003: We were 1-0, beat #4 Texas in Austin and jumped to #18.

2006: We were 3-1, beat #2 Auburn at Auburn and jumped to #18.

Recent examples. We'll be top 20 with a win.
but those teams were not on a 12 game conference losing streak. It's just wishful thinking on your part. This team is so far down in the national consciousness that even a huge upset over a top five team on the road still will not get a top 25 ranking. The point is moot anyway.
This is fun, isn't it.

FaytownHog

Quote from: LRRandy on August 27, 2014, 08:23:59 pm
but those teams were not on a 12 game conference losing streak. It's just wishful thinking on your part. This team is so far down in the national consciousness that even a huge upset over a top five team on the road still will not get a top 25 ranking. The point is moot anyway.
Exactly. We're not jumping 40 spots on what most of the country will believe is a fluke. Our next shot to actually prove it wasn't would be t-tech. If we go there and beat them, people will buy in and we'll jump from upper 20's, lower 30's into the top 20.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: FaytownHog on August 27, 2014, 09:48:32 pm
Exactly. We're not jumping 40 spots on what most of the country will believe is a fluke. Our next shot to actually prove it wasn't would be t-tech. If we go there and beat them, people will buy in and we'll jump from upper 20's, lower 30's into the top 20.

There aren't 40 spots. There are 25. If we win, we'll be ranked. Zero doubt whatsoever. I'm stunned we're debating this. I can't even imagine how some of you are reaching the conclusion that wouldn't be.

threeNout

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 27, 2014, 09:52:34 pm
There aren't 40 spots. There are 25. If we win, we'll be ranked. Zero doubt whatsoever. I'm stunned we're debating this. I can't even imagine how some of you are reaching the conclusion that wouldn't be.

I agree with you FC,  I think these polls numbers reflect that we really do expect the absolute worst treatment possible by the rest of the country, blinding out what should be obvious.

I sure hope it's not a moot point in a few days, that we win and are vindicated here.

maybe the wounds of "we will never be good enough" would start to heal.

PonderinHog

If we destroy them, we will probably be ranked.

Swine-as-wine

Texas is ranked......along with more than a handful of other teams undeserving of
a top 25 ranking to start the year. The Hogs beat Auburn, the loses of other teams
in the top 25, will leave spaces that need filled, and there will be no excuses to not
move into the rankings. Period. If not, I wouldn't look for Ralphie May to launch a
campaign for us

Pigsknuckles

Ranking be darned. My Dad, who was as much of a football agnostic as anyone could be said; Arkansas is loved by the media because, on any given game day, they have shown that they can take on any team in the nation, and ruin their chances for post season glory. Spoiler reputation, maybe? Still, a vote of respect. My Dad lived through the Wilkinson years, and admitted his disbelief when they were eclipsed by ND.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

BENTON PIGGEE

I haven't answered the poll because I've been spending all my time wondering what to spend my money on when my lottery ticket I bought yesterday wins.

threeNout

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on August 27, 2014, 11:00:53 pm
I haven't answered the poll because I've been spending all my time wondering what to spend my money on when my lottery ticket I bought yesterday wins.

not hopeful eh?

I like our chances better as a 20 point dog in this game, straight up, than I have any other time we've been 20 point dogs.

A run game that pounds on you all day and eats clock is very tough to deal with, I hope that is what we have.

snoblind

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 27, 2014, 09:52:34 pm

I'm stunned you have so little understanding of how polls work.  In the UPI, we are 50th in the others receiving votes.  Not mentioned in AP.  The posters are reaching the conclusion because they have been looking at polls for a long time.  As someone mentioned, plenty of voters will wait to see if it is a fluke before they vote us in top 25.

threeNout

Quote from: FaytownHog on August 27, 2014, 09:48:32 pm
Exactly. We're not jumping 40 spots on what most of the country will believe is a fluke.

Quote from: snoblind on August 27, 2014, 11:55:51 pm
I'm stunned you have so little understanding of how polls work.  In the UPI, we are 50th in the others receiving votes. 

guys, we wouldn't have to jump 40 or 50 spots to be RANKED.  We'd have to jump 40 or 50 spots to be ranked #1   :)

There are 51 teams getting votes in the AP poll,  25 of them are "ranked"  26 are not.

we only need to jump 26 to be ranked.

Of the 51 teams, only a handful will have an opportunity to make as big a splash as we would with a win Saturday.

There seems to be a double standard logic at work here for those who think we would not be ranked after a win Saturday.

What would happen to Auburn?  by the logic offered by some on here, they should fall completely out of the top 25, and that wouldn't happen either.

Any sort of win puts us around 20, any sort of loss drops Auburn to around 15.

It would be ONE of the biggest opening game statements a major conference team has made in the last 10 years, by a team that was top 5 just 3 years ago.  It would not be minimised, or go unnoticed or unrewarded.

hope we get to find out.

LRRandy

Quote from: snoblind on August 27, 2014, 11:55:51 pm
I'm stunned you have so little understanding of how polls work.  In the UPI, we are 50th in the others receiving votes.  Not mentioned in AP.  The posters are reaching the conclusion because they have been looking at polls for a long time.  As someone mentioned, plenty of voters will wait to see if it is a fluke before they vote us in top 25.
blind hog love ends rational thinking. What I love is that he scolds anyone that can't possibly understand that it is a 100% stone cold lock that they will be ranked with a win. ( snicker)
This is fun, isn't it.

threeNout

lastly, on the idea of a win being considered a "fluke" by voters.

If we win, it'll be because we are able to dominate the LOS and run down their throats.

To voters, that won't look like a "fluke", that will look like  "we were wrong".

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

threeNout

pigsooietim

We have had the entire off season to prepare for the Gus Malzahn option football attack. I believe Schiano even came in and offered up some advice. I also read somewhere that Rob Smith has had a pretty good record against spread type offenses. So if we can play keep away with the ground and pound and wear out that AU defensive line then we have a much better chance to win than people think.

CBB needs this win really bad too. Defeating the defending SEC champs after a zero win campaign last year would be huge huge HUGE !!!

As far as rankings go IF we beat AU on their field in the opening game we WILL be ranked in the top 20. No doubt about it. This isn't last season. And we will get the benefit from the voters.  :razorback:

Großer Kriegschwein

If we pass effectively, don't turn the ball over, limit the big plays on defense, control the clock from kickoff, Nick Marshall comes in early and we still win, then I can see getting some votes.

If Auburn shoots themselves in the foot by turning the ball over 3 times and Nick Marshall comes in during the second half I don't think we will get many votes.
This is my non-signature signature.

threeNout

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 28, 2014, 08:27:31 am
If we pass effectively, don't turn the ball over, limit the big plays on defense, control the clock from kickoff, Nick Marshall comes in early and we still win, then I can see getting some votes.

If Auburn shoots themselves in the foot by turning the ball over 3 times and Nick Marshall comes in during the second half I don't think we will get many votes.

that's a fair analysis.

snoblind

All I have left to say on this topic is I hope I come back to this thread in a few days and read, "see I told you we would jump into the top 20."

MountieDawg

Don't try to put the cart before the horse... Winning much more important than polls after week 1... With that being said, doubtful of a ranking unless the win is 45-0.
SEC!