1 (0.4%)
Top 10
0 (0%)
Top 5
2 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 250

threeNout

mckinneyhog5

Don't think it would happen.  The talk would be how Auburn chocked and not that we are better.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

greenie

Quote from: threeNout on August 22, 2014, 06:37:35 pm
How could we not be?

IMHO, we'll have to get to 3-0 to break the top 25...and maybe not then.  We're probably not in the top 60 right now.  That's a big hill to climb.

Poker_hog

Maybe.  If we start 3-0 we will be.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

lahawg1

Yeah, not happening with one win, let's have this conversation after 4 wins.......

razorbacker3

don't wanna be until we are 5-0

HogFanatic

It would depend on the nature of the win.

If Arkansas strolled into Auburn and smacked them around like I think they might, they would definitely be ranked. Arkansas needs to have the mentality of "hey, you guys aren't gonna have to fake injuries this year. We are gonna give you legitimate ones."

Hit them hard, hit them early, and hit them often and Arkansas may walk away with a big win.

HVHog

How could we not be?

Has anyone else noted how many freshmen are being touted for playing time this year in key positions.  Still building for the next couple of years.  Going to be better this year but still growing up.

LZH

Depends.  If we go in there and hold Gus' offense to 14 or 17 points while our offense runs it up and down the field, I doubt we'd be left out.

threeNout

I guess a better way to ask this is has a major conference team ever opened the season with a win a #2 and then NOT be ranked the following week?

It may have happened before, but I bet you'd have to look pretty hard to find that example. It may well have never happened.

I voted top 20, I think at least the top 25 would have to happen.

thefisher

August 22, 2014, 07:28:04 pm #10 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:00:24 am by thefisher
Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 22, 2014, 06:57:21 pm
Arkansas needs to have the mentality of "hey, you guys aren't gonna have to fake injuries this year. We are gonna give you legitimate ones."

I like that.  I like it a lot.

The guys need to go home, fight with their little brothers, eat some raw bloody meat, lock up their girlfriends chastity belts, show up with their jocks straps slung low, have an extremely bad frame of mind, and overwhelmingly worse intentions.  Make somebody on the other side of the ball extremely sorry they showed up to play this game.  Intimidation can go a long, long way.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

threeNout

Quote from: HVHog on August 22, 2014, 07:01:02 pm
Has anyone else noted how many freshmen are being touted for playing time this year in key positions.  Still building for the next couple of years.  Going to be better this year but still growing up.

oh sure,  but if this hypothetical happened, I don't think they would deny us votes because we have a young team.

threeNout

It's amazing that 2/3 of the poll voters think that if we win we would likely be the first major conference team in NCAA history to open the season with a win @ #2 and not be ranked the next week.

we do seem to expect the worst of everything.

If we somehow do win, even by a point, Auburn drops to 15 or so and we are right around 20.

it would be a huge injustice, and likely would be unprecedented treatment of a major conference team, to be left out of the poll at 1-0 coming off a quality win like that.

bullschmidterist

did Appalachian State get ranked after beating Michigan? Same boat as them.

threeNout

Quote from: bullschmidterist on August 22, 2014, 07:43:46 pm
did Appalachian State get ranked after beating Michigan? Same boat as them.

I thought of that game, what was Michigan ranked?

and not a major conference team, and further I believe Ap state was not even eligible to be voted in the division 1 top 25,   weren't they divsion II at the time?

HogFanatic

Quote from: threeNout on August 22, 2014, 07:46:47 pm
I thought of that game, what was Michigan ranked?

and not a major conference team, and further I believe Ap state was not even eligible to be voted in the division 1 top 25,   weren't they divsion II at the time?

Yeah, I think they were Division 2. But it isn't the same boat. We play in the SEC, with SEC talent.

You can't just neglect a team who just began the season with a victory over the number 2 team in the country on the road. They would be ranked. I voted top 25. And it would still seem unfair.

threeNout

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 22, 2014, 07:56:02 pm
Yeah, I think they were Division 2. But it isn't the same boat. We play in the SEC, with SEC talent.

You can't just neglect a team who just began the season with a victory over the number 2 team in the country on the road. They would be ranked. I voted top 25. And it would still seem unfair.

exactly, thank you sir.

2/3rds still disagree with us.

BatesvilleHOG

I'm not sure we'd be ranked after beating auburn, it depends on margin of victory and all that mess. I'm sure we'd get votes tho. Start the season 4-0 or 5-0 and we'll be top 20 without a doubt.

Hogwild

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 22, 2014, 07:56:02 pm

Auburn is currently 6th in the AP Poll, we were 8th when ULM beats us. They got votes but weren't ranked.

The Kig

Whether or not we would "deserve" to be ranked or actually ranked are two different things.  We absolutely should be ranked if we beat the #6 team (and BCS runner-up) in the country at their place, but I still don't think they would rank us.  The spin machine would be in high gear regarding suspensions, injuries, complete travesty of refereeing, or some magical divine intervention where a wild boar rushed the field when the eagle was flying into the stadium during pre-game and only left some feathers sticking out of his mouth, thus traumatizing the entire Barn team and throwing them off their game.... whatever... their would still be some garbage around why we shouldn't have won. 

Win that one and we may still not get ranked till after the Texas Tech game...  reality sucks.

But just win baby.... I don't care about the ranking early in the season.... if we are ranked at the end of the season, that will be what matters.

Poker Porker

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 22, 2014, 06:57:21 pmArkansas needs to have the mentality of "hey, you guys aren't gonna have to fake injuries this year. We are gonna give you legitimate ones."

Hit them hard, hit them early, and hit them often and Arkansas may walk away with a big win.
That's a fairley good way to treat Auburn.

threeNout

Quote from: The Kig on August 22, 2014, 08:13:23 pm
We absolutely should be ranked if we beat the #6 team (and BCS runner-up) in the country at their place, but I still don't think they would rank us.  The spin machine would be in high gear....

I could be wrong, but I'll say if that happened our fan base's perceived paranoia of being downplayed would be pretty soundly justified.

Quote from: The Kig on August 22, 2014, 08:13:23 pm

But just win baby.... I don't care about the ranking early in the season.... if we are ranked at the end of the season, that will be what matters.

agree there.

Cave City Joe

I think it would take beating Auburn and Tech to get ranked.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

GlassofSwine

I think it is possible we would crack the Top 25. More than likely though Auburn will be torched in the media as being overrated. They will point to the lucky wins last year and the losses of Dee Ford, Greg Robinson and Tre Mason as problems. They will probably also talk about Nick Marshall being a distraction going into the 1st game because of the suspension. They will do all of that before they look at Arkansas as legitimate.

greasy_corner

We're already receiving votes from coach.  I vote top 5.

The Divine Swine

I would bet a day's salary that we are ranked if we beat Auburn next weekend. If I was a betting man that is. seriously though, beat a top 10 team on the road in the sec. I don't care how far down we are, that would garner a guaranteed ranking. surprised so many doubt this. I mean if it happens folks will think back to how we should have beaten LSU last season. We would all of the sudden be legitimized. book it.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Fayettechill14

Auburn is ranked #5 or #6 in all major polls, duh we are ranked if we beat them. Probably around 15-20. No doubt whatsoever.

fakebobholt

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on August 22, 2014, 10:23:15 pm
Auburn is ranked #5 or #6 in all major polls, duh we are ranked if we beat them. Probably around 15-20. No doubt whatsoever.

we didnt win a confrence game last year. We would have to be 5-0 to be ranked that high. 1 win isnt going to propell us that far.

threeNout

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 22, 2014, 10:44:23 pm
we didnt win a confrence game last year.

I think that is the mindset that two bad seasons produces and has over 60% thinking we wouldn't be ranked should we win next week.

people act like we are already 0-2, and a win at Auburn wouldn't mean much.

we would be 1-0, believe it or not, undefeated, and we would almost certainly be ranked after being a highly ranked opponent on the road.

vbgonz46

We will be ranked in the top 25 because it gives Auburn repect and the media loves Auburn ..
Date Registered:  December 10, 2004, 12:43:54 AM

moses_007

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 22, 2014, 06:57:21 pm
Arkansas needs to have the mentality of "hey, you guys aren't gonna have to fake injuries this year. We are gonna give you legitimate ones."

+1.  Great post.

razorbackkid

Quote from: thefisher on August 22, 2014, 07:28:04 pm
I like that.  I like it a lot.

Guys need to go home, fight with their little brothers, eat some raw bloody meat, lock up their girlfriends chastity belts, and show up with their jocks straps slung low in a bad frame of mind with worse intentions.  Make somebody on the other side of the ball extremely sorry they showed up to play this game.  Intimidation can go a long, long way.
Works for me. +1
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HamIAm

no votes. Honestly, would you expect any other team that was winless in conference last year and won 2 conference games the year before to get votes just because they won a game against a top 10 opponent?  It will take time.   As for the people thinking we'd be ranked top 5, surely that was a joke.

yraciv

Quote from: razorbacker3 on August 22, 2014, 06:54:47 pm
don't wanna be until we are 5-0

As far of a reach as this scenario is, you always want to be ranked as soon as possible. The quicker you become on the national radar, the more coverage you get, and ultimately it puts you in a position for a better bowl games, playoffs, etc.  If we don't reach the Top 25 until we're 5-0, we could inevitably put up a huge season and still be ranked below the preseason teams that were ahead of us.

ChitownHawg

If we are 1-0 then I trust we will get Mike Irwin's vote, so yes we will be receiving votes.

The most glorious thing will be Auburn having to answer how a winless team came into their house and won!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Jamie Jones

We received one vote in the first AP poll. That being said, I think we would be one of the first two teams receiving votes. That would put us somewhere around 27. Win the next next couple and be undefeated going to Dallas, and I think we are in the top 20.  I could be wrong, but I just don't see us jumping that many teams in one week.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

lefty08

Quote from: Hogwild on August 22, 2014, 08:10:49 pm
Auburn is currently 6th in the AP Poll, we were 8th when ULM beats us. They got votes but weren't ranked.

If you think we get the same respect as ULM you are delusional. We already received votes, so yes we would be more than likely. I just wonder who really cares either way. Ranking wont mean anything week 2
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

razorbackkid

While I appreciate the question of this topic and I'd love to see our Hogs ranked once again, to be honest I could not care less whether we are ranked or not after we beat Auburn.  Because this poll is based on the hypothetical of a win, I'd be all grins and giggles just seeing this hypothetical question becoming a reality.

That being said, and if this win becomes a reality, I see Arkansas in the top 15 after week four.  Top 12 after week five.

Unrealistic?  Who cares....it all starts (for us) next Saturday and I'm excited as a Hog in the finest slop on earth.

Go Hogs!

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Vantage 8 dude

While I think we'd likely garner some votes I don't think we'd crack the top 25. In the end I honestly could care less whether we did or not. I'd just be VERY PLEASED with the fact we beat their sorry rears(especially down there)!!!

razorbackkid

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 23, 2014, 02:19:33 pm
While I think we'd likely garner some votes I don't think we'd crack the top 25. In the end I honestly could care less whether we did or not. I'd just be VERY PLEASED with the fact we beat their sorry rears(especially down there)!!!
If, and it is a big if, we were to pull off the upset, NOT being ranked in the Top 25 could give our team a bigger chip on the shoulder.  Which may not be a bad thing considering our schedule.

+1

We would need  to go 3-0, beat Aubbie with ease and curb stomp the next 2 with shutouts to reach the top 25 before the fourth game of the season.  Calm down now, this is one thing we shouldn't worry about.

MrThunderhog

Only way this team gets ranked is coming home from TTU unbeaten thus far. Starting out not in the top 50 will hurt for a while.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

razorbackkid

Quote from: MrThunderhog on August 23, 2014, 04:27:06 pm
Only way this team gets ranked is coming home from TTU unbeaten thus far. Starting out not in the top 50 will hurt for a while.
-1 for being real.  J/K, I don't give smites unless completely deserved.

It is an uphill battle....and that battle starts @Auburn.

Edit:  +1 for the Pulp Fiction tag line.  I love that movie.  :)

Professor Psychosis

Let's just beat Auburn so we can find out.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 23, 2014, 04:32:50 pm
Let's just beat Auburn so we can find out.
Start with the first game?   Interesting concept.  :)

clutch

We've got a big hill to climb to get into the rankings. I think we'd receive a few votes but wouldn't be in yet. They'd look at it as upsets happen early in the year. If we beat Tech I think we'd be in the top 25. Some said we'd need to be 5-0, I think if we were fortunate enough to get to 5-0 we'd be in the top 15 afterwards.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 22, 2014, 10:44:23 pm
we didnt win a confrence game last year. We would have to be 5-0 to be ranked that high. 1 win isnt going to propell us that far.

Doesn't matter what you did last year. You beat the #5 team on the road and you're top 20 the next week every single time. Zero doubt whatsoever.

ChitownHawg

39 people think we would be T25?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

threeNout

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 23, 2014, 05:42:15 pm
39 people think we would be T25?  ;D

I'm more surprised at the 105 people who think we wouldn't be ranked at all.

If we squeak out a win, we are definitely in the top 25

if we dominate, top 20

either case, Auburn falls to around 15.

popcornhog

How could we not be?

Possible but probably too far to climb. Most voters won't move a team up 30 spots over just one game (preseason polls are obviously stupid).
WPS