Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pat Forde done gone and lost his mind

Started by southeasthog, August 22, 2014, 06:18:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seebs

Fortunately this will play out in the playoffs but when the Pac 12 gets their hat handed to them this article will never be mentioned again. 

The wonder of columnist and bold predictions. They are never held accountable.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

PennHOG

It's not really that crazy.  The PAC 12 have definately gotten stronger and the SEC's strongest teams have many critical holes to fill. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Pork Twain

Well the Pac-12 has like 3-4 good teams.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

The Pac 12's top teams always beat up on each other. They will fare better in a four-team playoff.
[CENSORED]!

thirrdegreetusker

From "The Outlaw Josey Wales":

Granny Hawkins: I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat.

Hogarusa

I am a big fan of the coaches in the Pac 12
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

JayBell

Quote from: PennHOG on August 22, 2014, 06:43:21 amIt's not really that crazy.  The PAC 12 have definately gotten stronger and the SEC's strongest teams have many critical holes to fill.

It is that crazy.  The Pac-12 is bragging about having seven teams that could be top 25 quality this year.  The SEC has three more teams on that level every single season.  And you go down the line, the SEC is better at every level.  Maybe Stanford or Oregon could win with the right matchup, but the SEC always has the edge.

LRHawg

Quote from: Seebs on August 22, 2014, 06:23:25 am

The wonder of columnist and bold predictions. They are never held accountable.

And weathermen. We need a new era of accountability! ;D

Hogarusa

Quote from: JayBell on August 22, 2014, 10:38:58 am
It is that crazy.  The Pac-12 is bragging about having seven teams that could be top 25 quality this year.  The SEC has three more teams on that level every single season.  And you go down the line, the SEC is better at every level.  Maybe Stanford or Oregon could win with the right matchup, but the SEC always has the edge.

Spoken like a true SEC homer.   Its hard to say its that crazy when they have 6 ranked teams.  I would say its close. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Mike Irwin

Pat Forde done gone and lost his mind a long time ago.

Chuck Beavers

The Pac-12 was very good last year even in an off-year for USC. They are much improved and way ahead of the Big 10 and Big 12.

On a San Francisco sports talk show earlier this week they were discussing the Pac-12's chances of getting into the 4-team playoff. They were worried a second SEC team would beat out the Pac-12 leader and touting the better strength-of-schedule of PAC-12 teams by referencing a few really bad SEC non-conference games.

PennHOG

But for this year, it's not crazy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

LZH

With California having as much blue chip talent as Florida or Texas, it isn't too surprising that the Pac12 would get some props.  But as far as talent goes, the state of California is kind of on an island out west.  The other schools in that conference are alot like Arkansas, the in-state high school talent is sparse and local blue chips are subject to bail on the home state school and sign with the conference's top program(s).  Whereas the Pac12 feeds off of California, the SEC has fertile recruiting grounds from Texas to the Atlantic.  I can't say that alone makes the SEC better or deeper, but it can't hurt.

Hogwild

11 SEC teams received votes in the AP Poll

popcornhog

Quote from: southeasthog on August 22, 2014, 06:18:50 am
Pac 12 is the best Conference.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/move-over--sec--why-the-pac-12-should-be-the-nation-s-best-football-conference-140558951.html

He makes some valid points. Personally, I've had the SEC as #1 from top to bottom for right years running, but I'd have the SEC as 1a and the PAC as 1b this year.

I am super impressed with what Mora is doing at UCLA.

In the SEC we've got questions at several schools. LSU has a ton of talent to replace, Bama has QB questions, UGA (who I think may be the best team) has QB questions, UF is in shambles.

You can't sit here with a straight face and tell me that the SEC looks to be as dominant this year as it has in the past.

Time will tell though. We've got more teams capable of winning an NC if they put it together, SC, Bama, AU, LSU.
WPS

pigroots

The media is dying for a new story. Everyone knows the SEC has been, is, and will likely be the best for years to come. The Pac 12 is just the next big challenger as has been the Big 12, ACC, and so forth. The one constant is the SEC.

rohnjobus

The schedule argument is ridiculous.  Pac 12 and SEC play the same amount of BCS out of conference games. 

Sec's slate is much more difficult if you ask me.

SEC BCS out of conference opponents are Florida st, Georgia Tech, Clemson twice, Louisville, Indiana, Oklahoma,  West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas St, and Wisconsin

PAC 12 BCS out of conference slate, Northwestern, Mich St. Notre dame 3 times, Illinois, Rutgers, Texas, Virginia, Boston College, Michigan.

Boardon Hamsay

I remember when the SEC was at the apex of college basketball. Now, not so much. Every bubble has it's bursting point. I don't agree with every point Forde makes but to totally dismiss the Pac 12 is absolute folly.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

sickboy

Pac-12 is solid. They have great coaches and solid offense. You're going to see some high scoring games in the PAC-12 this year.

I think they'll have a hard time winning a championship though, especially when they run into a Southern team. The real difference in Southern defenses is the Nose Tackle. It's just something in the air, but we breed 'em bigger and faster. Though there are a few good southern defenders on USC west and UCLA. Still, PAC-12 will score points... They won't win championships.

They also won't have two teams in the playoff. They're going to beat up on each other too bad for that. There's not a real difference between the top three to four teams.

LRRandy

Quote from: sickboy on August 22, 2014, 12:14:15 pm

I think they'll have a hard time winning a championship though, especially when they run into a Southern team. The real difference in Southern defenses is the Nose Tackle. It's just something in the air, but we breed 'em bigger and faster.
i guess it's interesting then that the two preseason all American DT are from the B1G. Iowa and tOhio State. Hmm.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hogwild

Quote from: rohnjobus on August 22, 2014, 11:41:22 am
The schedule argument is ridiculous.  Pac 12 and SEC play the same amount of BCS out of conference games. 

If the number of OOC games against BCS teams are the same, then the Pac-12 would be playing a dozen more games against BCS opponents. The Pac-12 plays a 9 game conference schedule.

Wildhog

UL re-hired Petrino and the strain was more than Forde could bear.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

1 year of a better record for the PAC would not make them a better conference. Longevity would prove the better. Oregon and Stanford both will be worse this year. I know Mariotta plays for OU, but I still think they won't be quite as strong.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Cave City Joe

The PAC 12 is a good conference.  Only time will tell if they are a great one.  Anything can happen over the course of the season.  Look at Aubbie last year. I would put them 2nd behind SEC at this point.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

razorbackkid

Stanford, Ucla and Oregon are the best teams out west this year.  I'll go with Stanford to win it.

Better than the SEC?  No.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

31to6

Quote from: southeasthog on August 22, 2014, 06:18:50 am
Pac 12 is the best Conference.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/move-over--sec--why-the-pac-12-should-be-the-nation-s-best-football-conference-140558951.html
One argument has merit: Quarterbacks are really important in CFB and the Pac-12 has a lot of really good and experienced QB's this year while the SEC has a lot of new faces.

Everything else he said was just filler to make the article longer than 1 paragraph.

I'm not saying he is right and the Pac-12 will be better than the SEC, but if there is an advantage that is where it is.

(Coaching and recruiting [10 teams in top 25, vs 4] are both advantage SEC and neither is very close until all the Pac's "promising" coaches accomplish something.)

rljjr

Pat Forde's mind being gone nontwithstanding, the Pac-12 is a great league right now. It's not up there with the SEC just yet, but it's right behind the SEC in terms of games I would enjoy watching.