Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Schiano at NWA Touchdown Club

Started by HF#1, August 20, 2014, 12:41:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

"You're going to see a product defensively that you haven't seen here in a while."  Speaking about Rob Smith of course.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: HF#1 on August 20, 2014, 12:41:03 pm
"You're going to see a product defensively that you haven't seen here in a while."  Speaking about Rob Smith of course.
Love to hear it and can't wait to see it! I don't think we will see a finished product this season but it will be one of the better defenses that we have seen in the past 3-4 years.

PorkRinds

I like the fact that we are seeing such an influence from NFL guys with this staff.  They've had more than a few come in for advisory roles, and a with NFL experience on staff.  Can't be a bad thing.

AugustaHog

Obviously, he's not going to say anything but good things about Smith since he's his guy.  Schiano seems like a pretty straightforward person and I think he would mute some of his praise if he had any doubt.  I'm excited about Smith and he seems pretty excited about our defense for this year.  If he takes it to the levels I expect, we will be much more competitive this year.  I can't wait to see his D combined with Chaney's O when we get a Chaney guy at QB.  Nothing against the guys currently on campus, but I don't think they fit the mold that he likes for a sling it around type of QB.  Ty Storey does have that look about him and I think he may be able to take our O to new heights in a few years.

HF#1

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 20, 2014, 01:01:13 pm
Obviously, he's not going to say anything but good things about Smith since he's his guy.  Schiano seems like a pretty straightforward person and I think he would mute some of his praise if he had any doubt.  I'm excited about Smith and he seems pretty excited about our defense for this year.  If he takes it to the levels I expect, we will be much more competitive this year.  I can't wait to see his D combined with Chaney's O when we get a Chaney guy at QB.  Nothing against the guys currently on campus, but I don't think they fit the mold that he likes for a sling it around type of QB.  Ty Storey does have that look about him and I think he may be able to take our O to new heights in a few years.

Schiano and his defense pushed Petrino and Louisville out of the National Championship picture in 2006 I believe.  So I'm encouraged that he thinks highly of Rob Smith.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

AugustaHog

August 20, 2014, 01:05:44 pm #6 Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:17:32 pm by AugustaHog
I think what is encouraging about those Schiano defenses, is that they had some talent and ability but they always performed above that talent level.  I think we fit this mold currently.  I hope we get similar results. 

HF#1

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 20, 2014, 01:05:44 pm
I think what is encouraging about those Schiano defenses, is that while they had some talent and ability but they always performed above that talent level.  I think we fit this mold currently.  I hope we get similar results. 

Indeed.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 20, 2014, 01:05:44 pm
I think what is encouraging about those Schiano defenses, is that they had some talent and ability but they always performed above that talent level.  I think we fit this mold currently.  I hope we get similar results. 

I think that's true.  Always tough-minded.  It seems like RU was always sending guys from their secondary to the NFL.   

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 20, 2014, 12:48:06 pm
I like the fact that we are seeing such an influence from NFL guys with this staff.  They've had more than a few come in for advisory roles, and a with NFL experience on staff.  Can't be a bad thing.

Schiano is hardly an "NFL guy". He did spend a couple years there, but was did not do well and was not respected by the rest of the league. 
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 20, 2014, 02:49:04 pm
Schiano is hardly an "NFL guy". He did spend a couple years there, but was did not do well and was not respected by the rest of the league.
Neither is Saban... But I'd take it. (production & record wise)

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 20, 2014, 01:01:13 pm

I'm with ya, but Schiano believes that Robb Smith is a great coach, not just because he's his guy. As a Defensive Coordinator, I would be upset if he isn't enthusiastic about our defense (enthusiasm is key to making people believe in you and what you're doing). I really like his enthusiasm.
This is my non-signature signature.

Vantage 8 dude

The point it is that he doesn't necessarily have to be an "NFL guy" in order to spot/identify a competent staff at the COLLEGE level. Whether or not any of our defensive guys go on to NFL careers/success is basically irrelevant. It's what's effective in this CURRENT league that's obviously going to determine how effective our defensive will be. Talent obviously helps; however, it's not the end all-cure all to the Hog's success. Coaching has a lot to do with it as well. It's the ASSISTANT coaches that matter most in this area. In that respect I have a much more positive feeling/outlook than in the past several years.

PorkRinds

I think anyone who has spent time in the NFL could be considered an NFL guy.  JMO of course.  They've been close to the league than either of us will ever sniff.

bigbadhog

Very excited to see an improved defense...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

AugustaHog

Whether Schiano is an "NFL guy" or not, he's one hell of a good DC/defensive head coach.  He may not have panned out in the NFL, but he actually succeeded at Rutgers which was virtually unheard of.  I love that Smith will have him here over the next couple days.  Any help he can give us in game-planning/preparing for Aubie will be a huge boost.  I hope he has an open invitation to come in and lend a hand whenever he feels like it.  I'd even love to see him as a paid consultant that came in for a few days during the spring, fall camp and maybe even a couple days during a bye week.  What a great resource to have.

The Kig

When I first heard we hired Smith I didn't know enough about him past our playing Rutgers.  The more digging into his philosophy I did, the more excited I got about what it could mean for our Defense. 

Frankly, it has been quite some time since we fielded a solid defense.  We have had talent that overcame coaching deficiencies at times, but no true cohesive strategy ... Until now.  It may take time, but we will get there.  His style requires sound fundamentals, but doesn't require 11 4-5* players to execute.  It is designed to attack weak points in the offensive set vs masking weak points in our defense.
Poker Porker

Biggus Piggus

Oh, get off yourself. He spent three years on the Bears staff in the 1990s, when the Bears were great on defense. Then he went to the University of Miami to be defensive coordinator, and he was good enough at that to get a college head coaching job. From there came the return to the NFL. Don't act like all he was, was a college coach who failed as a pro head coach.
[CENSORED]!

Steef

Anyway, I think we're gonna see some carnivorous defense. Looking forward to it.

go hogues

It's nice to have other coaches respect our coach. When was the last time we could say that?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hoggish1

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on August 20, 2014, 12:43:29 pm
Love to hear it and can't wait to see it! I don't think we will see a finished product this season but it will be one of the better defenses that we have seen in the past 3-4 years.

I'd say a minimum of seven years and maybe a lot more...

bennyl08

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 20, 2014, 03:46:07 pm
Whether Schiano is an "NFL guy" or not, he's one hell of a good DC/defensive head coach.  He may not have panned out in the NFL, but he actually succeeded at Rutgers which was virtually unheard of.  I love that Smith will have him here over the next couple days.  Any help he can give us in game-planning/preparing for Aubie will be a huge boost.  I hope he has an open invitation to come in and lend a hand whenever he feels like it.  I'd even love to see him as a paid consultant that came in for a few days during the spring, fall camp and maybe even a couple days during a bye week.  What a great resource to have.

This.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 20, 2014, 04:09:01 pm
Oh, get off yourself. He spent three years on the Bears staff in the 1990s, when the Bears were great on defense. Then he went to the University of Miami to be defensive coordinator, and he was good enough at that to get a college head coaching job. From there came the return to the NFL. Don't act like all he was, was a college coach who failed as a pro head coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--buccaneers-coach-greg-schiano-regarded-as-bully-around-nfl-well-before-kneel-down-incident-20120921.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000268792/printable/greg-schiano-loses-tampa-bay-buccaneers-with-autocratic-style

Nowhere did I say he is a bad coach overall. Saban, Petrino, and a lot of other very good coaches failed at the NFL level while excelling at the collegiate. From a college standpoint, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, his perspective and insight is highly valued and appreciated.

What I am arguing is that he is not an "NFL guy". He has neither the respect of other NFL coaches or coaching staffs, and he never earned the respect of his own team. As far as I can tell, he lacked the professionalism that the professional football league desires.

I apologize for not making my point clearer. It wasn't to say that he doesn't have knowledge of defensive schemes. I tried emphasize that he wasn't really in the nfl fraternity by quoting "NFL guy" and tried to emphasize the not respected by the rest of the league. I did include the phrase "did not do well" which seems to be what everybody is focusing one, but that was more meant to qualify the rest of the post, not the main point of it. I.e. Petrino wasn't terribly respected but he did very well.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkRinds

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 20, 2014, 04:34:34 pm
This.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--buccaneers-coach-greg-schiano-regarded-as-bully-around-nfl-well-before-kneel-down-incident-20120921.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000268792/printable/greg-schiano-loses-tampa-bay-buccaneers-with-autocratic-style

Nowhere did I say he is a bad coach overall. Saban, Petrino, and a lot of other very good coaches failed at the NFL level while excelling at the collegiate. From a college standpoint, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, his perspective and insight is highly valued and appreciated.

What I am arguing is that he is not an "NFL guy". He has neither the respect of other NFL coaches or coaching staffs, and he never earned the respect of his own team. As far as I can tell, he lacked the professionalism that the professional football league desires.

I apologize for not making my point clearer. It wasn't to say that he doesn't have knowledge of defensive schemes. I tried emphasize that he wasn't really in the nfl fraternity by quoting "NFL guy" and tried to emphasize the not respected by the rest of the league. I did include the phrase "did not do well" which seems to be what everybody is focusing one, but that was more meant to qualify the rest of the post, not the main point of it. I.e. Petrino wasn't terribly respected but he did very well.

All I meant by "NFL guy" was a guy that's worked in the NFL.

HogGoneWild

Quote from: HF#1 on August 20, 2014, 12:41:03 pm

Oh boy, I can't wait  :D

trashcan maN

Rutgers is historically one of the worst programs in college football. They've been to nine total bowl games, and Greg Schiano took them to 6 of those.

Here's how Rutgers looked under Schiano:

2-9
1-11
5-7
4-7
7-5
11-2
8-5
8-5
9-4
4-8
9-4

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 20, 2014, 04:39:59 pm
All I meant by "NFL guy" was a guy that's worked in the NFL.

Gotcha. I guess what I was arguing against the idea that because somebody spent time in the NFL that they are worth something. Some program could have John L Smith come in as a consultant, would they get excited because he is an SEC guy?

In Schiano's case, his opinion is actually good. It's just the idea that because he was in the NFL he automatically is very good is a bit wrong. Instead, taking the total defense of the Buc's from 29th to 17th in his two years, mostly by improving his pass defense (32nd to 17th), though his rush defense dropped from year 1 to 2 (1st to 15th) and ppg improved from 23 to 21st would be a better statement.

Regardless, I am very excited to see Smith as our DC and am very happy to have Schiano around the program and that he seems excited about our defense as well.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 20, 2014, 04:57:08 pm
Rutgers is historically one of the worst programs in college football. They've been to nine total bowl games, and Greg Schiano took them to 6 of those.

2-9
1-11
5-7
4-7
7-5
11-2
8-5
8-5
9-4
4-8
9-4

If Coach Bret Bielema had basically that same record after 5 years he would be gone.  And yet, looke what happened for Rutgers in year 6!  They broke through and every player on the team had been recruited by Schiano.

It almost reminds you that if Danny Ford had been given one more year would he have broken through in 1998?  Instead, Nutt got to win with all of Ford's recruits. 

Arkansas is a better job than Rutgers, so I am betting it won't take Coach Bielema that long to have an upward trajectory.  We will hit better than 7-5 before year 5.   

PorkRinds

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 20, 2014, 04:58:24 pm
Gotcha. I guess what I was arguing against the idea that because somebody spent time in the NFL that they are worth something. Some program could have John L Smith come in as a consultant, would they get excited because he is an SEC guy?

In Schiano's case, his opinion is actually good. It's just the idea that because he was in the NFL he automatically is very good is a bit wrong. Instead, taking the total defense of the Buc's from 29th to 17th in his two years, mostly by improving his pass defense (32nd to 17th), though his rush defense dropped from year 1 to 2 (1st to 15th) and ppg improved from 23 to 21st would be a better statement.

Regardless, I am very excited to see Smith as our DC and am very happy to have Schiano around the program and that he seems excited about our defense as well.

I guess my larger point was that having guys with nfl connections in and around our program sends a good message to recruits and players.

Hogpkins

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 20, 2014, 04:57:08 pm

2-9
1-11
5-7
4-7
7-5
11-2
8-5
8-5
9-4
4-8
9-4

Excellent stats. And another way to say how he revolutionized their program (Bill Snyder type of revolution, although only once, not twice), Rutgers had only been to ONE bowl in history (1978) before Schiano. He took them to 6. (They've gone to 2 more since).

He's a proven program builder and I expect him to land a good college job next year.

Professor Psychosis

Any chance his full speech will be posted somewhere like Bielema's LRTD one was the other day?

razorbackkid

Quote from: steefhog on August 20, 2014, 04:23:31 pm
Anyway, I think we're gonna see some carnivorous defense. Looking forward to it.
Please Lord Jesus and Amen!

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

LZH

Quote from: The Kig on August 20, 2014, 04:05:13 pm
When I first heard we hired Smith I didn't know enough about him past our playing Rutgers. 

Me either.....hell, I was flat-out disappointed.  I thought it was, well, an odd hire, to put it politely.  But, if he's a real go-getter and has installed a more aggressive defense, I can't really complain so far.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 20, 2014, 08:29:35 pm
Any chance his full speech will be posted somewhere like Bielema's LRTD one was the other day?
I'd like to know too.

lefty08

according to the AU board, its hilarious bret needs help. i said the same thing you said and they never responded. Im not sure why getting advice from proven coaches is funny
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hogpkins

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 20, 2014, 08:29:35 pm

See top of MMQB.

or here:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/greg-schiano-uncut-interview/16279/Em21Yb0nlUClJCdzW8Jbuw

Edit: NM, guess that's not his speech.

three hog night

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 20, 2014, 05:30:52 pm
I guess my larger point was that having guys with nfl connections in and around our program sends a good message to recruits and players.

It does help and it has given Smith some credibility.   I was not thrilled when he was hired but now I am happy to hear how the D is performing.   We may have a good DC for the first time in years.   He will have surprise in his back pocket for the first 5 games, but we will know what his quality is after aTm.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

twistitup

This
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HogGoneWild

twistitup

Quote from: HogGoneWild on September 01, 2014, 11:17:40 am
yes or no

All coach speak - as usual

Schiano was here making money and squirting brownness
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Abominable Hillbilly

I've seen Arkansas miss tackles and give up 600 yards before
"The old man was a good man he raised his children right, taught us how to work hard and showed us how to fight, told us about the good lord and how to use a gun, made me very proud of where it is that I came from"  ***BLACKBERRY SMOKE***

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Abominable Hillbilly on September 01, 2014, 12:36:59 pm
I've seen Arkansas miss tackles and give up 600 yards before

In fact, I dont remember the last Arkansas defense that was any different