Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ITT all questions answered about Auburn and the game.

Started by marycomegetsomeham, August 19, 2014, 09:14:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

marycomegetsomeham

what do you want to know? i follow them so you dont have to. come at me bro.  ;)

trashcan maN

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 19, 2014, 09:18:43 am
Will our OL win in the trenches?
Auburn rotates a lot of down lineman all game. they are experienced if nothing else. where ark can make hay is setting the edge. with the talent at rb you dont need all world ol. i like the over loaded sets that ark runs and it will give au fits. will you run the ball sucessfully? i think yes.

rhames

What channel is the game on?

Will it be blacked out?

What time is kick off?

Did Brandon Mitchell redshirt?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Solomwi on August 19, 2014, 09:50:27 am
I'm gonna help out since I know a little bit about Auburn as well.

No
We did last year.  222 rush yards on 47 attempts and no sacks allowed.

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: rhames on August 19, 2014, 09:53:10 am
What channel is the game on?

Will it be blacked out?

What time is kick off?

Did Brandon Mitchell redshirt?

=================================================
The game will be on the sec network and kickoff will be around 3:09 pm. Auburn doesnt have a brandon mitchell that i know of. they do have some true freshmen that have stood out and are expected to play.

Al Boarland

Quote from: marycomegetsomeham on August 19, 2014, 09:26:16 am
Auburn rotates a lot of down lineman all game. they are experienced if nothing else. where ark can make hay is setting the edge. with the talent at rb you dont need all world ol. i like the over loaded sets that ark runs and it will give au fits. will you run the ball sucessfully? i think yes.

From what I understand their DL personnel this season are better set up to defend the run than they are for pass rush.  They are missing the quick-twitch edge rusher needed for obvious passing downs.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 19, 2014, 10:26:39 am
From what I understand their DL personnel this season are better set up to defend the run than they are for pass rush.  They are missing the quick-twitch edge rusher needed for obvious passing downs.
Opportunities are going to be there in the passing game all year. I just hope Brandon can make the throws. He'll have the protection.

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 19, 2014, 10:26:39 am
well auburn should be a little better at safety but about the same at cb which was very average. the big difference is they lose the best pass defenders they had in ford and lawson at de. de owens can be a good pass rusher but it will not be the same. the interior dl all return and are one more year wiser and one more year stronger. i suspect better play there but the ends will not be better at playing the run. status quo there if anything.
they have moved cass mckenzy to mlb to help there. he is a 6-3 250 guy. they have worked with running 3 down lineman and one true de for power run games.
  if ark can set the edge on the de's i can see marshall popping some up the middle.   

Al Boarland

Quote from: marycomegetsomeham on August 19, 2014, 10:45:32 am
well auburn should be a little better at safety but about the same at cb which was very average. the big difference is they lose the best pass defenders they had in ford and lawson at de. de owens can be a good pass rusher but it will not be the same. the interior dl all return and are one more year wiser and one more year stronger. i suspect better play there but the ends will not be better at playing the run. status quo there if anything.
they have moved cass mckenzy to mlb to help there. he is a 6-3 250 guy. they have worked with running 3 down lineman and one true de for power run games.
  if ark can set the edge on the de's i can see marshall popping some up the middle.

I guess you are assuming no improvement in year 2 under Ellis Johnson. I suspect from just a pure understanding of the defense perspective there will be improvement.  The issue for them is talent at DE for pass rush. 

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 19, 2014, 10:50:10 am
I guess you are assuming no improvement in year 2 under Ellis Johnson. I suspect from just a pure understanding of the defense perspective there will be improvement.  The issue for them is talent at DE for pass rush. 

Gee, let the Auburn fan tell us about his team, oh, never mind.....

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2014, 10:51:20 am
Gee, let the Auburn fan tell us about his team, oh, never mind.....

Top of the morning to you too, rice.  I hope you are as excited about the start of the season as I am.

If I expect our Hogs to be better on O in year 2 the same would apply to Auburn's defense.  You can't use selective logic and be objective.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 19, 2014, 10:55:54 am
Top of the morning to you too, rice.  I hope you are as excited about the start of the season as I am.

If I expect our Hogs to be better on O in year 2 the same would apply to Auburn's defense.  You can't use selective logic and be objective.

He said why he thought their D-line would be where it is, so you're saying an Auburn fan is being selective in his description of their defense. I have no idea what the defense or offense will do, just like ours, and anyone that says they "know" is full of "knock someone in Auburn colors" crazy. I expect the same detailed analysis from you on Nicholls St., since you're just telling us about the teams as we play them.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2014, 11:04:38 am
He said why he thought their D-line would be where it is, so you're saying an Auburn fan is being selective in his description of their defense. I have no idea what the defense or offense will do, just like ours, and anyone that says they "know" is full of "knock someone in Auburn colors" crazy. I expect the same detailed analysis from you on Nicholls St., since you're just telling us about the teams as we play them.

No problem.  I haven't starting digging into Nich St. much, but we will have to earn this win. 

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 19, 2014, 10:50:10 am
well, two guys that might help at de is juco d lawrence and a true freshmen named Raashed Kennion. kennion isnt ready to just leave in there but on passing downs he has really flashed. he is a 6-5 to 6-6 guy with long arms.  but he is only about 225 and needs to fill out. he apparently can get to the outside. but i doubt this will be a game for him.
having said that auburn will utilize its star hybrid lb different then last year. this guy is not as good in coverage as therezie but he is much better at blitzing and playing the run. pass rush will have to come from de owens and star lb garrett.

Al Boarland

Quote from: marycomegetsomeham on August 19, 2014, 11:09:22 am
well, two guys that might help at de is juco d lawrence and a true freshmen named Raashed Kennion. kennion isnt ready to just leave in there but on passing downs he has really flashed. he is a 6-5 to 6-6 guy with long arms.  but he is only about 225 and needs to fill out. he apparently can get to the outside. but i doubt this will be a game for him.
having said that auburn will utilize its star hybrid lb different then last year. this guy is not as good in coverage as therezie but he is much better at blitzing and playing the run. pass rush will have to come from de owens and star lb garrett.

Agreed.  Like I said, they should be better against the run.

marycomegetsomeham

but arkansas will improve as well and they ran on Auburn last year. will they be a better run d, yes. but ark is an exceptional running team.

Al Boarland

Quote from: marycomegetsomeham on August 19, 2014, 11:18:34 am
but arkansas will improve as well and they ran on Auburn last year. will they be a better run d, yes. but ark is an exceptional running team.

Absolutely. 

HogFanatic

Several Arkansas fans, including myself, fully expect Arkansas to give Auburn all they want and then some. I think Arkansas not only covers the spread, but wins the ball game.

What say you? I mean, as an Auburn fan I don't expect you to expect defeat at the hands of a team that didn't win a single conference game, but wouldn't you think the spread at 21 is a little, um, ridiculous?

trashcan maN

Our OL won in the trenches. So did Auburns. Both of our DL lost.

Is it that hard to put that together? Honest question, Solomwi.

jgphillips3

Our OL will more than hold their own against Auburn's DL.  It should be like a great heavyweight fight with each fighter landing big shots.  Where the game will be won or lost is the matchup of Auburn's OL against our DL.  I think our OL versus their DL is a push but their OL against our DL should be advantage Auburn.  How our back 7 play will determine whether or not we have a chance to win or not.  If they play over their heads, this could be a heck of a game.  If both teams just do what they can with nobody doing anything special, it's a 14 point victory for Auburn.  Hopefully, we bring something special for game one.

bennyl08

Will Auburn improve from having the worst pass defense in the SEC? If so, why?

While most should agree that Coates is a good receiver, what evidence is there to say that their JUCO receiver will be any good? Especially if all he has had to work against is the worst pass defense in the SEC?

Similarly, how has Marshall looked in the passing game? Given your teams lack of a pass rush apparently, has the team purposefully had missed assignments to see what Marshall can do under pressure? Has his accuracy improved? Is he going through progressions well, or is he asked to just do first read or run?

I know Auburn is rated preseason as having a good OL, though the only really good player I can name off the top of my head is Dismukes, the center. Who are the other best players and who are the weakest players on the OL?

Does auburn have a TE that should be worried about?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

GoHogs1091

Is Ellis Johnson going to get the Points per Game that his Defense allowed last season down to a better level?

It cost them their LSU game and Florida State game last season, and it should have cost them their Georgia and Alabama games last season (two flukeish aspects was the determining factor as to why Auburn won those 2 games and it overcame Johnson's sieve PPG allowed by his Defense).

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 19, 2014, 06:08:58 pm
Several Arkansas fans, including myself, fully expect Arkansas to give Auburn all they want and then some. I think Arkansas not only covers the spread, but wins the ball game.

What say you? I mean, as an Auburn fan I don't expect you to expect defeat at the hands of a team that didn't win a single conference game, but wouldn't you think the spread at 21 is a little, um, ridiculous?
BB really puts a lot Ito this game. His team feels it and they came to play last year. Listening to player interviews before the nc game dl gabe wright said something to the affect that ask anyone and they will tell you Arkansas was the most physical game. I remember a goal line stop and a turnover off the top of my head that turned the game a bit away from the game plan. Arkansas will move the ball. Can the limit explosive plays from auburn and keep bb's game plan I. Play? I think it's close till the end and I think AU BY 14.

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 19, 2014, 07:52:09 pm
Will Auburn improve from having the worst pass defense in the SEC? If so, why?

While most should agree that Coates is a good receiver, what evidence is there to say that their JUCO receiver will be any good? Especially if all he has had to work against is the worst pass defense in the SEC?

Similarly, how has Marshall looked in the passing game? Given your teams lack of a pass rush apparently, has the team purposefully had missed assignments to see what Marshall can do under pressure? Has his accuracy improved? Is he going through progressions well, or is he asked to just do first read or run?

I know Auburn is rated preseason as having a good OL, though the only really good player I can name off the top of my head is Dismukes, the center. Who are the other best players and who are the weakest players on the OL?

Does auburn have a TE that should be worried about?
I think AUburn will get better play from its db's as a group but get less pressure on a qb. So maybe about the same?

The juco wide receiver , guys it's true he is really really good. He is nfl ready now. He is a one and done. Very physical and very explosive. He is so much like Julio jones it's scary. I know that sounds like fanboy but I really believe he will be the highest rated player taken from Auburn in the draft.

It is believed Marshall has improved passing. But the guy you guys will see the most is Johnson. I believe Marshall might be out for the whole game. Johnson can run the ball. He throws a tight spiral.

The ol. Losing Kozan was a big blow. Returning starter og slade was possibly going to lose his job to young, a converted ot.  But when Koran got hurt they slid him over to that guard slot. He played all year last year but IMO slade at lg is the weak spot. Kozan was a huge loss.

AU doesn't use te's the same way as ark. CJ uzomah will flex out and hes a good player. He can be a match up problem for a backer and safety.

Overall the defense will not be any worse but the offense will be a little better and more balanced.

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 19, 2014, 07:57:55 pm
Is Ellis Johnson going to get the Points per Game that his Defense allowed last season down to a better level?

It cost them their LSU game and Florida State game last season, and it should have cost them their Georgia and Alabama games last season (two flukeish aspects was the determining factor as to why Auburn won those 2 games and it overcame Johnson's sieve PPG allowed by his Defense).

I don't expect big gains but maybe a little. I hope anyway.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Solomwi on August 19, 2014, 05:59:43 pm
That wasn't a win since Auburn outrushed you with 233 yards on 46 attempts.

Wait....the 2 OLs were going against each other? Is that possible?

I think it is safe to say that both team's OL "won" in the trenches last year.

bp

trashcan maN

Quote from: Solomwi on August 20, 2014, 07:41:58 am
Somewhat true, but Arkansas threw out the kitchen sink, while Auburn kept it to the bare bones minimum and still won. That is domination.
Our QB had half of his shoulder hanging off. Auburn was clearly the better team, but don't act like we were opening up some world-beating playbook against you.

Also, doesn't Auburn always run a pretty basic scheme on offense?

trashcan maN

Good stuff from estuman and marycomegetmeham. Appreciate the perspective. I'm scared of the WR, but I don't think your OL will manhandle our DL.

I like mary's prediction. Close into the 4th and we lose by 10-14.

trashcan maN

We saw two 1st round WR last year @LSU and shut them down until we tore Mettenberger's knee up :/

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: estuman on August 20, 2014, 09:43:52 am

No they have a base play (where you can run 4 different things out of it) ...
this is where you'll see the fake dive, fake reverse, pass or run  ..... That's what they did
a lot against Arkansas last year. That and the Zone read ....

But I think Gus is giddy to throw with the WRs they have.

Don't forget that their defense spends a lot of time on the field. A few teams played them close by not letting it get away in the first half and pounding the ball in the second half, keeping possesion and AU's defense on the field. Its not like AU blew everyone out last year.
This is my non-signature signature.

hawginbigd1

Maybe i missed it but didn't see any mention of Chris Davis missing from their secondary which wasn't great last year. i think they take a step back on defense missing Davis and Lawson. I think we beat them if we can control the QB run game. We will score 31+.

trashcan maN

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 20, 2014, 10:05:02 am
Maybe i missed it but didn't see any mention of Chris Davis missing from their secondary which wasn't great last year. i think they take a step back on defense missing Davis and Lawson. I think we beat them if we can control the QB run game. We will score 31+.
Therezie and Mincy also in question

trashcan maN

Quote from: marycomegetsomeham on August 19, 2014, 09:52:57 pm

I believe Marshall might be out for the whole game.
Marshall is the Heisman front-runner. No way he sits.