Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting athletes with high character

Started by greenie, August 18, 2014, 06:48:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenie

As far as I know, we haven't had any serious issues with our team since CBB really took control of this team.  I'm referring to things like drugs, assaults, arrests, academic fraud, etc. I know he hasn't been here very long, but it seems that there's stuff happening at virtually every other big program in the country, and certainly in the SEC.  Too what can we attribute this lack of issues over the past year?

Can it be attributed to the way this staff runs the program?

Can it be attributed to an emphasis on recruiting players that at least appear to be of high character?

Have there been issues that have gone mostly unreported so that the average joe (like me) hasn't really noticed?

Have we just been lucky so far?

bxw21

At first I thought it was getting high character guys, but there are still a lot of players left from the previous staff.  If the stuff at Alabama can't get swept under the rug, then I'll assume it's hard to do it here as well.  So, I'm betting it has a lot to do with the way coach B and the staff run the program.

Kyle

I like to think of them as the products of good parenting.

redeye

I'm going with the first 2.  I think Bielema wants high character players and won't put up with any that fail to live up to that standard.

Hawg_Thai'd

A look at AC's suspension from team activities earlier this year should serve as what is expected and what happens when expectations are not met. Alex seems to be a truly good guy, but failed to carry out some of his duties and got suspended for a week from activities. Now, when things like that happen, it allows for others to catch up. Like Korliss moving up the ladder. Playing time is earned in this program and Coach is filling up with players who will do what it takes to get on the field. I get the feeling of there are no entitled players. They earn everything. I like the way things are going. Good job, Coach.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

blu

Agree with above post - things off the field seem to be in the better shape than they have been in quite some time. Now we need to turn that into W's on the field.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

twistitup

It's more about setting expectations and being consistent - 'good character' is a very grey area in my opinion.

One of the best things was BB tossing Flynn off the team, that got the player's attention and they know it could happen to them too.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawg_Thai'd

You're right, Twist. What I might consider good character you may consider riff-raff. Let's take drinking, for example. Some college students drink at parties. Some end up alcoholics. Its knowing which recruits are the ones who can control themselves and stay focused on why they are there. My dad taught me that you can get a pretty good idea about a person just by looking at their circle of friends. Also their home-life and how they were raised i.e. parents supported their activities/didn't support them, parents attitudes, etc.

I have said it a few times on here, but I'll say it again: Although I have never met them, I believe B. Jackson has some wonderful parents. Just the way he carries himself and his attitude shows that he was not only taught right from wrong, but morals and virtues were instilled in him.

I also think kids' Twitter and Facebook are an indicator of their personality and what kind of a person they are. Blows my mind how some kids can tweet and re-tweet N* this and N* that and then send out something about God bless me and retweet if you love God.

secneahog

It's called having a staff that recruits the right way.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Kyle on August 18, 2014, 07:41:20 pm
I like to think of them as the products of good parenting.

Bingo.  Meeting the parents tells you almost everything you need to know about their kid.

I trust this staff to read the situation well and know who to go after and who to stay away from.  You can't bring a bad influence into the locker room!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 19, 2014, 02:36:27 pm
Bingo.  Meeting the parents tells you almost everything you need to know about their kid.

I trust this staff to read the situation well and know who to go after and who to stay away from.  You can't bring a bad influence into the locker room!
Wait a minute: who says you can't bring a bad influence into the locker room?! "Big Game Bob" and "St. Augustus" have proven you CAN time and time again.

alaskanhog

I like the way recruiting is going.  We haven't had any off the field problems to speak of, but we are also are recruiting kids that are smart enough to understand the mental aspect of the game.  We have relied too much on athleticism in the past.  When you listen to the players in interviews, they are always talking about fundamentals and learning their reads.  It is a nice change to hear how well spoken they are.  Some people say too much importance is put on recruiting high character athletes because it doesn't equate to wins.  I think the wins will come because we will have smarter players, better depth through less attrition, and players who respect and trust each other's intelligence.   

twistitup

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 19, 2014, 02:36:27 pm

?

Have you ever known the children of a preacher?

It's not a myth...
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Paul

Quote from: alaskanhog on August 19, 2014, 05:27:36 pm
I like the way recruiting is going.  We haven't had any off the field problems to speak of, but we are also are recruiting kids that are smart enough to understand the mental aspect of the game.  We have relied too much on athleticism in the past.  When you listen to the players in interviews, they are always talking about fundamentals and learning their reads.  It is a nice change to hear how well spoken they are.  Some people say too much importance is put on recruiting high character athletes because it doesn't equate to wins.  I think the wins will come because we will have smarter players, better depth through less attrition, and players who respect and trust each other's intelligence.
agree & it's not happenstance

Styflin

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on August 18, 2014, 10:25:16 pm
A look at AC's suspension from team activities earlier this year should serve as what is expected and what happens when expectations are not met. Alex seems to be a truly good guy, but failed to carry out some of his duties and got suspended for a week from activities. Now, when things like that happen, it allows for others to catch up. Like Korliss moving up the ladder. Playing time is earned in this program and Coach is filling up with players who will do what it takes to get on the field. I get the feeling of there are no entitled players. They earn everything. I like the way things are going. Good job, Coach.

AC was suspended for being late and had a valid reason for tardiness.  Bret suspended him anyway due to the rules and he didn't want players to think AC got special treatment. Korliss Marshall was also suspended.

Hoggish1

Quote from: twistitup on August 19, 2014, 07:40:04 pm
?

Have you ever known the children of a preacher?

It's not a myth...

Yep.  Married one.  I guess it all depends upon the denomination.  Some are more repressed than others and then act out when they get on their own...  ;)

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Styflin on August 20, 2014, 06:11:21 am
AC was suspended for being late and had a valid reason for tardiness.  Bret suspended him anyway due to the rules and he didn't want players to think AC got special treatment. Korliss Marshall was also suspended.

There have been others suspended as well. My point is that there are no entitled players. If there was valid reasons for tardiness, I don't think he would have been suspended. Maybe it was less severe because of circumstances, but I highly doubt Coach didn't take all things into consideration. But whatever the case may be, ALL the players follow the same rules whether they are a walk-on or a 5* stud.

gmarv

maybe its a doubled edged sword thing. recruit quality kids and  set rules that they can understand will be inforced. i really like the way things are going.i expect us to be competive this year and only get better from here. wps

greenie

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days now and I can't believe that we haven't had any "pure luck" or "boys will be boys, and you can't change that" or "if we had some of those issues, we'd be winning".  I'm a firm believer that there is no excellence without accountability.  Although we don't have excellence yet, we certainly appear to have accountability.  Maybe this is one of the reasons I could never make it as a big time coach, but I certainly am endorsing what I've seen thus far. 

I certainly hope we have a strong showing at Auburn.  If we don't, the lynch mobs will start gathering.  Regardless, I'm in for at least 2 more years of this approach to building a program.

fakebobholt

5-7 with kids that arent as talented but dont get in trouble or 10-2 with arrest about as many as auburn.

Im not saying this is how we will end up rather would you take the 10-2 or settle for 5-7 as long as we didnt have any kids arrested. I know what I am taking, hire a top notch lawyer and playoff here we come.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 20, 2014, 09:55:12 pm
5-7 with kids that arent as talented but dont get in trouble or 10-2 with arrest about as many as auburn.

Im not saying this is how we will end up rather would you take the 10-2 or settle for 5-7 as long as we didnt have any kids arrested. I know what I am taking, hire a top notch lawyer and playoff here we come.

This depends on what the interests are: winning football games or producing outstanding college graduates that will make an impact beyond the glory days of college football. I want our team to win as much as anyone, but I would much rather see someone come from nothing and get a scholarship and a free education and have a better life and be able to provide for their family easier. If students are "cheated" from responsibilities all in the name of winning football games, how is that good? I love watching CFB and I love supporting the Razorbacks, but in the grand scheme of life, I wish success on the students.

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16