Hawg Red

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

The Hogfather

seasonhog

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 18, 2014, 01:38:13 pm
No.
Then this is good for Lee, null for Arkansas.

Unless CMA gets some recruiters, we won't get over the hump.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Mick Hogger

One of my favorite Hogs ever. Heard he was back to get his degree. A recruiter or not, this is nothing but positive for the Hogs.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 18, 2014, 01:43:18 pm

Always good to have former players around the program and it shows recruits (hopefully pointed out by the coaches) that there will be opportunities like these available to them after their playing career is over. Shows them that there truly is a family atmosphere and they're always welcome, not just when they're playing for the university.

Also, he is an assistant, after all. And many would say the greatest PG ever to don a Razorback uniform. I think he could find a way to have a positive impact on our guards, no?

wholehog92

As I mentioned on the topic elsewhere, Todd Day is coaching a traditional power house in Memphis.  Mayberry will get his shot at recruiting.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Swinesong1

Saw this coming after Coach Richardson mentioned in an interview that Lee was coming back for a degree.  The question is as a student assistant, how much "recruiting" is he allowed to do?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: wholehog92 on August 18, 2014, 02:13:45 pm
As I mentioned on the topic elsewhere, Todd Day is coaching a traditional power house in Memphis.  Mayberry will get his shot at recruiting.

That would certainly be a plus...As always,thanks for posting it IceMan.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

mhuff

Said some time ago.... I would have a staff member from OK. Tulsa in particular, and one from Memphis and La. or Texas. I am quite positive MA was listening to me.  ;D

I think this is a great addition.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 18, 2014, 02:04:23 pm
Always good to have former players around the program and it shows recruits (hopefully pointed out by the coaches) that there will be opportunities like these available to them after their playing career is over. Shows them that there truly is a family atmosphere and they're always welcome, not just when they're playing for the university.

Also, he is an assistant, after all. And many would say the greatest PG ever to don a Razorback uniform. I think he could find a way to have a positive impact on our guards, no?

The_Iceman

Does Mayberry have a son or nephew the Hogs are trying to recruit? Because according to some experts on here, that is the only way a guy like him could get a GA spot on the team (see Marcus Monk).

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2014, 02:38:22 pm
Does Mayberry have a son or nephew the Hogs are trying to recruit? Because according to some experts on here, that is the only way a guy like him could get a GA spot on the team (see Marcus Monk).

Embellish much? Or are you just looking to derail a pretty positive thread?

Glad the program could capitalize on Mayberry's return to continue his education.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

McKdaddy

Love this news.  The Tulsa Razorback Club has tried for years to get Lee to attend one of our 3 annual events.  We know he doesn't want to speak, but would like to recognize him and his Hog career.  His wife Marla, sometimes responds to me that "I think this will be the time (she) can get him to come."  We've honored Lee via Marla (she's attended and will stand in for him) before, ha/ha.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

mhuff

August 18, 2014, 03:03:28 pm #17 Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:22:27 pm by mhuff

Really hope we can get the whole family tree. However, Mayberry or Day would both be great additions on their own merit. Still, if they did anything to recruit, it would be an improvement. I am disappointed that Day has not been active in sending us Memphis players.

Mayberry= humility at its finest.

poloprince

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 18, 2014, 01:43:18 pm

Last I checked grad assistants didn't recruit.
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

Quote from: poloprince on August 18, 2014, 03:24:07 pm
Last I checked grad assistants didn't recruit.

Not saying that you are not right ,but I believe I have read where some FB grad assistants were given credit for recruiting.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on August 18, 2014, 03:39:56 pm
Not saying that you are not right ,but I believe I have read where some FB grad assistants were given credit for recruiting.

They don't go off campus, but they do "communicate" with the recruits.

HawgnCorona

That strategy would work best for Coach Jimmy D...5 girls I think I heard Nolan say?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 18, 2014, 02:43:34 pm
Embellish much?

Not really.

Quote from: root_hawg on July 16, 2014, 08:40:08 pm
Sorry Marcus isn't hired if his brother isn't who he is.

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 17, 2014, 10:31:59 am
Marcus most likely wouldn't be a GA had it not been for his younger brother. That's the popular perception, and there's little evidence to say otherwise.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mhuff on August 18, 2014, 03:03:28 pm
Really hope we can get the whole family tree. However, Mayberry or Day would both be great additions on their own merit. Still, if they did anything to recruit, it would be an improvement. I am disappointed that Day has not been active in sending us Memphis players.

Mayberry= humility at its finest.

Mayberry will be a great addition. Glad to see him going back to school and that we are able to add him to the staff. He is more than qualified.

Smithian

Lee Mayberry was a four year starter for the Razorback basketball team, a first round NBA draft pick, played six years in the league, and is an NBA scout.

Marcus Monk was a good receiver for Razorback football and didn't pursue his basketball dreams until his NFL attempt fell short.

The situations aren't the same.

Be happy about adding an NBA veteran and scout to staff, don't try to compare it to another hire.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2014, 04:23:18 pm
Not really.

that is the only way

I see that "most likely" and "perception" aren't part of your every day vocab. Sweet derailment of your own thread though. Perhaps one day you'll put your condescension to proper use.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: Smithian on August 18, 2014, 04:26:28 pm
Lee Mayberry was a four year starter for the Razorback basketball team, a first round NBA draft pick, played six years in the league, and is an NBA scout.

Marcus Monk was a good receiver for Razorback football and didn't pursue his basketball dreams until his NFL attempt fell short.

The situations aren't the same.

Be happy about adding an NBA veteran and scout to staff, don't try to compare it to another hire.

Oh, I am super happy about adding Mayberry, just as I was for Marcus. In both cases, you get someone who has college and professional experience playing the sport, which you don't get much in a GA. It was, and will be with Mayberry, a nice addition to the program.

I just don't get why there was such skepticism toward Marcus joining the staff, yet only praise and congratulations for Lee. There should be no negative reactions towards either. Both came back later in life to pursue a graduate education, and were given the chance to contribute to the staff in the process.

mhuff

Iceman only made reference to Marcus cause there was some DH who made it sound like we were doing something shady. Look there is a lot of ignorance going around....anyone can basically say anything they want. Just because one person is a miscreant does not mean all are.

I am just thankful for the report and a quality hire. Perhaps when he finishes his education he can be hired on a continuous basis. Hey, maybe we can recruit all of his daughters!!!!!!!!!!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: mhuff on August 18, 2014, 05:20:03 pm
Iceman only made reference to Marcus cause there was some DH who made it sound like we were doing something shady. Look there is a lot of ignorance going around....anyone can basically say anything they want. Just because one person is a miscreant does not mean all are.

I am just thankful for the report and a quality hire. Perhaps when he finishes his education he can be hired on a continuous basis. Hey, maybe we can recruit all of his daughters!!!!!!!!!!

Well its a little late on Taleya. Spent 4 yrs at Tulsa...

porkinsons disease

Love this move. One of my favorite Hogs ever. maybe the "name recognition" will add a boost to recruiting.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

mhuff

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 18, 2014, 05:41:16 pm
Well its a little late on Taleya. Spent 4 yrs at Tulsa...

+1

You would have to burst my bubble.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: mhuff on August 18, 2014, 05:55:33 pm
+1

You would have to burst my bubble.

Hey, the womens team could have used here...I remembered when she signed with Tulsa wondering why Collins didnt go after her. She had come close to being drafted in the WNBA.

Not meant to bust your bubble, man. Just didn't want you thinking 5 were still available. Haha!!

So I gave you one,eh!

tophawg19

mayberry should be a great addition , i think our PG position should benefit from having one of the best helping out . especially in the mental game
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Rooster Hogburn

Mayberry is a great addition to the staff. He will be a great mentor to the young fellas, and his assistance with talent evaluation and game film breakdowns will be invaluable.

Plus, as a fellow student he can show them how to get it done in the classroom.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

intelligence

Achog legend as a GA. Very cool. Maybe he can mentor the pgs good enough to get a full time gig.

That's what's so great about the Nolan Richardson coaching tree. All his former players have stayed close and they are sort of like a big family, amd one of them could potentially be a successor to Mike. I think we are very fortunate in this aspect. His legacy to our university has continued to grow with time, and I think that as Mike forges his legacy as a head coach of the hogs another former razorback could carry the torch when he leaves or retires

dhornjr1

Great to see one of my all-time favorite Hogs back on the staff in some capacity.

poloprince

MA says he isn't allowed to recruit, but can take part in all other coaching duties. So there you have it. You can choose to believe it or not.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

HOGINTENNESSEE

GA's can recruit via Phone and Twitter. However, Mayberry isn't a GA. Going for his undergrad

TulsaJack32

Has he actually moved his family to Fayetteville?  I know he has a pretty nice place in Tulsa and I believe 2 daughters still in school.  One is at BTW with a very solid basketball group.  Lee and his 2 oldest daughters have won state championships here.  Put a Mayberry on the court and they win state titles.   

jesterzzn

My favorite Razorback of all time.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: TulsaJack32 on August 19, 2014, 10:15:26 pm
Has he actually moved his family to Fayetteville?  I know he has a pretty nice place in Tulsa and I believe 2 daughters still in school.  One is at BTW with a very solid basketball group.  Lee and his 2 oldest daughters have won state championships here.  Put a Mayberry on the court and they win state titles.   
He has moved them to Fayetteville.  Daughter #3 is enrolled as a soph.  Daughter #4 is enrolled at Ramay Junior High and #5 is in elementary.

For those that don't know, he has five kids and they're all girls.

Maximus Tusk

Foshodo

Quote from: mhuff on August 18, 2014, 02:24:08 pm
Said some time ago.... I would have a staff member from OK. Tulsa in particular, and one from Memphis and La. or Texas. I am quite positive MA was listening to me.  ;D

I think this is a great addition.

Rotneys moving back to Fayetteville to get married, right? Give him a shopping spree at the new balance store and sign him up!!!

rusvegashog

OMG, I just pee'd myself. I can not believe what I've just read. Been off the sight for a couple weeks and I come back to news of Jimmy Whitt and now my favorite Hog of all time is rejoining the program that he helped build. Dang right it was a good day!!! And did I read where Todd Day had taken a better gig? Last I researched the program he was at was a mediocre program at best. If this true then it appears the stars are aligning.

waphill

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 19, 2014, 10:26:25 pm
For those that don't know, he has five kids and they're all girls.

Man, he must be one tough SOB!

Pork Twain

August 25, 2014, 04:05:55 pm #45 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:41:04 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: The_Iceman on August 18, 2014, 04:41:43 pm
I just don't get why there was such skepticism toward Marcus joining the staff, yet only praise and congratulations for Lee. There should be no negative reactions towards either. Both came back later in life to pursue a graduate education, and were given the chance to contribute to the staff in the process.
Come on man...  Lee >>>  Monk when it comes to Hog basketball.

Maybe you should stick with trolling HA
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/