Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rutgers run blitz!

Started by razorbackfanatic, August 16, 2014, 12:54:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfanatic

One thing that I've been thinking about or that's been stuck in the back of my head is the Rutgers run blitz defense. Remember how good they were against the run last season? They have a unique way of stopping the run with blitzes and it was one of the best run defenses in the country. How much of that was a leftover idea/scheme from Robb Smiths time there and how much of that was their new DC last season? I've really thought about that a lot. Plus with our new aggressive more man to man approach in the secondary and the improvements in guys like Tevin Mitchell, Carroll Washington etc, this could give our nice Pass rush defensive line just enough time to get to the QB or make it uncomfortable when they try to play action pass or just pass normally. Have y'all thought about that?

PorkRinds

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on August 16, 2014, 12:54:29 pm
One thing that I've been thinking about or that's been stuck in the back of my head is the Rutgers run blitz defense. Remember how good they were against the run last season? They have a unique way of stopping the run with blitzes and it was one of the best run defenses in the country. How much of that was a leftover idea/scheme from Robb Smiths time there and how much of that was their new DC last season? I've really thought about that a lot. Plus with our new aggressive more man to man approach in the secondary and the improvements in guys like Tevin Mitchell, Carroll Washington etc, this could give our nice Pass rush defensive line just enough time to get to the QB or make it uncomfortable when they try to play action pass or just pass normally. Have y'all thought about that?

He wasn't their coach last season.  Doubt it had much to do with his scheme. Could be, but doubtful.

Hogeration

Got to have confidence in secondary to do that.

razorbackfanatic

I know he wasn't last season, that's why I said how much of that was left over from Robb Smith?

trashcan maN

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on August 16, 2014, 01:01:53 pm
I know he wasn't last season, that's why I said how much of that was left over from Robb Smith?
Don't know about the X's and the O's, but he schemed up a top 5 defense nationally during the year he was there.

eric_mullins34

Robb Smith's defense at Rutgers only allowed 14 points a game in 2012, compared to almost 30 points per game in 2013 after he left.  Even though they were good against the run last year, allowing a little over 100 yards per game, they were still better in 2012 with Smith's defense only allowing 97 per game.  I would say its safe to say a lot of their run stopping ability was left over from Smith's tenure there.
Calling the Hogs from NEA!

LZH

I don't recall much of last year's fiasco, but I can say one thing about the 2012 game - Rutgers was well-coached, on both sides of the ball.

razorbackfanatic

Yes they were awesome, and they imploded by the end of the season last year and fired his replacement. I'm very excited about coach Smith and he's been extremely successful everywhere so far that he's been except for last season in the NFL but u can't really blame that on him.

razorbackfanatic

Quote from: eric_mullins34 on August 16, 2014, 01:10:42 pm
Robb Smith's defense at Rutgers only allowed 14 points a game in 2012, compared to almost 30 points per game in 2013 after he left.  Even though they were good against the run last year, allowing a little over 100 yards per game, they were still better in 2012 with Smith's defense only allowing 97 per game.  I would say its safe to say a lot of their run stopping ability was left over from Smith's tenure there.

+1 I agree totally.

razorbackfanatic

Now the 2012 game was where Cobi broke an SEC single game receiving record but Rutgers really didn't have the speed to compete with SEC studs like Hamilton and Wilson, or at least they weren't ready to that day, but they still won the game. JLS had just lost to ULM. I think coach Smith is a great mind and I do believe the run defense success Rutgers had early on last season was something leftover and instilled by him.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: eric_mullins34 on August 16, 2014, 01:10:42 pm

Last year they had to replace most of their secondary, that was their weak-spot and the reason their defense was worse after Smith left. Unfortunately , we couldn't capitalize on it. Their secondary last year gave up the most passing yards in school history. They gave up an average of 312 yards/game through the air. Arkansas only passed for 182.
   More on topic though, Dave Cohen their D Coordinator last year was the LB coach under Robb Smith at Rutgers for a year. I would suspect some of the concepts remained after Smith left.

razorbackfanatic

Yeah I totally agree! I love this hire! We'll see on the field soon and u can't go off the outcome of the Auburn game and let it make up your mind or predict your expectations of the whole season, bc like we've all said before GM has had all off season to throw some new wrinkles at us and his offense actually is probably better suited against aggressive defenses bc they are so good at misdirection especially with Marshall at QB. Not saying we are gonna lose to Auburn but the odds are stacked. I'm all in, and i believe we definitely can win! WPS!

jabohog

In my opinion, the only reason Rutgers won the home and home is because of our defense. Kobi lit them up for enough to win first game and we had a big enough lead at there house even with Derby at QB to beat them. Just couldn't stop them when it mattered in either game. Defense was the biggest of the many reasons we lost so much last year. Coach Smith is going to run a scheme we will all probably like better than last years. I don't know if that and any improvement in players is going to mean more wins. We still have a lot of the same players, let's just hope the ball bounces our way this year instead of being snake bit like last year.

TheRazorback500

A more aggressive defensive scheme could affect the decision-making of Marshall (or Johnson) and maybe cause a turnover or two. Last year they ran wild because the QBs had so much time to think about what they were doing. IMO their OL shouldn't be quite as proficient, especially for the first game. We all agree that we're due some good luck :razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Cartoon Man

It should be like night and day this year.   Can't wait.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on August 16, 2014, 12:54:29 pm

Nightly, With a bottle of lotion and a hand full of tissue... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

chitwnhog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 16, 2014, 09:00:43 pm

At a medium pace...

jabohog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 16, 2014, 09:00:43 pm
Come on now, you are exaggerating a little bit aren't you, a HAND FULL of tissue?

razorbackfanatic

Lol, this season can't get here soon enough! #Go Hogs Go