Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Illustrated article on Petrino claims he threw Bobby Allen to the ground

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 16, 2014, 09:40:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: PorkerOinker on August 16, 2014, 02:25:06 pm
Why would SI care or want to distract that we are on a 12 game losing streak in the SEC???

Don't you know, because of the play it would get on HV.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Hogeration on August 16, 2014, 01:11:45 pm
Video of, as Wally says, the former coach of Indiana choking a player.  Rutgers coach on video hitting and throwing balls at players.

I guess it depends on what schools you watch.  In areas where the players come from gangs or the streets, sometimes a little more "encouragement" is necessary.  It also depends on how old the coach is/was.  The older coaches I had were much more likely to toss a few players around.  Never saw one player disciplined in that way walk off the field though.
Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on August 16, 2014, 02:10:01 pm
So what you are saying is the inner city kids might need a little more roughing up....while our corn fed white boys are the more tame type, therefore no authoritative figure is needed? Is that what you are saying? Because needs more "encouragement" sure sounds like it.

Wow

PRJ

I would think both of these post would be deleted.  Inappropriate and not at all in line with the topic at hand.  Jmo.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on August 16, 2014, 02:27:03 pm
SI just wants to make money, however the two staffers probably made it up to deflect what may be another year of losing

The two staffers were just asked to confirm the story, they didn't write it. I have no idea if this story is true or not and really don't care, but I don't think it was written on anyway to try to deflect from our football struggles the last two years.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

moses_007

Seems like I remember Tyler Wilson was threatening to leave the program as a junior since Petrino was constantly yelling and cursing at him.  No player could have really pleased Petrino.  They all gave him their very best, and coach never felt it was good enough.

Hogustus Caesar

Why publish this story now? Another shot at bp? Arkansas has CBB now. New season about to start. Trying to remind folks of how bp was? The season can't start soon enough.
I liked bp. I support CBB 100%. Let's move forward. Go Hogs.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

razorbackkid

Quote from: FayettenamSam on August 16, 2014, 03:14:59 pm
Why publish this story now? Another shot at bp? Arkansas has CBB now. New season about to start. Trying to remind folks of how bp was? The season can't start soon enough.
I liked bp. I support CBB 100%. Let's move forward. Go Hogs.
Amen.  +1
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 16, 2014, 02:33:59 pm
I would think both of these post would be deleted.  Inappropriate and not at all in line with the topic at hand.  Jmo.

If he posts his diatribe, I am going to call him on it. Because you know exactly where his statement was going.

PRJ

hoglady

Quote from: moses_007 on August 16, 2014, 03:08:08 pm
Seems like I remember Tyler Wilson was threatening to leave the program as a junior since Petrino was constantly yelling and cursing at him.  No player could have really pleased Petrino.  They all gave him their very best, and coach never felt it was good enough.

Tyler may not have liked Petrino - but he was a better QB under BP than I've seen him since. He may just be a guy that being mad brings out the best in him.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkerOinker on August 16, 2014, 02:25:06 pm
Why would SI care or want to distract that we are on a 12 game losing streak in the SEC???

Are you kidding?  SI doesn't care about any story they print just how many hog fans will buy the mag to read about mean ole Bobby.  Which one of you were the first to the local 7-11 to buy one?

Cinco de Hogo

Throwing around these days would be grabbing an out of place player and walking him to the correct place.  That's straight home to mommy to complain.

secfan30

Maybe Allen was sitting down when/if it happened. Don't see Petrino being able to do that any other way.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: hoglady on August 16, 2014, 10:02:08 am
MountieDawg has a point.
Whatever happened wasn't bad enough to stop him from sending Brandon and Austin to play for Petrino.

Defend, defend, defend................

IntegrityHog

Bobby Petrino is an integrous jerk.  I am glad that we don't have to worry about this kind of thing with Brett and Jeff running the show.

reddogjcss

Petrino is a turd and all the good wins he set our program back 4years.

WilsonHog

I once knew a high school line coach who, when a player jumped offside in practice, kicked him in the ass. His mom came to complain, and the coach said, "Your son messed up so I kicked him in his ass. The next time he messes up, I'm going to kick him in his ass again."

Based on some responses in this thread, I'm sure we have posters who would be all for that.

Unless it was their son.

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 16, 2014, 04:58:15 pm
I once knew a high school line coach who, when a player jumped offside in practice, kicked him in the ass. His mom came to complain, and the coach said, "Your son messed up so I kicked him in his ass. The next time he messes up, I'm going to kick him in his ass again."

Based on some responses in this thread, I'm sure we have posters who would be all for that.

Unless it was their son.

Although that's pretty silly, I don't see where it's gonna physically hurt anybody.  This IS football, and if coached hard, football teaches kids what happens if you act like a p***y in real life.  Personally, I'd want my boy tougher than anyone out there.......not the opposite.

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 16, 2014, 04:58:15 pm

Unless it was their son.
People who think they must use physical abuse to convince others aren't very good with words.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on August 16, 2014, 03:44:27 pm
If he posts his diatribe, I am going to call him on it. Because you know exactly where his statement was going.

PRJ
I have most always appreciated your insight and what you bring.  This just seemed a bit outside the lines of the subject at hand. 

I may well be wrong.  I meant no disrespect.

:razorback:

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PorkerOinker on August 16, 2014, 02:16:21 pm
Mike do you have time to tell the story of the guy standing up to Petrino again? Or what thread it can be found in?
Petrino gave conflicting instructions to a couple of athletic department employees on something he wanted done. Basically he said one thing to one guy and later changed his mind and told another guy to do something else.

The first guy came along after the second guy and undid his work not knowing that Petrino had changed his mind.

When Petrino found out he jumped their boss telling the man to give him one good reason why he should not be fired. They were standing outside a restroom. Their boss looked Petrino straight in the eye, pointed at the restroom door and said, "If you want to blame somebody go in there and look in the mirror."

Petrino never raised his voice to the man again and he's still employed at the BAC.

I confirmed this story with the man in question.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Mike Irwin

Quote from: LZH on August 16, 2014, 05:31:44 pm
Although that's pretty silly, I don't see where it's gonna physically hurt anybody.  This IS football, and if coached hard, football teaches kids what happens if you act like a p***y in real life.  Personally, I'd want my boy tougher than anyone out there.......not the opposite.
I don't have a problem with a coach slinging players around as long as it's okay for the players to do the same to the coach.

Good coaches don't need to put their hands on their players to get their message across.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Karma on August 16, 2014, 05:37:14 pm
People who think they must use physical abuse to convince others aren't very good with words.

I never saw the value in screaming at a player, much less putting my hands on him. I preferred to teach.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 16, 2014, 05:51:43 pm
I never saw the value in screaming at a player, much less putting my hands on him. I preferred to teach.

Probably why you are on a message board and not on the sidelines.  8)

Sorry, couldn't resist :)
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: LZH on August 16, 2014, 05:31:44 pm

Exactly......but we don't want to raise tough kids anymore. We want them to be kinder, gentler souls who turn the other cheek, who do not think for themselves, but think the way everybody else thinks. Like robots. They learn this from school as the standardized way of teaching is drummed into them through teachers who are following the orders of administrators and pilot cians.

I had a teacher, history teacher in fact who showed us the most brutal pictures of abortions you had ever seen. Today that man would be fired for his method of teaching, which wasn't by textbooks or what he was told to teach by some jackass school administrator, he taught lessons about right and wrong and how the world was tough and that a wholesale genocide of the unborn was just that.... a genocide. I thank God every day that he taught me that.

The youth of today needs a swift kick in the ass, damn near all of them. You bring back the paddle and no nonsense coaches and things might change. This world ain't easy if you're gonna make it, you gotta be tough. So unless you plan on naming your boy Sue, you better hop he is surrounded by tough minded role models.

Next thing you know, these peoples will be wanting to ban boot camp in the military...cuz they are too mean.

Some of y'all need to grow a set.

PRJ

razorbackkid

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 16, 2014, 05:43:09 pm
Petrino gave conflicting instructions to a couple of athletic department employees on something he wanted done. Basically he said one thing to one guy and later changed his mind and told another guy to do something else.

The first guy came along after the second guy and undid his work not knowing that Petrino had changed his mind.

When Petrino found out he jumped their boss telling the man to give him one good reason why he should not be fired. They were standing outside a restroom. Their boss looked Petrino straight in the eye, pointed at the restroom door and said, "If you want to blame somebody go in there and look in the mirror."

Petrino never raised his voice to the man again and he's still employed at the BAC.

I confirmed this story with the man in question.
Not much room for speculation on who that boss was/is.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 16, 2014, 10:15:43 am
If someone threw my dad to the ground there's no way I would play for him.

I might have played for him, since my Dad would have beat some sense into him.

I doubt it happened or if it did it was not anywhere near the incident the article makes it out to be.  What grown man is going to allow someone to treat them like that?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 16, 2014, 05:49:00 pm
I don't have a problem with a coach slinging players around as long as it's okay for the players to do the same to the coach.

Good coaches don't need to put their hands on their players to get their message across.

Can't find anything to disagree with there.  The main point I was taking issue with was the "unless it was their son" part.  Back in the day I saw our own coach do the kick in the butt trick....it was more for show than anything.  My view is if a parent is coddling his boy, that's fine (he's not doing him any favors, but it's his son and his business), but don't allow him to play football....and certainly don't expect him to be treated any differently when it's time for some discipline to be dished out.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on August 16, 2014, 05:53:43 pm
Probably why you are on a message board and not on the sidelines.  8)

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

I always figured the coach who was screaming in a player's face on the sideline either (a) didn't have the discipline to control his emotions or (b) was doing it for the booster four beers in who could say, "Ohh, boy!!! See him get in that boy's ass?? We got ourselves a coach, fellers!!"

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 16, 2014, 06:06:25 pm
I always figured the coach who was screaming in a player's face on the sideline either (a) didn't have the discipline to control his emotions or (b) was doing it for the booster four beers in who could say, "Ohh, boy!!! See him get in that boy's ass?? We got ourselves a coach, fellers!!"

All kids are coached different. You do the hardcore act with kids and it destroys them so you have to figure another way to instill discipline and toughness. Others you have to get their attention. My son falls in the latter group. You got to get in his ass.....and he has always responded. But no matter what, the world is all in on producing kinder, gentler Americans....and we have become soft.

PRJ

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 16, 2014, 06:15:52 pm
PRJ,

You and I have had a discussion in the past where we had different viewpoints. 
We disagreed.

I work in education.

I am here to tell you that pretty much everything you said in this post is fact.

Education today is about risk minimization - don't offend parents (because they are always right), don't ask too much of students (lest they feel bad about themselves), don't question the status quo (because administrators and the school board is never wrong).. it is pathetic what our schools have become. but it should be equally frightening what our schools have stopped doing.

Having said that, there are many equally disturbing trends in far too many families these days but I'll leave that discussion for another time.

Your post is hauntingly and frighteningly accurate.

And I absolutely agree with you on family problems. Some parents are pathetic.

PRJ

LZH

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on August 16, 2014, 05:55:11 pm
Exactly......but we don't want to raise tough kids anymore. We want them to be kinder, gentler souls who turn the other cheek, who do not think for themselves, but think the way everybody else thinks. Like robots. They learn this from school as the standardized way of teaching is drummed into them through teachers who are following the orders of administrators and pilot cians.

I had a teacher, history teacher in fact who showed us the most brutal pictures of abortions you had ever seen. Today that man would be fired for his method of teaching, which wasn't by textbooks or what he was told to teach by some jackass school administrator, he taught lessons about right and wrong and how the world was tough and that a wholesale genocide of the unborn was just that.... a genocide. I thank God every day that he taught me that.

The youth of today needs a swift kick in the ass, damn near all of them. You bring back the paddle and no nonsense coaches and things might change. This world ain't easy if you're gonna make it, you gotta be tough. So unless you plan on naming your boy Sue, you better hop he is surrounded by tough minded role models.

Next thing you know, these peoples will be wanting to ban boot camp in the military...cuz they are too mean.

Some of y'all need to grow a set.

PRJ

I'm not suggesting that a coach go crap-ape wild and yank his kids all over the practice field just to toughen them up, or that every coach needs to have that in him to be a good coach.  There are plenty of guys who can barely raise his voice but everyone on the team knows that he means business.  But clearly, if a particular coach is high-strung and subject to snatching your young azz up by the face mask because you're loafing or not listening or whatever, then you either get your mind right or you quit pretending.  Period.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 16, 2014, 05:57:17 pm
Not much room for speculation on who that boss was/is.
It wasn't Jeff Long. There are layers of employees and bosses in the BAC these days

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: LZH on August 16, 2014, 06:22:06 pm
I'm not suggesting that a coach go crap-ape wild and yank his kids all over the practice field just to toughen them up, or that every coach needs to have that in him to be a good coach.  There are plenty of guys who can barely raise his voice but everyone on the team knows that he means business.  But clearly, if a particular coach is high-strung and subject to snatching your young azz up by the face mask because you're loafing or not listening or whatever, then you either get your mind right or you quit pretending.  Period.

And I am not suggesting beatings until morale improves either. But sometimes come to Jesus meetings need to happen.

PRJ

BPsTheMan

I saw Bobby Petrino pick up a Volkswagon and toss it in anger once. This was over on the west side of the stadium by the frat houses.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 16, 2014, 04:26:25 pm
Are you kidding?  SI doesn't care about any story they print just how many hog fans will buy the mag to read about mean ole Bobby.  Which one of you were the first to the local 7-11 to buy one?

Once again this was a story put out about Bobby Petrino that involved a small tidbit of a story about his time at Arkansas, not a story about Arkansas. SI is not looking to the state of Arkansas drive up subscriptions by running a Petrino story.

Jek Tono Porkins

People tend to think the autocratic, no-nonsense coaches are the best, but for every Bob Knight or Bobby Petrino that is successful, there's a Tony Dungy or a Bob Huggins that is also successful.

I'm a pretty chill guy and I never responded well to yelling. I'm a thinking introvert. I'm the same guy every day. When our football team would do the generic "fire everyone up" exercise before the game, I was the guy in the back not really getting into it...I was running through the playbook in my head while everyone else was busy getting emotionally jacked to play the game...in my mind, preparation is much more important than your emotional state. Some people think differently and perform better when they're emotionally jacked...I just wasn't one of those people.

If I do something wrong, simply explain what I did wrong and how I can correct it. I will then understand what I did wrong and correct it. Getting in my face and yelling doesn't do me any good, as I tended to focus on "Well damn, the coach is mad at me, this sucks" rather than what needed to happen for me to fix the problem.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 16, 2014, 06:50:07 pm
People tend to think the autocratic, no-nonsense coaches are the best, but for every Bob Knight or Bobby Petrino that is successful, there's a Tony Dungy or a Bob Huggins that is also successful.

I'm a pretty chill guy and I never responded well to yelling. I'm a thinking introvert. I'm the same guy every day. When our football team would do the generic "fire everyone up" exercise before the game, I was the guy in the back not really getting into it...I was running through the playbook in my head while everyone else was busy getting emotionally jacked to play the game...in my mind, preparation is much more important than your emotional state. Some people think differently and perform better when they're emotionally jacked...I just wasn't one of those people.

If I do something wrong, simply explain what I did wrong and how I can correct it. I will then understand what I did wrong and correct it. Getting in my face and yelling doesn't do me any good, as I tended to focus on "Well damn, the coach is mad at me, this sucks" rather than what needed to happen for me to fix the problem.

Really, you put Bob Huggins in the category with Tony Dungy??? I got your point, but I think most college basketball fans would lump Huggins in that Petrino/Knight category.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PorkerOinker on August 16, 2014, 06:41:55 pm
Once again this was a story put out about Bobby Petrino that involved a small tidbit of a story about his time at Arkansas, not a story about Arkansas. SI is not looking to the state of Arkansas drive up subscriptions by running a Petrino story.

BS, SI doesn't print anything without an eye towards driving up subs.  Adding this tidbit of a story was aimed squarely at you.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 16, 2014, 06:50:07 pm

The better coaches I've been around have all said that you have get into a players head and figure out what buttons to push. Some respond well to being screamed at. Tyler Wilson is a good example.

Others don't do well at all with that approach. Ryan Mallett is a good example of that.

Hawgphish

Cinco de Hogo

Yep ya'll dishing the coaching methods of some of the greatest coaches of all time.  Coaches their players hated at the time but loved them afterwards. 

LZH

Quote from: PorkerOinker on August 16, 2014, 06:54:32 pm
Really, you put Bob Huggins in the category with Tony Dungy??? I got your point, but I think most college basketball fans would lump Huggins in that Petrino/Knight category.

I saw that but figured he probably meant someone else.  Huggins is a screamer and a hollerer.

Fwiw JTP, I was the same exact way in HS.  After we ran thru the sign, everyone would bunch up on the sideline and jump around, etc.  I always jogged around the pile and over to put one of my towels thru my belt.  I've got almost all our game films (VHS) from '84.  This past Christmas, we watched a few minutes of one and my daughter saw my intro and said "wow, way to be fired up Dad - you stand out like a sore thumb".  It just wasn't my thing.

But I knew how to take an azz chewing, and I didn't get my feelings hurt when a coach threw a fit and jumped right in the middle of my ****.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 16, 2014, 06:57:33 pm
The better coaches I've been around have all said that you have get into a players head and figure out what buttons to push. Some respond well to being screamed at. Tyler Wilson is a good example.

Others don't do well at all with that approach. Ryan Mallett is a good example of that.
That's an excellent point.

I was at the 2011 South Carolina game...there was a play where Wilson was fixin to get sacked and threw the ball up for grabs. A South Carolina D-end plucked it out of the air and ran it for a touchdown.

I made sure to watch what happened when Wilson got back to the sideline...I thought Petrino was going to have an aneurysm.

The next offensive play, Wilson threw a TD to Jarius Wright. 

Clearly, Wilson responded to being yelled at.

People tend to think that because Petrino didn't yell at Mallett all the time, Mallett must have been the better QB. That's not necessarily the case.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: PorkerOinker on August 16, 2014, 06:54:32 pm
Wow, complete herp derp brain fart on my part. I meant to put Huggins in with the screamers.

I hope my point still stands, though.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 16, 2014, 07:14:45 pm
Wow, complete herp derp brain fart on my part. I meant to put Huggins in with the screamers.

you are hereby banned for 10 days

LZH

If you put Huggins in with the ultra-mild flavored coaches, then I reckon you really are a tough SOB.

PonderinHog

Nope, you've lost all credibility.