Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sports Illustrated article on Petrino claims he threw Bobby Allen to the ground

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 16, 2014, 09:40:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Article on Petrino in most recent Sports Illustrated claims he got pissed at a defensive lineman "throwing" an offensive linemen into anther OL's legs, and threw then DL coach Bobby Allen down in the locker room.  Petrino denies it, Allen has no comment, but other assistants of that era have apparently confirmed it.

http://swtimes.com/sports/four-downs-fans-get-first-glimps-razorbacks

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

rljjr

ricepig

MountieDawg

If it happened,why would he send his kids to play for him. Not saying it didn't, but would be really weird if it did and he sent his son to play for him.
SEC!

threeNout

Go hogs go

hoglady

MountieDawg has a point.
Whatever happened wasn't bad enough to stop him from sending Brandon and Austin to play for Petrino.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

870hogfan

Hogarusa

Do you think a father would stop his 2 sons from playing at their home University due to an incident they werent involved with or probably even knew about?  He could have actually stopped both of them from signing with Arkansas?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hollywood_HOGan45

If someone threw my dad to the ground there's no way I would play for him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: MountieDawg on August 16, 2014, 09:49:45 am
If it happened,why would he send his kids to play for him. Not saying it didn't, but would be really weird if it did and he sent his son to play for him.

Maybe it happened after Brandon was on campus? And Austin came on board in CBB's first year didn't he? That would mean he was recruited after Petrino left.

EastexHawg

Among other things, one of my coaches hit me in the side of the helmet, then slung me around like a rag doll by the facemask...screaming f-bombs and questioning my heritage all the while.  That was for cutting off an out route short of the first down marker.

Didn't we just read a story about teammates fighting?

Football is a violent game and environment.  Physical confrontation is not looked upon in the same way it would be between a husband and wife in the kitchen.

Razorbax

Quote from: Hogarusa on August 16, 2014, 10:10:41 am
Do you think a father would stop his 2 sons from playing at their home University due to an incident they werent involved with or probably even knew about?  He could have actually stopped both of them from signing with Arkansas?
I would imagine something like this would have been very difficult to keep quite......

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscle

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 16, 2014, 10:18:32 am
But then again, the kid is playing for daddy. I wonder if he would been given a scholarship if his dad had not been on staff. Pretty obvious last year he was not an sec caliber qb.

From Jim Harris:

"But Brandon Allen didn't play any games off the field with recruiters. He was all but born a Razorback, and the Arkansas football program will reap the benefits of that loyalty over the next four years.

On successive nights in late January, Allen won the Landers Award from KATV, Channel 7, as the best player in Arkansas, then picked up his Class 7A Player of the Year plaque and commemorative football from the Little Rock Touchdown Club. Through it all he was so "aw shucks" about the accolades.

"The Landers Award was a huge honor with all the players that were there," Allen told me two weeks ago at the Touchdown Club banquet. "And seeing a few of them here again tonight - Kiehl [Frazier, the 4A Player of the Year from Shiloh Christian] and Steven [Kehner, the 3A star from Glen Rose], Taylor [Reed, the 6A POY from El Dorado]. It's been an interesting couple of days and it's just a big honor."

Last week, Allen's pledge to sign with Arkansas was fulfilled, though the high school signing ceremony in front of students had to wait a few days between snowstorms.

Garrick McGee, addressing the Little Rock Razorback Club's gathering of 1,000 supporters to watch highlights of the recruits on Feb. 3, said Allen was Arkansas' No. 1 quarterback target. "Of all the quarterback we looked at, he was by far the best. He was the one who could make all the throws in our offense."

Allen proved this season he could run, too, and could often make something out of nothing. Of all the plays in Fayetteville's 7A state title loss to Bentonville, the one that stood out was a scramble by Allen, when all his receivers were covered, that resulted in the quarterback rolling out across the field to the left, then cutting back against the grain and diving across the goal line to complete a 14-yard play.

The statistic that stood out this season was Allen's avoidance of even one interception during the 10-game regular season, operating a wide-open multiple scheme against the best competition in the state."

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/23568/harris-quarterback-allen-as-big-a-recruiting-get-as-any-of-razorback-signees?page=all

Also
"I do think that that's why Brandon didn't get many offers and he's not a 5-star quarterback," McGee, a former star high school quarterback out of Oklahoma, said last week. "If you're going to rank kids by stars and Brandon Allen is not a 5-star, I don't know what a 5-star quarterback looks like. But I think that maybe he didn't have the offers that maybe some of the other kids had, that kind of bumped him back some ...

"I evaluated every quarterback in the country that was a prime-time player, because we nationally recruit quarterbacks, and Brandon is the best guy as far as running our style offense, understanding defensive structure, understanding how to make run-game checks and point out where the mike linebacker is. Understanding how to be under center and take five-step drops and deliver the ball on third downs, go through progressions, Brandon Allen was the best kid in the country in my opinion. So we're really fortunate to have him."

And this gem from Chris Bahn:

"1. Generating Excitement
Freshman quarterback Brandon Allen is making the most of his extra practice time during bowl prep.

Allen, who redshirted this season, has drawn praise from Coach Bobby Petrino, offensive coordinator Paul Petrino and quarterback Tyler Wilson. All three have been impressed with the way that Allen has grown this season.

"It's exciting to be out there working with him," Paul Petrino said. "You can see he's a coach's kid that has been around the game his whole life. He has a good feel and anticipation of when to get rid of the ball. He throws a real nice, catchable ball. He has a chance to have a real good career here."

Coach Bobby Petrino is also high on Allen, son of defensive backs coach Bobby Allen. Petrino noted Brandon Allen's quick release, accuracy and intelligence.

Wilson has been impressed with Allen's throwing ability.

"He throws the ball every bit as good as I do," Wilson said. "He spins the ball. He's a great quarterback. ... When he gets his opportunity he's going to be special, I'm sure."

Allen said he's made strides, particularly with his knowledge of the playbook, since arriving on campus in the summer. He got to travel with the team even while he redshirted and said he expects to be in the mix to move up the quarterback depth chart in the spring.

So in addition to all the other attributes coaches and teammates have noted, Allen also seems to have a competitive streak.

"I'm going to come back next year and really just compete for jobs," Allen said. "That's what I'm after."

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/28301/3-and-out-brandon-allen-impressing-in-practice-adams-wants-to-add-to-all-american-resume?page=all
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

WilsonHog

A couple of y'all are about to be deemed not Hogville-calibre posters.

I would advise you to tread lightly.

WilsonHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 16, 2014, 10:19:10 am
Among other things, one of my coaches hit me in the side of the helmet, then slung me around like a rag doll by the facemask...screaming f-bombs and questioning my heritage all the while.  That was for cutting off an out route short of the first down marker.

Football is a violent game and environment.  Physical confrontation is not looked upon in the same way it would be between a husband and wife in the kitchen.

Think that would fly in 2014?

hellwonthaveme

But you see the guys in here that are feigning horror over this? Those dudes want no violence at all.

This is the new breed of people.

PRJ

Pathogen

If it happened,why would he send his kids to play for him.

If it didn't happen, why did Bobby Allen refuse to comment?

Hogeration

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 16, 2014, 10:29:05 am
Think that would fly in 2014?
If you don't think it still happens in closed practices you're kidding yourself.  It's still football and emotions run high.

secneahog

To bad we couldn't hide Petrino's identity and played him at linebacker.  Petrino throwing down big boy Allen. 

Jessica fiance must be able to really kick some butt.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Mike Irwin

This story is almost certainly bogus. Petrino runs his mouth a lot but I've never heard of him putting his hands on somebody. It is true that it was all about the offense with him. He used to yell at defensive coaches all the time when he felt something had happened in practice that hurt the offense. Honestly it was stupid. Did he expect opponents to refrain from disrupting his offense?

There were stories about him yelling at Bobby Allen. I'm sure he did. He yelled at everybody.

I hate to break this to some people but Petrino is no giant. If he actually tossed a coach to the floor it would be because the coach didn't see it coming and more than likely if he did it he'd end up on the floor himself.

I've already told the story of an athletic department staffer that stood up to him. The people who saw the incident say that Petrino never messed with the guy again. Petrino used his position to bully people, not physically but verbally.

Again I don't believe a word of this story.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on August 16, 2014, 09:46:12 am
And people said Bobby didn't care about the defense.
And knowing CBP's "love" for defense it was undoubtedly the best tackle of the season. Too bad it wasn't saved for a defensive player actually on the field during a game.

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Mike Irwin

Up until 2006 the media was able to watch entire Razorback football practices. From 1975 until 2006 I never saw anything like what you're describing. Lou Holtz grabbed a few facemasks but he never slung anybody around.

On more than a few occasions O-Line coach Larry Beightol threatened to kick Lou's butt but they never got physical.

I have been to countless high school practices over the last 40 + years. I've never seen a player physically thrown around by a coach.

In six years as a junior high, JV and varsity high school player in the 60's I never saw anything like that as a player. Coaches cussed the fool out of us. They never threw us around.

I'm not disputing what happened to you. I am saying stuff like that is not common.

Pork Twain

If it didn't happen, what is the point in coaches making it up?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 16, 2014, 09:40:44 am
Petrino denies it, Allen has no comment, but other assistants of that era have apparently confirmed it.

http://swtimes.com/sports/four-downs-fans-get-first-glimps-razorbacks

The story cited two individuals with connections to the Arkansas program as saying they witnessed Petrino throw former defensive line coach Bobby Allen to the floor. - See more at: http://swtimes.com/sports/four-downs-fans-get-first-glimps-razorbacks#sthash.KqJoDoRf.dpuf
---------------------------------
Nowhere does it say coaches confirmed it.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 16, 2014, 11:16:12 am
If it didn't happen, what is the point in coaches making it up?
They might be working for other programs and are having to recruit against Petrino?

Not saying that's the case, but it's certainly a possibility.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 16, 2014, 11:20:57 am
They might be working for other programs and are having to recruit against Petrino?

Not buying that one little bit.  You do not have to make up bad press for BP.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike Irwin

Never let the truth get in the way of a good football story. I've heard thousands of them.

For years I had heard that Bowden Wyatt's assistants used razor straps to strike players who hit the ground in practice and did not immediately get up. I finally tracked down a starter on the '54 team at a Cotton Bowl practice in December of '99.

He said, "Are you kidding me? Billy Ray Smith was on that team. I'd like to see the coach who could hit him with a razor strap and survive. He'd stick the razor strap up that coaches *%#* and then make him eat it. No. It did not happen."

The Galloping Ghost

I'm going yo go ahead and say this... I was around both these guys extensively and I can assure you that Petrino did not throw Allen to the ground.

Petrino is a little weasle. Allen could tear him apart physically.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 16, 2014, 11:19:42 am
The story cited two individuals with connections to the Arkansas program as saying they witnessed Petrino throw former defensive line coach Bobby Allen to the floor. - See more at: http://swtimes.com/sports/four-downs-fans-get-first-glimps-razorbacks#sthash.KqJoDoRf.dpuf
---------------------------------

Nowhere does it say coaches confirmed it.

You're right - but I never said the link I posted said that.  Just that it had been confirmed.

As it turns out, I checked my source again - a respected peer of yours in the NWA media.  He says that "two staffers" confirm it.  I initially interpreted them to  be coaches, but upon a second reading - it may or may not have been coaches.  But it was someone on the football staff who was there.  Two someones.

Clearly, I wasn't there.  Just posting links and reporting what others have said.

Atlhogfan1

Don't know if the story is true or not.  But Brandon committed to Arkansas in 2010.  If it happened, it could have happened after Brandon had already committed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 16, 2014, 11:20:57 am

People have to recruit against Petrino? What for? : )
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

secneahog

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on August 16, 2014, 11:49:22 am
I'm going yo go ahead and say this... I was around both these guys extensively and I can assure you that Petrino did not throw Allen to the ground.

Petrino is a little weasle. Allen could tear him apart physically.

Lol. +1

hog golf

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

LZH

I'm not buying all of it.....some, maybe.....but not 'thrown to the ground'.  I am not sure a man could hold his temper thru something like that, I don't care if it's his boss or his preacher.  When a guy puts his hands on you - especially if he's been chewing on your ass for 10 minutes (THAT part I believe) - you'd have to be pretty docile to let that happen.

Bobby Allen is in no uncertain terms a good guy, and has a good football mind...a good coach.  He wouldn't need Petrino to get a job.  And if this were to happen after his son committed, I'm fairly sure that by b**ch-slapping Petrino in retaliation, everyone in his family would understand.  I mean, would his boy want to play for Petrino after that?  Besides, if he were fired for dropping Petrino on the locker room floor (and there's no doubt that he could) you know his sons would be like "my old man don't take * from anybody.....not even Bobby Petrino".

Good story, but 50/50 at best.

HognitiveDissonance

I love how people watch the wins pile up and call the Hogs in 2010 and 2011 then knock the methods that led to those wins. I also love how people from afar admire a guy like Saban who's the biggest tyrant around. I can still see Saban on the sideline when it was 52-0 in 2012 screaming and waving his arms around at a defensive player who botched an assignment. I actually admired it; that's how you get success. I can't wait to hear the tales of tyranny from Alabama after he finally retires. No one will say anything now as the wins are piling up...and they're too chicken to say anything.

We all know Petrino is no saint. Neither is Saban. Both have good sides too. Remember Petrino donating money to the Children's Hospital...and we saw the softer side in Garrett Ueckman tragedy.

I don't really care how the sausage is made. I expect a good coach to obey NCAA rules...and win. Petrino did that. I don't care if he's hard-nosed and rules with an iron-fist. That's almost a requirement. Any successful program has a guy in charge who no one doubts is in charge. 

Hogeration

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 16, 2014, 11:14:35 am
Up until 2006 the media was able to watch entire Razorback football practices. From 1975 until 2006 I never saw anything like what you're describing. Lou Holtz grabbed a few facemasks but he never slung anybody around.

On more than a few occasions O-Line coach Larry Beightol threatened to kick Lou's butt but they never got physical.

I have been to countless high school practices over the last 40 + years. I've never seen a player physically thrown around by a coach.

In six years as a junior high, JV and varsity high school player in the 60's I never saw anything like that as a player. Coaches cussed the fool out of us. They never threw us around.

I'm not disputing what happened to you. I am saying stuff like that is not common.

Video of, as Wally says, the former coach of Indiana choking a player.  Rutgers coach on video hitting and throwing balls at players.

I guess it depends on what schools you watch.  In areas where the players come from gangs or the streets, sometimes a little more "encouragement" is necessary.  It also depends on how old the coach is/was.  The older coaches I had were much more likely to toss a few players around.  Never saw one player disciplined in that way walk off the field though.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on August 16, 2014, 10:51:56 am

Again, new breed of people. You watch Saban smack the shite out of McCarron last year? Albeit, it was on his backside but it was down with anger in mind.

That's what's wrong with the world. There is no more attention getting allowed.
They will complain, then they will file a lawsuit. Run somebody hard, they will sue. Then they wonder why kids drop dead. Oh yeah, coach ran em to hard. He was mean and  called us names. He grabbed me by the facemask and hurt my feelings. Oh the horror.

In two a days when I was in high school, you got a.  water break midway through practice.....from a hose...and you better guzzle quickly. No one dropped dead, that is because we weren't coddled by our parents or society in general. You went home bellyaching that coach kicked your ass and you were told you deserved it boy....

We have developed a nation full of p#ssys

PRJ

Shoot my Daddy told me you whine about the Coach I beat your 6.  I think SI is trolling.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hogeration on August 16, 2014, 01:11:45 pm
Video of, as Wally says, the former coach of Indiana choking a player.  Rutgers coach on video hitting and throwing balls at players.

I guess it depends on what schools you watch.  In areas where the players come from gangs or the streets, sometimes a little more "encouragement" is necessary.  It also depends on how old the coach is/was.  The older coaches I had were much more likely to toss a few players around.  Never saw one player disciplined in that way walk off the field though.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying it's rare and these days it would be almost impossible for the coach to avoid being fired.

bigbadhog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on August 16, 2014, 01:03:40 pm
I love how people watch the wins pile up and call the Hogs in 2010 and 2011 then knock the methods that led to those wins. I also love how people from afar admire a guy like Saban who's the biggest tyrant around. I can still see Saban on the sideline when it was 52-0 in 2012 screaming and waving his arms around at a defensive player who botched an assignment. I actually admired it; that's how you get success. I can't wait to hear the tales of tyranny from Alabama after he finally retires. No one will say anything now as the wins are piling up...and they're too chicken to say anything.

We all know Petrino is no saint. Neither is Saban. Both have good sides too. Remember Petrino donating money to the Children's Hospital...and we saw the softer side in Garrett Ueckman tragedy.

I don't really care how the sausage is made. I expect a good coach to obey NCAA rules...and win. Petrino did that. I don't care if he's hard-nosed and rules with an iron-fist. That's almost a requirement. Any successful program has a guy in charge who no one doubts is in charge. 

Excellent Post.  I have said many times on here that BP was not paid to be a nice guy.  He was paid to win games and that is what he did.  I actually loved his "you mess with me and I will kill you attitude" and contrary to most posts on HV, it worked to perfection.  BB would win the congeniality award over BP but who cares about that???
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

razorbackkid

Amen.  +1
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Hogeration on August 16, 2014, 01:11:45 pm

So what you are saying is the inner city kids might need a little more roughing up....while our corn fed white boys are the more tame type, therefore no authoritative figure is needed? Is that what you are saying? Because needs more "encouragement" sure sounds like it.

Wow

PRJ

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 16, 2014, 10:59:40 am
This story is almost certainly bogus. Petrino runs his mouth a lot but I've never heard of him putting his hands on somebody. It is true that it was all about the offense with him. He used to yell at defensive coaches all the time when he felt something had happened in practice that hurt the offense. Honestly it was stupid. Did he expect opponents to refrain from disrupting his offense?

There were stories about him yelling at Bobby Allen. I'm sure he did. He yelled at everybody.

I hate to break this to some people but Petrino is no giant. If he actually tossed a coach to the floor it would be because the coach didn't see it coming and more than likely if he did it he'd end up on the floor himself.

I've already told the story of an athletic department staffer that stood up to him. The people who saw the incident say that Petrino never messed with the guy again. Petrino used his position to bully people, not physically but verbally.

Again I don't believe a word of this story.

Mike do you have time to tell the story of the guy standing up to Petrino again? Or what thread it can be found in?
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Marshfieldhog

I suspect this story was exaggerated or made up. Stories like this pop up when you are on a 12 game SEC losing skid. Folks start remembering the days of winning(Petrino), then stories like this are created to distract from losing and make us feel better about integrity.

Whatever, these guys need to start winning soon. Fans really don't want a 3rd year of getting plummeted every weekend.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on August 16, 2014, 02:21:47 pm
I suspect this story was exaggerated or made up. Stories like this pop up when you are on a 12 game SEC losing skid. Folks start remembering the days of winning(Petrino), then stories like this are created to distract from losing and make us feel better about integrity.

Whatever, these guys need to start winning soon. Fans really don't want a 3rd year of getting plummeted every weekend.

Why would SI care or want to distract that we are on a 12 game losing streak in the SEC???
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Marshfieldhog

+1

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: PorkerOinker on August 16, 2014, 02:25:06 pm
Why would SI care or want to distract that we are on a 12 game losing streak in the SEC???

SI just wants to make money, however the two staffers probably made it up to deflect what may be another year of losing

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on August 16, 2014, 02:21:47 pm

Actually I truly believe some fans don't care about pummelling just as long as we have model citizens who do community service from the goodness of our heart instead of being court ordered.

PRJ