Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Mallett even make the active roster to start the season?

Started by discombobulationist, August 15, 2014, 07:36:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

discombobulationist

I like Mallett, but this Garoppolo kid is outplaying him by a wide margin this preseason. Mallett's had three years to learn behind Brady, and he's apparently lost his second team spot to a rookie already. That bad outing last week might come back to bite him in the butt bigtime.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: discombobulationist on August 15, 2014, 07:36:26 pm
I like Mallett, but this Garoppolo kid is outplaying him by a wide margin this preseason. Mallett's had three years to learn behind Brady, and he's apparently lost his second team spot to a rookie already. That bad outing last week might come back to bite him in the butt bigtime.

If NE plans to carry only 2 QB's, then Mallett won't be playing for NE.  I assume they'll keep 3 QB's.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

B501

Pig In The City

Yeah it is not looking good for mallet. You have to seize the day because there is always someone over your shoulder. Mallet is odd man out on the QB bench tonight.  I mean this is the pre-season but it isn't good that the rookie got the nod injury or no injury. Mallet better see this for what it is. Someone trying to take his job .

HF#1

Funny cause 2 weeks ago Billy was raving about Mallett.  They've put too much work into Mallett for him not to be on the active roster.  There is a reason he is still there.  They know his value and they know Brady isn't going to be there another 4-5 years.  Mallett will be there until his rookie contract is up.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Justagp

Quote from: HF#1 on August 15, 2014, 07:48:40 pm
Funny cause 2 weeks ago Billy was raving about Mallett.  They've put too much work into Mallett for him not to be on the active roster.  There is a reason he is still there.  They know his value and they know Brady isn't going to be there another 4-5 years.  Mallett will be there until his rookie contract is up.

Isn't his contract up next year?

Pig In The City

Yep mallet is out of New England after this season. I don't see Brady retiring any time soon.

discombobulationist

Quote from: Justagp on August 15, 2014, 07:53:10 pm
Isn't his contract up next year?

This is his final year. And I don't think they'll get rid of him, I just think things are looking bad for him to make the active roster this season. Maybe the Pats will keep 3 QBs active every week, but they didn't when Mallett was number 3 as a rookie. I think they started him last week to give him an opportunity to shine and get other teams interested. It didn't turn out well, and then Garoppolo came in and did well. And he's got 2 TD's in the first half this week (although one was a busted coverage and I think he got lucky on the second as I think he was trying to hit the receiver in front and got bailed out). I think Ryan is in a legitimate fight for his spot right now. He's got to step it up this preseason, or his career is in trouble.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

Ethan2010

Swineasaur

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

razorbacker3

31to6

Quote from: Swineasaur on August 15, 2014, 08:43:28 pm
Mallett looking much better tonight

Great drive.

Mature decision to audible into the run for the TD.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Swineasaur on August 15, 2014, 08:43:28 pm
Mallett looking much better tonight
The entire offense is looking better. He got NO help last week. I hope IF he gets traded...it's to anyone but Dallas. I cut that cord last year and don't want to go back!
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

southeasthog

Too much emphasis was put on last weeks "first" pre-season game. Mallett will be a starter within 2 years. Mark it down.

bulldog04

Quote from: 31to6 on August 15, 2014, 08:47:18 pm
Great drive.

Mature decision to audible into the run for the TD.

He called that play brotha!

PonderinHog

He's an excellent hander offer...   ;)

Did he just regain his spot?

PonderinHog

PonderinHog

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

southeasthog

It's amazing the difference when he gets decent blocking.

Swineasaur

Mallett with a 35 yrd fade to Tyme. Good throw and great job by tyme to attack the ball at its highest point.

bulldog04

It seems like his teammates really like him and wants him to succeed.  Brady has been really rooting for him.  But remember he had some off the field issues while he was here

PonderinHog

Hog Milanese

EastexHawg

I can see the headline..."Belicheck Chooses Midget Over Mallett As Brady's Backup"

The Boar War

EastexHawg

Wow, I just looked up Garapollo and Wikipedia claims he is 6'3".  He must have been wearing Sonny Bono's elevator shoes.  I think I'm going to have to see that measurement myself to believe it.

seasonhog

Quote from: southeasthog on August 15, 2014, 08:48:38 pm
Too much emphasis was put on last weeks "first" pre-season game. Mallett will be a starter within 2 years. Mark it down.

Next season...........................................mark it down...........better then half of qb's in NFL now.

last wk was all on the offense, mallett did not stand a chance......anyone that cannot see Ryan is a starting qb don't know football.

threeNout

Quote from: southeasthog on August 15, 2014, 08:48:38 pm

agreed,  2 years tops

Greyhands

R. Mallett           7/11   92   8.4   1   0   2-19   120.3
J. Garoppolo   6/12   72   6.0   2   0   0-0   108.3

Besides the TD his numbers were better.

I didnt watch the game so maybe you saw something

PonderinHog

Quote from: Greyhands on August 15, 2014, 09:58:18 pm

Mallett also ran for a touchdown.

fakebobholt

Any chance he gets traded to a team during this year to a team bit with the injury bug at qb.

seasonhog

Did watch the game.................Garoppolo did look good.......but Mallett was in total control of the game all of the second half............they will be several teams after him....Houston is stupid if they don't go after him,

With Garoppolo playing well.....this is good for Ryan......if NE think he can backup Brady then Mallett will be traded soon...........i hope it is not Oakland...........

PonderinHog

Quote from: fakebobholt on August 15, 2014, 10:10:09 pm
Any chance he gets traded to a team during this year to a team bit with the injury bug at qb.
Money talks...

BorderPatrol

She also posted that before Mallett ever played a down tonight.

bp

Greyhands

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 15, 2014, 10:12:08 pm
She also posted that before Mallett ever played a down tonight.

bp
??? What are you talking about I just copy and pasted that from the ESPN Box score of the game

PonderinHog

Quote from: Greyhands on August 15, 2014, 10:16:01 pm
??? What are you talking about I just copy and pasted that from the ESPN Box score of the game
Pretty sure he's referring to the OP.

Hogarusa

The Pats aren't going to carry 3 QBs on the active roster during the season. if Mallett isn't cut or traded, Jimmy G will be inactive every game
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Greyhands

clutch

Mallett had another TD dropped in the endzone so he should have thrown for 2 and ran for 1.

He also had about a 10 yarder dropped, he threw a little bit behind the receiver but it was still a ball that should be caught 9 times out of 10.

He had a really good night, his numbers would have looked quite a bit better though with a little bit of help. Those 2 drops cost him a TD and about 45-55 passing yards.

The Boar War

Herndon had a nice grab in the Seattle/San Diego game.

discombobulationist

I'm happy for him. Second half was much better than last week. I still think he's facing some tough competition for the backup spot. But, I feel better about his chances now. Hopefully he keeps playing like he did tonight.

yraciv

Quote from: The Boar War on August 15, 2014, 11:03:33 pm
Herndon had a nice grab in the Seattle/San Diego game.

Herndon's looking surprisingly good.  Had another taken back because of a penalty, but 2 catches for 22 yards. Not bad even if he is facing the LOB backups.

redeye

I don't know about any of this, but I really think Mallett needs to play.  He doesn't strike me as the type of person who fares well sitting and learning.  I also think he was far more knowledgeable then many acknowledged when he was drafted.

PonderinHog

Quote from: redeye on August 16, 2014, 12:10:11 am
I don't know about any of this, but I really think Mallett needs to play.  He doesn't strike me as the type of person who fares well sitting and learning.  I also think he was far more knowledgeable then many acknowledged when he was drafted.
36!  Gruden!

discombobulationist

Quote from: redeye on August 16, 2014, 12:10:11 am

I firmly believe he got railroaded by Gabbert's agent. If you're picking agents or lawyers in general, you should probably always go with the most ruthless. Gabbert had a chance to be a franchise QB, and Mallett got labeled as "trouble". Mallett was the far superior QB coming out of college but he didn't play the offseason game as well.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: discombobulationist on August 15, 2014, 11:10:06 pm
I'm happy for him. Second half was much better than last week. I still think he's facing some tough competition for the backup spot. But, I feel better about his chances now. Hopefully he keeps playing like he did tonight.

No he isn't facing any kind of tough competition for the backup spot. He is the number 2 qb in New England and will be this year barring injury or a trade.

Bill loves Mallett. That is well known.

PRJ