Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill and Gragg pre-visit bits

Started by The Recruiting Guy, August 13, 2014, 11:03:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

southeasthog

Hill mentioned Alabama being in his top two after visiting the Tide Aug. 1-2, but isn't ready to reveal the second school.

This seems odd. If it is Arkansas, why not reveal it?

Steef

Quote from: southeasthog on August 14, 2014, 05:40:12 am
Hill mentioned Alabama being in his top two after visiting the Tide Aug. 1-2, but isn't ready to reveal the second school.

It could be because he's 17 and doesn't understand the nuances of public relations. Or something else equally simple and innocent.

Or it could be he's just not"that into us" and doesn't want to hurt our feelings.

We'll know in February.

ricepig

Quote from: steefhog on August 14, 2014, 05:47:17 am
It could be because he's 17 and doesn't understand the nuances of public relations. Or something else equally simple and innocent.

Or it could be he's just not"that into us" and doesn't want to hurt our feelings.

We'll know in February.

Or his birthday, or tomorrow, or next week, or.......

Steef

Quote from: ricepig on August 14, 2014, 07:10:51 am
Or his birthday, or tomorrow, or next week, or.......

Understand your point.

But until an LOI is signed (by any recruit, not just this fellow)...I no longer consider it settled.

Darius Philon comes to mind.

hoghiker

I'm beginning to think they will be Hogs. Who knows. I don't. If they go else where, it won't be because Arkansas didn't try.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: steefhog on August 14, 2014, 05:47:17 am

We'll know in February.

Gragg is going to be a mid-term guy. We will know before Feb

kennymayne

This could just be because it is more publicized, but it looks like they are putting a lot more effort in on these two than they ever did for Josh Frazier, no?

All Bleed Red

Quote from: hoghiker on August 14, 2014, 07:41:25 am
I'm beginning to think they will be Hogs. Who knows. I don't. If they go else where, it won't be because Arkansas didn't try.

^This.  CBB and staff appear to be doing the best they can to land them.  Contacting them daily, especially from the head coach, is great and I commend the staff.  I no longer feel as though we might lose an in state kid because we didn't pursue them as diligently as other schools.  GO HOOOGSS!!  :razorback: :razorback:

MP24

Quote from: kennymayne on August 14, 2014, 09:25:35 am
This could just be because it is more publicized, but it looks like they are putting a lot more effort in on these two than they ever did for Josh Frazier, no?

Gragg said he communicates with Coach Bret Bielema and tight ends coach Barry Lunney Jr. on a daily basis. He said he usually talks to position coaches or recruiting coordinators at other schools, but not the head coach.

Hill hears from Bielema, offensive coordinator Jim Chaney, receivers coach Michael Smith and Lunney everyday. He said he feels very wanted.

Both say they hear from quarterback Ty Storey of Charleston, tight end C.J. O'Grady of Fayetteville, receiver Deon Stewart of Highland and tight end-defensive end JaMario Bell of Junction City about staying in-state almost daily. They said the Hog commitments are making an impact on them.
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

hawgsmellgud

I will say this, if these guys go elsewhere no one can say that we didn't try. If we miss on this, then they just were not ever going to attend the UofA. Coaches are doing the work just hope it pays off in the end.

Saying all of that I just cannot understand how these self proclaimed Arkansas boys are not on board. The Hogs are showing them the most love of any school so you know that they are wanted, and this is not a Frazier, Dyer, or Frasier situation.

Don't take that statement the wrong way. I understand that it is there decision, and will never bash them (or tweet them) for choosing another school. I will never know what it is like to be wanted by the biggest programs in the nation so I will never know what the internal pull is like, but man it would be hard for me to not jump on board as soon as I got the chance.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

GalaHawg

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on August 14, 2014, 10:16:39 am
Saying all of that I just cannot understand how these self proclaimed Arkansas boys are not on board. The Hogs are showing them the most love of any school so you know that they are wanted, and this is not a Frazier, Dyer, or Frasier situa
Don't take that statement the wrong way. I understand that it is there decision, and will never bash them (or tweet them) for choosing another school. I will never know what it is like to be wanted by the biggest programs in the nation so I will never know what the internal pull is like, but man it would be hard for me to not jump on board as soon as I got the chance.

That is because you are a fan and you are approaching it as an emotional decision. Whereas the kids have to make a business decision that is going to impact the rest of their lives and their families.

They are trying to figure out the team that will give them...
- the most exposure
- the best training
- the best chance at getting to NFL and stay there for a while.

If they decide that Arkansas gives them just as good a chance as other schools, then they will pick the Hogs. If they see a significant difference, then they'll go elsewhere. This is why I get the Bama pick for Hill but I don't understand the Ole Piss rumors regarding Gragg.

SemperFi

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on August 14, 2014, 10:16:39 am
I will say this, if these guys go elsewhere no one can say that we didn't try. If we miss on this, then they just were not ever going to attend the UofA. Coaches are doing the work just hope it pays off in the end.

Saying all of that I just cannot understand how these self proclaimed Arkansas boys are not on board. The Hogs are showing them the most love of any school so you know that they are wanted, and this is not a Frazier, Dyer, or Frasier situation.

I absolutely agree with you, especially regarding that if they don't end up being Razorbacks then they were never going to be in the first place. I wanted to be a Razorback my whole life, but my body wouldn't cooperate and allow me to be a Div 1 football prospect coming out of HS, so off to the Marine Corps I went. Had I been given the opportunity, I would have jumped on it and told everyone else to pound sand.

I definitely feel better about the Hogs chances with both Gragg and Hill today. This staff and our current commits are working hard to convince these two young men to stay home and be a Razorback. Hopefully, all that effort will pay off. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GalaHawg on August 14, 2014, 10:29:26 am
That is because you are a fan and you are approaching it as an emotional decision. Whereas the kids have to make a business decision that is going to impact the rest of their lives and their families.

- the most exposure
- the best training

If they decide that Arkansas gives them just as good a chance as other schools, then they will pick the Hogs. If they see a significant difference, then they'll go elsewhere. This is why I get the Bama pick for Hill but I don't understand the Ole Piss rumors regarding Gragg.

Bama has only has 2 WRs drafted in the Saben Era

hawgsmellgud

- the most exposure
- the best training

Oh I 100% agree. 100%
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

WorfHog

The truth is that if you have NFL talent the NFL will find you regardless of where you play (especially if you play at a P5 school). Will you get more exposure are Alabama? Maybe, but elite talent will show out. Joe Adams got plenty of exposure at Arkansas, and a talent like  Qualls is a regular staple on ESPN. Bielema will help you get to the NFL if you have the talent. 

I'd make the decision based on where I felt most comfortable, and where I enjoyed the people the most. For these guys that might not be Arkansas. As a fan I hope it is.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: WorfHog on August 14, 2014, 10:56:50 am
The truth is that if you have NFL talent the NFL will find you regardless of where you play (especially if you play at a P5 school). Will you get more exposure are Alabama? Maybe, but elite talent will show out. Joe Adams got plenty of exposure at Arkansas, and a talent like  Qualls is a regular staple on ESPN. Bielema will help you get to the NFL if you have the talent. 

I'd make the decision based on where I felt most comfortable, and where I enjoyed the people the most. For these guys that might not be Arkansas. As a fan I hope it is.

Very true on all points.

The fact is, it depends on who gives the most money for majority of kids. Now don't get me wrong, not every kid gets paid to sign with a school but it does happen. I've seen the money from a recruiting visit before.
Quote from: secfan30 on February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 pm

They are a perfect example of what happens with 10-12 generations of inbreeding.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: southeasthog on August 14, 2014, 05:40:12 am

I was under the impression he was misquoted and that "Bama was his 1 and 2."
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Ironhawg

Maybe I am not thinking right, but my days of worrying about the college decisions of high school athletes is over.  I realize that these two kids are very, very good athletes, but they are a WR and a TE.  I would be much more concerned if they were a top-notch linebacker or defensive lineman or quarterback and offensive lineman.  Those are positions where we either have difficulty recruiting talent or there is a limited amount of talent to go around to begin with. 

JackJohnson

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 14, 2014, 10:45:36 am
Bama has only has 2 WRs drafted in the Saben Era

Yep- but Saban is obviously a master salesman bc the HIGHLY RANKED WR's have flocked to him in droves

here is a class by class breakdown of his WR recruits since his first class in 2007

**rankings are from Scout**

Brandon Gibson- 4* #35 WR
Marquis Maze- 3* #59
Darious Hanks- 3* Unranked

Julio Jones- 5* #1 WR --> 6th overall pick
Chris Jackson- 4* #42
Melvin Ray- 4* #45
Destin Hood- 3* #61

Michael Bowman- 4* #14
Kendall Kelly- 4* #25
Kenny Bell- 4* #36
Kevin Norwood- 3* #44 --> 4th Rd #123 pick overall

DeAndrew White- 4* #14
Ronald Carswell- 4* #38
Keiwone Malone- 3* #48

Marvin Shinn- 4* #17
Danny Woodson- 4* #28
Bradley Sylve 4* #36

Cyrus Jones- 5* #6
Amari Cooper- 4* #12
Chris Black- 4* #19

Robert Foster- 5* #4
Ardarious Steward- 4* #10
Raheem Falkins- 3* #64

Cameron Sims- 4* #17
Derek Kief- 4* #41

Calvin Ridley- 5* #2
Daylon Charlot- 4* #40

Demetris Robertson 4* #15

Hawgzinbowlz

I think both of these recruits are assessing the teams current level of play and also they are watching how the season develops.
If we show that we're moving in the right direction I like our chances.

" GO HOGS "

Albert Swinestein

Wow.  Thanks for posting this.  The talent Alabama brings on campus...some of which seldom get off the sideline...is amazing to me.

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 14, 2014, 02:19:33 pm
Yep- but Saban is obviously a master salesman bc the HIGHLY RANKED WR's have flocked to him in droves

here is a class by class breakdown of his WR recruits since his first class in 2007

Marquis Maze- 3* #59

Chris Jackson- 4* #42
Melvin Ray- 4* #45
Destin Hood- 3* #61

Michael Bowman- 4* #14
Kendall Kelly- 4* #25
Kenny Bell- 4* #36

DeAndrew White- 4* #14
Ronald Carswell- 4* #38
Keiwone Malone- 3* #48

Marvin Shinn- 4* #17
Danny Woodson- 4* #28
Bradley Sylve 4* #36

Cyrus Jones- 5* #6
Amari Cooper- 4* #12
Chris Black- 4* #19

Robert Foster- 5* #4
Raheem Falkins- 3* #64

Cameron Sims- 4* #17
Derek Kief- 4* #41

Calvin Ridley- 5* #2
Daylon Charlot- 4* #40

The Boar War

Quote from: Albert Swinestein on August 14, 2014, 05:14:25 pm
Wow.  Thanks for posting this.  The talent Alabama brings on campus...some of which seldom get off the sideline...is amazing to me.

You know if a team in another conference didn't care about the stigma they could make a killing off treating Alabama's scraps like Juco players.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 14, 2014, 02:19:33 pm

Marquis Maze- 3* #59

Chris Jackson- 4* #42
Melvin Ray- 4* #45
Destin Hood- 3* #61

Michael Bowman- 4* #14
Kendall Kelly- 4* #25
Kenny Bell- 4* #36

DeAndrew White- 4* #14
Ronald Carswell- 4* #38
Keiwone Malone- 3* #48

Marvin Shinn- 4* #17
Danny Woodson- 4* #28
Bradley Sylve 4* #36

Cyrus Jones- 5* #6
Amari Cooper- 4* #12
Chris Black- 4* #19

Robert Foster- 5* #4
Raheem Falkins- 3* #64

Cameron Sims- 4* #17
Derek Kief- 4* #41

Calvin Ridley- 5* #2
Daylon Charlot- 4* #40

They want to be a part of a NC team and they think that Saban and Alabama may offer them that opportunity.
Go Hogs Go!

lefty08

- the most exposure
- the best training

I think all high p5 schools offer all the stuff u mentioned. To me it comes down to being a fan or staying close to home much more than we may realize
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MissippHog

So many variables as to why a kid chooses one school or another.  I want both of these kids to play for the Hogs but won't lose sleep over it one way or the other. 

TeedupHigh

That Vince Young deal at Texas should show all of these kids what staying home means..................

Hawg Red

Quote from: Fort Dweller on August 14, 2014, 12:01:55 pm
I was under the impression he was misquoted and that "Bama was his 1 and 2."

Arkansas is in his top 2. I'm not sure why he hasn't publicly acknowledged that. Probably doesn't want to get our hopes up this early in the event that he doesn't pick the Hogs. Just a guess, but the Hogs in the top 2 with Bama.

mhuff

Quote from: steefhog on August 14, 2014, 07:17:18 am
Understand your point.

But until an LOI is signed (by any recruit, not just this fellow)...I no longer consider it settled.

Darius Philon comes to mind.

moses_007

Is Bielema having time to call both of these kids every single day? 

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on August 15, 2014, 02:33:07 pm

Yeah, why wouldn't he? I suspect he makes several calls a day.

Bad News Boar

Allow me to spread the season's glad tidings.

KJ Hill hasn't announced his second of top 2 because it is NOT Arkansas. It has been said repeatedly that KJ loves Florida. Some even speculated that he is a silent commit. Not counting on him to be a Hog.

More in the positive Pete shipping vessel for Gragg. 1 of 2 ain't what it used to be, but it ain't as bad as could've been.
Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted.

mhuff

;D
Quote from: Bad News Boar on August 15, 2014, 05:07:38 pm

KJ Hill hasn't announced his second of top 2 because it is NOT Arkansas. It has been said repeatedly that KJ loves Florida. Some even speculated that he is a silent commit. Not counting on him to be a Hog.

More in the positive Pete shipping vessel for Gragg. 1 of 2 ain't what it used to be, but it ain't as bad as could've been.

Are you a physic?  ;D

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on August 15, 2014, 05:29:06 pm
;D
Are you a physic?  ;D

Maybe we could get some market info, even better yet, tonight's Mega Millions numbers.

Hawgvillain

So why announce Bama and not Florida?  Why not say Florida is in his top 2 if that's who he loves so much and let it be a mystery that Bama is the second school?  Going to call bull$hit on this...

MH04

I know for a 100% fact that we are in the top 2

Hawg Red

I'vd been told the same, MH. "100% fact" is a little strong for me, but I trust what I was told.

MH04

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 15, 2014, 06:05:22 pm
I'vd been told the same, MH. "100% fact" is a little strong for me, but I trust what I was told.

Sorry haha I'm just not a fan of when people just throw out "information"

Hawg Red

To be clear, I've been told Arkansas IS in his top 2.

MH04

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 15, 2014, 06:16:21 pm

Not you haha the guy saying Florida was the other school

redeye

Quote from: mhuff on August 15, 2014, 05:29:06 pm
;D
Are you a physic?  ;D

Newton was a great physic, but even his laws don't explain Hill.  His first law does state that a recruit in motion will stay in motion, unless Bielema forces him to commit.  However, his third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction by Alabama, so being a physic just doesn't really help much.

A psychic might have better luck.

jjdlc

Quote from: redeye on August 15, 2014, 06:23:07 pm
Newton was a great physic, but even his laws don't explain Hill.  His first law does state that a recruit in motion will stay in motion, unless Bielema forces him to commit.  However, his third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction by Alabama, so being a physic just doesn't really help much.

+1. LOL

Scott7703

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 15, 2014, 06:16:21 pm

Add me to the list of people who have been told this as well. The last word I got was that Arkansas was in "good shape".

BornaHog

Quote from: moses_007 on August 15, 2014, 02:33:07 pm

At least he's calling recruits and not women on the side!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

mhuff

;D
Quote from: redeye on August 15, 2014, 06:23:07 pm

Redeye, just having a little fun. It is intramural to me which one psychic or physic. That was the reason for the smiling face.

As for Newton's law..... an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. This is relevant to our discussion with Hill and Gragg. If Bilemma , outside force , acts upon them they may commit. Then law 3 can naturally occur ,and Gragg  and Hill can thumb their noses at Alabama as a reaction to their action.  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

ldfergu

trashcan maN

ldfergu

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 16, 2014, 11:49:05 am
It's they're, brotato.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Was adding to the physic/psychic glory

mhuff

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on August 16, 2014, 12:14:03 pm
Thanks Captain Obvious. Was adding to the physic/psychic glory

Stone, I represent that remark. I even resemble it.