Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Listening to the majority of HV posters

Started by OS2 (SW) Razor Back, August 12, 2014, 11:20:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Swineasaur on August 13, 2014, 10:22:32 am
Do you see who our AD is? Long wouldn't want to put him on the hot seat if he went 0-12, if he gets to 4-8 with one sec victory that at least gives Long a crutch for not giving him the axe.

Then if that's truly the case, ol' Robert Shields would be right after all.  Long's idea of a successful AD is one who rakes in the money and wins/losses do not matter - in which case he would need to go, too.  Of course, if Long keeps losing coaches around because of their top-heavy contract (like Kansas is doing right now), then the donations will start drying up and eventually he'd be forced to make a very expensive coaching change or he'd be forced out the door.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 13, 2014, 10:28:10 am
I'd hate to be him...

Yep, one more embarrassing eleven win season and he's out on his arse.

Swineasaur

Maybe we could lure Petrino from Louisville after BB is axed.....     ...............   ..............

LZH

Quote from: Swineasaur on August 13, 2014, 10:36:31 am
Maybe we could lure Petrino from Louisville after BB is axed.....     ...............   ..............

His offense would never work here.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on August 13, 2014, 10:37:49 am
His offense would never work here.
You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Jek Tono Porkins

I really don't think people understand how close we were last year. It's not like we got blown out every game. We just seemed to get terribly unlucky and almost NOTHING bounced our way. If the team can cut down on the mistakes and improve just a bit, we can win some games.

-Rutgers: Definitely would have beat them with BA.
-A&M: BA threw a pick six and we didn't score in the 4th quarter. No pick six + a TD in the 4th quarter and we win that game.
-Auburn: Freak Derby INT in the red zone on the opening drive, Derby fumble on the second drive, got stood up on a 4th&1 from the 1, no scoring in the 4th quarter after the first play of the 4th quarter. Game was definitely winnable, believe it or not.
-Mississippi State: Got the game into OT
-LSU: Had 'em beat, blown pass protection.

Now I'm not saying that we should have beaten all of those teams, just if a few things had bounced our way, we could have been an 8-win team. Though I realize the same can be said for most any team.

We've got a lot of experience coming back on both sides of the ball this year, where last year, we had underclassmen and even freshmen starting at key positions. You simply don't win many games in the SEC with a freshman MLB and freshmen on the o-line.

It's extremely difficult to be truly objective when evaluating the team you're a fan of, but I do think it's not a stretch to say we can go bowling this year. We were just so close last year that something has to give.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

LZH

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 13, 2014, 10:40:59 am
I really don't think people understand how close we were last year. It's not like we got blown out every game. We just seemed to get terribly unlucky and almost NOTHING bounced our way. If the team can cut down on the mistakes and improve just a bit, we can win some games.

-Rutgers: Definitely would have beat them with BA.
-A&M: BA threw a pick six and we didn't score in the 4th quarter. No pick six + a TD in the 4th quarter and we win that game.
-Auburn: Freak Derby INT in the red zone on the opening drive, Derby fumble on the second drive, got stood up on a 4th&1 from the 1, no scoring in the 4th quarter after the first play of the 4th quarter. Game was definitely winnable, believe it or not.
-Mississippi State: Got the game into OT
-LSU: Had 'em beat, blown pass protection.

Now I'm not saying that we should have beaten all of those teams, just if a few things had bounced our way, we could have been an 8-win team. Though I realize the same can be said for most any team.

We've got a lot of experience coming back on both sides of the ball this year, where last year, we had underclassmen and even freshmen starting at key positions. You simply don't win many games in the SEC with a freshman MLB and freshmen on the o-line.

It's extremely difficult to be truly objective when evaluating the team you're a fan of, but I do think it's not a stretch to say we can go bowling this year. We were just so close last year that something has to give.

Very good post.  We were only a few plays away, and we got jobbed by Auburn.  If Coach B almost won 8 games in year 1 with the player Petrino left him, think how well he'll do this year.

code red

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on August 12, 2014, 11:20:13 pm
We would be better off forfeiting the 2014 season.

I'm in the minority.

I strongly believe we go bowling this year.
Why?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 13, 2014, 09:49:12 am
2013 vs 2014         advantage
Samford vs. Nichols        even
Southern Miss vs UAB      USM
ULL vs NIU                      even
Texas Tech vs Rutgers     even
A&M vs A&M                2013 A&M
LSU vs LSU                   2013 LSU
Bama vs Bama             2013 Bama
Auburn vs Auburn        2013 Auburn
Ole Miss vs Ole Miss    2014 Ole Miss
Miss St vs Miss St.       2014 Miss St.
SCAR vs Mizzou          SCAR
Florida vs UGA.              UGA
Totally disagree with Rutgers vs. TT comparison.  TT was top 2 in passing last year.  TTech will not be a gimme.  They return 9 on offense.  They only return 4 on offense but....Rutgers is and was a mess.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Al Boarland

I'm in the minority.

I wouldn't recommend forfeiting, but I wouldn't recommend purchasing Cotton Bowl tickets either.

Hog-n-GA

I'm in the minority.

Hope you are right! If so, means we have turned the corner and headed back up.

lefty08

Quote from: Swineasaur on August 13, 2014, 10:36:31 am

Wish I could say it was nice knowing u
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hog Villager

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 13, 2014, 12:01:58 am
Honestly, it's what you probably should expect. Last year was bad for a lot of reasons but we lost one or two games that we should have won. I expect us to be much better this year but don't neccesarily think the W's & L's will be the truest barometer of the teams progression. If we get 6 I'll be pleased. If we get more I'll be estatic. If we win less I will let the way we got to that record be the deciding factor in my opinion.

Agreed 100%. This summed up my feelings exactly.
"I may live in a bubble, but it's my bubble and it's painted Hog Red"

Maximus Tusk

Honestly, it's what you probably should expect. Last year was bad for a lot of reasons but we lost one or two games that we should have won. I expect us to be much better this year but don't neccesarily think the W's & L's will be the truest barometer of the teams progression. If we get 6 I'll be pleased. If we get more I'll be estatic. If we win less I will let the way we got to that record be the deciding factor in my opinion.
What he said.

MJ2

I think we get something like $20M a year for being part of the SEC, so we'll show up for the games and pay the coaches-  win, lose or draw - for the money.

Biggus Piggus

There you go guaranteeing dumb stuff again, Zep.
[CENSORED]!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: code red on August 13, 2014, 02:49:04 pm
Totally disagree with Rutgers vs. TT comparison.  TT was top 2 in passing last year.  TTech will not be a gimme.  They return 9 on offense.  They only return 4 on offense but....Rutgers is and was a mess.

So you have TT chalked up as a loss?  Rutgers had been a good team for years. TT was good very good under Leach but since then they have "been a mess" and just barely good.

Of course we have really stunk the last two years so I can understand us being the underdog.

hogsanity

Quote from: code red on August 13, 2014, 02:49:04 pm

I am comparing TT to Rutgers in that it is the true swing game.  Win that and the Hogs probably only need 2 SEC wins to go to a bowl at 6-6.  Lose that and a bowl is almost certainly out of the question, since I don't see 3 SEC wins at this point.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

three hog night

Again
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

LZH

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 13, 2014, 07:44:59 pm
There you go guaranteeing dumb stuff again, Zep.

It's not dumb, I guarantee you it's not.

A two year SEC record of 1-15 and he's not on the hot seat for year three?  Sure he is.  Bowl or bust.  Guaranteed.

Also, for an extra $1000, I'd like you to look at our extended warranties.

Chuck Beavers

I was optimistic last year and the year before. A broken heart has tempered my expectations this year.

Our quarterback play last year was horrible and we're planning a repeat. I know you guys have a million excuses, but I'm waiting to see something positive on the field before I get all giddy. The red-white game was not reassuring.

And then there is the defense...

Hoping for the best, but expecting a lot less.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 13, 2014, 08:17:03 am
You've got "majority" and "minority" backwards. The majority of people posting here have a cautious but positive view of the upcoming season.

Tis true but he minority shout the majority down.

KlubhouseKonnected

August 14, 2014, 01:34:29 pm #74 Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:07:47 pm by KlubhouseKonnected
Quote from: Peter Porker on August 13, 2014, 09:49:12 am
2013 vs 2014         advantage
Samford vs. Nichols        even
Southern Miss vs UAB      USM
ULL vs NIU                      even
Texas Tech vs Rutgers     even
A&M vs A&M                2013 A&M
LSU vs LSU                   2013 LSU
Bama vs Bama             2013 Bama
Auburn vs Auburn        2013 Auburn
Ole Miss vs Ole Miss    2014 Ole Miss
Miss St vs Miss St.       2014 Miss St.
SCAR vs Mizzou          SCAR
Florida vs UGA.              UGA

I disagree that TCU and Ruthers is even. I am also not willing to start saying that all those SEC teams are weakened. (I'll give you A&M).

The gimmies are still gimmies. I don't care about the relative difficulty between taking candy from a baby and taking candy from a slightly bigger baby. (I don't really consider NIU to be in this group, but to that extent I think that NIU will likely be better than ULL.)
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 14, 2014, 08:21:45 am
So you have TT chalked up as a loss?

Dude, I think you read WAY more into what people post than you should.

bp

jkstock04

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on August 14, 2014, 12:01:57 pm
I was optimistic last year and the year before. A broken heart has tempered my expectations this year.

Our quarterback play last year was horrible and we're planning a repeat. I know you guys have a million excuses, but I'm waiting to see something positive on the field before I get all giddy. The red-white game was not reassuring.

And then there is the defense...

Hoping for the best, but expecting a lot less.
I've gotta see it actually happen on the field in a legit game (not Nich. St) before i start drinking the Kool-Aid.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hog Villager on August 13, 2014, 04:34:15 pm

Agreed 100%. This summed up my feelings exactly.

You must be among the knights of rationality.

razorbackkid

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 14, 2014, 01:55:57 pm
I've gotta see it actually happen on the field in a legit game (not Nich. St) before i start drinking the Kool-Aid.
The road game @Auburn should let us know how sweet the Kool-Aid is and whether or not we need to make more.  I hoping I don't have to throw away the Kool-Aid and bring in the whiskey.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

code red

Quote from: hogsanity on August 14, 2014, 09:28:44 am
I am comparing TT to Rutgers in that it is the true swing game.  Win that and the Hogs probably only need 2 SEC wins to go to a bowl at 6-6.  Lose that and a bowl is almost certainly out of the question, since I don't see 3 SEC wins at this point.
No I agree...it is pivotal the Hogs beat Tech.  I don't think it is likely. 

KlubhouseKonnected

razorbackkid

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 14, 2014, 03:53:04 pm
I call that "hitting the eject button."
Can't "bail out" being a Hog fan, but may need some "medicine" to ease the pain at times if the Kool-Aid turns out sour.  ;)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: LZH on August 14, 2014, 11:29:44 am
It's not dumb, I guarantee you it's not.

A two year SEC record of 1-15 and he's not on the hot seat for year three?  Sure he is.  Bowl or bust.  Guaranteed.

Also, for an extra $1000, I'd like you to look at our extended warranties.
I can think of 12.8 million reasons why he won't be.

razorbackkid

popcornhog

Quote from: harrisburghog on August 13, 2014, 06:11:54 am
Just going to a bowl game should no longer be a measure of success, with all the bowl games there are now it doesn't take much to make one.

What an incredibly simple minded statement. A 6-6 season and liberty bowl game ARE NOT the goal. The goal in a National Championship. The FIRST STEP toward a National title is to improve to a bowl game. Then to a better bowl game, and a better bowl game after that. Then we would hope to be talking national titles around Bielema's 4th or 5th year. That would be incredible success. The kind of success Petrino was trying to build toward.
WPS

razorbackkid

Quote from: popcornhog on August 14, 2014, 04:25:20 pm
What an incredibly simple minded statement. A 6-6 season and liberty bowl game ARE NOT the goal. The goal in a National Championship. The FIRST STEP toward a National title is to improve to a bowl game. Then to a better bowl game, and a better bowl game after that. Then we would hope to be talking national titles around Bielema's 4th or 5th year. That would be incredible success. The kind of success Petrino was trying to build toward.
Patience is not one of our better qualities.  :)

Hogwild

Quote from: IntegrityHog on August 13, 2014, 01:02:19 pm

Very good post.  We were only a few plays away, and we got jobbed by Auburn.  If Coach B almost won 8 games in year 1 with the player Petrino left him, think how well he'll do this year.

We lost to Auburn by 3 touchdowns, and we didn't almost win 8 games, we would have had to gotten to 4,5,&6 first.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 14, 2014, 01:46:23 pm
Dude, I think you read WAY more into what people post than you should.

bp

Dude Really?
Didn't Rutgers beat us two years in a row?

If TT is that much better than Rutgers I would assume(freely) that the poster would be caulking that game up as a loss.

I was just asking if he was, hence the question mark at the end.  If it had been a statement I would have used a period...

LZH

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 14, 2014, 04:06:06 pm
I can think of 12.8 million reasons why he won't be.

Admittedly, I don't know how his buyout is scheduled.  $12.8M would be an obstacle, for sure....one that should be hung around Jeff Long's neck if BB's tenure doesn't pan out.  Regardless if you like BB or don't like him, the idea of being saddled with a guy who peaks at 6 wins just because he'd be too expensive to let go should concern everyone if we have another bad season this year.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: LZH on August 14, 2014, 07:23:14 pm
Admittedly, I don't know how his buyout is scheduled.  $12.8M would be an obstacle, for sure....one that should be hung around Jeff Long's neck if BB's tenure doesn't pan out.  Regardless if you like BB or don't like him, the idea of being saddled with a guy who peaks at 6 wins just because he'd be too expensive to let go should concern everyone if we have another bad season this year.
Well that's the whole point...clearly, this was not a hire where the AD said, "Eh, give him three years and see what he can do."

This was a hire more to the tune of  "This guy is going to be our head coach for at least 4 years and we're going to give him a chance to build the program. My guess is that Bielema will be here at least 5 years.

The only way he would be on the "hot seat" this year is if the team shows no improvement at all, and I don't mean that strictly speaking about the record. This team could go 3-9 again but be greatly improved. Again, the only reason he would be on the host seat is if the team didn't progress or if they regressed, and I don't see how that would be the case.

LZH

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 14, 2014, 07:29:29 pm
Well that's the whole point...clearly, this was not a hire where the AD said, "Eh, give him three years and see what he can do."

This was a hire more to the tune of  "This guy is going to be our head coach for at least 4 years and we're going to give him a chance to build the program. My guess is that Bielema will be here at least 5 years.

The only way he would be on the "hot seat" this year is if the team shows no improvement at all, and I don't mean that strictly speaking about the record. This team could go 3-9 again but be greatly improved. Again, the only reason he would be on the host seat is if the team didn't progress or if they regressed, and I don't see how that would be the case.

I agree that this "was not a hire where the AD said give him three years and see what he can do", but maybe it should have been, if you know what I mean.  Following the coach who was THE COACH doesn't work out very well more often than not.  Granted, Bielema was very successful in Madison and has the pedigree to suggest he's nothing but a winner.  However, that won't mean squat if he's here for 5 years and has only won a handful of SEC games.  So my point would be, if we're talking about money, when do you say 'when'?  When does Long say 'when'?

Jeff Long firing Petrino told me that he's not afraid to cut bait - or that could be worded as 'he's not necessarily going all-in by hitching his wagon to any one guy'.  The fact that BB has such a huge buyout isn't surprising considering the job he left to come here.  What is surprising is that Long would be willing to go down with the ship in the long run if BB doesn't start winning by year three.  I just don't see it.  I'd think that as organized as Long apparently is, he'd have access to the buyout money if he really, really needed it.  And imo, if BB can't break .500 by his third year, then Long just might really, really, need it.

Hawgon

I agree that we were really close last year.  But, far from finding optimism in that fact, I found it disheartening and concerning that our coaching staff, either through ill advised trick plays or lack of execution on the field, literally found ways to lose.

Oh well, we haven't lost a game yet this year and we might win them all.

lefty08

I dont know why we are talking about amount of wins by year 3 when year 2 hasnt even started. Thats akin to the thread of who our qb will be in 2017. Its just foolishness
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 12, 2014, 11:37:48 pm
Listening?  Are you blind and have an app that reads all the posts to you? The while listening tally all the posts predicting 5-7 or worse then all of those predicting 6-6 or better then sum then then calculate the % of each. That's quite impressive and makes me feel good about contributing to the Lions club.

But is it a simple majority like 50.1% to 49.9% overwhelming majority super majority. Since you are so dialed in to the pulse of Hogville and have run the numbers should be easy to say. Maybe do a pie chart

Well, Delta Bravo, I usually just get on here and chuckle about arseholes like yourself.

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 14, 2014, 04:03:27 pm
Can't "bail out" being a Hog fan, but may need some "medicine" to ease the pain at times if the Kool-Aid turns out sour.  ;)

When remembering the rest of what you are about to see will just be too much... hit the eject button.

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogwild on August 14, 2014, 04:35:48 pm
We lost to Auburn by 3 touchdowns, and we didn't almost win 8 games, we would have had to gotten to 4,5,&6 first.

He's not serious. He is a sham poster.
WPS

pigsooie4life

I expect 4-5 wins. But i also think we'll be close in a lot of games.  Are schedule is brutal though.   We have the toughest schedule in the country according to espn and the SEC network.

Peter Porker

Quote from: popcornhog on August 14, 2014, 10:35:57 pm
He's not serious. He is a sham poster.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice. I wish the mods would too.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.