Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Listening to the majority of HV posters

Started by OS2 (SW) Razor Back, August 12, 2014, 11:20:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

We would be better off forfeiting the 2014 season.

I'm in the minority.

I strongly believe we go bowling this year.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Listening?  Are you blind and have an app that reads all the posts to you? The while listening tally all the posts predicting 5-7 or worse then all of those predicting 6-6 or better then sum then then calculate the % of each. That's quite impressive and makes me feel good about contributing to the Lions club.

But is it a simple majority like 50.1% to 49.9% overwhelming majority super majority. Since you are so dialed in to the pulse of Hogville and have run the numbers should be easy to say. Maybe do a pie chart
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

popcornhog

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on August 12, 2014, 11:20:13 pm

I'm in the minority.

I don't think there really is a majority opinion. But a plurality are probably saying 6-6 and the liberty bowl. Or 5-7 and continued improvement.

Hell, there's a size able group that expects to beat AU and get right or nine wins.

I'm in the 6-6 camp.
WPS

LZH

Yeah, I don't get it either....I'm in for 7-5.  If we don't break .500, I might even say something negative about our coach.

It could actually happen.

intelligence

I'm in the minority.

I hear ya on that. Honestly, i don't have opinion. I could see us going 8-5 or better if the defense is good and brandon allen can handle business at qb. If those things don't happen, im not sure we win a single game in conference play. I'm hoping and praying brandon allen can summon his inner  :razorback: and everything will be gravy

KlubhouseKonnected

Honestly, it's what you probably should expect. Last year was bad for a lot of reasons but we lost one or two games that we should have won. I expect us to be much better this year but don't neccesarily think the W's & L's will be the truest barometer of the teams progression. If we get 6 I'll be pleased. If we get more I'll be estatic. If we win less I will let the way we got to that record be the deciding factor in my opinion.

popcornhog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 13, 2014, 12:01:58 am
Honestly, it's what you probably should expect. Last year was bad for a lot of reasons but we lost one or two games that we should have won. I expect us to be much better this year but don't neccesarily think the W's & L's will be the truest barometer of the teams progression. If we get 6 I'll be pleased. If we get more I'll be estatic. If we win less I will let the way we got to that record be the deciding factor in my opinion.

Samezies
WPS

TomasPistola

Everyone seems to think we'd save everyone a lot of time, trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves...
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

intelligence

Well put

Peter Porker

I don't get the "we will be better, but it might not show up in wins" statement. It's a real popular one though. It'd make sense if in our 9 losses last year we were blown out by 50 each game, but we weren't. We were competitive in several of those losses with real opportunities to win. We are a better team than last year. Some of our opponents may have gotten better too, but some of them have not. Some have gotten worse. We will win all of our OOC games. We will win 3-4 SEC games. We will go to a bowl game. (This all depends on injuries obviously)
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

1highhog

I'm in the minority.

I must say I'm impressed you've taken the time to do a comparative study on just how many in each category has said 6-6 or better, 5-7 or worse, or this other group I've yet to see that has said we need to forfeit this season.

I've said on many occasion that I'm sticking to 5-7, with a chance of going 6-6.  So what category did you put me in, and how many times since we've had this same polled question asked a dozen different times on here.  By the way, is it game week yet, anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Go hogs go

Our seasons has always and will always hinge on cb, qb and we play. From what I've read and seen they have improved at all three positions. How much they have improved will decide how good are record is. I have no idea how good of a team will be the year but I know we will be improved from last year. Also remember every year there's one or two teams that are hyped up that disappoint. I'm going into this season expecting improvement and I bet we win at least two games that know thought we would win. Go hogs go

harrisburghog

Just going to a bowl game should no longer be a measure of success, with all the bowl games there are now it doesn't take much to make one.

lefty08

Quote from: harrisburghog on August 13, 2014, 06:11:54 am
Just going to a bowl game should no longer be a measure of success, with all the bowl games there are now it doesn't take much to make one.

The qualifications are the same as they have always been. 6 wins have always got you to a bowl game in this conference. Nice try though
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

3kgthog

It actually must take a lot since we couldn't even win 1 conference game.

That's what we're stuck with with BB.  He'll often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory because he makes stupid game decisions. Get ready for the roller coaster.

Hogarusa

It would be real silly for the University of Arkansas to forfeit an entire season due to posts on a message board.  I dont even know if thats allowed
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

harrisburghog

As far as needing six wins to make a bowl game there have  been in the past and there are now teams that qualify that don't deserve to be there. Winning six to go play in the Poduck Bowl against Peon U just doesn't mean much. If your happy with that then the bar has sunk pretty low for this program.

Hogarusa

Quote from: lefty08 on August 13, 2014, 06:21:10 am
The qualifications are the same as they have always been. 6 wins have always got you to a bowl game in this conference. Nice try though

There were 19 bowl games in 1990, 25 in 2000, and in 2014 there will be 39.  Meanwhile D1 programs have decreased in size from 138 when the split happened in 1978 to 125 for 2014.  When 3 of your wins are Nicholls State, UAB, and N Illinois (all at home) then no, your measure of improvement shouldnt be making it to a bowl game.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Cinco de Hogo

Reading a lot of the post on Hogville I think we should forfeit the second half of the season so we don't exceed expectations and put undue pressure on the coaches to win the SEC on 2015.

LOL!

three hog night

Very nicely done.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Mike Irwin

You've got "majority" and "minority" backwards. The majority of people posting here have a cautious but positive view of the upcoming season.

The Hogfather

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 13, 2014, 06:25:07 am
It actually must take a lot since we couldn't even win 1 conference game.

That's what we're stuck with with BB.  He'll often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory because he makes stupid game decisions. Get ready for the roller coaster.

There are always highs and lows in sports and being a fan.....................If you can't enjoy the ride then get off.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 13, 2014, 08:17:03 am
You've got "majority" and "minority" backwards. The majority of people posting here have a cautious but positive view of the upcoming season.

Put me in that majority.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Piggfoot

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 13, 2014, 08:17:03 am
I approach every new season and every Hog game in this manner. Things change from year to year and game to game. Few people know  how teams will stack up against each other.....Vegas come closer to predicting than most.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TomasPistola on August 13, 2014, 12:15:58 am

Everyone seems to think we'd save everyone a lot of time, trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves...

Maybe they should put one of these in the locker room:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwpQDv03FsE

Inhogswetrust

Hogwild

Quote from: harrisburghog on August 13, 2014, 07:23:22 am
As far as needing six wins to make a bowl game there have  been in the past and there are now teams that qualify that don't deserve to be there. Winning six to go play in the Poduck Bowl against Peon U just doesn't mean much. If your happy with that then the bar has sunk pretty low for this program.

#1 Bowls are important, it gives the team 20 extra practice dates and it allows teams to build positive momentum for the next season.

#2 I don't think anyone is happy with where the program is at, with the exception of few Gus lovers. However reaching a bowl with our current team and schedule will be a major accomplishment for the program.

GolfnHog

Spot on! It all starts w/ Auburn. I think we have a barometer to start judging our thought processes with that game. Granted, it's a small sample size but it could be very telling.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Swineasaur

I don't know what you look at but most the post I see are claiming wins over Auburn and Bama. Lol

Mike Irwin

College football is difficult to predict even for people who live, eat and breathe it. Who could have foreseen Auburn's complete turnaround last year?

There are plenty of people who claimed they knew Arkansas would be awful but I didn't hear anybody a year ago predicting zero SEC wins before the season started.

I've been doing this for 40 years. I say a lot of things in the four or five months between spring ball and the season opener. I try to base what I report on the best available information. However, EVERY SINGLE YEAR as I'm getting ready to watch the opening kickoff of the season, I'm thinking to myself, Well Irwin, what the hell is going to happen now?

I don't really know.

I've got to believe that many fans go through the same thing. If they really don't know then being positive or being negative before the season starts is a personal choice. Fans I've been around over the years including friends of mine, generally choose to be positive.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 13, 2014, 03:21:03 am
I don't get the "we will be better, but it might not show up in wins" statement. It's a real popular one though. It'd make sense if in our 9 losses last year we were blown out by 50 each game, but we weren't. We were competitive in several of those losses with real opportunities to win. We are a better team than last year. Some of our opponents may have gotten better too, but some of them have not. Some have gotten worse. We will win all of our OOC games. We will win 3-4 SEC games. We will go to a bowl game. (This all depends on injuries obviously)

Schedule is more difficult. That is part of it.

alohawg

I'm as usual, cautiously optimistic.......just want to be over .500 with a couple nice upsets and no blowout losses this year.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hogsanity

Is predicting 6-6 saying we should forfeit the season?  I would say, of people posting a prediction on HV, the majority is right around 6-6.  When you look at the schedule, that is the conclusion that I come to.  I think they win all 4 ooc games ( TT is this years rutgers game ) then pick up a win against one of the MS schools, and either GA or A&M.  I just don't think the defense is deep enough or experienced enough to win at Auburn, or beat Bama anywhere.  Lose at Mizzu, and I also think LSU is just too talented. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RT1941

But it damn sure pays off the make a bowl.  It extends the season and more importantly gets the players/coaches more practice time when other teams are sitting on their ass.  Making a bowl game even as a 6-6 team has benefits and damn sure outweighs not making one.
RazorTusk!!!!

Pigsknuckles

After the past two seasons you can't blame the faithful for tempering their expectations. Only a few here really need to be coaxed away from the cliff.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Swineasaur

Really all BB has to do is make 3-4 wins with one being in the SEC to keep his arse off the burners. Long believes in Burt, but you can't go Ofer in the sec 2 years straight and not have any heat. Imo

Peter Porker

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 13, 2014, 09:17:08 am
Schedule is more difficult. That is part of it.

2013 vs 2014         advantage
Samford vs. Nichols        even
Southern Miss vs UAB      USM
ULL vs NIU                      even
Texas Tech vs Rutgers     even
A&M vs A&M                2013 A&M
LSU vs LSU                   2013 LSU
Bama vs Bama             2013 Bama
Auburn vs Auburn        2013 Auburn
Ole Miss vs Ole Miss    2014 Ole Miss
Miss St vs Miss St.       2014 Miss St.
SCAR vs Mizzou          SCAR
Florida vs UGA.              UGA
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

IntegrityHog

I'm in the minority.

GREAT post.  I totally agree! 

+1 to you.

WPS!!!!!  #1=0!!!!!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 13, 2014, 03:21:03 am
I don't get the "we will be better, but it might not show up in wins" statement.

It's easy to understand.  It's called hedging your bet...or lowering expectations, whichever you prefer.  It's a way to be "right" even if you are wrong.

I'm not making any predictions.  I'll just let the season play out and make assessments on what actually happens, not what other people and I think might happen.

LZH

Quote from: Swineasaur on August 13, 2014, 09:30:17 am
Really all BB has to do is make 3-4 wins with one being in the SEC to keep his arse off the burners. Long believes in Burt, but you can't go Ofer in the sec 2 years straight and not have any heat. Imo

Not even close.  If Bielema only wins one SEC game this year, I guarantee you he'll be coaching for his job next season.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: LZH on August 13, 2014, 10:00:27 am
Not even close.  If Bielema only wins one SEC game this year, I guarantee you he'll be coaching for his job next season.

Well, he could win one SEC game and end up 5-7, so that wouldn't put him on the hot seat at all, assuming the SEC losses are competitive and he eliminates the 30+ point shellackings.  Actually that would be measurable progress.

Plus it's been mentioned on here several times that the contract makes it financially unfeasible that he could be let go within the first five years no matter what the record.

Obviously no one would be happy or satisfied with one SEC win in two years and the criticism would certainly ratchet up in year 3, justifiably so.

But coaching for his job?  No

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Swineasaur

Quote from: LZH on August 13, 2014, 10:00:27 am
Do you see who our AD is? Long wouldn't want to put him on the hot seat if he went 0-12, if he gets to 4-8 with one sec victory that at least gives Long a crutch for not giving him the axe.

LZH

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 13, 2014, 10:14:49 amWell, he could win one SEC game and end up 5-7, so that wouldn't put him on the hot seat at all, assuming the SEC losses are competitive and he eliminates the 30+ point shellackings.  Actually that would be measurable progress.

Plus it's been mentioned on here several times that the contract makes it financially unfeasible that he could be let go within the first five years no matter what the record.

Well, yeah you're right about the 5-7 thing.  But say the only teams we beat are Nicholls State, UAB, and Miss State....I can't see (contract or not) how he could keep his job with another losing season in 2015.

I do admit that I have no idea how his buyout is scheduled over the next few years, and if I ever did I sure don't remember now.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 13, 2014, 10:14:49 am
Well, he could win one SEC game and end up 5-7, so that wouldn't put him on the hot seat at all, assuming the SEC losses are competitive and he eliminates the 30+ point shellackings.  Actually that would be measurable progress.

Some think he is already on the hot seat.

http://coacheshotseat.com/
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Swineasaur

PonderinHog

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 13, 2014, 09:49:12 am
2013 vs 2014         advantage
Samford vs. Nichols        even
Southern Miss vs UAB      USM
ULL vs NIU                      even
Texas Tech vs Rutgers     even
A&M vs A&M                2013 A&M
LSU vs LSU                   2013 LSU
Bama vs Bama             2013 Bama
Auburn vs Auburn        2013 Auburn
Ole Miss vs Ole Miss    2014 Ole Miss
Miss St vs Miss St.       2014 Miss St.
SCAR vs Mizzou          SCAR
Florida vs UGA.              UGA

So it isn't tougher it's just "still tough".  That's incouraging!