Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

West side facelift ?

Started by twistitup, August 12, 2014, 04:53:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

August 12, 2014, 04:53:05 pm Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:10:13 pm by twistitup
Was driving by RRS today and once again thought of how the west side could look much better than it does. All metal / cage is not a great look, how can we change this? While we spend millions on new facilities, let's make stadium improvements too.

I looks unfinished in my opinion, what's your opinion?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The_Iceman

Quote from: twistitup on August 12, 2014, 04:53:05 pm
Was driving by RRS today and once again thought of howxthecweztxsude can look much better than it does. All metal / cage is not a great look, how can we change this? While we spend millions on new facilities, let's make stadium improvements too.

I looks unfinished in my opinion, what's your opinion?

Its not as bad as some make it out to be, but it definitely doesn't look as clean as the SEZ and East-Side. Construction there would block all of Razorback Road most likely, so that may keep it from happening.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Facade should look the same on each side.  It's kind of like the girl that is only hot from a certain side or under just the right lighting, a two face if you will

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

bigbadhog

It looks terrible and definitely needs updates
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Cinco de Hogo

Build a deck along the west side of the stadium leaving Razorback rd a tunnel and then you could have lots more room for people to mingle and enter the stadium on top of making the resulting area very appealing.

That way you wouldn't have 20,000 people standing in the street trying to get in the upper entrances.

It would basically be level with the parking area on the west side of Razorback Rd and would be a fantastic area.

Mike Irwin

How many people renovate the sides and back of their home but leave the front looking like crap?

Rump Roast

People thought the Eiffel Tower was unfinished when they unveiled it too.  Everyone was waiting for them to cover the "skeleton" with plaster. 

Fun fact for the day.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 12, 2014, 06:17:17 pm
How many people renovate the sides and back of their home but leave the front looking like crap?

Probably correlates with same number who have a car on blocks with a tree being used as a motor lift.

PygmalionEffect

Besides usually walking across campus to the stadium, another reason why I always think of the back of RRS as being the front.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Jimmy

I recently drove by the west side exterior and was struck by how much maintenance was needed on the existing structure, not to mention the need for a complete overhaul.   

BorderPatrol

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 12, 2014, 06:43:05 pm
Besides usually walking across campus to the stadium, another reason why I always think of the back of RRS as being the front.

Wait, which side is the front?

bp

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 12, 2014, 05:02:04 pm
Facade should look the same on each side.  It's kind of like the girl that is only hot from a certain side or under just the right lighting, a two face if you will

+1....you deserve a donation to the Human Fund.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: BorderPatrol on August 12, 2014, 09:31:06 pm
Wait, which side is the front?

bp

The side facing in front of the campus is the back.

The side in the back coming from campus is the front.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 12, 2014, 09:36:02 pm

Clear as mud.

bp

twistitup

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 12, 2014, 05:57:25 pm
Build a deck along the west side of the stadium leaving Razorback rd a tunnel and then you could have lots more room for people to mingle and enter the stadium on top of making the resulting area very appealing.

That way you wouldn't have 20,000 people standing in the street trying to get in the upper entrances.

It would basically be level with the parking area on the west side of Razorback Rd and would be a fantastic area.

Deck would be awesome w / road running underneath

"Come tailgate on the biggest deck in the SEC"

When the deck gets finished and the west side finally looks complete the university should throw the - Big Swingin Deck Party....

It's time Jeff, finish that stadium

WSPHOG

West side is definitely in need of some work

bphi11ips

You guys really should go to a game in Neyland Stadium. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 12, 2014, 10:21:38 pm

I have, it and USCe are both a big pile of sh.. concrete!

Hogfaniam

The west side is WMS.  Yeah, I said it.

I sat over there during a spring game. It's old looking (not in a classic, good way) and cramped. How much smaller were people in the 40's and 50's?

You walk around the east side. "Not bad, a little nip tuck here and there, milfish."  You walk through the south end zone area. "Now, this is really nice (just don't look up at the very top)."  On to the west side.  "Oop, ran out of money"
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

bphi11ips

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 13, 2014, 07:00:42 am
I have, it and USCe are both a big pile of sh.. concrete!

If you've ever been to Quigley Stadium, imagine those bleachers  times 7 and you have Neyland.  Throw in pre-80 WMS restrooms. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 13, 2014, 07:29:40 am
If you've ever been to Quigley Stadium, imagine those bleachers  times 7 and you have Neyland.  Throw in pre-80 WMS restrooms.
I haven't seen Neyland in ten years or so.  It looked like a giant roller coaster from the outside.  I thought they did a major facelift a few years ago.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 13, 2014, 07:40:58 am
I haven't seen Neyland in ten years or so.  It looked like a giant roller coaster from the outside.  I thought they did a major facelift a few years ago.

Lipstick on a pig.  It's a great place to watch a football game unless you're claustrophobic. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 12, 2014, 10:21:38 pm

They've made some upgrades since I was there last.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 12, 2014, 09:36:02 pm

What about the front side, facing back, if coming from the side of campus, while walking backwards?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on August 13, 2014, 08:52:00 am
What about the front side, facing back, if coming from the side of campus, while walking backwards?

Dang...............I'm confused now and it's to early to start drinking.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgXi

Quote from: Hogfaniam on August 13, 2014, 07:18:21 am

I sat over there during a spring game. It's old looking (not in a classic, good way) and cramped. How much smaller were people in the 40's and 50's?

You walk around the east side. "Not bad, a little nip tuck here and there, milfish."  You walk through the south end zone area. "Now, this is really nice (just don't look up at the very top)."  On to the west side.  "Oop, ran out of money"

yes west side RRS actually very much like exterior of SEZ at WMS

Inhogswetrust

IIRC Razorback Road is actually designated a US Hwy. That created a problem being so close go the stadium on the westside and the ability to do a facade. I also remember reading where the road is being redone soon and hopefully that will negate the issue and the facade can then be done. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DEVIL DOG HOG

IMO; The front of the stadium is the Broyals Center. North end.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

wholehog92

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 13, 2014, 09:06:37 am
IIRC Razorback Road is actually designated a US Hwy. That created a problem being so close go the stadium on the westside and the ability to do a facade. I also remember reading where the road is being redone soon and hopefully that will negate the issue and the facade can then be done. 
Glad someone finally gave a bit of meaningful and correct reply and I managed to read until I found it.

I would also point out that Razorback road has a metric s ton of utilities under it.  The survey on razorback road looks like a trough of spaghetti.  Upgrading the outdoor track facade was miserable and it is farther off the road.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a full on major city type utility tunnel when they upgrade Razorback Road.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogfaniam on August 13, 2014, 07:18:21 am

They didn't run out of money. The plan was to make the West side facade like the East side facade but because of Razorback Road there isn't enough room. Frank was really pissed off about it but there was nothing else they could do. To finish the stadium, they would have to move Razorback Road quite a bit to the west but that would take out some Frat houses.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2014, 09:18:34 am
They didn't run out of money. The plan was to make the West side facade like the East side facade but because of Razorback Road there isn't enough room. Frank was really pissed off about it but there was nothing else they could do. To finish the stadium, they would have to move Razorback Road quite a bit to the west but that would take out some Frat houses.

I am confused.. there are no frat houses on razorback road. Those are on Stadium.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on August 13, 2014, 09:13:29 am
IMO; The front of the stadium is the Broyals Center. North end.
That's only because the home side of the stadium, which is the front of most stadiums, has been largely ignored when improvements have been made.

Getting in and out of RRS, making a trip to the concession stands or restrooms on the west side is a nightmare compared to the east and south sides.

It's cramped underneath, there's little space on the sidewalk out front and it's butt ugly compared to the other three sides.

wholehog92

Quote from: GuvHog on August 13, 2014, 09:18:34 am

LOL.  What frat house is on the other side of the road from RRS?

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/03/27/razorback-road-widening-planned-public-meeting-scheduled/
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: wholehog92 on August 13, 2014, 09:24:03 am
LOL.  What frat house is on the other side of the road from RRS?

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/03/27/razorback-road-widening-planned-public-meeting-scheduled/

AGR was there until around 2009 or so, it is now a parking lot I think

wholehog92

wholehog92

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on August 13, 2014, 09:27:44 am

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog link=topic=571801.msg9115892#yymsg9115892 date=1407939514
Where did you get that? Frank was never "pissed off." He could have had the brick and dryvit exterior taken to the top of the stadium like on the other three sides but he ran out of money.  He ran out of money because he was trying to get the project finished in time for the season. Some of the contractors told me they were throwing money at them to speed up the process.

Having three sides totally finished by the first game of the season was more important than taking their time and doing the whole thing right. So Frank had the contractors put up some decorative brick near the bottom of the west side leaving the erector set look we see to this day. Lipstick on a pig.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on August 13, 2014, 09:27:44 am

Alumni house, but neither are across from the west side. What is across, is numbered BM parking spots in the parking lots.

GuvHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 13, 2014, 09:37:46 am
Where did you get that? Frank was never "pissed off." He could have had the brick and dryvit exterior taken to the top of the stadium like on the other three sides but he ran out of money.  He ran out of money because he was trying to get the project finished in time for the season. Some of the contractors told me they were throwing money at them to speed up the process.

Having three sides totally finished by the first game of the season was more important than taking their time and doing the whole thing right. So Frank had the contractors put up some decorative brick near the bottom of the west side leaving the erector set look we see to this day. Lipstick on a pig.

If what you say is true and I believe it is, that was another of Franks big mistakes. that west side needs so much more than just a face lift though. That upper Concourse area is flat out terrible.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: ricepig on August 13, 2014, 09:43:00 am
Alumni house, but neither are across from the west side. What is across, is numbered BM parking spots in the parking lots.

I know where the alumni house is, and I know where the AGR house used to be.

twistitup

I say make razorback rd an entertainment and party district that is closed Gameday to vehicles. Fix up west side , have retail and bars / restaurants etc

Razorback rd is underutilized - no need for intramural fields let's make $$ and party

DEVIL DOG HOG

Curve Razorback road, starting at Mitchell, to the West. Connect at Maple. Use space, between relocated Razorback Road and the campus for parking and tailgating.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

PonderinHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 13, 2014, 09:56:47 am
I say make razorback rd an entertainment and party district that is closed Gameday to vehicles. Fix up west side , have retail and bars / restaurants etc

Razorback rd is underutilized - no need for intramural fields let's make $$ and party
Imminent domain and manifest destiny working hand in hand for the common good!   :razorback:

SDZ_Hog

bing maps
Wish they would box it in and add seats as demand goes up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PonderinHog

Maybe we can get Joan Rivers to donate to the cause.

hobhog

Quote from: twistitup on August 13, 2014, 09:56:47 am

That would be really cool. Doubt it ever happens, but would be really cool......

Inhogswetrust

They wouldn't have to worry about thugs breaking in if they did!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 13, 2014, 08:17:32 am

They've made some upgrades since I was there last.

I'm going to the UT/FL game this year with a couple friends and wondered what to expect. Sounds like I should keep expectations on the low end.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

RedSkiesAtNightHog