Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week Two Talking Points

Started by Oklahawg, August 11, 2014, 03:14:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

We are in week two. According to coaches we will start to see some movement of players as gameplans get installed and position battles intensify.

A few topics or questions have popped up that I hope to see addressed this week.

1. We have not heard much about our rookie DL beyond Jackson. How are Watts and Brown doing? For that matter, how is Marks looking?
2. Is Winston (still?) getting reps at DT or will he? I am thinking there was talk of using him as a third DE in obvious passing situations.
3. A lot of chatter about Wallace and Ragnow, for good reason. What about Koehler and Beck? They are guys in that second group that seem to have been ignored. Is Beck a placeholder or can he see the field? Is Koehler making progress getting back to where he was a year ago, pre-injury?

Add others. Maybe the media who post on the board can pick up the question and either answer if they've witnessed this (or I've missed the commentary). If not, maybe they can ask the question this week.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

three hog night

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 11, 2014, 03:14:18 pm
We are in week two. According to coaches we will start to see some movement of players as gameplans get installed and position battles intensify.

A few topics or questions have popped up that I hope to see addressed this week.

1. We have not heard much about our rookie DL beyond Jackson. How are Watts and Brown doing? For that matter, how is Marks looking?
2. Is Winston (still?) getting reps at DT or will he? I am thinking there was talk of using him as a third DE in obvious passing situations.
3. A lot of chatter about Wallace and Ragnow, for good reason. What about Koehler and Beck? They are guys in that second group that seem to have been ignored. Is Beck a placeholder or can he see the field? Is Koehler making progress getting back to where he was a year ago, pre-injury?

Add others. Maybe the media who post on the board can pick up the question and either answer if they've witnessed this (or I've missed the commentary). If not, maybe they can ask the question this week.

Marks at DT has been a kid that I had heard good things about.  He has gained some weight and muscle.  I just don't hear anything about him, but I am not sure that means he is not getting it done. 

Danenhauer, Koehler and Beck are all guys that have not made a splash yet.  I don't think Koehler could overcome an injury last year.  This is his RS FR year.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

scruf

Colquitt is already pushing Walker and Arinze on the depth chart. What does this mean about the depth at FB?

Cody Hollister: His JC highlights showed a big, physical, sure-handed redzone threat that really attacks the ball. What's his ceiling in year one?

The big surprises for the incoming class in week 1 were Kendrick Edwards and Randy Ramsey. Who shows out in week 2?

Is LB as weak as advertised by the preseason pundits? Who are the starters?

Down the Line: If Brandon Allen completes over 60% of his passes do the Hogs go bowling?

East TN HAWG

We should keep an eye on Morgan.  He showed off Saturday can he keep the momentum going? 

Oklahawg

Scruf, it is early, but it appears that all three rookie LBs are legit. Williams is a bit heavy but appears "as advertised".

When is the last time UA has been 4-4 in LB recruiting?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 11, 2014, 04:25:10 pm
Scruf, it is early, but it appears that all three rookie LBs are legit. Williams is a bit heavy but appears "as advertised".

240 lbs is heavy?? They say Ellis is 244lb.

Paul

Edwards showed off in this morning's practice

The Hogfather

Quote from: Paul on August 11, 2014, 04:48:12 pm

I really love hearing this!

ricepig

Quote from: Paul on August 11, 2014, 04:48:12 pm

Obvious Duwop did too.

This is the CATCH by @WOPDU that was off the charts. One day at a time! #HogBall #WoooPig http://t.co/eGn15sQf9s

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on August 11, 2014, 04:27:22 pm
240 lbs is heavy?? They say Ellis is 244lb.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Williams is heavier than they want him to be and it is causing him to be slow. Weight is relative to the player.

Razor6

I am gonna tag on another post started.

I think this is a good week to talk Special Teams.  Kick Off Returners.  Place Kicking etc
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

scruf

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 11, 2014, 04:25:10 pm

I can't remember. I just keep thinking, this is the biggest, fastest group of LBs we've EVER had on campus and their position coach is Randy Shannon...how are they *not* going to be better than last year?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 11, 2014, 03:14:18 pm

The biggest question that I have may not be answered until sometime next week. I want to see the depth chart for the Auburn game. Just want to see how all of this shakes out on both sides of the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 12, 2014, 06:00:30 am
The biggest question that I have may not be answered until sometime next week. I want to see the depth chart for the Auburn game. Just want to see how all of this shakes out on both sides of the ball.

Ok, but the OP is about talking points for this week. What's your biggest question for this week.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 12, 2014, 06:22:25 am
Ok, but the OP is about talking points for this week. What's your biggest question for this week.

Again, depth chart moves.
Go Hogs Go!