Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith

Started by swinesation, August 11, 2014, 11:46:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

So, it has caught my attention how little is being said about Robb Smith - by the players and by the media. Is this a good thing? I don't know - it concerns me, but I'll admit that I might be fretting about nothing.

I would think that if players, other coaches, and/or the media were impressed with what Robb Smith has brought to the table, we'd be hearing things like "Robb Smith's defense is going to make a big difference on the field" or "guys love playing for Robb Smith" or "we're learning things we didn't learn before" or "there's a new attitude on the defensive side of the ball" or "Coach Smith's attention to detail is a welcome change."

You get the idea. Somebody make me feel better please.

Bubba's Bruisers

He hasn't even coached a game yet.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogcam

Have you been listening to Beliema? He talked about how great the defensive staff was in his last interview.

PeabodyHawg

Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith, Robb Smith......

That should hold you for a while.

GalaHawg

During the latest interviews with players from past week had quite a few mentions of Coach Smith - especially from the secondary guys loving the new scheme with more aggressiveness, bump and run coverage, not giving big cushions, etc. Also, a lot of talk about the "smart swarm" - a mentality brought in by Coach Smith.

PygmalionEffect

Yea, I think this is a case of you just not listening intently.

The coaches are cautious not to over sell what the results could end up being this fall, but even with that CBB has made numerous comments about how much more aggressive and effective the defense has been compared to last year, including causing more turnovers.

But it's still just practice, so no one should get overly excited just yet, and I think that is the demeanor the coaches are trying to show, although CBB seems genuinely impressed with Smith based on what I've heard him say.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

swinesation

Thanks guys - I'm feeling better.

Mostly I get my info on MMQ, focusing on the occasional thread that has substance to it. So I guess my main issue is very little has been shared on MMQ about things heard from coaches, players, and media about Smith.

In other words, I think it was about time for this thread. :) I appreciate the information!

trashcan maN

Players deal almost exclusively with their position coach, so you wont hear as much from them about coordinators.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 11, 2014, 12:59:25 pm
Players deal almost exclusively with their position coach, so you wont hear as much from them about coordinators.

This is normally the case. However I have heard a lot of the DB's mention Coach Smith

onebadrubi

Quote from: swinesation on August 11, 2014, 12:45:21 pm

Hogville has never been known to make ANYONE feel better!  haha

swinesation

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 11, 2014, 01:03:28 pm
This is normally the case. However I have heard a lot of the DB's mention Coach Smith

Well, I think Coach Smith coaches DB's, correct? Seems like I remember reading that he splits duty with one of his assistants, one taking safeties and the other taking CB's.

Wildhog

Quote from: swinesation on August 11, 2014, 11:46:53 am
So, it has caught my attention how little is being said about Robb Smith - by the players and by the media. Is this a good thing? I don't know - it concerns me, but I'll admit that I might be fretting about nothing.

I would think that if players, other coaches, and/or the media were impressed with what Robb Smith has brought to the table, we'd be hearing things like "Robb Smith's defense is going to make a big difference on the field" or "guys love playing for Robb Smith" or "we're learning things we didn't learn before" or "there's a new attitude on the defensive side of the ball" or "Coach Smith's attention to detail is a welcome change."

Mother of God.  Let the man coach a game.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Kig

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 11, 2014, 01:07:29 pm
Hogville has never been known to make ANYONE feel better!  haha

The percentages have to be staggering... but now we have moved the decimal point....  .01% and counting.
Poker Porker

bosshog84

Quote from: swinesation on August 11, 2014, 01:08:42 pm
Well, I think Coach Smith coaches DB's, correct? Seems like I remember reading that he splits duty with one of his assistants, one taking safeties and the other taking CB's.

Yes, he is the defensive coordinator/secondary coach

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: swinesation on August 11, 2014, 11:46:53 am

Good grief, get a grip dude!!

GolfnHog

There's been an old adage out there for years: "sometimes no news is good news". But like other posters have stated, Smith and his system seem to be making progress from last year. The proof of those statements starts 8/30. More importantly, I hope we all see sustantial gains.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

swinesation

I think it's funny that guys get riled up over my OP. I didn't throw any flames; I was just wanting to hear some stuff about the new DC. Settle down.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Wildhog on August 11, 2014, 01:12:49 pm
Mother of God.  Let the man coach a game.
Take a xanax...or a vacation.

Piggfoot

Quote from: swinesation on August 11, 2014, 01:08:42 pm
That is incorrect.  Both coaches work together with both groups so everyone is on the same page.
your scenario was last years coaching
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: swinesation on August 11, 2014, 12:45:21 pm

Mostly I get my info on MMQ, focusing on the occasional thread that has substance to it. So I guess my main issue is very little has been shared on MMQ about things heard from coaches, players, and media about Smith.

In other words, I think it was about time for this thread. :) I appreciate the information!
Okay, problem number 1...you get your information from MMQB. I spend WAYYYY too much time here, according to my wife, but this is NOT the best place for information. If you want to read opinions, bashing, or whining you have come to the right place. Now, there are some posters i.e. UU, Mike, Okla, etc. that you can trust with info, but even then it is based largely on their opinion. They do, however, have a ring side seat most of the time. Best to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the actual games. Then you can come here and give your own opinion about Rob. But whatever your opinion might be, I promise you that there will be some that don't like the "style" that our defense plays. Even if we shut out our entire schedule.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

sowmonella

Quote from: Wildhog on August 11, 2014, 03:07:46 pm
I like this plan. 

Xanax AND a vacation sounds pretty good right now.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Wildhog

Quote from: sowmonella on August 11, 2014, 03:11:39 pm
Xanax AND a vacation sounds pretty good right now.

Yes it does.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Biggus Piggus

There's lots of talk about the team and coaches. But we have no wins yet. Somebody make me feel better. Where are the wins?
[CENSORED]!

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 11, 2014, 03:48:26 pm
There's lots of talk about the team and coaches. But we have no wins yet. Somebody make me feel better. Where are the wins?
We have no losses. Now, feel better?
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

MissippHog

Sky is falling!  Sky is falling!

WorfHog

Quote from: Jamie Jones on August 11, 2014, 03:49:51 pm
We have no losses. Now, feel better?

UNDEFEATED HELL YEAH!

East TN HAWG

Oh but BP, there are no losses. We are undefeated so far this year.  Allen is playing well.  Derby, Morgan, Ragnow, Jefferson, Jackson, Ramsey, Tolliver are all doing very well.   Optimism is in the air.   

Fatty McGee

Arkansas Razorbacks Football, where all the recruits are waiting to be first-rounders, all the coaches are the best at their positions, and all the players are All-Americans!

I love preseason.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

870hogfan

I think Robb will be an improvement over Ash..

tophawg19

If it makes you feel better , right now with our record we are still in the hunt for the National Championship
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Phil D

Build it and they will come. I believe coach BB is building it. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Hog N Bama

I like the upbeat attitude Smith brings to the defense. And, I can see some confidence with it.  I'm excited to see it in this season! WPS!

Cinco de Hogo

I just Robbed Smith!

hawgmasta

I've seen like 10-12 positive posts about Robb Smith in here.

LZH

Quote from: hawgmasta on August 12, 2014, 11:15:24 pm
I've seen like 10-12 positive posts about Robb Smith in here.

I complained when he was hired (shocking, I know) because I thought it felt like a Kay Stephenson or Roy Wittke kind of hire.....second-rate at best; especially with all the guesswork going on about why Shannon wasn't promoted.

But from what I understand, our defense looks a helluva lot better than it has.  We're aggressive now......finally.  So maybe he can get it done.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Quote from: LZH on August 12, 2014, 11:22:45 pm
I complained when he was hired (shocking, I know) because I thought it felt like a Kay Stephenson or Roy Wittke kind of hire.....second-rate at best; especially with all the guesswork going on about why Shannon wasn't promoted.

But from what I understand, our defense looks a helluva lot better than it has.  We're aggressive now......finally.  So maybe he can get it done.

I believe the 10-12 line went right over your head... 

LZH

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 13, 2014, 08:11:25 am
I believe the 10-12 line went right over your head... 

Wouldn't be the first time.....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jamie Jones on August 11, 2014, 02:48:09 pm
I spend WAYYYY too much time here, according to my wife

My wife knows how to get me off here........................................ ;D
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on August 12, 2014, 11:22:45 pm

Roy Wittke I believe was a better coach than his boss we had at the time..................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 13, 2014, 09:18:22 am
My wife knows how to get me off here…………………………………. ;D

My wife wants me on here more!
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on August 13, 2014, 09:31:39 am
My wife wants me on here more!

My sympathies...................No wait did you mean on here or her..............................?

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 13, 2014, 09:30:39 am
Roy Wittke I believe was a better coach than his boss we had at the time..................................

You're probably right.  But at the time, I was like "Roy who?"  That's pretty much how I felt about the "Robb who?" hire.  I guess the earlier post was my way of pre-admitting that I could be wrong about "Robb who"....maybe he is the guy that's finally gonna put our defense back on the map after all.

Inhogswetrust

August 13, 2014, 05:02:31 pm #45 Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:01:05 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: LZH on August 13, 2014, 09:53:08 am
You're probably right.  But at the time, I was like "Roy who?"  That's pretty much how I felt about the "Robb who?" hire.  I guess the earlier post was my way of pre-admitting that I could be wrong about "Robb who"....maybe he is the guy that's finally gonna put our defense back on the map after all.

Roy had not been at a big time school prior to coming here but he did have a good reputation IIRC. Let's all hope Robb can be the guy to get the D to do better!

Count De Money

I believe he was defensive coordinator and db coach at Rutgers the past 2 years that we played them. I remember thinking at that time that their db's flat brought the wood to our receivers and wished he was working with our defense. 

ricepig

Quote from: Count De Money on August 13, 2014, 06:16:38 pm
I believe he was defensive coordinator and db coach at Rutgers the past 2 years that we played them. I remember thinking at that time that their db's flat brought the wood to our receivers and wished he was working with our defense. 

He was at Tampa Bay last year.

Cure

I like his system and what he brings to the table.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 11, 2014, 04:17:02 pm
Arkansas Razorbacks Football, where all the recruits are waiting to be first-rounders, all the coaches are the best at their positions, and all the players are All-Americans!

I love preseason.

You do realize this is the best staff ever assembled anywhere and if we were smart we would sign them all to lifetime contracts and give them all a lifetime membership in the jelly of the month club.

Ive only been on here a couple of years but it seems like everyday somebody has to mention how great the staff is and its the best ever at Arkansas. What ever happened to the old adage let their record speak for itself?

But I totally agree with your post, it gets quite comical right up until the point reality sets in.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.