Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's just amazing how thorough Bielema is in every facet of building a program

Started by luke hawg, August 10, 2014, 10:09:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 11, 2014, 11:33:26 am
The only reason Florida's stayed so clean thus far is that after the arrests over the past several seasons (plus all the thugs from FSU) the jails in that part of Florida are so full the cops have called the teams and asked them to stop sending them players.

Ha!

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 11, 2014, 11:33:26 am
The only reason Florida's stayed so clean thus far is that after the arrests over the past several seasons (plus all the thugs from FSU) the jails in that part of Florida are so full the cops have called the teams and asked them to stop sending them players.

Ha! Love it.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Phil D

Quote from: hogz17 on August 11, 2014, 09:57:34 am
He is a rube, but he has great self preservation skills.  He knows he will not be successful here and that he will be outgunned in both personnel and coaching acumen in most all games.  He rattles about all the grades and whatnot to appease his boss.  It is all he has to talk about. You don't hear him rattling about beating everyone this year. You simply hear him rattle about the process.  The process is job security and excuse making for future years here and elsewhere.
Saban rattles a lot about the process too. What was his first season at Bama like?
GO HOGS!!!!!!

LJHOG

I still prefer the Nick Saban approach to building a program.  Recruit well enough so 5* players are running 3rd on the depth chart.

jkstock04

Quote from: greenie on August 11, 2014, 11:03:02 am
It's easy to get on here and say CBB is a rube, or he hasn't done anything until he's won a game.  I understand if you don't like what he's doing, but back it up with more than "he needs to win"...tell us what you think he should be doing differently.  There are plenty of posts on here talking specifically about what he's doing right.  I'd like to hear what some of the knowledgeable on hogville think CBB should do that he's not.  Otherwise you're just a whiner.
I'm concerned about his/this staffs ability to develop a QB. So far we haven't seen any evidence they are capable of this. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: Phil D on August 11, 2014, 11:49:56 am
Saban rattles a lot about the process too. What was his first season at Bama like?
Going off top of my head I believe they went 6-6...& won their bowl game to go 7-6. Oh ya and one of the conference games they won was against us (weird right?) with us having one of the if not the best backfield in college football history.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

chitwnhog

Quote from: Phil D on August 11, 2014, 11:49:56 am

He lost to ULM n 4 straight at the end of the season but he recovered nicely the next year n won the SEC West.

three hog night

Quote from: jkstock04 link=topic=571701.msg9112943#msg9112943

We've seen NO evidence they had a healthy QB to coach all season last year. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Quote from: DawgTownHog on August 11, 2014, 11:15:00 am
You're somethin...that other guy is somethin else. My point is that many here with "contrary points of view" want to complain that they get attacked for voicing their "opinion". The vast majority of the time their "opinion" is much like Hogz17 which is general "Bielema sucks" tripe. You actually post valid concerns. If the other Negative Nancys would just follow your lead.   ;)

Amen brutha.   I'm just not capable of tolerating the "he sux, he's a rube" kind of comments.  I can handle LZH and others that seem to have a personal concern withOUT being personal.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: LJHOG on August 11, 2014, 11:52:07 am
I still prefer the Nick Saban approach to building a program.  Recruit well enough so 5* players are running 3rd on the depth chart.

It wasn't that way at the beginning.  He had to build it up, as well as Bama is known for some questionable recruiting tactics.  Families with no money in government housing moving to ttown with new escalades and nice houses, etc.  What you are seeing now is the dividends of great coaching good recruiting and multipe national championships. 

chitwnhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 11, 2014, 11:53:12 am
I'm concerned about his/this staffs ability to develop a QB. So far we haven't seen any evidence they are capable of this. 

His/This staff have 4 QB's in the NFL...maybe more. I don't have the energy to check thoroughly. 

chitwnhog

Quote from: three hog night on August 11, 2014, 12:12:51 pm
Amen brutha.   I'm just not capable of tolerating the "he sux, he's a rube" kind of comments.  I can handle LZH and others that seem to have a personal concern withOUT being personal.

Exactly! Come correct or don't come at all.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 10:14:32 am
And once again, we see that coloring outside the lines is ridiculous and unacceptable - but somehow heaping tons of praise and sapping over a guy that has yet to win an SEC game is completely normal.

Woo hoo.
There is a big difference between "coloring outside the lines" and being a massive jackwagon, trashing our coach in a thread that actually points out a list of things said coach is doing well.

That's not fandom, it's douchebaggery.
All Gas, No Brakes!

three hog night

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 11, 2014, 12:23:42 pm
There is a big difference between "coloring outside the lines" and being a massive jackwagon, trashing our coach in a thread that actually points out a list of things said coach is doing well.

That's not fandom, it's douchebaggery.

I couldn't have said it better...............

greenie

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 11, 2014, 11:53:12 am

Can't argue with this one.  Although this probably falls more on Chaney...in fact, in my mind, I need to see more creativity out of our offense.  We were pretty vanilla last year (understatement!), but there were many factors that probably contributed to that.  I see a head coach playing more of an administrative, ceo-type of role, and I think that CBB has been pretty good at that.  I get the feeling that if our offense is as predictable as it was last year, that Chaney might be on the ropes.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 11:08:36 am
I'll take that as a compliment DTH......I'm not only irritating, but focused as well.              :P

Focused like that dang misquito that won't go away!  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Deep Shoat

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 11:17:13 am
I've read this alot on here.  Isn't that just another way of saying 'he is in over his head'?
Maybe it's a way of saying "He stepped off in the deep end and had to learn how to swim".

There are plenty of people in this world who get rich when they are in over their head. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

MJ2

Thorough = W's

Unprepared = L's

Add 'em up at the end of the season and we'll have our measurement.

three hog night

Quote from: greenie on August 11, 2014, 12:26:44 pm
Can't argue with this one.  Although this probably falls more on Chaney...in fact, in my mind, I need to see more creativity out of our offense.  We were pretty vanilla last year (understatement!), but there were many factors that probably contributed to that.  I see a head coach playing more of an administrative, ceo-type of role, and I think that CBB has been pretty good at that.  I get the feeling that if our offense is as predictable as it was last year, that Chaney might be on the ropes.

Chaney had 1 QB and he was injured in the 3rd game.   The rest of the season was reactive based on what the injury allowed the QB to do.

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 11, 2014, 12:27:40 pm
Focused like that dang misquito that won't go away!  ;)

Yepper, whenever the discussion begins to require hip boots, that endless buzzing noise is none other than 'you-know-who'.

Deep Shoat

LZH, I see you often fighting battles for guys like hogz17.  You seem to project the cold reception they get onto yourself.  But it isn't the same thing.

While you may have doubts about the direction of the program, you aren't a jerk about it.  You make your point in a reasonable way, you are willing to listen to the other points of view, and even seem willing to concede a point when shown evidence to the contrary.

hogz17 and those like him bring nothing but negativity and sarcasm to the table.  They offer no commentary besides "Burt suxs" and "Jeff Long is a yankee carpetbagger".

That is why they get smacked around by posters who have a more positive outlook.

You aren't them.  You don't need to fight for them.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: MJ2 on August 11, 2014, 12:29:43 pm
Thorough = W's

Unprepared = L's

No, you will have A measurement. 

Next season will chart a different set of coordinates.

I know you understand that 2 seasons is not an effective measure of success.
All Gas, No Brakes!

LZH

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 11, 2014, 12:29:18 pm
Maybe it's a way of saying "He stepped off in the deep end and had to learn how to swim".

There are plenty of people in this world who get rich when they are in over their head. 

As for the "he underestimated the SEC" bit...I, for one, have never believed it for a second (at least not as far as athletes go).  He has been around, was a DC and then a head coach at a Big10 school - he's seen talent and speed.  He sure didn't have any problem rounding up our All-SEC ground game in the Cap One Bowl that year.

That's not to say that he didn't learn from last year....I sure hope he did.  We were so sloppy and unprepared in most games last year that even the dimmest of coaching talents could watch the film of those games in the offseason and know that was a problem.

LZH

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 11, 2014, 12:37:29 pm
LZH, I see you often fighting battles for guys like hogz17.  You seem to project the cold reception they get onto yourself.  But it isn't the same thing.

While you may have doubts about the direction of the program, you aren't a jerk about it.  You make your point in a reasonable way, you are willing to listen to the other points of view, and even seem willing to concede a point when shown evidence to the contrary.

hogz17 and those like him bring nothing but negativity and sarcasm to the table.  They offer no commentary besides "Burt suxs" and "Jeff Long is a yankee carpetbagger".

That is why they get smacked around by posters who have a more positive outlook.

You aren't them.  You don't need to fight for them.

I admitted that he was a little too bitter for my taste, but alot of other times that could seen as splitting hairs.  I think I chime in on occasions like that not because I agree with guys like him, but because nowadays there is an overabundance of following the crowd when it comes to 'speaking one's mind' around here.

hawgwash

Quote from: MJ2 on August 11, 2014, 12:29:43 pm
Thorough = W's

Unprepared = L's

That's not necessarily true.  Let's say you are the world's greatest poker player, and I am a novice playing against you.  I know the rules but that's about it.  But if I draw 4 aces every hand, and the best you can do is a pair of 3's every hand, I'm going to win more hands than you even if you play your pair of 3's perfectly.  You have to judge the poker player by how he plays the hand he's dealt.  Same with coaches.  And let's face it, CBB wasn't dealt very many good cards last year. 

Now its his job to seek out and attract better "cards" through recruiting, but last year he only had what he inherited and the true freshmen he recruited in a short recruiting year.  If he doesn't start to improve his "hand" as he signs another recruting class or two, then that's on him.  And if gets better hands and doesn't play them well, that's on him too.  But it is fair to say that a good number of our best perfromers last year were some of the freshmen he recruited.

twistitup

Pump breaks.... Let's start winning before we determine CBB's program building skills. He says he's working a plan that will succeed and only time will tell.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

elksnort

Quote from: Uncommon on August 11, 2014, 10:26:51 am
Here's to hoping it translates to 6-6 regular season, a bowl game, and a recruiting class ranked between 19-23 nationally.
I like this post. I could not have said it better.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 11, 2014, 08:49:44 am

That said, the OP just described what any good coach would do.

Right.  I am a Bielema fan, but he is only doing what any good coach does.  He is putting in place systems, players and coaches which lead to winning.  He is expected to be good at it, that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

I think he has a good plan, but I don't see anything amazing about it.

carolinahogger

Quote from: hawgwash on August 11, 2014, 12:59:46 pm
That's not necessarily true.  Let's say you are the world's greatest poker player, and I am a novice playing against you.  I know the rules but that's about it.  But if I draw 4 aces every hand, and the best you can do is a pair of 3's every hand, I'm going to win more hands than you even if you play your pair of 3's perfectly.  You have to judge the poker player by how he plays the hand he's dealt.  Same with coaches.  And let's face it, CBB wasn't dealt very many good cards last year. 

That is one of the worst poker analogies I have ever seen.

Pro tip:  We all get the same cards in the long run.

The Kig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 11, 2014, 12:29:18 pm

Being in over your head is not all that uncommon... especially when dealing with the ego's that come with big time coaching.  Many of the points made about CBB by the detractors have some basis in fact. 

However, what has impressed me about him more than just about anything he has done so far is that he is willing to adapt.  Before the HUNH vs Ground & Pound crowd gets all wound up, I am not talking about base philosophy.  He has a fundamental structure for his plan that he will not deviate from, but he also recognized that some of the assumptions/things he did weren't working. 

I really believe that the changes on the Defensive side of the ball with pay dividends quickly.

Poker Porker

Peter Porker

The problem I, and I assume many, have with the "darksiders" is they didn't like Bielema from the beginning. He didn't do anything to warrant the hate. One can understand the disdain for Nutt, Petrino and JLS.

They jump to every possible negative about OUR COACH, or turn everything into a bashfest. Some of us take exception to the constant bashing of OUR COACH.

Also, you get the sense they actually hope we fail so they can be right.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Kevin

if players were getting arrested, and leaving school because of academics, then we could all ask what the plan is.

you can see there is a plan, that is better than no plan.

the football program is like a farmers crop. the work is being done, we just cannot see the growth, yet ,because it is still underground. but, it is growing.

need some wins to help the building process
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jowl@themoon

Listened to coach Pat Jones here in Tulsa today talk about the Hogs. Last year at this time he said we weren't very good. I didn't like it but he was right. Today he said there had been a lot of improvement since the spring and he thought we would win 6 games. Said we had more players who looked the part. 6 wins would be incredible and would put the recruiting train in high gear. IMHO

MJ2

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 11, 2014, 12:38:55 pm
No, you will have A measurement. 

Next season will chart a different set of coordinates.

I know you understand that 2 seasons is not an effective measure of success.

Agree that it is A measurement and that regardless of the W's & L's this year no future decision will be released until at least the end of year 3 and likely year 4.

razorbackkid

Coach Bielema could go 0'fer again this year in conference and get fired, however the overall state of the football program would be in better shape than when he got hired.

Not much consolation in that statement, but I believe it to be truthful.

Go Hogs.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Solomwi on August 11, 2014, 11:10:48 am
So, he's doing the same stuff that everyone other SEC coach does. Check
Wrong. He's doing the stuff that every other SEC coach does, but he does it better. The other coaches, that are at the top, have had the benefit of more than one year in the SEC. They also have had the benefit of not following a long line of screw-ups of former coaches and the attrition that accumulated because of those coaches. Tennessee is also going through the same thing. The only thing Coach Bielema can control is how he runs the program going forward. And the "process" that he is using to get there, is working better than that of any of the other schools. Exhibit the graduation rates, attrition, arrests, and recruiting. Someone else asked for examples of what he is doing wrong. And all I see is whining about not winning. Well, if doing the process the right way leads too success on the field, then we have a lot to look forward to.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

three hog night

Quote from: Jamie Jones on August 11, 2014, 02:25:29 pm
Wrong. He's doing the stuff that every other SEC coach does, but he does it better. The other coaches, that are at the top, have had the benefit of more than one year in the SEC. They also have had the benefit of not following a long line of screw-ups of former coaches and the attrition that accumulated because of those coaches. Tennessee is also going through the same thing. The only thing Coach Bielema can control is how he runs the program going forward. And the "process" that he is using to get there, is working better than that of any of the other schools. Exhibit the graduation rates, attrition, arrests, and recruiting. Someone else asked for examples of what he is doing wrong. And all I see is whining about not winning. Well, if doing the process the right way leads too success on the field, then we have a lot to look forward to.

A very good point about Tenner in the same boat and our long line of screw ups by coaches.

three hog night

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2014, 01:52:04 pm
The problem I, and I assume many, have with the "darksiders" is they didn't like Bielema from the beginning. He didn't do anything to warrant the hate. One can understand the disdain for Nutt, Petrino and JLS.

They jump to every possible negative about OUR COACH, or turn everything into a bashfest. Some of us take exception to the constant bashing of OUR COACH.

Sadly you are right

LZH

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 11, 2014, 01:52:04 pm

I certainly do not 'hate' him, but I'll be the first to admit that I haven't felt the same way about him since his twitter BS.  So, my distrust of his leadership abilities didn't just come out of nowhere.

greenie

+1

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 02:41:02 pm
I certainly do not 'hate' him, but I'll be the first to admit that I haven't felt the same way about him since his twitter BS.  So, my distrust of his leadership abilities didn't just come out of nowhere.

Twitter b.s.? That's your hang up?

LZH

Jamie Jones

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 02:43:59 pm
That pretty much started it, yeah.
Really?? And I thought I had it bad. I quit rooting for Nolan when he walked off the floor in Austin because he thought the Hogs were going to lose and he had told his team he would never see them lose to Texas. Mayberry hit the 3 and the rest is history. But Nolan quit his team (in my mind). Said later that he had to go to the restroom. But I never believed that. But you fell out with a coach for standing his ground on social media? I actually liked that he stood up for himself and called it like he saw it. To each his own, I guess.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

chitwnhog

Don't feed the troll...

LZH

Quote from: Jamie Jones on August 11, 2014, 03:05:55 pm
Really?? And I thought I had it bad. I quit rooting for Nolan when he walked off the floor in Austin because he thought the Hogs were going to lose and he had told his team he would never see them lose to Texas. Mayberry hit the 3 and the rest is history. But Nolan quit his team (in my mind). Said later that he had to go to the restroom. But I never believed that. But you fell out with a coach for standing his ground on social media? I actually liked that he stood up for himself and called it like he saw it. To each his own, I guess.

I remember that.  We were at a friend's house and the entire room went ballistic when he threw his coat over his shoulder and started walking off.  I kept saying "he'll turn around, he's not going all the way to the locker room, he'll turn around, etc."  For a lot of people, Lee Mayberry saved Nolan's butt that day.

It's not unlike the Bielema tweet thing.  If he starts to win this year, I can get over it pretty quick.

870hogfan

No actually he would have suspended Marshall unlike Gus...

Wildhog

Sounds like a good start, then?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

three hog night

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 02:41:02 pm

Come on...let it go about the twitter crap

LZH

Quote from: three hog night on August 11, 2014, 04:00:23 pm
Come on...let it go about the twitter crap

When Bielema acts like a real leader and/or wins some games, I will.