Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's just amazing how thorough Bielema is in every facet of building a program

Started by luke hawg, August 10, 2014, 10:09:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

Minimize attrition by improving team GPA and reducing off field incidents: check
Improve S and C program by bringing along Ben Herbert:check
Acquire top notch recruiting staff Pittman( O-line), Jennings (DFW), Smith (South Louisiana), Shannon ( South Florida): check
Maximize talent on 85 by improving walk-on program: check
Lockdown Arkansas Talent: In progress and will be accomplished with wins

Razor6

He is truly invested! 

This chapter of our Hog FB program is getting really fun.  I hope it is a nice LONG chapter of success!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

JIHawg

Quote from: luke hawg on August 10, 2014, 10:09:54 pm
Minimize attrition by improving team GPA and reducing off field incidents: check
Acquire top notch recruiting staff Pittman( O-line), Jennings (DFW), Smith (South Louisiana), Shannon ( South Florida): check

Very good points.  So far, so good.

Hawgey-Davidson

Totally agree. The days of bringing in players off the intramural field is gone. So is Hootie. Thank you Jesus.

VT HOG

Hawgzinbowlz

Razor6

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on August 10, 2014, 11:52:34 pm
20 days and we'll see our on the field progress.

" GO HOGS "

In that case... Let's not wait and just go ahead and, Beat Auburn!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Jek Tono Porkins

It's not exaggeration when someone says that this program is improved in every facet except the win column. Of course CBB going to have to prove it in the win column but if he keeps on doing what he's doing I don't see how he's NOT going to be successful.

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

trashcan maN

Anyone who can see past their own nose can see that we have a professional running our program. We haven't been able to say that for a long time.

Can't wait for this to get rolling.

alwaysnextyear

He's not a rube like most opposing fans think he is. The one thing that scares me and has always been his problem is the in game management. The critical trick play calls that backfire, time management etc.

Gonzo

Just like with every other sports performer, all that matters very little, if at all, until the record starts to reflect it. Time will tell whether or not he is "amazing". Hopefully we will start seeing that improvement this season.

Go Hogs! Beat Auburn!

lefty08

I disagree, I think all the matters BEFORE you start winning. Helps elevate every aspect of the program. The wins will come, the program is too strong for them not to
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

trashcan maN

Quote from: Gonzo on August 11, 2014, 08:06:33 am
Just like with every other sports performer, all that matters very little, if at all, until the record starts to reflect it. Time will tell whether or not he is "amazing". Hopefully we will start seeing that improvement this season.

Go Hogs! Beat Auburn!
Our players going from Ds and Fs to As and Bs matters if you care at all about the welfare of kids who decide to be Hogs. Everyone who comes here should learn accountability.

greenie

I agree with lefty.  CBB has really worked on every aspect of this program. IMHO, his approach has benn strategically flawless. His in game tactics have been questionable at times, but that's mostly with the benefit of hindsight. 
A question for the skeptical... where is he dropping the ball?  Honest question.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 11, 2014, 07:53:04 am
He's not a rube like most opposing fans think he is. The one thing that scares me and has always been his problem is the in game management. The critical trick play calls that backfire, time management etc.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the trick plays just yet.  We were (are) pretty undermanned compared to some of our competition, and we had a banged up QB for much of the year.  You do what you can in that situation to surprise and sneak out a win.  I would wait to really judge that until he has more equal talent.

That said, the OP just described what any good coach would do. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: greenie on August 11, 2014, 08:38:39 am
I agree with lefty.  CBB has really worked on every aspect of this program. IMHO, his approach has benn strategically flawless. His in game tactics have been questionable at times, but that's mostly with the benefit of hindsight. 
A question for the skeptical... where is he dropping the ball?  Honest question.

Based on what other's have posted in the past regarding clock management, he may need to improve there.

Trick plays? I don't see a problem.  I think you'll see fewer as we get better.  Last year, we ran a few more than is comfortable out of desperation.  Nothing else was working.

EFBAB

East TN HAWG

Quote from: luke hawg on August 10, 2014, 10:09:54 pm

You need to add ZERO off-season arrests to your list: check 

code red

This is a big year for CBB.  If he gets this team to a bowl I expect big things.  If not....year 3 could be pivotal to his career.  IMHO.  As far as character of the individuals...I think he does a good job.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

three hog night

His bottom third of signed recruits in 2 classes is comprised of 3 stars and very few lower rated players.   The previous 2 coaches would get some studs at the top of the class, but take TONS of chances on low or unrated players at the bottom of the class. 

CBB has cleaned up the talent pipeline by signing good players at the bottom that are low risk.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: East TN HAWG on August 11, 2014, 09:10:29 am
You need to add ZERO off-season arrests to your list: check 

That's just luck.  You get 85 young men in the prime of life together, eventually you're going to get an arrest for some alcohol related offense at least.  Doesn't mean you're not doing all you can to prevent it.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

three hog night

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 11, 2014, 09:26:57 am
That's just luck.  You get 85 young men in the prime of life together, eventually you're going to get an arrest for some alcohol related offense at least.  Doesn't mean you're not doing all you can to prevent it.

Very true but impressive just the same
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

AloRaptor

After last years blood bath, he really doesn't have any choice. Not that he wouldn't have anyway but at least we are lucky that he has the ability to do so. I'm in his corner until he shows me I shouldn't be. I'm not expecting that to happen though. :razorback:

hogz17

He is a rube, but he has great self preservation skills.  He knows he will not be successful here and that he will be outgunned in both personnel and coaching acumen in most all games.  He rattles about all the grades and whatnot to appease his boss.  It is all he has to talk about. You don't hear him rattling about beating everyone this year. You simply hear him rattle about the process.  The process is job security and excuse making for future years here and elsewhere.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: hogz17 on August 11, 2014, 09:57:34 am
He is a rube, but he has great self preservation skills.  He knows he will not be successful here and that he will be outgunned in both personnel and coaching acumen in most all games.  He rattles about all the grades and whatnot to appease his boss.  It is all he has to talk about. You don't hear him rattling about beating everyone this year. You simply hear him rattle about the process.  The process is job security and excuse making for future years here and elsewhere.

Quote from: hogz17 on September 20, 2012, 12:45:58 pm
This will be my final post and my final time to view this board. 

Please please please live up to your word.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Pickwick Hog

Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Hawgey-Davidson

hogz17, you're being called to the nurses station for your morning medications. Run along now.

LZH

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 11, 2014, 10:06:06 am
Please please please live up to your word.

And once again, we see that coloring outside the lines is ridiculous and unacceptable - but somehow heaping tons of praise and sapping over a guy that has yet to win an SEC game is completely normal.

Woo hoo.

trashcan maN

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 10:14:32 am
And once again, we see that coloring outside the lines is ridiculous and unacceptable - but somehow heaping tons of praise and sapping over a guy that has yet to win an SEC game is completely normal.

Woo hoo.
It's August and this is a fan board. WTH are you expecting to read when you come here? We're going to the natty, bro

Al Boarland

Woo hoo.

+1

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 11, 2014, 09:26:57 am

It makes it all the more impressive.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Uncommon

Here's to hoping it translates to 6-6 regular season, a bowl game, and a recruiting class ranked between 19-23 nationally.

LZH

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 11, 2014, 10:16:45 am
It's August and this is a fan board. WTH are you expecting to read when you come here? We're going to the natty, bro

I'm all for that....14-0 and so on.

But it looks to me like just as it's such an unforgivable sin to stray from the party line, it seems OK to run a guy down who doesn't care for Bielema, or at the very least isn't yet sold on him.  He (hogz17) was laying it on pretty thick, even for me, but I can understand how he might feel that way.

alwaysnextyear

Woo hoo.
It's unreal we can get anyone to coach here given the overall stupidity of our fanbase. He left a better job to take over this dumpster fire and the simpletons who have never attended a game refuse to allow the staff to build their program.

LZH

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 11, 2014, 10:31:35 am
It's unreal we can get anyone to coach here given the overall stupidity of our fanbase. He left a better job to take over this dumpster fire and the simpletons who have never attended a game refuse to allow the staff to build their program.

We don't know that hogz17 hasn't been to more games than you and I put together.

I won't argue about it anymore.  I made my point.

Kevin

Quote from: Uncommon on August 11, 2014, 10:26:51 am
Here's to hoping it translates to 6-6 regular season, a bowl game, and a recruiting class ranked between 19-23 nationally.

totally agree
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

pigroots

chitwnhog

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 10:29:57 am
I'm all for that....14-0 and so on.

But it looks to me like just as it's such an unforgivable sin to stray from the party line, it seems OK to run a guy down who doesn't care for Bielema, or at the very least isn't yet sold on him.  He (hogz17) was laying it on pretty thick, even for me, but I can understand how he might feel that way.

You have specific gripes that are valid. Hogz17 post was general "this dude is a loser and he knows it so he's just gonna run his mouth."  There is a big difference between the two.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: hogz17 on August 11, 2014, 09:57:34 am
You simply hear him rattle about the process.  The process is job security and excuse making for future years here and elsewhere.

In my 20+ years of leadership experience in the field of logistics, I have found that process is one of the most critical aspects of a successful organization. 

CBB talks about process because it is very important.  In business, we measure KPIs (key performance indicators).  KPIs are not profit/loss metrics, they are generally small metrics that lead to the performance of the company.  KPIs are generally improved through improvements to the process.  There is no magical box where you can put crap in one side, and receive gold on the other side.  Whatever you put in is what you get out.  If you have poor processes, you will have poor results.   

A football coaches profit/ loss statement are wins/ losses.  The items Luke Hawg mentioned would be considered KPIs.   The wins come long after the process is implemented, and KPIs are measured.  The next step is to improve processes and measure KPIs again, and keep repeating because process improvement never stops. 

The process is a key component to success in almost in organization.  That's why it is a big deal to CBB.  If he ignored these items, then he would not be around very long.  I believe you are absolutely correct in that "process is job security," and to expand on your statement improving the process will lead to wins and a long career for CBB at the U of A. 

greenie

It's easy to get on here and say CBB is a rube, or he hasn't done anything until he's won a game.  I understand if you don't like what he's doing, but back it up with more than "he needs to win"...tell us what you think he should be doing differently.  There are plenty of posts on here talking specifically about what he's doing right.  I'd like to hear what some of the knowledgeable on hogville think CBB should do that he's not.  Otherwise you're just a whiner.

AugustaHog

His attention to detail is very nice.  I love the fact that our kids stayed out of trouble over the offseason and that our grades are coming up.  This shows that he is bringing in classy, driven individuals to be a part of our program.  The traits that are required to be good citizens/students will help in becoming a good football player.  Unfortunately, all of the above will not matter to the average fan, if we do not win football games.  I like CBB as a person and his coaching style, and hope he finds success like he did at Wisconsin.  It does take time when switching schemes from a pass oriented offense to a pro style run game.  If given time, I think he will be a big hit here.

LZH

Quote from: DawgTownHog on August 11, 2014, 10:47:50 am
You have specific gripes that are valid. Hogz17 post was general "this dude is a loser and he knows it so he's just gonna run his mouth."  There is a big difference between the two.

I'll take that as a compliment DTH......I'm not only irritating, but focused as well.              :P

AugustaHog

Quote from: greenie on August 11, 2014, 11:03:02 am
I'd like to hear what some of the knowledgeable on hogville think CBB should do that he's not. 
I think CBB had a reality check in his first year of SEC football.  In years past, he has been able to take down more talented teams.  I don't think he had an appreciation for how great the overall talent was in the SEC (coaches included).  A good, long look in the mirror revealed we were lacking in player/coach talent.  In the off-season, he corrected his mistake.  By getting rid of a rigid, unimaginative DC, he now has the ability to overcome our defensive talent deficit.  I think he could see that we just weren't cutting it on the backend and he brought in two outstanding guys to replace two underwhelming ones.  This is essentially admitting a mistake and fixing it. Pride would've been an issue with a bunch of guys, I'm just glad he didn't let it.

chitwnhog

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 11:08:36 am
I'll take that as a compliment DTH......I'm not only irritating, but focused as well.              :P

You're somethin...that other guy is somethin else. My point is that many here with "contrary points of view" want to complain that they get attacked for voicing their "opinion". The vast majority of the time their "opinion" is much like Hogz17 which is general "Bielema sucks" tripe. You actually post valid concerns. If the other Negative Nancys would just follow your lead.   ;)

greenie

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 11, 2014, 11:11:07 am
I think CBB had a reality check in his first year of SEC football.  In years past, he has been able to take down more talented teams.  I don't think he had an appreciation for how great the overall talent was in the SEC (coaches included).  A good, long look in the mirror revealed we were lacking in player/coach talent.  In the off-season, he corrected his mistake.  By getting rid of a rigid, unimaginative DC, he now has the ability to overcome our defensive talent deficit.  I think he could see that we just weren't cutting it on the backend and he brought in two outstanding guys to replace two underwhelming ones.  This is essentially admitting a mistake and fixing it. Pride would've been an issue with a bunch of guys, I'm just glad he didn't let it.

Good post.  +1

LZH

Quote from: AugustaHog on August 11, 2014, 11:11:07 am
I think CBB had a reality check in his first year of SEC football.  In years past, he has been able to take down more talented teams.  I don't think he had an appreciation for how great the overall talent was in the SEC (coaches included).

I've read this alot on here.  Isn't that just another way of saying 'he is in over his head'?

Hawg_Thai'd

Are we the only team in the SEC as of now that does not have any arrests? I thought there was one other team, FL maybe, but they had someone get picked up. Great achievement, regardless.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: LZH on August 11, 2014, 11:17:13 am
I've read this alot on here.  Isn't that just another way of saying 'he is in over his head'?
"He's in over his head" IF he over the next several years he can't recruit better talent, develop what he has, AND translate that into wins. Until then the jury is still very much out.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Solomwi on August 11, 2014, 11:10:48 am
So, he's doing the same stuff that everyone other SEC coach does. Check

Uh, no. He is keeping his players OUT of trouble.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on August 11, 2014, 11:30:40 am
Are we the only team in the SEC as of now that does not have any arrests? I thought there was one other team, FL maybe, but they had someone get picked up. Great achievement, regardless.
The only reason Florida's stayed so clean thus far is that after the arrests over the past several seasons (plus all the thugs from FSU) the jails in that part of Florida are so full the cops have called the teams and asked them to stop sending them players.