Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

starting 5. who you got?

Started by intelligence, August 10, 2014, 06:44:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

intelligence

Lets have a clean debate here. Who's your starting 5 and why?

I got:
pg durham
sg Madden
sg qualls
pf harris
pf portis

I wanted to go with madden at point and bell at the 2, but due to comments from MA and Portis  I feel like Durham is the best bet here. I would rather see Qualls at the 2 but madden is the better ball handler and I don't see him coming off the bench. So Qualls plays at the 3 here. Next I thought it was really hard to leave Harris out of the starting lineup. He's a man in the post despite being undersized. Realistically Moses isn't ready to step in at center just yet, so I went with Harris and port is in the front court.

agree or disagree? What's your starting 5 and why?

rzrbackramsfan

I'd agree with you.  What I would like to see though, is move in bell for qualls and when qualls comes in let him shoot a lot.  Lots of experimenting still do though.

intelligence

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on August 10, 2014, 07:00:26 pm
I'd agree with you.  What I would like to see though, is move in bell for qualls and when qualls comes in let him shoot a lot.  Lots of experimenting still do though.

I like that idea too. Qualls as a sixth man with a very green light. Could be a good idea as well. Out of curiosity, what are your opinions on the two (Qualls and Bell) defensively? do you see them as being defensive liabilities, and/or which one do you think is the better defender. It seems like to me that Qualls had a problem of getting lost at times defensively, where as Bell was maybe not quite athletic enough to defend players off the dribble, but on the ball he seemed pretty solid to me.

thebignasty

I would love:

Durham
Madden
Qualls
Portis
Kingsley

.... I do suspect though, that we won't see much of Portis and Kingsley together again this year, and that Qualls isn't a consistent starter. Would guess that Durham, Bell, Madden, Harris or Qualls and Portis a common starting lineup next year.

Dominicanhog

Agree with the caveat that the Harris position is changed several times throughout the year.. sometimes it will be Moses, Babb, Jacorey, Miles or Bell , the other 4 you mentioned are set in stone.

-Blu

Quote from: intelligence on August 10, 2014, 06:44:27 pm
Lets have a clean debate here. Who's your starting 5 and why?

I got:
pg durham
sg Madden
sg qualls
pf harris
pf portis

I wanted to go with madden at point and bell at the 2, but due to comments from MA and Portis  I feel like Durham is the best bet here. I would rather see Qualls at the 2 but madden is the better ball handler and I don't see him coming off the bench. So Qualls plays at the 3 here. Next I thought it was really hard to leave Harris out of the starting lineup. He's a man in the post despite being undersized. Realistically Moses isn't ready to step in at center just yet, so I went with Harris and port is in the front court.

agree or disagree? What's your starting 5 and why?

I think your right on money, that's probably the most likely scenario at this point.  I also agree rzrbackramsfan that Bell will get some starts as well, him and Qualls will probably switch who starts every now and then.  We'll probably end up having 7-8 guys that will get some starts.  Madden and Portis are probably the only guys that will start every game.  But as far as the "Main" lineup I think that will be it what you posted bearing someone else just really steps up, like Beard.

I also think we'll see more Portis/Kingsley on the floor together, just not as much as some people want.  I think Kingsley will play the Harris role of last year and be the first forward off the bench, probably come in for Harris sometime around the first TV timeout then play with Portis for 3-4 minute stretch then Miles or Williams comes in for Portis, and same thing will happen second half.  So I think instead of playing like a few sporadic minutes every now and then together like they did last year, they'll play anywhere from 6-10 minutes a game together this year.

The_Iceman

G: Durham / Beard
G: Madden / Bell / Babb
F: Qualls / Miles
F: Harris / Williams
C: Portis / Kingsley / Thompson

Foshodo

Durham
Bell
Madden
Portis
Moses

Bring Qualls and Harris in for scoring second unit since neither is strong on defense

GuvHog

Quote from: thebignasty on August 10, 2014, 07:41:52 pm
I would love:

Durham
Madden
Qualls
Portis
Kingsley

I agree with this:

Durham
Madden
Qualls
Portis
Kingsley

There were some games last season that showed that the Hogs really need both Kingsley and Portis on the court at the same time. If Kingsley is really tearing it up in pickup games as I have heard, then it will be a no brainer.

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

booogaga

This is my starting 5 ( after a couple of games to give the newcomers some time to catch on )

So say after the exb games and about 3-4 cream puffs the starting 5 will be.

pg - Beard
sg - Madden
sf - Qualls
pf - Harris
c - Portis
GO HOGS!

Big Nasty 34

I don't see this happening, but would love to see:

1 Durham
2 madden
3 Qualls
4 Williams
5 Portis

So the second wave could be:
1 beard
2 bell
3 miles
4 Harris
5 Kingsley

That would only happen if Williams has really improved. That would be my ideal lineup. I really think it will be
Durham
Madden
Qualls
Harris
Portis