Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema PC 8/10

Started by ricepig, August 10, 2014, 03:13:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

supersaint

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 05:00:12 pm
Bielema today called the position Philon plays = 3 technique. That would be angled toward the right shoulder of the right offensive guard, responsible for the gap between the right guard and tackle.

I'm not sure what they are trying to do with the noseguard/tackle/whatever. Is he trying to occupy the center and left guard + free the middle linebacker? Is he trying to shoot the gap? Don't know. Would expect the former.
3 technique isn't specific to one side of the line.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

lefty08

Quote from: supersaint on August 10, 2014, 09:30:36 pm
3 technique isn't specific to one side of the line.

What is the 3 on one side would be the 6 on the other right?  Or am I wayyyyyyy off?  I was a little guy, never learned stuff.  Haha
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Oklahawg

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 09:32:32 pm
What is the 3 on one side would be the 6 on the other right?  Or am I wayyyyyyy off?  I was a little guy, never learned stuff.  Haha

Might be. Or, the 3 is a gap technique while the 1 is a straight-up technique. 3 is designed to force a double team. I was never a DL either!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

supersaint

Not like that on defense. A 3 technique is a 3 technique regardless of which side you are on.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: fullfan on August 10, 2014, 08:55:23 pm
I take it to mean exactly that.   Hogs are not going to enter into FA agreements with a recruit that wants to sign the same FA with 5 different schools.  If you are still undecided (Not have Hog in your DNA) then you are not ready to be signing FA agreements.  Pretty simple.

I'm sure that this will go over like a sack of sh3t but we have signed 2 very good and possibly great TE's and it appears that CBB will not be chin waggled by a 17 year old kid that thinks he's the next coming.  He'll recruit him as hard as ever but not play games just to stroke his ego.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 10, 2014, 08:44:40 pm
Not trying to argue but you rated the SEC freshman OPOTY third?

Until Korliss can prove it on the field he's 3rd imo.

Korliss Marshall IS the most explosive back in the SEC.
There isn't a doubt in my mind.

I was wondering about this kid back when there wasn't a damn whisper of him even playing offense. Asking how he is adjusting to the role at safety.

He is simply too explosive to play the position they recruited him for, on the the defensive side of the ball.

The guy averaged like 15 yards per carry last year and MANY of us here were saying he may be the most talented running back on our roster.

You're gonna see it in short order. I promise.
He is the best running back this school has ever seen sans Darren McFadden.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 10, 2014, 09:51:39 pm

Wow.... big shoes there fella.  If he is that good our coaches did a terrible job last year of recognizing talent.

Biggus Piggus

Just trying to keep it simple.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

I was wondering about this kid back when there wasn't a damn whisper of him even playing offense. Asking how he is adjusting to the role at safety.

He is simply too explosive to play the position they recruited him for, on the the defensive side of the ball.

The guy averaged like 15 yards per carry last year and MANY of us here were saying he may be the most talented running back on our roster.

Gear down big shifter.

MrThunderhog

the 3 technique is lining up outside eye of the guard, either side doesn't matter

I haven't seen it but it sounds like an eagle front consisting of four man front with 7.3.1.5 or similar.

lining up a small guy at the 3 technique to shoot the gaps with the big offensive lineman in the sec is risky. it gets really clogged in the middle and on a run play if the defensive lineman aren't big enough to make a stand and get blown off the ball then they are back in your linebackers way. even if you are big and slow on the interior line as long as you can make a pile and not get blown off the ball that is often enough to draw a double team and free up a backer.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

LZH

What is the 3 on one side would be the 6 on the other right? 

No, a 3 is a 3 regardless of what side it's on (I misread your post the first time).

Add:  I can see my post added nothing to the conversation.  I'm out of practice of reading the whole thread before typing.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: RazorBassin on August 10, 2014, 09:17:15 pm
Where has Will Hines disappeared to?  Is he on the 2 deep at all at CB?
Needs to be more consistent. I think he'll step up this week after being challenged by CBB.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

LZH

Quote from: MrThunderhog on August 10, 2014, 10:27:24 pm
lining up a small guy at the 3 technique to shoot the gaps with the big offensive lineman in the sec is risky. it gets really clogged in the middle and on a run play if the defensive lineman aren't big enough to make a stand and get blown off the ball then they are back in your linebackers way. even if you are big and slow on the interior line as long as you can make a pile and not get blown off the ball that is often enough to draw a double team and free up a backer.

Spurrier's Carolina teams have done pretty well with it over the years.  Nutt did it while he was here and at Ole Miss.  Ole Miss still does, as well as Mizzou.  A 4-3 under with your DT jumping around between the G's and T's (what we used to call the 'B' Gap) is how most SEC teams compensate for not having a three-deep rotation of NFL talent on the DL.

deedster84

I liked his comments about the SoFla kids and where they come from. It has to be a shock when they come here. And Kirkland is spreading the word. Pipleline being built.

Slimac4

Ummm... Gurly???

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 10, 2014, 10:00:54 pm
Wow.... big shoes there fella.  If he is that good our coaches did a terrible job last year of recognizing talent.
No, not really. If you watched the press conferences from the past few days, you would know that Korliss wasn't played much last year because he didn't know the playbook well. Korliss may very well be our most explosive running back, but if can't pass protect or run check-down routes for the qb or otherwise doesn' know what he's doing out there, he's not going to be the starting running back. He won't be explosive for very long when the defense figures out that when #33 is in, it's a toss or a stretch play.

This year, Korliss' main goal was to learn the playbook and he did. You saw him in pass protection a few times during the spring game. Now we have three running backs that all know that playbook so the defense isn't going to know what's coming, or at least they won't know what's coming based on which running back is in.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Spikes

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on August 10, 2014, 03:49:30 pm
Or if he were faster...

This.. Collins did have the break away speed last yr speed/. JW does, so adding the extra weight is for the 4th qt to lean on and get extra yrds and keep the chains moving.  Let all hope this works
You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 10, 2014, 09:35:31 pm
Might be. Or, the 3 is a gap technique while the 1 is a straight-up technique. 3 is designed to force a double team. I was never a DL either!

Found this illustration. Maybe this helps explain.

4-3 DE      3-4 DE       4-3 DT        3-4 NT         4-3 DT         3-4 DE          4-3 DE           4-3 DE
Wide 9      5-Tech      3-Tech        0-Tech        3-Tech         5-Tech          6-Tech           Wide 9
   9          5  4  4i       3  2  2i            0            2i  2  3         4i  4  5          5i  6  7              9

OT            OG               C               OG               OT               TE
      C Gap           B Gap         A Gap          A Gap          B Gap            C Gap            D Gap
Go Hogs Go!

Kevin

I like the fact it sounds like we are going to line someone over the center.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Fatty McGee

Quote from: NorCalRazorback on August 10, 2014, 06:38:43 pm
On the three running backs... I rate them in this order:  (1) J-will (2) Korliss (3) Alex.

Now that said I think the three of them are in the top 10 running backs in the conference and probably the top 5. 

J-Will has speed, strength and moves... Plus makes good reads and looks very capable of being a 25 carry guy.

Korliss has incomparable speed and finds the right read... Will scare defenses and affect coverages (we will safeties come and spy on him).  Capable of 15 carries.

Alex is great too... Shifty, great vision, and great quickness.  Capable of 20 carries a game.

In any case we have great backs.

If we have three of the top 10 backs but still finished with our record then it makes one wonder if the value of the running back in college is diminishing as fast as it is in the NFL. It's nice to have great backs but it would seem there are far more important positions if talent that deep there doesn't equate to more wins.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

trashcan maN

Quote from: MrThunderhog on August 10, 2014, 10:27:24 pm

I haven't seen it but it sounds like an eagle front consisting of four man front with 7.3.1.5 or similar.

If we line someone up directly over center, isn't that a 0-tech? Wouldn't 1-tech be on one of the center's shoulders? I'm 6'5 200.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LZH on August 10, 2014, 10:45:20 pm
Spurrier's Carolina teams have done pretty well with it over the years.  Nutt did it while he was here and at Ole Miss.  Ole Miss still does, as well as Mizzou.  A 4-3 under with your DT jumping around between the G's and T's (what we used to call the 'B' Gap) is how most SEC teams compensate for not having a three-deep rotation of NFL talent on the DL.

Remember Tony Cherico?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

NorCalRazorback

Quote from: Peter Porker on August 10, 2014, 08:44:40 pm
Not trying to argue but you rated the SEC freshman OPOTY third?

Until Korliss can prove it on the field he's 3rd imo.

I get that and knew that when I said it.  If you look at game film, as well as stats - one could easily argue that had J-Will had the same number of carries/snaps he would have had better stats that AC.  AC is a great back - don't get me wrong, I just feel that the KM brings a dimension of speed that causes defenses to adjust.  If you played - you would recall watching film and seeing the defensive coaches/players react to speed like that... it generally causes a coaches conversation about "scheming" to protect any look showing that kind of speed.  KM has amazing speed... and speed always frightens a defense.  Now, toss in our HUGE O-Line and get yourself into a coaches head.  He will see MONSTER line and then they will be worried about edge speed.  KM transitions out of cuts to North South as fast as anyone I've ever seen.  Defenses will be worried.

All 3 are amazing... AC was freshman of the year - no doubt, but he wasn't our best back last year.  J-Will got stronger and maintained his speed. 

"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

RazorPiggie

Quote from: NorCalRazorback on August 10, 2014, 06:38:43 pm
On the three running backs... I rate them in this order:  (1) J-will (2) Korliss (3) Alex.

Now that said I think the three of them are in the top 10 running backs in the conference and probably the top 5. 

J-Will has speed, strength and moves... Plus makes good reads and looks very capable of being a 25 carry guy.

Korliss has incomparable speed and finds the right read... Will scare defenses and affect coverages (we will safeties come and spy on him).  Capable of 15 carries.

Alex is great too... Shifty, great vision, and great quickness.  Capable of 20 carries a game.

In any case we have great backs.

Glad we have Korliss on the team but seriously the dude only carried the ball 17 SEVENTEEN times last year. He is the #3 back, Williams and Collins are 1a & 1b. Collins gained 1000 yards against defenses that stacked the box. They knew we couldn't throw the ball. 

Each RB brings something different to the table and I like the speed Korliss brings.

swinesation

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 11, 2014, 09:07:27 am
Glad we have Korliss on the team but seriously the dude only carried the ball 17 SEVENTEEN times last year. He is the #3 back, Williams and Collins are 1a & 1b. Collins gained 1000 yards against defenses that stacked the box. They knew we couldn't throw the ball. 

Each RB brings something different to the table and I like the speed Korliss brings.

Exactly. People need to settle down calling Korliss the best back on the team. Alex and J-Will have probably run for 20 or more times a game since junior high - not so with Korliss. Love his explosiveness, but who knows how long it will take him to pick up the nuances required to be a great running back? Maybe never. Whatever the case may be, I'm happy to see the ball in his hands several times a game, including returning kicks!

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 11, 2014, 07:47:52 am
If we line someone up directly over center, isn't that a 0-tech? Wouldn't 1-tech be on one of the center's shoulders? I'm 6'5 200.
Our NT would be more of a 1-tech on the opposite shoulder of the C from the other DT or 3-tech.  They will switch sides based on were the TE is lined up.  The base formation should look something like this.

LT   LG   C   RG   RT   TE
                       DE     DT      NT       DE      SLB
                              WLB          MLB

razorsharptusk

I hope JWill doesn't start having that hamstring issue that doesn't go away. 
GO HOGS!!

AugustaHog

I get the fascination with KM because he's the flashy new toy.  If he is used correctly, he will have outstanding numbers and a great year.  He is not the every down back that the other two can be.  He may grow into that, especially now that he has the added size.  If he has maintained his speed/agility with the weight gain, he will definitely put up some highlights.  His "burst" is as good as anyone in the conference.  If the boys up front are getting to the second level and disrupting the LB's, he will find daylight and be gone.  I'm excited because we have three outstanding backs that can all do a ton of things well.  A little passing game, and we could be seeing something special over the next couple seasons.

onebadrubi

Quote from: razorsharptusk on August 11, 2014, 10:24:32 am
I hope JWill doesn't start having that hamstring issue that doesn't go away.

I thought it was groin?  But yes, this is something that needs to be fully healed and a few days to get back to 100% or it seems we will see it weaken him a few times throughout the season.  Bielema and Herbert have done nothing to show us they will put a kids long term health in jeopardy, so I think they will treat Jwill right and get him back on the field the 2nd day he his healthy. 

AugustaHog

Quote from: Slimac4 on August 10, 2014, 10:51:50 pm
Ummm... Gurly???
Putting Korliss in the league with McFadden is a tad much since he only has 17 career carries.  The original poster stated most explosive in the conference.  Todd Gurley is a beast and is hands down the best back in the country (when healthy).  I do think that Marshall has top end speed and acceleration that is as good as anyone in the conference, including Gurley.  Gurley is just a better back in almost every other facet.  Korliss will get his chances to prove on the field where he stands though.

Carl Lazlo

Thing is no one should blame the coaches or korliss for lack of carries in the previous season.   The situation at hand was a true frosh, which they more than likely wanted to redshirt, penciled in as a future safety.   The stigma of coming from a small high school in Arkansas had many on this board questioning his ability to preform in the sec at Rb.  It ridiculous when you sit back and think about it.  The transition is much easier for a running back than it is for a safety. And yet after EARNING his carries by dominating on the scout team and in turn making the most out of limited practice and game reps, posters and some news media still have not giving much acknowledgment to the kid. 

Fast forward past the spring game into fall camp, Korliss has shown many things. Forget the fact that he's add 15 lbs without losing a step.  The most impressive to me is how he speaks to the media like a veteran player. It's near impeccable.  And the guy seems humble.  He was the guy walking off the field next to CBB after the LSU loss.  You could tell by the way he looked CBB in the eye as the left the field that he'll lay his guts on the line and do what is asked.  All he needs is a chance. The playbook is now mastered so it's about to happen for this homegrown running back.

It's just funny to me when some outside the program watch him run once and they immediately say the kid needs the ball more.  And yet many on here can't see it.

You see it soon enough. Aug 30th

Not taking anything away from AC or Jwill both are really impressive in the things they can do. They'll need all 3 plus a couple more to get through the season.

RazorPiggie

Yes we will see. I see Korliss getting 5-8 carries per game + kickoff. AC and JW will be getting around 13-17 each.