Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema PC 8/10

Started by ricepig, August 10, 2014, 03:13:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Bielema said Tevin Mitchel's green jersey is now off. He'll return to live contact next Saturday.

Bielema: Grady Ollison will move from O-line to D-line to 3-technique. Came here as D-lineman. Grady wanted fresh breath of air

Bielema: J-Williams might be out a couple of days. Nothing major with the hamstring.
   Alex Collins is cleared for practice tomorrow.

Brian Wallace is now the No. 2 right tackle since Ollison has moved.

Cam Jefferson is at LG, but will also get a look at LT.

Bielema: Taiwan Johnson will get a look at No. 1 NG. Bijhon Jackson will get a lot of reps with 2s at nose.

Bielema says OL Brian Wallace and Frank Ragnow are two freshmen who will play for them

Bielema: All three freshmen linebackers will play for us, and so will Bijhon Jackson.

Coach B: Freshman Henri Toliver now tied with Jared Collins at CB - Carroll Washington starts at the other corner.

Coach B: All 3 freshman linebackers will play. Randy Ramsey will be getting most reps right now. Solid No. 2 now.

Bielema said his wide receivers were "lights out" during Saturday's scrimmage. Said he gave WR coach Michael Smith a pat on the back.

Bielema on @Budda03 A. Collins' up to 218: Don't know if he got a faster 40 time, but he's a more durable player.

Bielema (discussing player development) says Carroll Washington is the best corner on our team

Bielema said overall the talent is better in the program this preseason, but the "lack of depth at certain positions" remains a concern.

Bielema: We'll only sign financial aid agreements with players who we know have being a Hog in their DNA.

Jackrabbit Hog

Thanks ricepig.  Not sure Alex needed to get much bigger; hope he didn't lose any quickness.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 10, 2014, 03:16:15 pm
Thanks ricepig.  Not sure Alex needed to get much bigger; hope he didn't lose any quickness.

I think they wanted him stronger, hopefully he's as fast.

Biggus Piggus

Hodge is now behind Philon at DT, while the NGs are Johnson and Jackson.
[CENSORED]!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on August 10, 2014, 03:20:44 pm
I think they wanted him stronger, hopefully he's as fast.

I'm sure, and I hope that's what happened.  It's just that the football world is littered with guys who didn't need to get bigger, did and lost a step.   Cedric Cobbs comes to mind.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 10, 2014, 03:16:15 pm
To me, it seems like they wanted to bulk him up a bit so that he could power through that last tackle to break a big run. There were soooooooo many times last year where he could have taken it to the house if he had just broke one tackle.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

jabohog

Collins up to 218 and a more durable player, yet he missed the scrimmage.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jabohog on August 10, 2014, 03:35:38 pm

Groin.
[CENSORED]!

hoghearted

Thanks for the breakdown.

The more I hear, the more optimistic I get for a better than predicted season.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

The Divine Swine

I am a fan of the King, but seriously bro? Bielema knows what he is doing by holding Collins out.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

ricepig

hogville38

No biggie. They were just being cautious. The weight will help him in the SEC.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 10, 2014, 03:32:34 pm
To me, it seems like they wanted to bulk him up a bit so that he could power through that last tackle to break a big run. There were soooooooo many times last year where he could have taken it to the house if he had just broke one tackle.

Or if he were faster...

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on August 10, 2014, 03:49:30 pm
Or if he were faster...
^^^^This.  Was hoping he would work more on speed in the offseason than bulk.

But hey, CBB is paid to know what to do with these boys.  I'm not.

lumphog

hogville38

Wonder if that last part was because of Gragg? Probably not but maaybe?

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 10, 2014, 03:52:36 pm
^^^^This.  Was hoping he would work more on speed in the offseason than bulk.

But hey, CBB is paid to know what to do with these boys.  I'm not.

Well, if you remember correctly, we were told by one poster that his hair weighed 5lbs extra when wet, so there's that.....

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: hogville38 on August 10, 2014, 03:55:49 pm
That was what I thought....

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: iCalledThatHogBrotha! on August 10, 2014, 03:49:30 pm
Or if he were faster...
I think top-tier speed is something that you either naturally have or you don't. I don't think Collins has it. Not a knock on the kid; it's just not his strength. His strength is his ability to make the first man miss, his exceptional ability to work off blocks, and his exceptional vision that he uses to pick up solid yardage. Bulking up a bit more helps him to pick up a bit more yardage and maybe break a few more tackles. I just don't think he's ever going to have the speed needed to outrun SEC db's no matter what the coaches do. Of course that doesn't mean he can't be an elite RB; the NFL is littered with running backs that don't have elite speed.

Korliss was interviewed a couple days ago and he said that no coach has really ever worked with him on his speed; it's just something that he naturally has.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

chitwnhog

Signing a "Financial Aid Agreement" is not the same thing as signing a "Scholarship Agreement"

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/46760/recruits-can-sign-early-financial-aid-deals

chitwnhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 10, 2014, 04:08:58 pm
I think top-tier speed is something that you either naturally have or you don't. I don't think Collins has it. Not a knock on the kid; it's just not his strength. His strength is his ability to make the first man miss, his exceptional ability to work off blocks, and his exceptional vision that he uses to pick up solid yardage. Bulking up a bit more helps him to pick up a bit more yardage and maybe break a few more tackles. I just don't think he's ever going to have the speed needed to outrun SEC db's no matter what the coaches do. Of course that doesn't mean he can't be an elite RB; the NFL is littered with running backs that don't have elite speed.

Korliss was interviewed a couple days ago and he said that no coach has really ever worked with him on his speed; it's just something that he naturally has.

Emmitt Smith comes to mind.

Big Daddy

Taiwan is going to play NG 255? lbs Hodge outweighs him by 75 lbs!

The NewEra

I think your assessment of Collins speed may be right.  I read an article about him a while back and what I agreed with most in the article is that Collins can go from zero to 60 faster than anyone.  Add his vision, allusiveness and quick cutting abilities to that amazing burst and he's a treat to score from 40 yards away to the end zone.  What he may lack and we surely don't know yet is that fifth gear that say a Korliss Marshall has.  I'll take what Alex brings to the table and be quite content, even if it's not him possessing world class speed.

TMc

Quote from: Big Daddy on August 10, 2014, 04:28:00 pm

I read elsewhere that Coach B said Taiwan is much heavier than 255.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on August 10, 2014, 03:43:40 pm
Yep, could have gone, no need to push it.

Thanks for the play by play there!

On Collins, Bielema directly said he was held out an extra day or two so when he came back he would be in full speed practice.  In my opinion that's a good strategy instead of as soon as a guy is good lets throw him in a full contact scrimmage.  We were lucky last year with RB injuries.  Hopefully we can be that way this year as well!  We need all three healthy for the season.  Day needs a RS and I have no idea where the Denzel kid stands?

Why are we now referring to a DT as NG?  The 4-3 scheme so I thought didn't recognize as NG?  Someone care to educate me here? 

I hate hearing all three freshman LB's will play.  I was hoping a RS or two out if them. 

Carrol Washington the best CB, was mitchel not mentioned in that breath do the his current green shirt issues?  I'm excited to see mitchel on the field after his new off season strength and body transformation

Big Daddy

Quote from: TMc on August 10, 2014, 04:34:09 pm
I read elsewhere that Coach B said Taiwan is much heavier than 255.

Just sayin' that's what he's listed at in the Media Guide

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 10, 2014, 04:34:53 pm
Thanks for the play by play there!

On Collins, Bielema directly said he was held out an extra day or two so when he came back he would be in full speed practice.  In my opinion that's a good strategy instead of as soon as a guy is good lets throw him in a full contact scrimmage.  We were lucky last year with RB injuries.  Hopefully we can be that way this year as well!  We need all three healthy for the season.  Day needs a RS and I have no idea where the Denzel kid stands?

Why are we now referring to a DT as NG?  The 4-3 scheme so I thought didn't recognize as NG?  Someone care to educate me here? 

I hate hearing all three freshman LB's will play.  I was hoping a RS or two out if them. 

Carrol Washington the best CB, was mitchel not mentioned in that breath do the his current green shirt issues?  I'm excited to see mitchel on the field after his new off season strength and body transformation

We always play a DT over shoulder, or in the gap. I'm no expert, only knew the 52 monster, haha, but we seem to leave a big gap between the NG/DT and the DE. I think some of the freshman LB's will be special teams players, and maybe some on D. 

Biggus Piggus

Bielema today called the position Philon plays = 3 technique. That would be angled toward the right shoulder of the right offensive guard, responsible for the gap between the right guard and tackle.

I'm not sure what they are trying to do with the noseguard/tackle/whatever. Is he trying to occupy the center and left guard + free the middle linebacker? Is he trying to shoot the gap? Don't know. Would expect the former.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Big Daddy on August 10, 2014, 04:28:00 pm

Weight is how they choose staring Dlinemen? Somebody tell Jayson Johnson, quick.
[CENSORED]!

chitwnhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 05:05:28 pm
Weight is how they choose staring Dlinemen? Somebody tell Jayson Johnson, quick.

Jayson Johnson outta Fair? Played for Nutt?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: DawgTownHog on August 10, 2014, 05:10:58 pm
Jayson Johnson outta Fair? Played for Nutt?

He might have played more, had he weight more than 330.
[CENSORED]!

chitwnhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 05:20:36 pm
He might have played more, had he weight more than 330.

Lolz...ok...IIRC he was close to 300 wasn't he? IDK it's been a few years and a few beers ago. But I get your point. Last year before the Rutgers game it was stated here that we would manhandle their Dline and wear em out by the 4th qtr. Didn't quite work out that way.

PygmalionEffect

I like the idea of trying Ollison at D-line.  We're getting depth there by recruiting O-line players.

His reputation coming out of high school was that he had more potential on the defensive side of the ball but I guess we put him in an area of need. 

I hope this works out to strengthen our depth at d-line and barring an injury to Brey, we should be good with Wallace coming in to back him up as he will get stronger as the season progresses.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Bubba's Bruisers

A couple of questions...

1. What happened to Kohler?

2. What's the job of the NT in this defense?  I'm admittedly confused.  I know he's not 255 anymore, but Tawain a NT?  And Hodge is a DT?  I know weight isn't the only factor, but I figure it's a significant one.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

carolinahogger

His strength is his ability to make the first man miss, his exceptional ability to work off blocks, and his exceptional vision that he uses to pick up solid yardage. Bulking up a bit more helps him to pick up a bit more yardage and maybe break a few more tackles.

My thoughts exactly.  I was amazed at times last season by Collins' patience in using his blockers.  That is his main talent, and while it is not as glamorous as blazing speed it is of great value.  It is an uncommon talent, and rarely exhibited so well by a freshman.

Collins is the smart runner who will run on the back of his OL and get 6 yards on 3rd and 5.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 10, 2014, 03:32:34 pm

I didn't see this. I saw a back that has great vision and patience but lacked the explosion needed to break big plays. He was usually one or two steps from breaking one, not so much one tackler.

NorCalRazorback

On the three running backs... I rate them in this order:  (1) J-will (2) Korliss (3) Alex.

Now that said I think the three of them are in the top 10 running backs in the conference and probably the top 5. 

J-Will has speed, strength and moves... Plus makes good reads and looks very capable of being a 25 carry guy.

Korliss has incomparable speed and finds the right read... Will scare defenses and affect coverages (we will safeties come and spy on him).  Capable of 15 carries.

Alex is great too... Shifty, great vision, and great quickness.  Capable of 20 carries a game.

In any case we have great backs.

"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

tophawg19

usually the NG is the bigger of the two DT's although it's often close. his job is to clog up the middle and cause havoc in the middle of the line. Usually the bigger and stronger the better as he occupies several o-lineman . this must not be the case with CBB  who appears to be looking more for speed to create the confusion like Tony Cherico did . Usually the NG is one of the strongest guys also to hold the line at the point of attack. or LOS . Bijohn fits this model . Maybe T,J is a speed option at NG .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Lake City Hog

where can we see the PC? I would like to hear it all.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: DawgTownHog on August 10, 2014, 05:29:20 pm
Lolz...ok...IIRC he was close to 300 wasn't he? IDK it's been a few years and a few beers ago. But I get your point. Last year before the Rutgers game it was stated here that we would manhandle their Dline and wear em out by the 4th qtr. Didn't quite work out that way.

He did weigh 330. Didn't really do him good to be that heavy.
[CENSORED]!

chitwnhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 08:05:28 pm

Ok...gotcha. Happens a lot. Honestly I remember the name but cannot remember how much he contributed.

Big Daddy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 08:05:28 pm

Weighing 330 and athletic is different from just being fat. You need a plugger a NG. Everybody knows that. Not saying he needs to be as big as Hodge but we have linebackers that are nearly 250. Hopefully as some are saying he's gained some lbs.

Peter Porker

Quote from: NorCalRazorback on August 10, 2014, 06:38:43 pm
On the three running backs... I rate them in this order:  (1) J-will (2) Korliss (3) Alex.

Now that said I think the three of them are in the top 10 running backs in the conference and probably the top 5. 

J-Will has speed, strength and moves... Plus makes good reads and looks very capable of being a 25 carry guy.

Korliss has incomparable speed and finds the right read... Will scare defenses and affect coverages (we will safeties come and spy on him).  Capable of 15 carries.

Alex is great too... Shifty, great vision, and great quickness.  Capable of 20 carries a game.

In any case we have great backs.

Not trying to argue but you rated the SEC freshman OPOTY third?

Until Korliss can prove it on the field he's 3rd imo.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

thefisher

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 05:00:12 pm
Bielema today called the position Philon plays = 3 technique. That would be angled toward the right shoulder of the right offensive guard, responsible for the gap between the right guard and tackle.

I'm not sure what they are trying to do with the noseguard/tackle/whatever. Is he trying to occupy the center and left guard + free the middle linebacker? Is he trying to shoot the gap? Don't know. Would expect the former.

I agree that it is probably for that purpose.  However, back in the day many teams ran a "stem" technique with the NG.  In essence they would get a strong side call from a backer or safety telling which side of the field was the offenses strong side. The NG would then slide over to the gap between the C and G on the strong side call and shoot that gap. It can cause the C and G to both be occupied with him thus freeing the middle backer to flow after the play. However, if the guy gets upfield just a bit through the gap it can be a real disruptor to the offense.

I will be interested to see how they play this.  The smaller/faster guy makes me think it may be something akin to the "stem" technique designed to get through the gap and blow up a handoff or play in the backfield.

Good stuff!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Kevin

Wonder which players will get the shots at fullback
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

fullfan

I take it to mean exactly that.   Hogs are not going to enter into FA agreements with a recruit that wants to sign the same FA with 5 different schools.  If you are still undecided (Not have Hog in your DNA) then you are not ready to be signing FA agreements.  Pretty simple.

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2014, 08:49:35 pm
Wonder which players will get the shots at fullback

Yep, it will be interesting to hear next week who they try there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2014, 05:00:12 pm

Putting a lighter than normal, quicker player at that position, it is my hope that they are going to have him shooting the gaps a lot. Even if he has gained 20 lbs, that would still be light at the Nose in this league. Of course, having someone who is quicker than the O-Linemen he faces shooting gaps is going to disrupt the offense to some extent. It's a gamble but I like the aggressive strategy that is behind it.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

RazorBassin

Where has Will Hines disappeared to?  Is he on the 2 deep at all at CB?