Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the guy who said BA should run up the middle more....

Started by Mike Irwin, August 10, 2014, 01:06:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

He did that once in yesterday's scrimmage. It was pretty much as you suggested.

Pressure was coming from both sides. He moved forward in the pocket and then, when nobody was open, he took off for about 30 quick yards.

I'm sure you remember that I challenged you saying I was pretty sure they didn't want him doing that. I based that on several statements from Chaney last season. Looking back it seems likely that they didn't want him running because of the shoulder which is fine now.

Anyway based on what I saw you appear to be on to something. One play doesn't make a trend but I don't recall seeing BA attack a defense straight up field that deliberately before.

Usually he sort of hesitates and looks like he's not sure of what he's doing. This was completely different and it was impressive.

Razor6

Great post!

Mike, you are calling a spade for a spade.  And I like it.

Let's enjoy a great season... and sneak up and... Beat Auburn!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Melorock089

That is great. I even remember Mallett doing this. If there is absolutely nobody home, it could be an offensive lineman running the ball and he could get 5-10 yards.

ZERO

I do believe the user Prestworthy suggested this and got much flack. Again, one move made in the right situation obviously doesn't suggest Allen is a mobile quarterback, but sometimes the opportunity will present itself, and it's a dimension to his position that he's never really explored. And maybe he should take that chance more often when it comes open. 30 yards is a big gain after all.

We owe him some +1s, no doubt.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

bruisemeister

Im not suggesting BA is going to have a great year. I don't want to hex him. However, I have seen many QBS suffer through bad seasons only to end up being excellent. In fact, I can think of 2 that ended up making All SEC, Jason Campbell and Ben Leard for Auburn. Stuart Pantridge ended up being a great one at Ole Miss. This was true for  Connor Shaw and Phil Petty at South Carolina. BA was a guy who some say was better than Tyler Wilson. He was thrown to the wolves at a Freshman against Bama and last year with a new coach, inexperienced line and receivers. I look for him to have at least 1800 yards passing. We shall see.

ChitownHawg

What I recall is Prestworthy was saying BA should have run more - LAST YEAR while injured. BA has decent wheels and the fact he is running shows how well he must be feeling.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Pig Worshipper

Did he slide down before contact? I sure hope so. Of course if he's forced out of the pocket he should take off running. But we're not going to win many games if Brandon tries to go all Johnny Manziel on everybody. And, other than an infrequent quarterback draw to keep a defense honest, I don't want to see many called running plays for Brandon either.
It's one thing if you're in a close game in the fourth quarter against Alabama and the pocket breaks down - hell, yes, run as hard as you can towards the goal line taking whatever contact you have to to win the game. Otherwise, try and get a first down but slide down before contact if at all possible.

Kevin

Great to hear. Stepping up into the pocket is something I hoped he would start doing
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mike Irwin

Watching him on that play I had the impression he had been coached to do it.
He took off like a rocket. No hesitation like I saw many times last year.

Give Prestworthy props. He saw the future.

There were so many things going on in that scrimmage I forgot to asked Bielema about it. I'm interviewing Chaney later on today. I'll find out if it was something BA did on the spur of the moment or if this is something they're adding to the offense this season.

tophawg19

send him to Van Horn to learn to slide . not like Mallett did the other day . that could have been ugly .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

three hog night

If BA starts running it will make the defense have to keep someone home.  Last year they all left home and came blitzing into ours.   If an LB has to stay home then that helps with TE's and crossing patterns I think?
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hoghearted on August 10, 2014, 05:59:55 am
Scares me. Don't want him hurt again.

What scares me is our defense gave up a 30 yard play to BA!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

onebadrubi

Mike, not being a SA here, but we will face much faster QB's than Allen.  Is this an insight on the defense and a QB is going to scramble on us? 

SemperFi

Brandon Allen is a tough kid that has a whole lot of heart. Can't think for one moment that he isn't aware of all the criticism that's being directed his way and he's still hanging tough. I really don't believe that BA was/is lacking the physical or mental tools to be a very good QB for the Hogs. I  think that between his injury and the inept Receiving Corps he was doomed in 2013. That changes in 2014 with the return of Demetrius Wilson and newcomers Cody Hollister, Jared Cornelius and Kendrick Edwards plus Drew Morgan, which could prove to be a very sure handed and reliable target. The TE's and OL should be stronger as well as the running game, which will take some pressure off of BA from having to make plays by forcing things.

Maybe it's the Homer in me, but I just think that the offense will be far better and more competent in 2014 with Brandon Allen as our QB. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

three hog night

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 10, 2014, 09:41:42 am

As any defense would the first time or 2 if it was not in the scouting report.   The defense will adjust and leave a LB at home or a DT hold his space.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 10, 2014, 09:41:42 am
You didn't see the play. He looked really quick. It was one of those things where you think to yourself, DAMN. Where did that come from?

Later in the scrimmage Peavey took off like that and he did not look as quick as Allen had.

Prestworthy clearly saw BA in HS. I didn't see him a lot. I don't do a lot of HS coverage.
He said BA was faster than some of us thought. I'm thinking he was right.

Let me put it another way. I trust what I see with my own eyes. I know what I saw and I did not have the impression that the defense sucked. My impression was, the linebackers and D-linemen were coming with pressure and the D-Backs were engaged covering receivers. BA took advantage of the situation.

threeNout

Quote from: three hog night on August 10, 2014, 09:47:52 am
As any defense would the first time or 2 if it was not in the scouting report.   The defense will adjust and leave a LB at home or a DT hold his space.

and that's why it's valuable to an offense if the QB is a threat to do that.

being able to recognise the hole is there, AND make the quick decision to exploit it is not an easy thing to develop in a QB, 

That's why someone like JM, who can instinctively know the hole is going to be there, and can quickly exploit it is so tough to deal with, I think he had a 26 yard scamper in Cleveland's opener last night.

We sure don't need BA to be JM, but if he can occasionally make the defense pay for not having that linebacker home, it's a huge lift to the offense.

three hog night

Quote from: threeNout on August 10, 2014, 10:02:30 am
and that's why it's valuable to an offense if the QB is a threat to do that.

being able to recognise the hole is there, AND make the quick decision to exploit it is not an easy thing to develop in a QB, 

That's why someone like JM, who can instinctively know the hole is going to be there, and can quickly exploit it is so tough to deal with, I think he had a 26 yard scamper in Cleveland's opener last night.

We sure don't need BA to be JM, but if he can occasionally make the defense pay for not having that linebacker home, it's a huge lift to the offense.

You know your football and I am glad you posted.

Cinco de Hogo

The opportunity for a QB to take off presents itself in almost every game.  BA has the ability to make some yds in those situations, he's not crippled...this year...yet.

As far a being a play in the playbook, don't know if we need that, any QB should be able to find those opportunities and take advantage of them.

threeNout

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 10, 2014, 10:04:48 am

As far a being a play in the playbook, don't know if we need that, any QB should be able to find those opportunities and take advantage of them.

I'd think it would be a check off he'd do, not a set play,  take it when it's there or proceed to his pass progressions.

BA has the ability to make some yds in those situations, he's not crippled...this year...yet.

It's a fear I have too, with no proven depth behind him.

but it's also why I like our chances at Auburn.  Auburn will be the least prepared, (playbook wise) facing the freshest Allen of anyone else we play all year.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: threeNout on August 10, 2014, 10:08:45 am
I'd think it would be a check off he'd do, not a set play,  take it when it's there or proceed to his pass progressions.

Your probably right there is probably a check off scenario and A QB sneak so plays would be in the playbook.  I guess I was just talking about set plays.

Mike Irwin

The opportunity for a QB to take off presents itself in almost every game.  BA has the ability to make some yds in those situations, he's not crippled...this year...yet.

I agree. What I saw did not appear to be a planned QB draw. Still I don't recall seeing BA do that (in the way that he did it) last year. They almost certainly were discouraging him from it because I clearly remember hearing Chaney say, "Every time he crosses the line of scrimmage with the ball I want to yell to him, GET DOWN. GET ON THE GROUND."

Porked Tongue

BA was a good runner before the injury with a bit more speed than people realized.  He ran a lot more in high school than most would know.  Last year's decision to play him post injury had many implications and one of them was he had to avoid contact at all costs.

By design, he threw balls away quickly and stayed pretty still in the pocket as a precaution.  He simply was an egg shell.  That's why he didn't even practice.

Pork Twain

August 10, 2014, 10:34:19 am #25 Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:46:05 am by Pork Twain
I am happy that this is an added component to his game but having the our QB running the ball will always make me nervous.  For the most part, those guys are not made to take hits from a linebacker, like a RB is.  i am sure the coaches have worked with him on getting down and all but still makes me nervous
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Peter Porker

Anyone who has watched BA in high school knows he can scramble.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Choctaw Hog

Players can't be worried about being hurt while playing.  Be smart, yes, but don't play not to be hurt.  If memory serves me correctly, Allen was hurt on a dive into the end-zone and wasn't even hurt.  That just seemed like freak injury. 

hogville38

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on August 10, 2014, 06:59:17 am
Did he slide down before contact? I sure hope so. Of course if he's forced out of the pocket he should take off running. But we're not going to win many games if Brandon tries to go all Johnny Manziel on everybody. And, other than an infrequent quarterback draw to keep a defense honest, I don't want to see many called running plays for Brandon either.
It's one thing if you're in a close game in the fourth quarter against Alabama and the pocket breaks down - hell, yes, run as hard as you can towards the goal line taking whatever contact you have to to win the game. Otherwise, try and get a first down but slide down before contact if at all possible.
Pretty sure there is no hitting the qb in a scrimage game.

hogville38

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 10, 2014, 09:43:20 am
Mike, not being a SA here, but we will face much faster QB's than Allen.  Is this an insight on the defense and a QB is going to scramble on us?
That's the least of my worries. Would rather qb try to run against us than pass. JMO

Pork Twain

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on August 10, 2014, 11:01:36 am
Players can't be worried about being hurt while playing.  Be smart, yes, but don't play not to be hurt.  If memory serves me correctly, Allen was hurt on a dive into the end-zone and wasn't even hurt.  That just seemed like freak injury. 
Players such as a qb better have a high awareness of the impact a direct hit by a LBer can have on them and the rest of the team.  Peyton can move up the middle when the pocket collapses but he knows he is better served finding a WR/TE/RB for a 2-4 yard dump and let them take the hit and possibly turn it into something more.  Like I said though, I am sure our coaches have beaten the slide into his head to avoid direct hits.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ShadowTheHedgehog

Is it football time yet? Man I am so ready for the season to begin.

Thanks Mike.

Inhogswetrust

Feet first.................................slide not dive. Still a chance of getting hurt but I bet much less.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Every QB who has played the game much at any level is aware that he can sometimes find an opening and just run it.  I bet BA was schooled to NOT RUN IT last year as opposed to lets put in some called plays for him to RUN IT this year.  I suggest he saw the opening and run through it cause he isn't totally being stopped from doing that this year and I believe the QB wasn't allowed to be hit yesterday. 

We had a tough year last year from the QB spot.  Our 2 and 3 QBs weren't trained.  A hurt BA was the best we had.  Derby tried and, IN MY OPINION, to the detriment of AA and Duwop's learning curve.  I do so much wish AA had several games starting from last year so we could sort of believe we have more than one QB to depend on this season.

Anyway a full service QB in college will need to tuck it and run from time to time
to keep a D honest.  Looks like we may have that in BA this year likely because he isn't hurt now.

Speedracer

Wasn't Allen known to have pretty good scrambling ability in high school? I know I know, high school vs SEC and stuff...just saying I thought I had heard that's what Petrino liked in him was that he could run if needed.  I have no problem with him taking off as long as he knows to slide, get out of pounds, and dive without injuring himself.
Like smites bother me.

Dr. Starcs

I've been on the record not necessarily for calling for ba to run up the middle, but to consistently see him step up in the pocket rather than roll backwards and sideways every time he feels pressure.

This may lead to a run, which he is capable of doing.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on August 10, 2014, 06:59:17 am

there was no contact. He was in a green jersey.

And actually, he did this twice. Once on the offensive end and another time inside the defense 25 and would have scored.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 10:17:27 am
I agree. What I saw did not appear to be a planned QB draw. Still I don't recall seeing BA do that (in the way that he did it) last year. They almost certainly were discouraging him from it because I clearly remember hearing Chaney say, "Every time he crosses the line of scrimmage with the ball I want to yell to him, GET DOWN. GET ON THE GROUND."

I don't remember if it was the Louisiana game or the Samford game that he took off up the middle. It seems it was only a 10-15 yds gain, but he ran the ball well when needed in high school.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on August 10, 2014, 11:01:36 am
Maybe they shouldn't be 'worried', but with our QB situation, he needs to understand that he's probably the only QB on campus that can get us to a bowl game. He needs to be mindful of his health. 20 yards isn't worth him being knocked out of 4 or 5 games.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 10, 2014, 01:20:07 pm
Maybe they shouldn't be 'worried', but with our QB situation, he needs to understand that he's probably the only QB on campus that can get us to a bowl game. He needs to be mindful of his health. 20 yards isn't worth him being knocked out of 4 or 5 games.

He needs to live to see another play. It will difficult to go bowling with a 2nd-3rd string quarterback. Take advantage of every opportunity and be smart out there.

Brandon's measureable statistics : As a Recruit (profile)
https://arkansas.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=440961

" GO HOGS "

GuvHog

Actually I feel a little bit better about the depth at QB this season than I did last season. Last season none of the QBs behind BA had even taken a snap in college football. This season the #2 guy has been on campus a year and knows the offense and If necessary, Derby, who got some playing time last season, can move back to QB too. The young Freshman is no slouch either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mike Irwin

I talked to Chaney. He said Allen has always had the freedom to tuck and run but he was dealing with so much last year that he didn't do it with with a lot of confidence.

BA actually did this twice yesterday for 1st downs. Chaney said the burst he displayed was a sign of the difference in BA's confidence level.

But he said not to confuse him with a running QB. They're not drawing up plays for him to show off his running ability.

Pig Worshipper

Looks like a sign of good things to come from Brandon Allen. I do believe he's going to lead us to some close victories this season late in games. If he does it by running or passing it'll still taste just as sweet. Good for him.

Steef

Mike Irwin

Brandon Allen on Media Day to the Razorback Nation:

"I am not fragile. I do not need to be protected by the coaches."

Steef

(sigh)

Mike, I love ya. And I care about the kid's psyche as much as his shoulder.

But you don't have to be fragile to get 'broken' in the SEC. And Brandon has proven himself to be breakable. And the backup situation isn't really improved yet.

For a few first downs?

We have three stellar RB's who will gladly hit those holes for him.

Not that what I think will make any difference at all. But that's what I think.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 08:32:52 pm
Brandon Allen on Media Day to the Razorback Nation:

"I am not fragile. I do not need to be protected by the coaches."
I believe him, but he should still perfect his hook slide.  It's a long season.  Just sayin'.   :razorback:

GuvHog

Quote from: steefhog on August 10, 2014, 08:39:46 pm
(sigh)

Mike, I love ya. And I care about the kid's psyche as much as his shoulder.

But you don't have to be fragile to get 'broken' in the SEC. And Brandon has proven himself to be breakable. And the backup situation isn't really improved yet.

For a few first downs?

We have three stellar RB's who will gladly hit those holes for him.

Not that what I think will make any difference at all. But that's what I think.

The only problem with that Steef is he's not a pocket passer, he's a scrambler with a good arm and the coaches have stated that. He isn't going to stand back there and get his head knocked off if he has an opening to run. As long as he slides at the end of his run, I have no problem with it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Steef

Quote from: GuvHog on August 10, 2014, 08:46:55 pm
The only problem with that Steef is he's not a pocket passer, he's a scrambler with a good arm and the coaches have stated that. He isn't going to stand back there and get his head knocked off if he has an opening to run. As long as he slides at the end of his run, I have no problem with it.

Scrambling out of the pocket, left or right, to buy time for receivers to get clear...is not exactly the same as running up the middle to give howdy to an entire defensive backfield.

This won't be an issue next year and beyond, but it is still an issue this year. I don't have to like it, to believe it's necessary. Strategically, letting BA run up the middle this year is not good planning.

Mike Irwin

For those who are worried Austin Allen did just fine in the scrimmage. I'm pretty confident that he would be the starter if his brother were to be injured again.

The only issue for him is leadership because he's a red shirt freshman. I spoke to him at media day and he knows the coaches are expecting him to take charge of the team in a more authoritative manner when he comes onto the field.

Tyler Wilson had the same challenge when he was the backup. The Auburn game of 2010 changed that in a hurry.