Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema comment from presser

Started by SquidBilly, August 09, 2014, 07:36:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

I am paraphrasing but he said tomorrow would be a big personnel day for the coaches where they were going to review film and get all of the players into their best positions going into next week.  There are obviously positions that are already locked in but it will be interesting to see how the Oline and the back 7 on defense get shuffled around. 

I like the fact that in a short amount of time enough competition has been developed where there are decisions to be made.  Last year we were so thin in these areas that the coaches hands were tied to a point.  I still think depth is a concern in the LB corps and the corner positions but hopefully they can come out of tomorrow with some clear cut #1s and then start working on coaching up the 2s and 3s.

lumphog

I'm impressed with the LB depth. We have some sho nuff SEC MLBs. We may have to depend on some younguns on the outside for depth, but I think we're in the best shape we've been in years.......we got a helluva staff coachin these guys.

Razor6

Good point.  Many good quotes from CBB's presser.

Let's.... BEAT AUBURN!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Cure

Quote from: lumphog on August 09, 2014, 11:21:19 pm
I'm impressed with the LB depth. We have some sho nuff SEC MLBs.
There isn't a true MIKE on campus, they're still going hard after prospects to get one.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Razor6

Cure, what makes a true Mike?  Curious...
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

lefty08

Judging from the comments of coaches ive read id say josh williams is a true mike, and I fully expect himbto be the mike by the middle of the season if not sooner
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hawg IQ

Quote from: Bret Squealema on August 09, 2014, 07:36:40 pm
I am paraphrasing but he said tomorrow would be a big personnel day for the coaches where they were going to review film and get all of the players into their best positions going into next week.  There are obviously positions that are already locked in but it will be interesting to see how the Oline and the back 7 on defense get shuffled around. 

I like the fact that in a short amount of time enough competition has been developed where there are decisions to be made.  Last year we were so thin in these areas that the coaches hands were tied to a point.  I still think depth is a concern in the LB corps and the corner positions but hopefully they can come out of tomorrow with some clear cut #1s and then start working on coaching up the 2s and 3s.

Always going into fall, most fans and yeah sometimes coaches are optimistic. Why ? because its a brand new day and a brand new fall.
     You hear talks about holding talent, schemes back for big games. This year there should be no holding back with Auburn.
Writers, fans and good people on this board tries to be informative and keep up with the latest scrimmages and player development, which is greatly appreciated by myself and many others.

We love our hogs and can't wait until season begins. Yet its gonna take a few games to get the best take on this team and these coaches.

You're gonna see folks predicting a big turn around, so-so year or complete failure. I think fans should just hope for a team bowl worthy somewhere and that's good enough.
In the mean time.... GO HOGS !
go hogs go !

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 07:18:31 am
Judging from the comments of coaches ive read id say josh williams is a true mike, and I fully expect himbto be the mike by the middle of the season if not sooner

I'm just glad that we have some quality athletes in sufficient numbers to provide competition at the LB spots. We may be a little young in terms of experienced depth, but it appears that the play at these positions is improving.

Here is a list of the LB's that we have on the roster per ESPN.

7   Tiquention Coleman         LB   5-10   212   SR   Mauldin, SC
11   Randy Ramsey              LB    6-4   222   FR   Fort Lauderdale, FL
22   Otha Peters                 LB    6-2   230   JR   Covington, LA
31   Keegan Heller               LB    6-0   230   FR   Greenwood, AR
34   Braylon Mitchell            LB    6-3   235   SR   North Little Rock, AR
35   Dwayne Eugene            LB    6-1   236   FR   Marrero, LA
41   Josh Harris                   LB   5-11   200   FR   Pine Bluff, AR
42   Josh Williams                LB    6-2   240   SO   Fort Lauderdale, FL
44   Khalia Hackett              LB    6-3   231   FR   Douglasville, GA
47   Martrell Spaight            LB    6-0   232   SR   North Little Rock, AR
51   Brooks Ellis                   LB    6-2   244   SO   Fayetteville, AR
52   Daunte Carr                  LB    6-3   224   SR   Gainesville, GA
57   Nicholas Thomas-Smith   LB   5-10   235   FR   Chesterfield, MO
Go Hogs Go!

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: lumphog on August 09, 2014, 11:21:19 pm
I'm impressed with the LB depth. We have some sho nuff SEC MLBs. We may have to depend on some younguns on the outside for depth, but I think we're in the best shape we've been in years.......we got a helluva staff coachin these guys.
Not sure if serious? We have one dependable LB right now. I assure you the coaches are concerned about the position.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 07:18:31 am
Williams is third team Mike. Ellis is firmly entrenched there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 10, 2014, 08:43:18 am
Not sure if serious? We have one dependable LB right now. I assure you the coaches are concerned about the position.

Actually, I'm not sure if you are serious? We need more quality, experienced depth, no doubt about that. But according to what the staff is saying, Coleman is playing well within his role, as is Peters, Mitchell, Spaight, Williams and Ellis and true freshmen Ramsey and Eugene have impressed. Not sure how you can assure us that the staff is concerned, unless you have been sitting in on coaches position meetings?

Could the situation be more ideal? Well sure, ideal would be where you had veteran LB's in your two deep who all had 24-36 games of experience with talented freshmen learning from them, but that doesn't happen very often. Alabama's two deep at LB averages 20 games of experience each, Auburn's LB's average 12 games per player in their two deep. We average 14. It could be a lot worse.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 10, 2014, 08:43:18 am

I am curious - do they have leather chairs in the coach's room or vinyl? By your comment on what the coaches are thinking you must have had the priviledge to sit in on their meetings.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Lake City Hog

You guys are having a pissing contest over an interview that in a LOT of cases is designed to motivate certain players. BB could very well be praising a kid that is in direct competition with another kid just to spur on that competition.

We see this every year, coaches build up 3 or 4 kids and praise them so much in the early part of Spring Camp and into the Fall, but when it comes game day they are still 2nd team. It is a long time until we play Game 1 and a LOT can happen.

three hog night

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 10, 2014, 07:54:52 am
I'm just glad that we have some quality athletes in sufficient numbers to provide competition at the LB spots. We may be a little young in terms of experienced depth, but it appears that the play at these positions is improving.

Here is a list of the LB's that we have on the roster per ESPN.

7   Tiquention Coleman         LB   5-10   212   SR   Mauldin, SC
11   Randy Ramsey              LB    6-4   222   FR   Fort Lauderdale, FL
22   Otha Peters                 LB    6-2   230   JR   Covington, LA
31   Keegan Heller               LB    6-0   230   FR   Greenwood, AR
34   Braylon Mitchell            LB    6-3   235   SR   North Little Rock, AR
35   Dwayne Eugene            LB    6-1   236   FR   Marrero, LA
41   Josh Harris                   LB   5-11   200   FR   Pine Bluff, AR
42   Josh Williams                LB    6-2   240   SO   Fort Lauderdale, FL
44   Khalia Hackett              LB    6-3   231   FR   Douglasville, GA
47   Martrell Spaight            LB    6-0   232   SR   North Little Rock, AR
51   Brooks Ellis                   LB    6-2   244   SO   Fayetteville, AR
52   Daunte Carr                  LB    6-3   224   SR   Gainesville, GA
57   Nicholas Thomas-Smith   LB   5-10   235   FR   Chesterfield, MO

Ellis, Peters and Williams are solid LB's that can play MLB.  We will need 3 MLB's as the season goes along because of fatigue and injuries.   THe MLB takes a beating from FB, Guards, and Centers.

We are going to replace Mitchell, Spaight, Coleman and Carr after this season.  The collective talent of the LB corp is improving for this year will be much better NEXT year.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on August 10, 2014, 10:00:31 am
Ellis, Peters and Williams are solid LB's that can play MLB.  We will need 3 MLB's as the season goes along because of fatigue and injuries.   THe MLB takes a beating from FB, Guards, and Centers.

We are going to replace Mitchell, Spaight, Coleman and Carr after this season.  The collective talent of the LB corp is improving for this year will be much better NEXT year.

Just look at that list.

Ramsey may go to 235-240 by next season.
Peters to 235.
Eugene-240
Williams-240
Hackett-235 to 240
Ellis-245

And all are over 6-1.

That is acceptable size for LB's in any SEC program. I shudder to think what some of these kids are going to look like after a full year with Herbert. Now, just keep adding quality recruits to that group.
Go Hogs Go!

lumphog

Yep, the future looks good......We're in alot better shape THIS year than LAST year & It'll show on the field.

GuvHog

Quote from: Razor6 on August 10, 2014, 01:27:29 am
Cure, what makes a true Mike?  Curious...

A big stud run stopper. The last true MLB the Hogs had was Wendell Davis. Jerry Franklin played pretty well there but he was actually an OLB.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: GuvHog on August 10, 2014, 02:55:09 pm
A big stud run stopper. The last true MLB the Hogs had was Wendell Davis. Jerry Franklin played pretty well there but he was actually an OLB.
Wendel Davis? Lol. The 210 pound Wendel Davis?

GuvHog

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 10, 2014, 03:52:38 pm
Wendel Davis? Lol. The 210 pound Wendel Davis?

He may not have been very big but he was a stud run stopper.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TMc

lefty08

Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

chitwnhog

August 10, 2014, 04:56:14 pm #21 Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:31:36 pm by DawgTownHog
Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 04:44:59 pm
Sam olajabutu?

Wasn't Butu  a hybrid LB/S and Jerico Nelson took over that role from him

lefty08

could have been, i actually forgot about nelson. i was just trying to think of physical linebackers we had

three hog night

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 10, 2014, 10:31:03 am
Just look at that list.

Ramsey may go to 235-240 by next season.
Peters to 235.
Eugene-240
Williams-240
Hackett-235 to 240
Ellis-245

And all are over 6-1.

That is acceptable size for LB's in any SEC program. I shudder to think what some of these kids are going to look like after a full year with Herbert. Now, just keep adding quality recruits to that group.

This year is better at LB but as you show it is going to be considerably better next year.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

alwaysnextyear

Quote from: GuvHog on August 10, 2014, 04:00:33 pm
He may not have been very big but he was a stud run stopper.
Not hardly.

RazorFlix

Look.  It's football season.  Optimism is in the air.  We all want the Hogs to do well.  Let's just not get carried away into a 'happy bubble'.  I prefer tempered optimism.  I am very happy with the practice reports but if nearly all practice reports are positive for all teams then how do we tell which teams are underperforming? 

Let's learn from history, temper our optimism, and watch some Hog football.