Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wide Receivers

Started by swinesation, August 09, 2014, 03:10:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 10, 2014, 01:12:55 pm
Thanks Ricepig...Im hoping he gets a chance to really produce at that spot.

He has 4 years to do so and with already his size and strength I think he will be good for us!  (I say 4 years, didn't he redshirt last year?)

chitwnhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 09:24:37 am
Not the same thing. Believe me, Bielema does not in any way resemble the other guy.

I had a coach once who said "Don't believe anything I say in the media" His point? What I say in the media has no bearing on what we are doing as a team.

WashUhog6

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 09:08:23 amBut I was also surprised a few days ago when Bielema said Derby is the true back up QB.  According to Derby he hasn't taken one snap at QB so far so that's odd.

Bielema is one of those coaches who says a lot of odd things. I'm getting used to it.
That's something I started catching onto pretty early last season. We do a lot of debating on this board about some of the things Bielema says, and if you ask me, it's all a waste of time. We have to learn to take things that Bielema says with a grain or salt, so to speak, otherwise we'll all be driven mad.

Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I'd rather rely on conjecture and observation to get the gist of what's going on over what Bielema sometimes says. Let's use the "Derby would be the back-up today" example. That's something he stated only a short time after telling everyone at SEC media days that Derby might be one of the surprise players in the entire conference--obviously, we know he isn't going to surprise the SEC as a backup QB to someone who already has multiple question marks.

You also have the fact that other QBs are getting those reps during the scrimmages. Bielema says something that points in one direction and then contradicts it in another. while We're having to weigh single Bielema comments versus contradictory comments that include a bigger picture plus observation. Based on the oddity of more than a few of Bielema's comments over the past year plus, I get more out of the latter than the former.

lefty08

Quote from: WashUhog6 on August 10, 2014, 04:15:09 pm
That's something I started catching onto pretty early last season. We do a lot of debating on this board about some of the things Bielema says, and if you ask me, it's all a waste of time. We have to learn to take things that Bielema says with a grain or salt, so to speak, otherwise we'll all be driven mad.

Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I'd rather rely on conjecture and observation to get the gist of what's going on over what Bielema sometimes says. Let's use the "Derby would be the back-up today" example. That's something he stated only a short time after telling everyone at SEC media days that Derby might be one of the surprise players in the entire conference. You also have the fact that other QBs are getting those reps during the scrimmages. Bielema says something that points in one direction, while the direct observations one can make say another. Based on the oddity of more than a few of Bielema's comments over the past year plus, I get more out of the latter than the former.

Why dont we just listen to what he does say and take it for what its worth?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

chitwnhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 10, 2014, 03:05:13 pm
He has 4 years to do so and with already his size and strength I think he will be good for us!  (I say 4 years, didn't he redshirt last year?)

Yes Duwop is a RS Freshman.

WashUhog6

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 04:16:57 pm
Why dont we just listen to what he does say and take it for what its worth?
I don't think there's anything wrong with that because it's what is on the record. There's no denying the truth he made a statement when it's there for the world to hear.

I just personally don't think that one can get much insight from a single Bielema comment because of his habit of making odd comments, contradicting his odd comments, and applying differing approaches into practice (example: saying Derby is the back-up "today" while Peavy and AA get the back-up reps).

You'll never see me disagree with the discussion of things he said--as long as he said them. I just don't believe you can get much insight from it.

Oklahawg

Unbelievable.

Today we have posters sniping at Jim Harris (another thread) and Mike Irwin (here). These are two of the finest journalists you can hope to have cover your team. They are also willing to show up on a message board and share off-air (non-print) thoughts. They give you back-chatter ideas that you get nowhere else.

Let's take our pot shots somewhere else.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HawgnCorona

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 10, 2014, 03:05:13 pm

Yep, RSF...Hopefully his athleticism also will give way to play making ability at that position. Again Im hoping for the best for him. He had some pretty good hype in HS so lets see what he does as he develops in the SEC.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

lefty08

Quote from: WashUhog6 on August 10, 2014, 04:24:47 pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with that because it's what is on the record. There's no denying the truth he made a statement when it's there for the world to hear.

I just personally don't think that one can get much insight from a single Bielema comment because of his habit of making odd comments, contradicting his odd comments, and applying differing approaches into practice (example: saying Derby is the back-up "today" while Peavy and AA get the back-up reps).

You'll never see me disagree with the discussion of things he said--as long as he said them. I just don't believe you can get much insight from it.

I agree with that, i think sometimes we just hear what we wanna hear
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 10, 2014, 04:28:04 pm
Unbelievable.

Today we have posters sniping at Jim Harris (another thread) and Mike Irwin (here). These are two of the finest journalists you can hope to have cover your team. They are also willing to show up on a message board and share off-air (non-print) thoughts. They give you back-chatter ideas that you get nowhere else.

Let's take our pot shots somewhere else.

Well it seems to be allowed on Hogville so they continue to do it.

WashUhog6

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 04:33:59 pm
I agree with that, i think sometimes we just hear what we wanna hear
There's no doubt about that--read any Hogville thread and you'll see posters doing that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that he didn't say something, or even that he didn't mean something that he said. I just don't think one can gain much insight from Bielema's thoughts unless you piece together a bigger picture.

I would also like to say this concerning Bielema's comments: I believe whole heartedly that Bielema is a straight shooter and states what is on his mind. But in turn, I don't believe that he's always shrewd or calculated with those comments. That's why he's a guy who says what's on his mind while also possessing a proclivity to make odd statements.

lefty08

Quote from: WashUhog6 on August 10, 2014, 04:46:26 pm
There's no doubt about that--read any Hogville thread and you'll see posters doing that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that he didn't say something, or even that he didn't mean something that he said. I just don't think one can gain much insight from Bielema's thoughts unless you piece together a bigger picture.

I would also like to say this concerning Bielema's comments: I believe whole heartedly that Bielema is a straight shooter and states what is on his mind. But in turn, I don't believe that he's always shrewd or calculated with those comments. That's why he's a guy who says what's on his mind while also possessing a proclivity to make odd statements.

I think we are blessed not to have to listen to boring coach speak during the entire offseason. I think we are on the same page  Go Hogs

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 10, 2014, 01:00:17 pm
Does anyone know if DMitchell has accepted his role at the WR position?
Yes, he said he's fine with it. He had one really nice catch in the scrimmage.
Got behind one of the corners and burned him with some help from Austin Allen.

Duwop said he had a choice, WR or D-back. He said he picked WR because of the carry over knowledge from being a QB.

Country Stylz

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 10, 2014, 01:00:17 pm
Does anyone know if DMitchell has accepted his role at the WR position?
I'd like to see Duwop on that end around this year.

three hog night

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 05:35:05 pm

Duwop said he had a choice, WR or D-back. He said he picked WR because of the carry over knowledge from being a QB.

Duwop will surprise himself and others as the season progresses.   He has to get comfortable and BA has to gain confidence in Duwop.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 05:35:05 pm

Thanks Mike... Im sure he will need more time to jell at the position. Any idea of his potential going forward?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

870hogfan

Coach said Jojo might red shirt.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Country Stylz on August 10, 2014, 06:00:25 pm
I'd like to see Duwop on that end around this year.

From what I have seen he has the talent(speed)...he has the potential to be really good. And it seems few people are discussing this kid.

We have some play makers like Trey, DWill,Hunter, Alex etc...But the more the merrier.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: East TN HAWG on August 10, 2014, 08:41:29 am
So for the people that have seen them in action, does this appear to be an upgrade from last season?  I always thought of Hollister and Morgan as possession receives, are they?  Can any of these receivers stretch the field?

They had Morgan returning kickoffs last year with Marshall so he's gotta have a little speed at least....

chitwnhog

Quote from: 870hogfan on August 11, 2014, 04:05:14 pm
Coach said Jojo might red shirt.

If that is true then we are much better off at the WR position than any of us imagine.