Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wide Receivers

Started by swinesation, August 09, 2014, 03:10:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

August 09, 2014, 03:10:12 pm Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:14:54 pm by swinesation
Coach Bielema clearly said that they are counting on five WR's this year. They are:

- Demetrius Wilson (SR)
- Keon Hatcher (JR)
- Drew Morgan (SO)
- Cody Hollister (SO)
- Jared Cornelius (FR)

No big surprises I guess, except maybe that he didn't mention JoJo or Duwop. Though I reckon it's likely that those two are further behind in developement at the position. If I remember correctly, Cornelius was the only FR WR who was an early enrollee, correct?

lefty08

im not sure thats exactly what he said
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ldfergu

Mike Irwin

lefty08

youre better than that mike, the only thing that i have seen that might be taken that way is that he said "we have 5 good receivers"

its not the same thing in my mind

i think it would be hard to see jojo not getting time this year for one

semantics maybe, but its surely not a quote
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

tophawg19

what about hawkins . you have to be able to find a way to get his speed on the field a bit anyway
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

BPsTheMan

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 09, 2014, 03:55:58 pm
what about hawkins . you have to be able to find a way to get his speed on the field a bit anyway

maybe he said it that way to get Hawkins' attention

masshog2412

Quote from: lefty08 on August 09, 2014, 03:51:52 pm
youre better than that mike, the only thing that i have seen that might be taken that way is that he said "we have 5 good receivers"

I agree with JoJo i think he gets a chance to return kicks and get his feet wet and assuming that goes well maybe we see him running those end arounds Keon ran last year

lefty08

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on August 09, 2014, 03:57:27 pm
maybe he said it that way to get Hawkins' attention

its because he never said that

Mike Irwin

Quote from: lefty08 on August 09, 2014, 03:51:52 pm

I was at the press conference. I was looking at him when he said it. So what's this "better than that" stuff? I didn't say it, he did.

Maybe you're a better mind reader than me. I only know what he said, not what he might have been thinking when he said it.

It's sort of like when he said that Derby would be the backup if BA got hurt. Some have said he didn't really mean that. Maybe that's true but he did say it.

razorback44

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 09, 2014, 03:55:58 pm

Speed isn't the only thing that is important for a WR to be able to do.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Bacon_Bitz

I watched the press conference. He said it exactly the way OP and Mr. Irwin describe it. I remember because I was immediately surprised for some of the same reasons mentioned on here - where does this leave Jojo, Hawkins, Edwards, and Duwop? But I mostly took it as a signal to Keon that he will still be involved. You know, Keon probably knows all the wide, flanker, and slot routes b/c of his experience, so my guess is that he will be a sort of utility receiver that ends up playing more snaps than any of the ones, and becomes a threat to sub in and line up anywhere. But idk I am just making this up. :razorback:

razorback44

Watching it right now and the exact words he said are "I think we've got five very good WR's...the five of these guys just bring something."

azhog10

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 09, 2014, 03:46:51 pm
It pretty much is.
Guess what we heard on the video is a different press conference. All he said was that he has 5 very good receivers. He never said we are only counting on these 5 guys. He just said we have 5 really good receivers. Not we only have 5 guys we can count on. That's a far leap from what was really said.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: azhog10 on August 10, 2014, 01:08:40 am
Guess what we heard on the video is a different press conference. All he said was that he has 5 very good receivers. He never said we are only counting on these 5 guys. He just said we have 5 really good receivers. Not we only have 5 guys we can count on. That's a far leap from what was really said.
You added the "only" part. Nobody else said it. It was my impression that he was saying he had five guys he was counting on. He then listed them. As I recall he initially said four and then he added Hatcher.

My takeaway from that is that he didn't mention Duwop, Robinson, Edwards & Hawkins which doesn't mean they won't play but they don't appear to be in the regular rotation.

lefty08

Ive listened to the press conference several times. I can only assume its the same onee you were there for. Unless words get changed when they are played through a video camera as opposed to hearing them live, id still have to disagree. Those words were never spoken, but I guess we can just agree u jumped the gun a little bit, and just were filling in the blanks

SPAL

You guys are arguing semantics.  If he said " we have 5 very good recievers, " then doesn't it stand to reason those are the 5 he will be counting on?

ricepig

He didn't say I'm only going to play 5 guys, he said he had 5 good ones which was more than he had last year at this time. Hatcher ran with the 1's also, he caught a 41yd pass from BA. There's nothing to keep the other guys from stepping up and getting in the mix, it's up to them.

lefty08

Read my first post. All I said was that wasnt exactly what he said, which is true. Mike and others then attempted to prove me wrong which failed. You are right, its semantics. If you read my other posts on this thread you will see I used that exact word. Its not an argument, rather a discussion to clear things up

chitwnhog

tophawg19

we will use at least 8 throughout the season

Paul

I watched it & got the same impression as lefty. Jojo & Edwards just got there right?  He mentioned them too.  I think they'll see the field a lot this year. 

East TN HAWG

Quote from: swinesation on August 09, 2014, 03:10:12 pm
Coach Bielema clearly said that they are counting on five WR's this year. They are:

- Demetrius Wilson (SR)
- Keon Hatcher (JR)
- Drew Morgan (SO)
- Cody Hollister (SO)
- Jared Cornelius (FR)

No big surprises I guess, except maybe that he didn't mention JoJo or Duwop. Though I reckon it's likely that those two are further behind in developement at the position. If I remember correctly, Cornelius was the only FR WR who was an early enrollee, correct?

So for the people that have seen them in action, does this appear to be an upgrade from last season?  I always thought of Hollister and Morgan as possession receives, are they?  Can any of these receivers stretch the field?

tophawg19

Wilson and Cornelius can both really run

alwaysnextyear

Hawkins will be depth. We're not going to have more than three on the field at a time so five is plenty. Jojo may shirt or they may bring him along slowly.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 07:31:12 am
Read my first post. All I said was that wasnt exactly what he said, which is true. Mike and others then attempted to prove me wrong which failed. You are right, its semantics. If you read my other posts on this thread you will see I used that exact word. Its not an argument, rather a discussion to clear things up
You're like a lot of people who post on this board. You act like it's a contest. We tried to prove you wrong and we failed? Good grief. I didn't try to prove you wrong. I simply gave my perspective from a person who was actually at the presser and heard the full context of what he said
I was surprised by what he said because Duwop had looked really good and Bielema said a lot of good things about him yet clearly Duwop wasn't one of the five Bielema said he was counting on.

But I was also surprised a few days ago when Bielema said Derby is the true back up QB.  According to Derby he hasn't taken one snap at QB so far so that's odd.

Bielema is one of those coaches who says a lot of odd things. I'm getting used to it.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: alwaysnextyear on August 10, 2014, 08:50:49 am
Hawkins will be depth. We're not going to have more than three on the field at a time so five is plenty. Jojo may shirt or they may bring him along slowly.
Exactly.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 09:08:23 am
Bielema is one of those coaches who says a lot of odd things. I'm getting used to it.

That scares me a little Mike.  You know, we had a coach for about 10 years who said a lot of odd things. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

three hog night

This is very early in camp to get worried about what the coach says.   Press Conferences are used as tools of motivation many times.  The WR's do too much running to think we won't play 7-10 guys in a rotation. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 10, 2014, 01:19:13 am
You added the "only" part. Nobody else said it. It was my impression that he was saying he had five guys he was counting on. He then listed them. As I recall he initially said four and then he added Hatcher.

My takeaway from that is that he didn't mention Duwop, Robinson, Edwards & Hawkins which doesn't mean they won't play but they don't appear to be in the regular rotation.

I took him to be saying "as of today" which tells JoJo and Duwop keep improving and you will see the field.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on August 10, 2014, 07:31:12 am

Is this semantics?  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 10, 2014, 09:11:17 am
That scares me a little Mike.  You know, we had a coach for about 10 years who said a lot of odd things.

Good grief some of you guys come on here looking for something to worry about. Relax he isn't Nutt.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 10, 2014, 09:11:17 am
Not the same thing. Believe me, Bielema does not in any way resemble the other guy.

three hog night

This was our first scrimmage.  Let's wait to see what transpires after the important scrimmage on the 16th.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

Paul

Quote from: three hog night on August 10, 2014, 09:14:37 am
This is very early in camp to get worried about what the coach says.   Press Conferences are used as tools of motivation many times.  The WR's do too much running to think we won't play 7-10 guys in a rotation.
Injuries too

three hog night

Quote from: Paul on August 10, 2014, 09:46:48 am
Injuries too

Our def is playing more Physical press coverage = more injuries and fatigue.

razorback44

7 MAYBE but there is no way that we will even come close to approaching 10 guys in the WR rotation with the style of offense we play.  5 to 7 is the more likely number of guys in the regular down-to-down rotation. 

lefty08

You're like a lot of people who post on this board. You act like it's a contest. We tried to prove you wrong and we failed? Good grief. I didn't try to prove you wrong. I simply gave my perspective from a person who was actually at the presser and heard the full context of what he said
I was surprised by what he said because Duwop had looked really good and Bielema said a lot of good things about him yet clearly Duwop wasn't one of the five Bielema said he was counting on.

But I was also surprised a few days ago when Bielema said Derby is the true back up QB.  According to Derby he hasn't taken one snap at QB so far so that's odd.

U sniped me mike.  Your first post said "well he sort of did" and nothing else. No elaborations that you were reading between lines. If it makes you feel better than so be it.

You are right though, it is a contest of sorts. We finally have a coach that doesnt sugarcoat, a straight shooter, yet never before have so many things our coach says been taken out of context. Its just wrong and im tired of it. So maybe I got a little defensive. You are one of us no?

lefty08

Im a lot more worried about what the coach didnt say, no need to word twist, but thats just me

three hog night

Quote from: razorback44 on August 10, 2014, 10:06:37 am
7 MAYBE but there is no way that we will even come close to approaching 10 guys in the WR rotation with the style of offense we play.  5 to 7 is the more likely number of guys in the regular down-to-down rotation.

then tell me who your 7 are?

razorback44

Quote from: three hog night on August 10, 2014, 10:13:41 am
then tell me who your 7 are?

Too early but based off early returns I would say Hatcher, Wilson, Morgan, Cornelius, Hollister and then Robinson and Mitchell based off of athleticism.

three hog night

I have a total of 9 from this thread discussion alone.  We have 4 WR's in this group:

Duwop
Jojo
Hawkins
Edwards

Duwop is already showing out in practice.  Hawkins has been on the squad and knows the position.  Jojo and Edwards are incoming stud freshman to add to the ones that have already stood out in camp below:

- Demetrius Wilson (SR)
- Keon Hatcher (JR)
- Drew Morgan (SO)
- Cody Hollister (SO)
- Jared Cornelius (FR)

BB does say some strange things.  Wonder how Austin Allen and Rafe feels about Derby being #2.   Austin Allen must be way slow, cannot read a D, got no arm, dumb as a box of rocks, yet when given the snaps, comes away with the best results of all the QBs.  Why have any scrimmage if performance in it doesn't mean anything at all the positions.  Then theres the WRs.  Hope he did explain that his position is for right now.  You should always leave the door open for any player to move up if warranted.  Surely that is true that a player can learn and adjust accordingly.  Well at least he didn't refer to us as Alabama like Smile did.

I have never heard it said but I would GUESS that BB likes big lanky possession receivers as opposed to burners.  T.O.P. and wear down the D, I think that's his game at every position on offense.

razorback44

Bielema never said Derby was #2.

ricepig

Quote from: razorback44 on August 10, 2014, 12:50:25 pm
Bielema never said Derby was #2.

Of course he didn't, but it wouldn't work with his post if he did.

lefty08

he hasnt said a lot of things some people wanna believe, hence my reaction to the OP

HawgnCorona

Does anyone know if DMitchell has accepted his role at the WR position?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ricepig

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 10, 2014, 01:00:17 pm
Does anyone know if DMitchell has accepted his role at the WR position?

He has, I don't remember who had it in an article lately, but Smith said he had bought in fully to the switch.

Peter Porker

Is this the "today Derby would be the first backup in" quote you're referring to? The one before camp started?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HawgnCorona

Thanks Ricepig...Im hoping he gets a chance to really produce at that spot.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8