Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Football practice/scrimmage report 8.9.14

Started by Ugly Uncle, August 09, 2014, 01:24:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Starcs

I didn't mean to come off exactly like that.

But what I am saying is I definitely want to see some games before I get my hopes up.

Seems we do this every year, but that's part of fandom I guess. Lol

Uncommon

Quote from: Kevin on August 09, 2014, 04:27:20 pm
Rumored for now. I thought I heard it in a interview but can't find it. So revised to rumor
You were right.  It was on the board the 2 or 3 days I didn't get on here at all.  +1.

chitwnhog

Quote from: rusvegashog on August 09, 2014, 04:28:15 pm
There had been zero talk of Drew Morgan to the point I had almost forgotten about him, sounds like he had quite a day.

He was interviewed(should still be stickied) the other day. Sounds like the kid had the eye on the prize and really worked in the off season.

rusvegashog

^^^^Good to hear and I appreciate the look out. Most of the time on my Hogville app it will only bring up one or two players,  but ill try and bring it up. Thanks again

chitwnhog

Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on August 09, 2014, 05:57:15 pm
How is Cody Hollister looking?

Bielema mentioned in his press conference that he mandated that there only be 4 WR's playing with the 1's and Cody was one of them.

rusvegashog

He also mentioned Hollister w the punt returners which really surprised me.

chitwnhog

Quote from: rusvegashog on August 09, 2014, 06:29:37 pm
He also mentioned Hollister w the punt returners which really surprised me.

The way he worded it I got the feeling Hollister is money securing the ball but not a big threat to take it to the house.

hoghearted

Quote from: DawgTownHog on August 09, 2014, 06:00:02 pm
Bielema mentioned in his press conference that he mandated that there only be 4 WR's playing with the 1's and Cody was one of them.

Is that to maximize number of snaps per player in practice?
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

chitwnhog

Quote from: hoghearted on August 09, 2014, 06:37:36 pm
Is that to maximize number of snaps per player in practice?

I believe he wanted the four best out there with no substitutions. He mentioned that he wanted the ones who will be catching the ball from BA to be out there for this scrimmage.

Swinesong

Quote from: DawgTownHog on August 09, 2014, 06:39:53 pm
I believe he wanted the four best out there with no substitutions. He mentioned that he wanted the ones who will be catching the ball from BA to be out there for this scrimmage.
Or maybe it was simply to get BA to spread the ball around more instead of relying on #4 so much.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Swinesong on August 09, 2014, 07:07:23 pm
  Or maybe it was simply to get BA to spread the ball around more instead of relying on #4 so much.

Watch the press conference. If you get that out of what he said. Ok.

GO

UU did they practice field goals today? I haven't heard much about how Cole Hedlund is adapting.

Phil D

Quote from: GO on August 09, 2014, 08:17:07 pm
UU did they practice field goals today? I haven't heard much about how Cole Hedlund is adapting.

Coach BB said in his presser after the scrimmage they would have a practice for all phases of the kicking game tonight.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

GalaHawg

Denzel Evans? Thanks UU

So happy to hear about Drew Morgan's emergence.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 09, 2014, 04:47:48 pm
I didn't mean to come off exactly like that.

But what I am saying is I definitely want to see some games before I get my hopes up.

Seems we do this every year, but that's part of fandom I guess. Lol

Please don't get that 12-0 from me.  I have been more optimistic about this upcoming season than most in thinking we could win 7, maybe 8 with a bowl game and I didn't see anything that really changed my mind about that today. 

To be honest, I didn't really leave the practice today with any more excitement than I have had already.  I didn't see anyone or anything that just made me want to set my hair on fire and run through the street.

Is our defense going to be better this year?  Yes.  Mostly because of the scheme and aggression.  Outside of Trey Flowers our best players are Frosh and Sophs.

Is our Offensive line going to be better?  It seems so.  They didn't just blow me away by blowing up the line of scrimmage today on every run.

Is Brandon Allen going to be better?  Yes.  Much better.  I didn't see anything out of him today that makes him All-SEC, but he looked pretty good.

Will our Wide receivers be better this year?  They look more dynamic.  Drew Morgan sure showed out today.  Keon Hatcher played well with the 2s.

Now, having said all that, we didn't get to see Bijohn Jackson, Jo Jo Robinson or Alex Collins today and saw very little of Jonathan Williams.  We also only saw the offense and defense working on 1st and 2nd downs for the most part. 

It was also the first real hitting and tackling to the ground this fall.  My expectations of 7 wins this year didn't change today at all.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on August 09, 2014, 08:19:33 pm
My biggest concern is how we have heard how well our qbs and receivers look in practice but it just turned out the past few years that they were not that good, it was just our secondary was awful. How is our secondary looking?

I thought they were playing more aggressive today.  I think they were around the ball on all the throws except for one where Drew Morgan completely beat them on a deep slant from about 25 yards out for a TD.

The defense didn't give up a big play all day.  Not a big play TD I mean.  The offense got some long passes in, but that was usually in man coverage and the receiver had to make a play on a very well thrown ball by our QBs.
Retired Radio Host

tophawg19

sounds like a pretty generic practice as most of the first ones are . take the positives away from this one to keep you fired up till next Saturday . that one should clear things up a bit more . they will have had more time to practice
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: GO on August 09, 2014, 08:17:07 pm

Bret did say that they were going to work on special teams tonight.  He said that both kickers have been kicking well.  He mentioned three competitions between them and their numbers were the same.  He said that they each missed one really long FG attempt, but besides that had been perfect.
Retired Radio Host

tophawg19

both 7 of 8 and both of their misses over 50 yards . appears both have strong legs and are accurate
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

sgfhog

Thank you, UU. I appreciate reading the detailed report.

I like seeing freshmen like Liddell and Ramsey, who were not very highly regarded in last year's national recruiting rankings, getting strong compliments. Bielema really praised Liddell in the video interview.

Cartoon Man

Good report. Nice to have a set of eyes in camp.

Porked Tongue

Maybe Drew will become good like James Shibest.  He only caught 4 as a freshman before exploding for 51 as a soph.

deedster84

After one week, is there a different attitude from last year at this time? Including the coaching?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 09, 2014, 09:29:17 pm
Maybe Drew will become good like James Shibest.  He only caught 4 as a freshman before exploding for 51 as a soph.

Hopefully he doesn't grow up to taunt players as a coach like Shiworst did.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: deedster84 on August 09, 2014, 09:51:28 pm
After one week, is there a different attitude from last year at this time? Including the coaching?

It is hard to tell.  I think there seems to be with the coaches.  We will see as the practices go along.  The players seemed confident last year, but the coaches seem to be more upbeat this year.
Retired Radio Host

MissippHog

Thanks UU for the report.

I never know how to take scrimmage reports.  Did the offense look great because the defense is bad?  Did the defense look good because the offense stinks?  Were they working on specific sets so it made things easy for one or the other?  Too many variables and Auburn can't get here soon enough!

WPS!  GHG!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: MissippHog on August 09, 2014, 10:17:13 pm

I never know how to take scrimmage reports.  Did the offense look great because the defense is bad?  Did the defense look good because the offense stinks?  Were they working on specific sets so it made things easy for one or the other?  Too many variables and Auburn can't get here soon enough!

WPS!  GHG!

Yeah, it is difficult because it is such a small sample size.  When you get to watch them running drills, one on ones, seeing special teams on a daily basis you get a better feel.  Maybe this guy had a better day today, but hasn't done well through out the week.  Maybe this guy was just off today but has had a great camp.  It is a small sample size to try to judge from.
Retired Radio Host

deedster84

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 09, 2014, 10:04:43 pm
It is hard to tell.  I think there seems to be with the coaches.  We will see as the practices go along.  The players seemed confident last year, but the coaches seem to be more upbeat this year.
Thanks for your updates.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: lefty08 on August 09, 2014, 03:04:25 pm
with 8 sacks it would say they were allowed to be aggressive. read the info man

I didn't see anything about sacks in UU report.  He did say the qb's weren't allowed to be hit in a later reply.  So I would say they weren't overly aggressive which makes sense.  Nice attempt at being a smartass though.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Those that saw the scrimmage.  Since the emphasis this week was 1st & 2nd down. Was that all the downs they did ? 

If they didn't get a first down in the first two down, did they return to first & ten
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lefty08 on August 09, 2014, 03:04:25 pm
with 8 sacks it would say they were allowed to be aggressive. read the info man

Those assumed or "touch" sacks can be a little misleading. You never know how many of those would have been true sacks if the QB's had been "live" as well.
Go Hogs Go!

three hog night

Quote from: MissippHog on August 09, 2014, 10:17:13 pm

WPS!  GHG!

You're dead on with this and especially when it is the first scrimmage.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

lefty08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 10, 2014, 12:44:48 am
I didn't see anything about sacks in UU report.  He did say the qb's weren't allowed to be hit in a later reply.  So I would say they weren't overly aggressive which makes sense.  Nice attempt at being a smartass though.

Whoa, nobody was being a smart A at all, it was a tweet that Ricepig has posted on this board. No reason to call names man, we are all fans.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 10, 2014, 08:33:02 am
Those assumed or "touch" sacks can be a little misleading. You never know how many of those would have been true sacks if the QB's had been "live" as well.

With this i agree, the fact they got there that many times could be for many reasons, still seems like a lot in a 90 play scrimmage
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ShadowTheHedgehog

I am still a bit concerned about the many injuries. I know it was said that they were all minor and everything will be fine, but I will feel a lot better when I hear that said players are actually back and at 100%.

Overall it sounds like practice went well, and that we have some good games to look forward to this season. Go HOGS! (I take 7/8 wins this year in a heartbeat so I hope UU is right).

Thanks UU

three hog night

I just talked to somebody that was at practice yesterday for the scrimmage.  I asked him what he thought about the public's perception from media reports.  He said something that was very intriguing that we all forget- the Offense is not going up against last year's defensive scheme and talent.  The Defense is not going up against last year's offense and talent. 

A few of this other thoughts:

The WR and Dback contest is much different with the new WR's added to the mix, but also the physical press coverage is also a big change.   He said the it is mostly the same DB's but they are noticeably better.

The Oline is a lot better than last year.  The INTERIOR Dline lost some good experience and depth, but the defensive Ends as a whole may be better than last year.

He said the LB's are better than he expected but it is too early to tell.  Spaight and Peters are much better and are like new additions since they hardly did anything last year.   He likes the new kid Williams as he looks the part of an SEC MLB.  He says Ellis is going to get a push from Williams and Peters but they will also allow a rotation for all 3 to play all out while in the game.

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

three hog night

Did peters and ellis rotate much in the scrimmage?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: three hog night on August 11, 2014, 09:22:40 am
Did peters and ellis rotate much in the scrimmage?

Yes.  Peters took quite a few snaps and I thought he looked really good.  He passes the eye test.  He LOOKS like an SEC LB.
Retired Radio Host

three hog night

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 11, 2014, 11:21:59 am
Yes.  Peters took quite a few snaps and I thought he looked really good.  He passes the eye test.  He LOOKS like an SEC LB.

MLB is exposed to too many Guards and Centers as well as FB's.   Ellis and Peters can't handle all the punishment and stay fresh.   Ellis had fatigue issues last year.  Peters and Williams will play a lot.

three hog night

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 11, 2014, 05:46:48 pm
Or not.

Ellis and .....Williams will play a lot.  LOL

Khalia Hacket is a big kid with a nasty attitude for MLB.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 09, 2014, 01:24:46 pm

Juan Day:  Man, I like this kid.  I was really surprised by him.  He has some nice moves and a burst of speed.  He also can lower his shoulder and get those extra yards.  I thought he looked very good.  I have ZERO concerns (From what little I've seen of him) if something happens to the guys in front of him and he has to come in and play.  You forget about this kid because he was hurt his whole SR season.  Don't sleep on him, he is a very good back.

I'm late to the party on this thread, but I'm not at all surprised by this update on Day.  My son's team played NLR a couple times a year over the last 4 years, and I consistently thought Day was the best back NLR had.  Tenpenny was the workout freak and had the combine-type numbers, but Day looked the part of a big-time RB on the field.  He had a great size/speed/shiftiness combination that was unlike anything I saw in 7A the last few years.  That's not meant to put down Tenpenny, rather to promote Day, who didn't get enough attention on a talented NLR team.

DOGALUM

How did Kane Whitehurst look?

I'm looking for huge things out of that kid.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

hogwild210

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 12, 2014, 01:12:56 pm
How did Kane Whitehurst look?

I'm looking for huge things out of that kid.

...he transferred to USCe a year or two ago.

Or are you making a joke about the Hogville legend Kane Whitehurst?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hogwild210 on August 12, 2014, 01:16:19 pm
...he transferred to USCe a year or two ago.

Or are you making a joke about the Hogville legend Kane Whitehurst?

No we are all really surprised to hear Kane is gone. Thought he was going to carry us this year.

How did Vin Ascolese look out there?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

DOGALUM

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 12, 2014, 01:57:08 pm
No we are all really surprised to hear Kane is gone. Thought he was going to carry us this year.

Stole my next question.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

hogwild210

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 12, 2014, 01:57:08 pm

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 12, 2014, 04:05:03 pm
Stole my next question.

Alright alright, you rascals.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.