Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does anyone feel like we will proudly play it close with alabama most of the game?

Started by Ben, August 09, 2014, 12:07:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I feel since bama is slightly vulnerable due to scheduling and during the 1964 honor game, arkansas may come out with a little bit of kick. Its going to be a fun game. Esp with the bama fans claimoring that they really won the 1964 title.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

go hogues

We have not scored a single point on them in THREE years. All I expect this year is a field goal.

I do think Bama will get beat by Ole Miss, Auburn and maybe State though
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Jamie Jones

Alabama has had the top recruiting class in five of the last six years. They should, in theory, have the greatest group of football talent in the country. If not in the history of the college football. If you don't agree with that statement, then you don't hold the recruiting rankings in much regard.

That being said, they are still college athletes that are dependent on coaching and strategy to carry them to victory. It is hard to predict a victory over a team that has embarrassed us two years in a row. But they were once without Saban and I still remember how bad they stunk up the field. We were without Bielema (I'm giving a pass on last year for obvious reasons.) and suffering from a pretty bad stretch if events that he had to work through. A change in culture and better athletes and coaches will show a huge difference in the game this year. Can we be competitive? Yes. Will we actually win? I don't know. But that's why we strap on the pads. It is part of the process. And it is why I enjoy watching the thing take shape.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

uams1989

As a Bama fan, I fully expect this year's game to be a lot closer.  I don't say that because I think Bama will be worse, but, I think the Hogs will be better.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

I expect the same BAMA team to show up, very good everywhere.  I expect a decent Hog team to show up.  Looking for us to get beat around 48-17.

razorbackkid

Quote from: uams1989 on August 09, 2014, 01:02:47 pm
As a Bama fan, I fully expect this year's game to be a lot closer.  I don't say that because I think Bama will be worse, but, I think the Hogs will be better.
Should be a game this year and not an extermination.  Go Hogs!
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

PygmalionEffect

I think we can hold bama in the 30s this year, especially if their new QB doesn't come out like a heisman contender.

We'll score, but it's hard to imagine us getting out of the teens.

That's a major improvement to 104 to 0.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ldfergu

All we need to do is get on the board for measureable improvement...

But, I would go out on a limb and say the final score is.....

Alabama 31
Arkansas 17

Its hard to say how there season will go.  Many people think they drop a couple but they are just so far ahead of us from a physicality/athleticism standpoint.  It won't be as ugly as the previous 2 years though, count on that.

Music City Hog

Considering the last 2 years have been a combined score of 104-0, I think getting a FG would be a step in the right direction.

HamIAm

Honoring the 1964 National Championship team at that game is like poking a mean dog with a stick.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: HamIAm on August 09, 2014, 03:54:13 pm
Honoring the 1964 National Championship team at that game is like poking a mean dog with a stick.

Oh, so you don't think honoring our National Champions while playing the only other team that claims the title for that same year is just a coincidence?

Neither do I.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Uncommon

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on August 09, 2014, 04:17:47 pm
Oh, so you don't think honoring our National Champions while playing the only other team that claims the title for that same year is just a coincidence?

Neither do I.
Yeah.  I'm kind of worried how that is going to go considering how disrespectful Alabama fans can sometimes be.  Would hate for them to chant something while those on the '64 team were trying to be honored therefore disrupting the good vibe that was meant to be had.  Think they should've done it for like the LSU game or someone else instead.  Because what is it to LSU fans if we honor the '64 team.  It doesn't mean anything.  Whereas with Alabama fans, it might be taken as a slight and they may try to be disruptive of the ceremony as a result.

HiggiePiggy

I think it will be a closer game.  Right now we don't know anything about the Alabama QB.  I feel like we will lose by 10 to 14 this year. 

Probably a 24-10 game.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bryant Disciple

Mark Richt has referred to the second year of a head coach's tenure as "magical." The Hogs should be HUGELY improved in Bielema's 2nd year. His system and influence should begin to bear fruit. The game should be much closer.

With that said, this is Saban 8th year at Bama. Even the waterboys are four and five star guys... ;-)

Jek Tono Porkins

Nah.

Alabama will do what they do; jam our receivers up at the LOS and force us to run the ball all the time, at which point their big-ass linebackers will shoot up the gaps and stop the run.

On the other side of the ball, Lane Kiffin is a cruddy HC and a terrible person but he knows how to coordinate on offense. They'll roll over us.

We're still about three years away from competing with Alabama. I hope I'm wrong, though.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Professor Pig

I'm not going to speak to our ability to compete with Bama -- or not -- this year. But I do feel as if the Lane Kiffin hire was a stretch and one that will likely compromise their young talent at some point this season.

If we can execute CBB's game plan -- IF: playing solid/fundamental D, while chewing clock on offense, who knows...

But, yeah, I'd settle for more than a field goal in this game.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: uams1989 on August 09, 2014, 01:02:47 pm

As an Arkansas fan, I deeply resent your avatar.  Everyone knows that Alabama was the AP champion at the end of the regular season.  Everyone also knows that Arkansas was the Champion at the end of the complete season, after the Texas team the unbeaten Hogs had beaten was victorious over Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

http://www.si.com/vault/1965/01/11/607262/arkansas-takes-over-at-the-top

Bama has a proud tradition and has absolutely earned several National Championships.  It's pitiful that they try so hard to claim one that anyone looking objectively knows they didn't earn.  They ought to be ashamed and never bring it up.  Instead, they arrogantly parade their narcissism and embarrass themselves.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 10, 2014, 12:55:17 am
As an Arkansas fan, I deeply resent your avatar.  Everyone knows that Alabama was the AP champion at the end of the regular season.  Everyone also knows that Arkansas was the Champion at the end of the complete season, after the Texas team the unbeaten Hogs had beaten was victorious over Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

Bama has a proud tradition and has absolutely earned several National Championships.  It's pitiful that they try so hard to claim one that anyone looking objectively knows they didn't earn.  They ought to be ashamed and never bring it up.  Instead, they arrogantly parade their narcissism and embarrass themselves.

You should resent it more given uams is an Arkansas grad.  You would think he would want to show at least a little class to his alma mater.  Tshirt fandom at its worst. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Razor6

Haven't read this entire thread yet, but I am sold out on Auburn!  Beat em!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

WayneHawg

I just hope we can score on bama this yr,i sat through the entire 52-0 game in fayetteville loss in 2012 ,but the rain through the first half was the best part ,it kept me fresh and awake,lol

rljjr

A touchdown would be a victory. Just score. I expect us to have a realistic chance to win every game except this one. There's something about the Bama team that is a bad matchup, just like we always are matchup problems for LSU or AU.

oldbear

The only team that has ever had a formidable offense that was coached by Lame Kitten, also had Steve Sarkisian as Lamey's co-coordinator. Unless he has truly grown up, Kitten brings dissension to a team.

Saban counteracts him but I am still shocked by the hire. Lame should be good for at least one silly loss this year. Why can't it be us? I really don't believe it, but I can hope. I do think it will be closer. Them in the low to mid 30's and us in the low 20's.

Sweet Feet

Everyone also knows that things were done differently back in those days. The national champ was awarded at the end of the reg season. Sure if we went by todays standards, arkansas would be the champs, but thats not the case. Bama won the AP and UPI national title, which both carried more weight than the FWAA at the time. You gota think, if you already been given the national title before bowl season, you are probably likely not to play as hard in the bowl game. I know it sucks to cloud arkansas' lone national title like that, but bama was the real national champ due to how things were done back then, not today.

TNRazorbacker

We wont be able to move the ball on them. Just bad matchups for us and not good enough at QB.

I do think we'll be able to get a score, maybe 2 late against their second or third teams. I dont think their second and third team O will be able to pile on points as easy this year either. For that reason i dont think this game will be as digraceful, but i dont foresee it being competitive.

42 - 10 Bama

jgphillips3

We cannot win that game.  Bama could lose it, but we can't take it from them if they play well.  I think if both teams play well, we lose 34-17 but let them know we aren't going to roll over and play dead anymore and that tougher games lie in wait for the future.

Steef

Quote from: jgphillips3 on August 10, 2014, 12:07:12 pm
We cannot win that game.  Bama could lose it, but we can't take it from them if they play well.  I think if both teams play well, we lose 34-17 but let them know we aren't going to roll over and play dead anymore and that tougher games lie in wait for the future.

This is a good post.

Bama CAN contribute to their own loss. They've done it before.

There are several unknowns to this game. We don't know how good/bad WE are...and Bama is replacing some big contributors from last year. AND...they have a brand new OC, which means their offense (and newbie QB) are learning a whole new scheme.

This won't be the same Bama team that's been pounding everyone for the last few years. They've got some holes.

uams1989

Wizard,

you and I have had this argument before, but, since you went there...

I don't know the first Bama fan, including me, who is trying hard to claim the 1964 national championships.  Bama was awarded the national championship by THE two major wire-services, and, very few of us even know that Arkansas claims a NC from that year.

Let me make this clear, there are two NC trophies in the Bryant Museum in Tuscaloosa, neither of which are from some local tabloid that was owned by  or made up by a Bama fan.  So, Bama nor its fandom have to try to claim a NC for 1964.  And as I have said numerous times, I have no problem with Arkansas claiming the FWAA trophy, but, it's a little hypocritical for an Arkansas fan to be taking shots at Bama for "trying to claim a trophy."

Bama is not going to give them back...just saying, and while there are other championships Bama claims that I can't justify (1941), 1964 is not the year.

And BTW, you were and are the reason for my avatar.

uams1989

You should resent it more given uams is an Arkansas grad.  You would think he would want to show at least a little class to his alma mater.  Tshirt fandom at its worst. 
[/quote]

So, by your logic, anyone who got an undergrad degree should forget or disown it for their highest or last degree?

Most people I know usually have a primary allegiance to their first school.

I pull for the Hogs because UAMS is my alma mater.  I was born a Bama fan, but, I challenge you to ever find me taking shots at the Hogs or being an obnoxious Bama fan on Hogville.  I don't come here to brag or wallow in Bama's success (or the lack of success for the Hogs.)  I come here because I want the Hogs to do well, and, I enjoy Hogville because it is not a bunch of trolling and flaming like most sites.

My post to this thread was in response to the OP.  It wasn't to "try to claim 1964".

Sweet Feet

Quote from: uams1989 on August 10, 2014, 12:41:01 pm

So, by your logic, anyone who got an undergrad degree should forget or disown it for their highest or last degree?

Most people I know usually have a primary allegiance to their first school.

I pull for the Hogs because UAMS is my alma mater.  I was born a Bama fan, but, I challenge you to ever find me taking shots at the Hogs or being an obnoxious Bama fan on Hogville.  I don't come here to brag or wallow in Bama's success (or the lack of success for the Hogs.)  I come here because I want the Hogs to do well, and, I enjoy Hogville because it is not a bunch of trolling and flaming like most sites.

My post to this thread was in response to the OP.  It wasn't to "try to claim 1964".
Did you ever outa curiosity wonder what would have been like if uams had sports teams? Lol

HogFanatic

Alabama made a mistake in hiring Lane Kiffin. I'm sorry, but I cannot, under any circumstances, see that as a positive for a team that was already about as good as it can possibly get in the collegiate ranks.

I know Saban made the move because he wants to "open up" his offense a little, but as is evidenced by every single other high flying offense in the country, potent offense reduces your ability to field an effective defense. I mean, sure, there is a balance that can be struck there at a point, but Alabama has made their most recent mark on college football by fielding a completely dominant defense. This style change Saban is trying to make is not going to last long, especially under the guidance of that ass-clown who has a sewage treatment plant named in his honor. Never mind the fact that I don't believe those two men will work together too awful long from a pure ego standpoint, I just don't think the change in philosophy will prove to be suited to what Alabama already has going for them.

At the end of the day Saban was just pissed because he lost to two high octane offenses last year. Well Auburn was as big a fluke as I have ever seen in football, and I have to suspect that his team just came out flat against Oklahoma DUE TO the Auburn loss.

ETA the point of me posting in the first place (haha): The game this year should prove much more competitive, but will almost certainly still fall as a loss in Arkansas's column. Alabama is simply more talented at every position group than Arkansas is right now and Saban is still the best coach in the country. Just too much to overcome in year 2.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on August 10, 2014, 01:01:03 am
he went to UAMS, not UAF.

uams1989

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 10, 2014, 02:09:06 pm
Alabama made a mistake in hiring Lane Kiffin. I'm sorry, but I cannot, under any circumstances, see that as a positive for a team that was already about as good as it can possibly get in the collegiate ranks.

I know Saban made the move because he wants to "open up" his offense a little, but as is evidenced by every single other high flying offense in the country, potent offense reduces your ability to field an effective defense. I mean, sure, there is a balance that can be struck there at a point, but Alabama has made their most recent mark on college football by fielding a completely dominant defense. This style change Saban is trying to make is not going to last long, especially under the guidance of that ass-clown who has a sewage treatment plant named in his honor. Never mind the fact that I don't believe those two men will work together too awful long from a pure ego standpoint, I just don't think the change in philosophy will prove to be suited to what Alabama already has going for them.

At the end of the day Saban was just pissed because he lost to two high octane offenses last year. Well Auburn was as big a fluke as I have ever seen in football, and I have to suspect that his team just came out flat against Oklahoma DUE TO the Auburn loss.

ETA the point of me posting in the first place (haha): The game this year should prove much more competitive, but will almost certainly still fall as a loss in Arkansas's column. Alabama is simply more talented at every position group than Arkansas is right now and Saban is still the best coach in the country. Just too much to overcome in year 2.

I've never liked Kiffin, but, you can't say hiring Kiffin was a mistake today. It may turn out that way, but, not yet.

I trust Saban. He knows what he's doing and he has been nothing but complimentary of Kiffin. If you get the chance to watch Kiffin's press conference, last week, he was very humble. He admitted he's probably made more mistakes than anyone...his words not mine. He said he is very grateful and appreciative that Saban gave him this opportunity. I think everyone watched and was very pleased.

So, we'll see. I don't think he'll be there long because if he flops, Saban will send him packing. If he is successful, he'll move back into a HC position somewhere.

Unless you're psychic, we'll have to wait and see.

uams1989

Quote from: Sweet Feet on August 10, 2014, 02:27:31 pm
he went to UAMS, not UAF.

Yeah and when I was there, the U of A, treated us like step children. Only got tickets for 3 games a year in War Memorial and stuck us in the corner if the end zone. They weren't trying to make us Hog fans.

lefty08

Quote from: uams1989 on August 10, 2014, 02:31:50 pm
Yeah and when I was there, the U of A, treated us like step children. Only got tickets for 3 games a year in War Memorial and stuck us in the corner if the end zone. They weren't trying to make us Hog fans.

you poor thing, got handed some bad tickets
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HogFanatic

Quote from: uams1989 on August 10, 2014, 02:28:29 pm
I've never liked Kiffin, but, you can't say hiring Kiffin was a mistake today. It may turn out that way, but, not yet.

I trust Saban. He knows what he's doing and he has been nothing but complimentary of Kiffin. If you get the chance to watch Kiffin's press conference, last week, he was very humble. He admitted he's probably made more mistakes than anyone...his words not mine. He said he is very grateful and appreciative that Saban gave him this opportunity. I think everyone watched and was very pleased.

So, we'll see. I don't think he'll be there long because if he flops, Saban will send him packing. If he is successful, he'll move back into a HC position somewhere.

Unless you're psychic, we'll have to wait and see.

Well sure, we WILL have to wait and see. I'm just expressing my opinion on a fanboard. Same as anyone else. I still expect Alabama to be a damn good football team, but if they drop 2 or more games in the regular season, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Kiffin give another one and done performance. And honestly, I think Alabama loses two and MAYBE three this year.

Mississippi State
LSU
Auburn (only because it will be at the end of the year and Malzahan will have that offense humming once again by then.)

All three of those teams are poised to knock off an Alabama team introducing an entirely new offensive concept with a brand new quarterback.

It's all good though, I gave Alabama the nod over the Hogs (which is what we here are concerned with). I think our game ends up looking like 35-17, or something along those lines.

HiggiePiggy

Lane kiffin is a terrible head coach, but he was a very good coordinator.  Some people are meant to be coordinators. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogFanatic

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 10, 2014, 02:44:56 pm
Lane kiffin is a terrible head coach, but he was a very good coordinator.  Some people are meant to be coordinators.

He was a good co-coordinator. Lane Kiffin has never had any measurable success as a coach whatsoever.

Of course he is grateful for this opportunity. He knows damn well that if it weren't for Saban taking an ENORMOUS risk in hiring him, he would have been coaching high school ball as his next stop.

Furthermore, Kiffin has always been pretty good in interviews. How else would he keep getting kush jobs when he has shown absolutely zero qualifications for said jobs? I guess he has been riding daddy's coat-tails all along as well.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HogFanatic

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 10, 2014, 03:11:53 pm
Curious to hear you expand a bit more on why you think Alabama would lose to Mississippi State and LSU when neither of these teams look to be any better this year than last year...

Mississippi State returns more experience on both sides of the ball than any team in the SEC this season. I feel that they will be at the top of the pack in the West this season. As for LSU? They are always stout on defense and that won't change this year. Furthermore, this will be year number 2 of a new offensive install. Year 1 went pretty well for them, by their standards of offensive measurement. I expect them to be better on offense by a sizable margin, and extremely tough on defense as usual.

Not saying I fully expect Alabama to lose either one of those games, just that if things don't transition smoothly for Alabama to having a new quarterback and a new offensive coordinator, they could be vulnerable to the top dogs in the West (LSU, Auburn, Mississippi State)

LRRandy

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on August 10, 2014, 03:47:01 pm
Mississippi State returns more experience on both sides of the ball than any team in the SEC this season. I feel that they will be at the top of the pack in the West this season. As for LSU? They are always stout on defense and that won't change this year. Furthermore, this will be year number 2 of a new offensive install. Year 1 went pretty well for them, by their standards of offensive measurement. I expect them to be better on offense by a sizable margin, and extremely tough on defense as usual.

Not saying I fully expect Alabama to lose either one of those games, just that if things don't transition smoothly for Alabama to having a new quarterback and a new offensive coordinator, they could be vulnerable to the top dogs in the West (LSU, Auburn, Mississippi State)
i think LSU takes a step backwards offensively due to losing mettenberger.
This is fun, isn't it.

lefty08

LSU is a difficult one to figure for me. As with their coach, u just never know what you are gonna get
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Arkfan

I expect it to be like the last couple 9 years meaning Bama will probably score as many as they want to.

HogFanatic

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 10, 2014, 05:32:57 pm
Fair enough, Ashley.  Miss State has always struck me as one of those teams who tend to perform better when little is expected of them and fails to live up to elevated expectations.  Either way, they usually end up somewhere at (or just below) .500.  I wonder if Mullen is starting to feel a little heat given the fact that State has never finished better than 4th in the West but I suspect that his 4-1 record versus Ole Miss will likely continue to buy him time at Starkville. 

I too think LSU (like Alabama) has to take a step back this year - at least until as LRRandy and Lefty08 have suggested that LSU (and / or Alabama) finds their next QB.

In the end though, I do believe this may be the most open and interesting SEC West race in some time.   

Well, we will just have to see. Losing Mettenberger is a big deal to them obviously, but LSU, like Alabama is a plug-and-play program. I'm pretty sure they have a guy good enough for Cam Cameron to be able to run a ball control offensive if necessary to beat most teams.

It will really just depend on which QB is farther along between LSU and Alabama.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: uams1989 on August 10, 2014, 12:21:45 pm
Wizard,

. . . and, very few of us even know that Arkansas claims a NC from that year.

. . .  it's a little hypocritical for an Arkansas fan to be taking shots at Bama for "trying to claim a trophy."

Bama is not going to give them back...just saying, and while there are other championships Bama claims that I can't justify (1941), 1964 is not the year.

And BTW, you were and are the reason for my avatar.

If an Alabama fan doesn't know "that Arkansas claims (there you go again!)" the 1964 Championship they are either stupid, or haven't done any research at all on the subject.  Ignorance is the kindest description.

What is hypocritical about it?  I don't claim any awards we haven't earned or been awarded.  There is a poll or some sort of obscure rating system that gives Arkansas the 1977 Championship, but I don't and have never claimed that.  Why?  Because a post Bowl vote WAS taken by the major polls that year, and we didn't win the vote, as Bama did not.  Neither of us were Champions and I don't see any Arkansas fans trying to claim it.  We deserved it as much as anyone, but we lost the vote.  Not the same as 1964 when the AP morons were a decade behind the times.  Essentially, the AP and UPI were fine IF their "champions" didn't lose their Bowl games.  When they did, they looked foolish (which they admitted by changing it). 

Why am I the reason for your avatar?  I'm not the dumb ass from one school that doesn't know that the other school was awarded a Championship by AP.  I've known that fact and never denied it for 50 years, unlike Bama fans who, by your own admission, are so ignorant that they don't know any of the facts about that year and who the real champion is.  Did you read Dan Jenkins' story?  He's no Hog fan, but he was about as knowledgeable and respected a college football writer and resource as existed in the 1960's. If he says we're number one in Sports Illustrated's season wrap-up, that's good enough for me and it was for everyone else who was actually THERE at the time and knew what was going on.  Revisionist history by igmos who were NOT there are meaningless.

Quickdraw

Alabama is getting way to much credit. They have a new coordinator with a new offense it will take them a couple of years to get it down. They may beat us but they will not blow us out. The Hogs has improved a lot since last year and I'm excited to see what they can do.

popcornhog

Quote from: Ben on August 09, 2014, 12:07:04 pm
I feel since bama is slightly vulnerable due to scheduling and during the 1964 honor game, arkansas may come out with a little bit of kick. Its going to be a fun game. Esp with the bama fans claimoring that they really won the 1964 title.

Who knows? The season hasn't even started yet.

The OP confuses me.
WPS

popcornhog

Man, talk about being a cry baby. Prior to 65 the bowl season wasn't considered to count in determining the champs by most publications.

Both teams have a legit claim on it. It makes either side look very childish to complain about the other claiming this title.
WPS

GoHogs1091

Their Secondary will probably be better than it was last season.

Derrick Henry is going to be very difficult to deal with.  OU found that out in the Sugar Bowl.  I wouldn't be surprised if both Henry and Georgia's Todd Gurley just flat-out run over/run through the SEC this upcoming season.

Henry and Gurley are not what you would call "normal/ordinary" collegiate RBs.